General travel question - what sized carry-on?!?

jb008

What sized carry-on bag to purchase?  

7 members have voted

1. 1. What sized carry-on?

• "Compact carry-on": 22 in x 14 in x 9 in (total size including wheels and carry handles)
    • "International carry-on": 21.75 in. x 15.75 in. x 7.75 in. (total size including wheels and carry handles)

I can't find a good general question area to post this, so I'm hoping I found an appropriate spot for my question.

I need to buy a new wheelie carry-on and am torn on sizing. I mostly fly domestic, but do enough international travel that I'm considering a smaller carry-on. I'm torn between two options and could use some advice on which will be a better purchase.

Option 1 "Compact carry-on": 22 in x 14 in x 9 in (total size including wheels and carry handles)
Option 2 "International carry-on": 21.75 in. x 15.75 in. x 7.75 in. (total size including wheels and carry handles)

Thanks in advance for people's input!

Option 2 would be within the standards for international flights. While carry-on sizes vary by airline, I would be comfortable taking that size anywhere.  If I find myself on Iceland Air, I will likely be checking that bag. 😃 

1 hour ago, jb008 said:

I can't find a good general question area to post this, so I'm hoping I found an appropriate spot for my question.

I need to buy a new wheelie carry-on and am torn on sizing. I mostly fly domestic, but do enough international travel that I'm considering a smaller carry-on. I'm torn between two options and could use some advice on which will be a better purchase.

Option 1 "Compact carry-on": 22 in x 14 in x 9 in (total size including wheels and carry handles)
Option 2 "International carry-on": 21.75 in. x 15.75 in. x 7.75 in. (total size including wheels and carry handles)

If you are only going to buy one then option 2 so you will be covered for international flights. Personally I have both, one for domestic flights and one for international flights. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jb008 said:

Really depends on the airline. Many international carriers have size AND weight limits. Overhead bins on all airlines vary as well.

United has changed some of its overheads to allow vertical rather than flat loading. So width of bag becomes almost as important as height. Most airlines have max dimensions/weight posted on their website.

4 hours ago, jb008 said:

Whichever is lighter! Also, do your own measurements as manufacturers just love to give the cargo size as the total size. We have IT-Luggage 2-wheelers that are option1 but have been on many overseas flights as well. Alas, IT has gone to all 4-wheel spinners! which take away packing cubic and increase weight.

My latest purchases are 2-wheel underseat bags with dimensions of 12 x 7 x 16 inches. Along with better-organized carry-ons. Can we do it???

Underseat Both.jpg

• Like 1

We have several sizes of both carry on and checked luggage cases.  We decide what we are using based on the airline we are flying.

Depending on the airline now, you also have to be aware of the size (and possibly weight) of what they refer to as a personal item.  

You will see various discussions here on CC about airlines starting to crack down on size and weight of carryon and personal items.

Just as a note, we fly British Air a lot.  Carry on dimensions aside, BA allow the carryon to be up to 23KG.  We are flying on EVA Air in January, and the dimensions for the carry on are the same, but the max weight for the carryon is only 7KG and they weigh them to check.  My smallest lightest case weights 3KG itself with nothing in it.

13 hours ago, crystalspin said:

Whichever is lighter! Also, do your own measurements as manufacturers just love to give the cargo size as the total size. We have IT-Luggage 2-wheelers that are option1 but have been on many overseas flights as well. Alas, IT has gone to all 4-wheel spinners! which take away packing cubic and increase weight.

My latest purchases are 2-wheel underseat bags with dimensions of 12 x 7 x 16 inches. Along with better-organized carry-ons. Can we do it???

Underseat Both.jpg

Hi Crystal, those are really nice!!! What brand are they? And where did you get them?

14 hours ago, crystalspin said:

Wheels and handles take up space weight. I would not get under seat bags with wheels. My under-seat bag hangs on my roller carry on bag or can be carried as a backpack. I think that is a better option. 

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Make sure you check the weight allowance too.  On a trip to Australia and New Zealand last spring both Qantas and Air New Zealand had strict weight allowances (15lb if I remember correctly) for carry-ons and all luggage was weighed and measured at the counter (in Sydney and Christchurch).

• Like 1

17 hours ago, crystalspin said:

Underseat Both.jpg

Depends on the airline and which one of its planes. Look on the airline website for dimensions and weight restrictions.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lois R said:

Hi Crystal, those are really nice!!! What brand are they? And where did you get them?

The blue is VANKEAN and the dusty pink is KROSER, but they are the same bag other than the outside pockets. I chose the fewer/deeper pockets for dr'spin bc he tends to carry tickets and vouchers, while the greater number of smaller pockets suit me and the multitude of small things I have to organize!

They weigh just over 5lb apiece (the same as the discontinued 22" IT rollers!), due to more internal organization than I really need. We're going to try them out on a 10-day driving visit next month!

Source is Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0C6KMKGQ1/

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BRMYWB4B/

• Thanks 1

Thanks all for the input!

I have the Travelpro international rollaboard (which is the 2-wheel version) and I was fine on Lufthansa flying from MUC-AMS (they didn't check weight, thankfully). I like it because it is light and maximizes space since it only has 2 wheels.

I'm now deciding between adding the Travelpro compact carry-on spinner and the international carry-on spinner (4-wheels). Both are about the same size, 38L & 5.1lbs vs 39L & 5.3 lbs.

I'll probably go for Option 2, the international version, since my domestic travel is typically on Delta and I seem to have good luck with them not caring what size my carry-on is as long as it's a typical and smaller carry-on. We inadvertently flew with a 24x15x9.75 inch bag on our last trip and never got a 2nd look from the Delta gate agent or flight attendants even though it was pretty oversized for a carry-on. 

• Like 2

I think of the space I need, and get the smallest bag that accommodates. Partially, this is because I like using one bag, and it’s a back pack, so I hope for lighter weight. I’m small. No 45 lb bags for me.

Compression packing cubes get used, some. I roll clothes tightly. I manage a single dress for the fancy nights, as my partner enjoys the babe on arm aspect. I have two pair of shoes, a sandal for looking nice, a sport sandal for hiking/walking distances/need traction.

I carefully plan what to bring and my mantra is: less is more, if the bases are covered, (addendum, I can wash)

After clothing, I have a small selection of tech (phone, tablet, kindle) and chargers/plugs/cables/adapters. A small toiletries bag. Art supplies (which I’m downsizing with experience, thankfully. I took up watercolor because the dry pans are allowed). Water bottle and an additional insulated bottle for tea/coffee/what have you.

My bag is a 28L COR Surf Island Hopper. They make a slightly larger one.

28L will fit under the seat, if I pack loosely. Otherwise, it’s in the overhead.

This is only one way to think of it. And maybe pieces of it might be useful 

Edited by Truepeacenik
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, CruisingAlong4Now said:

Check your airline.  When travelling intra-Europe, I had my carry on bag weighed!

When we were going to travel on one of the lightest-weight carryon airlines (Norwegian I think), I made a spreadsheet, weighed EVERYTHING on my multi-purpose scale, bought Eagle Creek Specter packing cubes to replace my heavy eBay ones, thinned out everything possible, and cross-packed to distribute the weight. Then they didn't even weigh our bags!

Possibly the fact that I picked each one up with two fingers? IDK

Edited by crystalspin
  • Like 1

On 10/20/2023 at 5:02 PM, crystalspin said:

Whichever is lighter! Also, do your own measurements as manufacturers just love to give the cargo size as the total size. We have IT-Luggage 2-wheelers that are option1 but have been on many overseas flights as well.

I, too, purchased (and love) my super lightweight IT carry on.  I bought it specifically for international use so I could stay under the very small size/weight restrictions.   Careful planning and packing have allowed me to travel for 3 weeks with only my IT carry-on and a tiny collapsible nylon backpack as my purse (travel docs, meds, $, snacks).    And yes, this included dressing for dinner as well as formal nights.  It's a fun challenge. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My daughter and I like the british designed CabinMax style carry ons that are a backpack. They are exactly the size Norwegian/Norse, Ryanair, Easyjet, etc. which means pretty much all the budget airlines. They're about 40-42 liters, firmish canvas rectangles with zippered compartments, and they hold a LOT. 8-10 outfits. We have used them on month long trips and only did laundry once and on several 16-18 day trips.  Amazon and some of the other brands have copied them so there are plenty to choose from now.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, DawnontheRiviera said:

My daughter and I like the british designed CabinMax style carry ons that are a backpack. They are exactly the size Norwegian/Norse, Ryanair, Easyjet, etc. which means pretty much all the budget airlines. They're about 40-42 liters, firmish canvas rectangles with zippered compartments, and they hold a LOT. 8-10 outfits. We have used them on month long trips and only did laundry once and on several 16-18 day trips.  Amazon and some of the other brands have copied them so there are plenty to choose from now.

That type of bag is great and there are many brands to choose from. The problem is for many of us at a certain age or disability we need roller bags. I combine a roller bag with an underseat personal item which is a backpack style without rollers that can be attached to a roller bag. Then I can roll both bags. 

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 2