Royal Caribbean's ropes course-style attraction on Icon of the Seas costs $89

NightOne

8 hours ago, CruisingHogFan said:

I would rather pay for things I want to do vs. just increasing the cruise fare to include everything for “free”.

I used to feel the same way, but cruise fares are increasing as well as adding additional charges for as many things as they can possibly charge for. 

• Like 2

WOW!  I looked at the "course" and holy $##@, what a joke.    Apparently it's called a "ride" the 90 seconds is what they call a drop over the edge of the ship?   Unclear what this is... 

We got off the Carnival Venezia this summer and that ship has an actual ropes course and it's free.  Kids has a blast for hours every day, heck even I did. 

The way RCI is going, I don't think I'll be going back.  At least not anytime soon.

North Star, Ropes.........Up next....... Flow rider, slides, mini golf, pool pass, lounge chair rental, rock wall, shows, food at Promenade cafe/Sorrento's/El Loco Fresh, daily room cleaning, more $$ extra items at dinner.......  The list can go in for ever.  

I don't think we've seen the end of charges and changes. 

M

7 hours ago, young_ens said:

WOW!  I looked at the "course" and holy $##@, what a joke.    Apparently it's called a "ride" the 90 seconds is what they call a drop over the edge of the ship?   Unclear what this is... 

We got off the Carnival Venezia this summer and that ship has an actual ropes course and it's free.  Kids has a blast for hours every day, heck even I did. 

The way RCI is going, I don't think I'll be going back.  At least not anytime soon.

On MSC a couple of weeks ago the rope course was free.

53 minutes ago, bretts173 said:

Still free to sit around the bars listening to all the "experienced" cruisers moan about how everything was better back in my day.

One need not pay for a cruise or go to a bar if you’re into that. Just read CruiseCritic; somebody will post a moan soon enough🤣

Edited by Starry Eyes

On 11/21/2023 at 11:33 PM, Jenna said:

North Star you can at least do for free on sea days

We just got back from Odyssey TA on November 11th, and the North Star was free for most of the cruise.  (15 nights).   We did it a couple of times during the trip.  So, maybe it depends on the sailing whether they decide to charge for it or not!!  

We were VERY loyal to royal.  VERY.  Now we are new to cruising, having only taken our first cruise in Jan of 2022.  6 cruises later and we have only 1 more booked on RCCL and 3 booked on Carnival.  Not all entirely due to the pricing, but that has crept in.  I am not one of those that jump all over Royal at the smallest mistake but this sort of thing is precisely why at least for now I think they are losing the value proposition.  If they delivered a top notch, luxury style experience then by all means charge for it.  They don't.  Period.  Absolutely NOTHING at all wrong with their experience for us (that is our own personal opinion), but the scales have tipped and their costing is out of whack.  Sure hope they recognize this before it continues.  However with their occupancy rates sky high my guess is they won't since people appear to be continuing to pay.    

On 11/21/2023 at 8:18 PM, Starry Eyes said:

I guess that’s another reason I don’t want to sail Icon (at least while she is new).  If other people want to pay that much for a rope course, I hope they have a blast…and I hope RCI pays down more debt.

Once they pay down the debt and people are still paying high prices, there's no way they will lower the prices. Wouldn't make sense for them to. When they start losing money is when they will lower the prices.

• Like 1

On 11/21/2023 at 8:59 PM, Sunshine3601 said:

Pretty sure it's free on port days and a charge for sea days.

I never understood why they do it like this

If I want to look out at the vast ocean we either go to our balcony or up on deck. We did it in port which was much more interesting.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, ReneeFLL said:

If I want to look out at the vast ocean we either go to our balcony or up on deck. We did it in port which was much more interesting.

Sea day = captive audience.  An activity to do.

38 minutes ago, ReneeFLL said:

The extended experience goes both up and out the side of the ship, can't do that in port.

How does it compare in size to others such as NCL Escape and MSC? While I'd never in a million years pay $90 I'm curious why they think it's worth it.

Escape was great and I'd consider a charge up to $20 fair value as you could spend an hour up there. MSC I wouldn't go far above $5.

But I mean there's people who book a cruise and then pay for speciality dining at every meal, or $1000 to sit in a fancy hut on an island so I guess there's people who will pay for this.

Edited by SquishTheWhale

Icon is already expensive enough, the nickel and diming is insane. I have to wonder what other attractions will come with an additional price tag. Celebrity and Virgin are looking better and better, if Royal starts nickel and diming any more across the fleet we may "jump ship" to one of those two. 

On 11/26/2023 at 6:02 PM, Norwich Cruiser said:

On MSC a couple of weeks ago the rope course was free.

We looked at MSC, are considering them sometime in the future.   What's your review of their food?  I've heard some say it's ok, others love or hate....