The Fleet Report and Daily for Monday March 11th, 2024

kazu

Posted (edited)

Happy Monday morning from a sea day on the NS.  What a difference a week makes with the passengers.  The ship is full!  Many children, they were up late”dancing” in BB Kings.  Many around us were talking about how inappropriate it was to have young children in a nightclub until 11:30.  The BB King band is fantastic!  Outstanding saxophone and trumpet player,  glad all group members remained onboard this week.  The duel piano players are not very good and neither is the Rolling Stone band.  I’ll miss BB Kings on the smaller ships. 

Happily, the staff at the Seaview pool know me so service remains great.  We are having wonderful meals in CO, we asked to be seated in the same servers section every meal.  Our stewards keep the cabin sparkling,  Looking forward to the Eastern Caribbean ports this week.

Was surprised to see this notice on the Nav App this am.  Wonder if it will be enforced?IMG_0187.thumb.png.e5d19c3e2c87a2e06f3092328b36242b.png

Positive thoughts to all who need them.  Cheers to those celebrating and cruising.

Edited by 0106
  • Like 27
  • Thanks 3

Posted (edited)

311 is a good service. Covid - ugh!

Pass on the meal & drink, yes to the wine. I've been to the port, but for cruising it's really been San Pedro (on Princess).

Work is very busy today, but first up is PT where they'll do a new evaluation. 

@dfish Happy Birthday to Sue 🎉🥳🎂

@Denise T prayers 🙏for Fiona.

Currently 50° headed to 72°.

Prayers and positive thoughts for all. 

20240311_070003.thumb.jpg.1b3d738ead4e9b5b7095f6157158f913.jpg

Edited by Haljo1935
Additional comment
  • Like 28

Thank you Jacqui & Roy for today’s report and maps! Hope you are feeling better Jacqui!

Vanessa, I know things are not back to 100% for you, but I love reading about what you are able to do now & how much sleep you are getting. Thank you for keeping up with us.

My Sister is gaining strength and able to do some activities by herself. Good thing too, because her temporary home leaves a lot to be desired. Neither she nor her roomie got a supper last night. Luckily the medication nurse rustled up some cheese and crackers & Ensure. @Quartzsite Cruiser Lenda, Encompass is tracking her and she will transfer as soon as a bed opens up. It can not be too soon. 

@smitty34877 Terry, my Sister’s 16 year old grandson is staying with me, and I can only think how my situation is a bit similar to yours. 😎 Luckily he is a great young man. He just passed his learner’s permit exam and once his certificate arrives, he will start driving school. 

Prayers for all who need our support. Hats off to the caretakers!

Cheers to all who are celebrating!

May we each find a reason to smile today. 

Matahiwi Estate Sauvignon Blanc 2022

Picked the 2022 vintage of this NZ wine, since it should be easy to find and has lots of consumer fans and at least one critic score of 92. Online prices start at $15.99. 

Distributor notes

Matahiwi is sheltered by the Tararuas mountain range and enjoys a long and dry growing season with balmy warm days and pleasantly cool nights. The climate and the exposed stony sub-soils make the area ideal for growing grapes. Alistair Scott’s vision was to establish a wine company capable of producing world-class wines and to this day that vision has not changed. As a Pinot Noir enthusiast, Alastair has focused his efforts on this notoriously complicated but delicious variety. He planted Matahiwi’s 80-hectare single vineyard with 60% Pinot Noir and the balance with Sauvignon Blanc and Pinot Gris. Alastair and Jane share a vision and a passion to make wines to reflect a purity of fruit and a sense of place by staying true to the characteristics of the local area.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 14

Good morning all. Chilly here but the sun is shining. Makes such a difference.

@kazuwindsor does have a 311 system, phone and online. Not sure if it is an Ontario thing or an individual city thing. I have used it to report our street being missed for garbage pickup, to report dumping at our local park, etc. it works quite well. You get a case number and can monitor the follow-up. 

we arrived home from our winter in Florida on the day COVID was declared a pandemic. Who knew that our lives would be turned upside down for so long. 

still working on taxes. Three grandchildren completed. Will complete two adults today. Waiting for paperwork to complete ours and will seek professional help to complete my father’s final return. I’ve encountered an issue I don’t understand. Still have til end of April so all is good.

prayers for those that need them and a celebratory shout out to those travelling or celebrating a special event.

• Like 27

36 minutes ago, 0106 said:

Was surprised to see this notice on the Nav App this am.  Wonder if it will be enforced?IMG_0187.thumb.png.e5d19c3e2c87a2e06f3092328b36242b.png

It would be a very pleasant surprise if it were enforced 😉 🤞 

@Denise T prayers for Fiona 🙏 

30 minutes ago, Haljo1935 said:

Work is very busy today, but first up is PT where they'll do a new evaluation. 

Best wishes for your PT appointment.  Hoping they see improvement and can help further it 🤞 

20 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

My Sister is gaining strength and able to do some activities by herself. Good thing too, because her temporary home leaves a lot to be desired. Neither she nor her roomie got a supper last night. Luckily the medication nurse rustled up some cheese and crackers & Ensure. @Quartzsite Cruiser Lenda, Encompass is tracking her and she will transfer as soon as a bed opens up. It can not be too soon. 

OMG - no dinner?  that’s awful 😡. Thank heavens you are her advocate (and her roomie’s).  I hope she can be transferred fast 🙏 

3 minutes ago, superoma said:

@kazuwindsor does have a 311 system, phone and online. Not sure if it is an Ontario thing or an individual city thing. I have used it to report our street being missed for garbage pickup, to report dumping at our local park, etc. it works quite well. You get a case number and can monitor the follow-up. 

Oh thanks, Eva.  I am happy to stand corrected.  We don’t have it here and I thought when I read it was only in the United States.  That’s great!

3 minutes ago, superoma said:

will seek professional help to complete my father’s final return. I’ve encountered an issue I don’t understand. Still have til end of April so all is good.

You are very wise to do that.  Final tax returns are complicated.  I too used professional help last year for Jose’s and the trust one that had to be done because of the stupid $2500.  I have no idea why that is not tax free.  It sure doesn’t cover the cost much when you lose a loved one 😔 

• Like 24
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

Sandi @StLouisCruisers.

Congratulations to your DGD Morgan as she moves into her new home today.

92df743cf917415ec738fcdbeb815bd0.gif

Thank you very, very much Graham!  She's so happy already.  The student apartment she shared with a couple of roommates was furnished with bedroom furniture, living room furniture and kitchen items.  So she literally has nothing but clothes, books and toiletries to move.  No mattress, lamps, seating or dishes.  Should make for a fast move.  Slowly she'll get items and I'm willing to donate some of our "stuff".  DD ordered herself new barstools as she had already planned to do that, and will take her old ones down and anything else she can think of.  Morgan's Dad will hopefully pony up for a sofa of some kind.  I think Morgan is going to order a mattress from Amazon!  Her older sister ordered hers from there recently and sent a link to li'l sis.  So it will come together.

47 minutes ago, dfish said:

Good morning, everyone!

It is a cold start to the day here in mid-Michigan.  Currently 27F, it is supposed to warm up to 58 with full sunshine.  The sunshine part sounds wonderful!  I haven't seen the birthday girl yet this morning, but she is surely going to be surprised to receive so many birthday greetings from the Daily.  @StLouisCruisers I'm happy Morgan gets to move into her new apartment and can feel safe.  @smitty34877 How wonderful that DS and family are enjoying Farkel.  It is an easy game to learn and lots of fun.  The language sometimes flies around here when the dice don't cooperate.  But, that is part of the fun.  

Not much on the agenda today.  I'm going to the pool for water fitness and Sue is going to walk the track.  We're supposed to go out to dinner with DS Mary Jo tonight to celebrate the birthday girl.  

The first recipe today has some interesting twists to it - dried apricots, for one.  I'm not a fan of lamb, so would probably never attempt this, although it looks good.   https://www.themediterraneandish.com/moroccan-lamb-stew-recipe/

lambstew1.thumb.jpg.19d27d03b215155f8ef15c3ba39515fc.jpg

Here's one for the instant pot. The spice blend in this one sounds fabulous!  https://www.feastingathome.com/instant-pot-middle-eastern-lamb-stew/

lambstew2.jpg.c20bc4d4d1dd105393e7658a5d7d06ec.jpg

This recipe was devised with the Daily in mind.  The secret ingredient is butternut squash.  I knew I had to include it.  https://themom100.com/recipe/moroccan-lamb-butternut-squash-stew/

lambstew3.thumb.jpg.470a74d6f9888eef4d1fff7e36a43299.jpg

Wishing you all a wonderful day.

Thank you Debbie for your good wishes for Morgan!

36 minutes ago, Haljo1935 said:

@StLouisCruisers I hope Morgan enjoys her new home; I know you're relieved she is moving.

@grapau27 this is so sweet of you to post.

Very relieved she's moving and out of that dangerous area.  Thank you!

20 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

Thank you Jacqui & Roy for today’s report and maps! Hope you are feeling better Jacqui!

Vanessa, I know things are not back to 100% for you, but I love reading about what you are able to do now & how much sleep you are getting. Thank you for keeping up with us.

@smitty34877 Terry, my Sister’s 16 year old grandson is staying with me, and I can only think how my situation is a bit similar to yours. 😎 Luckily he is a great young man. He just passed his learner’s permit exam and once his certificate arrives, he will start driving school. 

Prayers for all who need our support. Hats off to the caretakers!

Cheers to all who are celebrating!

May we each find a reason to smile today. 

Matahiwi Estate Sauvignon Blanc 2022

Picked the 2022 vintage of this NZ wine, since it should be easy to find and has lots of consumer fans and at least one critic score of 92. Online prices start at $15.99. 

Distributor notes

Matahiwi is sheltered by the Tararuas mountain range and enjoys a long and dry growing season with balmy warm days and pleasantly cool nights. The climate and the exposed stony sub-soils make the area ideal for growing grapes. Alistair Scott’s vision was to establish a wine company capable of producing world-class wines and to this day that vision has not changed. As a Pinot Noir enthusiast, Alastair has focused his efforts on this notoriously complicated but delicious variety. He planted Matahiwi’s 80-hectare single vineyard with 60% Pinot Noir and the balance with Sauvignon Blanc and Pinot Gris. Alastair and Jane share a vision and a passion to make wines to reflect a purity of fruit and a sense of place by staying true to the characteristics of the local area.

Hoping your DS gets into the better facility soon Ann!  It's great she's doing so well with her activity level.  Someone at the current place should be reprimanded for not bringing dinner to the patients.  That's ridiculous!

• Like 21
  • Thanks 3

Thank you Rich, Jacqui, Vanessa, Debbie, Ann, and Dixie, wishing healing for Jacqui, Happy Birthday to Sue, and a wonderful house warming for Morgan.

Strange but when I googled 311 it came  up with a music group but I knew what it should have been and Graham nailed it.  We have it in at leas most of Maryland, and it is a godsend for our 911 operators.  While we are tired of Covid it is not tired of us.  Every day should be debunking day.

Two sad days in history.  I had a few more days on QM2 before Cunard decided the World Cruise could not go on.  People who declared they could not fly were permitted to stay on board to Southampton operating as a "commercial ship" with bare minimal services but most of us were put up in hotels until they could arrange flights for us.

I have sailed to/from San Pedro on Crystal several times and once from Long Beach on Carnival Inspiration.  The cruise terminal there is the original hanger for the "Spruce Goose". 

The meal looks interesting.  My alternative is Grandma's Chicken Noodle Soup, Veal Parmigiana, and Ricotta Raspberry Tart as served on MS Prinsendam March 11, 2019:

dishes11.jpg

A chilly and very windy day here.

Roy

• Like 30
  • Thanks 4

Good Monday Morning Dailyites!  I did wake up thinking it was Sunday, but i think that was because of the time change.  This morning we take Tigger to the vets, so a lot to do this morning before we go.

Its somewhat sunny, and 37 degrees.  We watched the Holdovers last night.  And we really enjoyed it.  

@Denise TI hope your cat feels better soon.  

Debunking news?  There is a lot to debunk, mainly because the news started reporting things out of context and wants to make that the news.  

Have you not lost someone due to Covid?

COVID-19 global excess mortality

While 1,813,188 COVID-19 deaths were reported in 2020,
recent WHO estimates suggest an
excess mortality of at least 3,000,000.

Monday-Cat-Meme-Funny-Image-Photo-Joke-09.jpg

• Like 27
  • Haha 1

Windy and chilly in north Jersey, even though it might reach upper 40s. The gray continues but I’m encouraged to see a sun symbol on the weather app for the hour prior to sunset!  

Monday means getting back to business… calls to make, plug some more on taxes, appointments to confirm. Still haven’t received mammogram CD images from Maryland, have this week still, appt is next Monday… if they don’t come I’ll give new radiology the info to chase them, maybe they’ll have better luck. Early supper tonight in the dining room on the other side of our complex but close to the woodworkers shop where there’s a meeting tonight so we’ll learn about all that. 

🎂 Happy Birthday Sue with a pleasant dinner with your sisters! 

Blessings to all in need and cheers to all celebrating. 🎉 

@cat shepard Ann, hoping your sister can get moved again soon! 🤞 Enjoy your great-nephew, it can be a lift to have youthful energy around us!  

Thanks for the updates from at sea Bruce, Tina, Pennie…. 
Smooth travels to all away, and welcome home Brenda 🤞no surprises 🫣
Maureen

• Like 26
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  We don't have 311 here on the "frozen tundra", it's good to see some folks debunking things that have been put forward as factual, and I know we haven't seen the last of Covid 19, as one of our neighbours came down with it just last week.

March 11th remains forever in my memory because it was on that day in 2011 when the massive 9.1 earthquake struck Japan.  Our son and his fiance were living in Tokyo, he was teaching kindergarten in Chiba when it happened.  The children were dispatched with their parents and he began his trek of nearly 40 miles to their home, starting at 3PM.  Because there were no trains running, he ended up walking most of the way (caught a ride for a couple of miles with another teacher), not reaching their apartment until 10AM the following morning.  People along the way were so wonderful, offering him food, drink, and if they had power, a place to charge his phone and laptop.  Thankfully he, his fiance, her family and their friends were all safe, but there were thousands of others who lost their lives, their homes, their livelihoods.  We'll keep a candle burning in memory of all of them today.

@JazzyVthank you for remembering that today is DH's CT scan; I have to wake him up in a little while so he can have a big breakfast, as he can't eat for 4 hours before the scan which is at 1PM.  

@dfishHappy Birthday to Sue, with many happy, healthy returns of the day!

@StLouisCruisers I'm happy to hear Morgan is in a good place now, even without furniture.  I'm sure it won't take long before she has enough to be comfortable.

Yesterday was productive, I was able to make 3 more sets of coasters to add to the collection.  I told DH that I have enough fabric that I think I'll make enough to be able to give a set to everyone who comes to Summerfest in July as a thank you gift for attending.  

I'm going to let others enjoy the white wine, will take a pass on the drink, and would love to try the menu suggestion, but DH doesn't like lamb, so won't be making it.  If I saw it on a restaurant menu, I'd like to try it, especially the one with dried apricots - that sounds yummy.  As soon as DH is finished his CT scan, we'll go for a late lunch which means we'll likely just be having some leftovers of yesterday's salmon and salad at the kitchen table late tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who is in need, in grief, in pain, and in wars not of their making.  Cheers to all who have celebrations.

Smooth Sailing!  ☺️☺️☺️

Gerry

Edited by ger_77
  • Like 26
  • Thanks 3

Good Monday morning!   Thanks for the Daily and maps Jacqui and Roy!   

Vanessa thank you for the Cares and Celebrations lists.  Prayers for those who need it and those in war zones, Ukraine and the innocents in Gaza.  @StLouisCruisers so happy to read that Morgan will be settling into her new apartment.   

I have to sign onto five ours of Zoom classes in a few minutes.   Have a lovely Monday!  Nancy 

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1

Good morning from a sunny, windy and cold Boston.  Thanks for the daily updates.  I don’t think that I’ll celebrate the days today but I do like the quote.  The meal and drink suggestions sound nice.  I’ve been to today’s port several times but not by ship.  Prayers for those on our prayer list.  Cheers to everyone celebrating happy events today.  Happy birthday to @dfish’s sister Sue! 🎈🥂

• Like 24

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  We don't have 311 here on the "frozen tundra", it's good to see some folks debunking things that have been put forward as factual, and I know we haven't seen the last of Covid 19, as one of our neighbours came down with it just last week.

March 11th remains forever in my memory because it was on that day in 2011 when the massive 9.1 earthquake struck Japan.  Our son and his fiance were living in Tokyo, he was teaching kindergarten in Chiba when it happened.  The children were dispatched with their parents and he began his trek of nearly 40 miles to their home, starting at 3PM.  Because there were no trains running, he ended up walking most of the way (caught a ride for a couple of miles with another teacher), not reaching their apartment until 10AM the following morning.  People along the way were so wonderful, offering him food, drink, and if they had power, a place to charge his phone and laptop.  Thankfully he, his fiance, her family and their friends were all safe, but there were thousands of others who lost their lives, their homes, their livelihoods.  We'll keep a candle burning in memory of all of them today.

@JazzyVthank you for remembering that today is DH's CT scan; I have to wake him up in a little while so he can have a big breakfast, as he can't eat for 4 hours before the scan which is at 1PM.  

@dfishHappy Birthday to Sue, with many happy, healthy returns of the day!

@StLouisCruisers I'm happy to hear Morgan is in a good place now, even without furniture.  I'm sure it won't take long before she has enough to be comfortable.

Yesterday was productive, I was able to make 3 more sets of coasters to add to the collection.  I told DH that I have enough fabric that I think I'll make enough to be able to give a set to everyone who comes to Summerfest in July as a thank you gift for attending.  

I'm going to let others enjoy the white wine, will take a pass on the drink, and would love to try the menu suggestion, but DH doesn't like lamb, so won't be making it.  If I saw it on a restaurant menu, I'd like to try it, especially the one with dried apricots - that sounds yummy.  As soon as DH is finished his CT scan, we'll go for a late lunch which means we'll likely just be having some leftovers of yesterday's salmon and salad at the kitchen table late tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who is in need, in grief, in pain, and in wars not of their making.  Cheers to all who have celebrations.

Smooth Sailing!  ☺️☺️☺️

Gerry

Gerry, thank you for the warm wishes for Morgan.  I just remembered DD told me yesterday Morgan went to see a new therapist recommended by her doctor back in Ohio and really liked her so that sounds promising.  Hopefully this PTSD will be conquered!

Good luck to DH at his CT scan!

18 minutes ago, ottahand7 said:

Good Monday morning!   Thanks for the Daily and maps Jacqui and Roy!   

Vanessa thank you for the Cares and Celebrations lists.  Prayers for those who need it and those in war zones, Ukraine and the innocents in Gaza.  @StLouisCruisers so happy to read that Morgan will be settling into her new apartment.   

I have to sign onto five ours of Zoom classes in a few minutes.   Have a lovely Monday!  Nancy 

Thanks so much Nancy!  I have a feeling we'll be getting a FaceTime call once she lands in the new apartment so I'd better fix my hair so I look decent.  I almost forgot.🤗

Edited by StLouisCruisers
  • Like 20

Good morning Dailyites from a cloudy 50 degrees warming to 73.

Happy Birthday Dear Sue! Have a great time with your sister's tonight!

Sandi, praying for your family and thankful Morgan has a safe place to live.

Vanessa you are awesome keeping up with the cares, celebrations, cruisers! Thank you so much.

Prayers lifted for each and everyone on our Daily!

Yesterday, I took the next 100 pounds of soil/compost and filled the balance of my pots. The herbs did not come in, so going to try again this morning. I keep my eye on the weekly weather too. 

Today we are meeting the Cav guys and wives at Louisiana Longhorn Cafe in Round Rock. Looking forward to some cajun cuisine. 

Take care, blessings to all, have a great week!

image.png.0330a023377928343dee6da2936b7169.png

image.png.6790a7f9f5239e5d14e3a104b9f50693.png

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

6 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Good morning Dailyites from a cloudy 50 degrees warming to 73.

Happy Birthday Dear Sue! Have a great time with your sister's tonight!

Sandi, praying for your family and thankful Morgan has a safe place to live.

Vanessa you are awesome keeping up with the cares, celebrations, cruisers! Thank you so much.

Prayers lifted for each and everyone on our Daily!

Yesterday, I took the next 100 pounds of soil/compost and filled the balance of my pots. The herbs did not come in, so going to try again this morning. I keep my eye on the weekly weather too. 

Today we are meeting the Cav guys and wives at Louisiana Longhorn Cafe in Round Rock. Looking forward to some cajun cuisine. 

Take care, blessings to all, have a great week!

image.png.0330a023377928343dee6da2936b7169.png

image.png.6790a7f9f5239e5d14e3a104b9f50693.png

Thanks a bunch, Joy!  Everyone is very supportive here and that's HUGE!  I wanted to send you two responses to your post, a THANKS and a HAHA for your memes today!  Too funny and both are appropriate today.❤️🤣

• Like 15

Good morning,

If I don’t post now, I will not get to it later.

Many things to report today.

First and foremost we have to go to Jacksonville.  Tomorrrow, I finally have my Rheumalologist appointment.  I think it is a little late, but we will see what he has to say and where we go from here.  Also a GYN appointment follows.

Secondly, my good friend, Anita, is having surgery today to have her right kidney removed.  She has a malignancy in it.  She has always been a very small, thin person, and right now she is down to 74 pounds.  Please pray for her.

And finally, today is my DD DBIL, Eugene’s birthday in heaven.  He passed away in October 2021.  As most of you know, he was a special needs person, being cognitively impaired from a brain damage at the age of 4.  Jim and I were his guardians for 40 years after his Dad passed away.   Happy Birthday in heaven, Eugene!

There is an interesting article in the New York Times regarding the 4 year anniversary of Covid being declared a pandemic and how the US death rate was so high.  Interesting reading.

@dfish Happy Birthday to DS Sue.

Thank you all who participate and work so hard to make this thread what it is.

God Bless,

Terri

• Like 25
  • Thanks 2

Good cold , sunny and windy morning. High wind advisory until 8 pm. It’s supposed to be warmer tomorrow and in the 70’s by Thursday.

Birthday blessings for Sue.

Blessings and prayers to all on our journey.

• Like 18

21 minutes ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Good morning,

If I don’t post now, I will not get to it later.

Many things to report today.

First and foremost we have to go to Jacksonville.  Tomorrrow, I finally have my Rheumalologist appointment.  I think it is a little late, but we will see what he has to say and where we go from here.  Also a GYN appointment follows.

Secondly, my good friend, Anita, is having surgery today to have her right kidney removed.  She has a malignancy in it.  She has always been a very small, thin person, and right now she is down to 74 pounds.  Please pray for her.

And finally, today is my DD DBIL, Eugene’s birthday in heaven.  He passed away in October 2021.  As most of you know, he was a special needs person, being cognitively impaired from a brain damage at the age of 4.  Jim and I were his guardians for 40 years after his Dad passed away.   Happy Birthday in heaven, Eugene!

There is an interesting article in the New York Times regarding the 4 year anniversary of Covid being declared a pandemic and how the US death rate was so high.  Interesting reading.

@dfish Happy Birthday to DS Sue.

Thank you all who participate and work so hard to make this thread what it is.

God Bless,

Terri

Terri, good luck at your doctor appointments.  I hope all goes well.  It's sad to hear of your friend Anita's illness, surgery and her extreme weight loss.  Prayers winging her way!  

And warm thoughts to you and Jim on Eugene's heavenly birthday.  I know you will both have him in the forefront of your thoughts today.  You did a great thing caring for Eugene so many years.  

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1