The Fleet Report and Daily for Wednesday April 24th, 2024

Today is Sauvignon Blanc Day, St. Mark's Eve, and World Day for Animals in Laboratories

I, with a deeper instinct, choose a man who compels my strength, who makes enormous demands on me, who does not doubt my courage or my toughness, who does not believe me naïve or innocent, who has the courage to treat me like a woman.--Anaïs  Nin

Meal Suggestion for today - Easy Salmon Cakes with Arugula Salad
Drink of the Day - Mimosa
Wine of the Day - Pertinace 2020 Marcarini Nebbiolo (Barbaresco)
Destination of the Day - Leknes (Lofoten), Norway

Today in History:
1962 Massachusetts Institute of Technology sends TV signal by satellite for 1st time: California to Massachusetts

Ship Locations

Eurodam

Puerto Vallarta, Jalisco, Mexico Riviera 09:00 - 17:00

Koningsdam

At Sea Destination Victoria BC, Vancouver Island Canada eta 04-26

Nieuw Amsterdam

At Sea Destination Astoria OR, Oregon eta 04-26

Nieuw Statendam

At Sea Destination Funchal, Madeira Island Portugal eta 04-25

Noordam

At Sea Destination Vancouver, BC Canada eta 04-30

Oosterdam

Giardini Naxos-Taormina, Sicily Italy 08:00 - 17:00

Rotterdam

Isle of Portland, Weymouth, Dorset England 09:00 - 17:00

Volendam

Newport RI, Rhode Island 07:00 - 13:30

Zaandam

San Francisco, CA  depart 16:00

Zuiderdam

At Sea Destination Takoradi, Ghana eta 4/27

Eastern Hemisphere

Westerdam

At Sea Destination Hakodate, Japan Oshima eta 4-25

• Like 15
  • Thanks 24

Good morning friends!  Here in Georgia I have a temp of 49F and expect sunny skies today with a high of 76 degrees.  Very nice!

Thanks go to Roy @rafinmd for his help with the fleet location maps and to Rich @richwmn for the content.  Ahh, Sauvignon Blanc day will be popular with many of the wine drinkers including me.  I can celebrate St. Mark's Eve Day and hope for good conditions for the laboratory animals.  Good quote.  I'm not a fan of salmon but hope others find this recipe a good one.  Mimosas are okay and I don't know a thing about the wine.  A big day in TV advancement in 1962.  Thanks to those doing the reports today!

Prayers said (and in several cases answered!) for those on the Care list.  Hallelujah for Vanessa @JazzyV and Richard getting past their surgeries.  Hoping for even more good news today.  For all still in pain, awaiting surgeries and procedures or recovering from one, feeling the loss of loved ones, and suffering anxiety and worry, we pray for improvement ahead.  Also praying for  DB, twin Linda, great nephew Alex's twins, and my friends in need, also the people of Israel and Ukraine, the hostages still held, and all our troops in the region.  

Cheers for the cruisers, and those celebrating happy events! 🚢 Wish we had more of those to add to the list so keep 'em coming!  Congrats to everyone! 🥳 Thank you Vanessa @JazzyV for continuing your fine work listening and updating the lists.  Hope you had another sleep-filled night and no pain!

Today we have a new port for the Daily which is Leknes (Lofoten), Norway.  No links to publish but I will have to gather and post my photos since I was there twice.  Second time was the day I got out of Covid jail so I didn't go far past the dock.  The first time we ventured to town for a look-see.  There are two ways to go at the tender dock, one way to Leknes and the other to Gravdal.  Both very cute.  I'll get to the photos a little later since it is time for my treadmill routine and exercise.  

Meanwhile, stay safe and keep well!  And don't forget to enjoy your Wednesday.😉

• Like 32
  • Thanks 1

Greetings from beautiful Port Charlotte.

62 this AM with another sunny day and a high of 82.

Good selection of days.

I’ll ask DW about the quote.

DW makes some pretty good salmon cakes but I prefer a nice slice of fresh broiled Alaskan salmon. 
I’ve had one Mimosa in my 78 years.

My Lightning are in trouble after losing 2 tough games to the Panthers both by 3-2 scores with last night in overtime. The series moves to Tampa and hopefully they win both games and tie the series.

Have a great day and stay well.

• Like 29

Posted (edited)

Today’s Care List:

RMLincoln’s DSIL in hospice care

Cruising-along’s BFF’s DIL Amber with HTN, stroke, brain swelling/surgery

RMLincoln’s DH’s eye surgery yesterday - post-op check today

JazzyV with R leg pain, numbness – post surgery 4/22

Citizens of Ukraine, Israel and Gaza, hostages still held

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

From the Rotation:

Tana with chronic pulmonary issues, on maximal oxygen

Ger_77’s DH Maurice needing heart valve replacement

Cruzin Terri’s DH Jim with memory issues

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

JazzyV with pain relief after surgery

Smitty34877’s NH family visiting

StLouisCruisers stepping up to keep the FR/Daily going while Rich/Kazu are cruising

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

3 days for Haljo1935 (Westerdam Apr 27 to May 12) 16d North Pacific Crossing + (May 12 to May 19) 7d Alaska (celebrating birthday on board)

Summer slope (Disney Wish to Apr 26) 4d Bahamian cruise with DGS & his parents, Lobsternight (Koningsdam to April 27) 22d Solar Eclipse & Circle Hawaii, ORTravelGal (Rotterdam to May 4) 21d Atlantic Isles, Norway, Scotland, Richwmn (Volendam to May 4, The Atlantic Coast), AncientWanderer (Westerdam to Apr 27) 14d Japan Discovery + (Westerdam Apr 27 to May 12) N. Pacific Crossing, Kazu (Volendam to May 4) 13d The Atlantic Coast, Sailingdutchy (Nieuw Statendam to May 5) 28d Bermuda, Brittany & Canary Island Allure, VMax1700 (Nieuw Statendam to May 5) 14d Canary Island Allure. Overhead Fred (Nieuw Statendam to May 5) 28d Bermuda, Brittany & Canary Island Allure, Cat in my lap (Zuiderdam to May 11, 128d Grand World Voyage), Gail & Marty sailing away (Zuiderdam to May 11, 128d Grand World Voyage) and Aliaschief (Azamara Onward WC to June 9, 156d World Voyage)

Edited by JazzyV
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 25

Leknes, Lofoten, Norway

In June 2013 we took a Norwegian fjords cruise on Crown Princess.  After a nice pre-cruise stay in London we headed to Norway to see the Midnight Sun.  Our second port was to Gravdal-Leknes, Norway.  The dock was about 2 kms. from Gravdal and 4 kms. from Leknes. 

The local info on a sign at the visitor center.

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhG

On this cruise stop we took a shuttle bus to the town of Leknes along with friends Scott and Susan. To go to Gravdal turn left, to Leknes turn right.

We did our usual looking in shops, supermarkets, checking out churches and just taking photos of interesting buildings and sights. 

I bought a Norway hoodie here.  Very expensive to buy anything in Norway.

We checked out food in the grocery.  So empty!  I see one person in this photo.

Looking for a snack?

Where are all the gallon jugs of milk you see in U.S. supermarkets?

We ventured into a café.

Best of all was seeing the preschoolers from a day care.  Adorable aren’t they? 

By 2 pm the skies were beautifully blue.

Beautiful Buksnes Church in Gravdal.  I’d love to see it close up.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhG

That night we went up on deck to see the Midnight Sun.  It was actually only 11:40 p.m. but still.  The sun never even got close to the horizon overnight.

And here were all these people cuddled up on their lounge chairs trying to watch a movie on the Movies Under The Stars screen.  That Midnight Sun was shining right on the screen.  Good luck, folks!

Nine years later it was a beautiful June day, 2022.  We were anchoring off Gravdal-Leknes on the Island Princess.  I had been in Covid jail for 8 nights and finally tested negative and was free to roam on shore.

So I tendered over to the dock near Gravdal.  Note the mask wearing. 

Aww!  Mr. Troll welcoming me back!

There was no shuttle available at the moment to take me to Leknes, Gravdal was too far for me to walk in my weakened condition so I explored the shoreline near the dock/visitor center.

Heading back to the dock I noticed the flags. 

It was time to say goodbye Gravdal-Leknes!  I needed lunch and a nap.  But along the way to the ship I spied the Buksnes church again.

Whew!  Sorry about the length of this post.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 16

4 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Leknes, Lofoten, Norway

In June 2013 we took a Norwegian fjords cruise on Crown Princess.  After a nice pre-cruise stay in London we headed to Norway to see the Midnight Sun.  Our second port was to Gravdal-Leknes, Norway.  The dock was about 2 kms. from Gravdal and 4 kms. from Leknes. 

The local info on a sign at the visitor center.

On this cruise stop we took a shuttle bus to the town of Leknes along with friends Scott and Susan. To go to Gravdal turn left, to Leknes turn right.

We did our usual looking in shops, supermarkets, checking out churches and just taking photos of interesting buildings and sights. 

I bought a Norway hoodie here.  Very expensive to buy anything in Norway.

We checked out food in the grocery.  So empty!  I see one person in this photo.

Looking for a snack?

Where are all the gallon jugs of milk you see in U.S. supermarkets?

We ventured into a café.

Best of all was seeing the preschoolers from a day care.  Adorable aren’t they? 

By 2 pm the skies were beautifully blue.

Beautiful Buksnes Church in Gravdal.  I’d love to see it close up.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhG

That night we went up on deck to see the Midnight Sun.  It was actually only 11:40 p.m. but still.  The sun never even got close to the horizon overnight.

And here were all these people cuddled up on their lounge chairs trying to watch a movie on the Movies Under The Stars screen.  That Midnight Sun was shining right on the screen.  Good luck, folks!

Nine years later it was a beautiful June day, 2022.  We were anchoring off Gravdal-Leknes on the Island Princess.  I had been in Covid jail for 8 nights and finally tested negative and was free to roam on shore.

So I tendered over to the dock near Gravdal.  Note the mask wearing. 

Aww!  Mr. Troll welcoming me back!

There was no shuttle available at the moment to take me to Leknes, Gravdal was too far for me to walk in my weakened condition so I explored the shoreline near the dock/visitor center.

Heading back to the dock I noticed the flags. 

It was time to say goodbye Gravdal-Leknes!  I needed lunch and a nap.  But along the way to the ship I spied the Buksnes church again.

Whew!  Sorry about the length of this post.

Excellent photos Sandi.

All very welcome.

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

Good morning.  Thanks for the Hump Day Report.

It's very cold here this morning, but supposed to warm up to summer like temperatures by the weekend.  Here's hoping.

I'll gladly celebrate Sauvignon Blanc Day.  Cheers!

I like the quote.

The meal sounds good.  I'll pass on the drink.  I hope the wine is tasty.

We've been to Norway but not to Lofoten, thanks for the pictures.  I'd like to visit there.

Prayers for everyone on the Care List.  Cheers for all the celebrations.  So happy to hear so much good news!

Have a wonderful day.  Stay safe.

• Like 27
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)

Mimosa

This is another drink that should be too simple to mess up, not that people haven't tried.

1 part freshly squeezed orange juice

1 part Champagne or other sparkling wine

The sparkling wine for this need not be, and should not be, the best French champagne. Domestic American champagne, so-called, prosecco, or cava will be fine, but avoid one that is too insipid. Pour both the sparkling wine and the juice into a champagne flute (they mix better if the sparkling wine goes in first). That is all.

Mimosa-Cocktail-Recipe-1200.thumb.jpg.bea06e473fe2dd3f37ba2e6be9f85104.jpg

Edited by kochleffel
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 20

Thank you Sandi, thank you Roy, thank you Debbie, thank you Vanessa, thank you Ann, and thank you Dixie for all your work.  And thank you everyone for being here! 

Stay Safe, and prayers for those in need.

- Jack

• Like 29

Abu Dhabi what a beautiful modern city. The finding of oil in mid 50’s with the vision and leadership of it’s Emeritus has led to a utopian life for those who were born in UAE. Opulent wealth oozes.

They are still building museums, grand theme parks, skyscrapers and even more man made islands. Emerits pay no income tax, free medical, pensions and the list goes on.

Late sailing tonight for an overnight plus day stay in Dubai. Ends this segment and we start our detour around Africa.

Thanks for the report and post. Bruce

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 25
  • Thanks 12

Good morning everyone.  It’s overcast and cool here today. Thanks for the daily updates.  Three nice days to choose from, I’ll recognize animals in laboratories hoping they are treated well.  The meal suggestion sounds delicious and the drink is a brunch staple.  I haven’t been to today’s port, the photos are very nice.  Prayers for those of you on our prayer list.  Hoping that @JazzyV’s recovery continues to be successful.  Cheers to those who are celebrating happy events today!

• Like 29

Good Wednesday morning. Thanks for the Daily and Fleet reports. 

A bit cloudy now but should get some sun with a high about 66. My kind of weather. Not too hot and not too cold. Not much going on today but the usual. Grading assignments and then seeing clients in the afternoon. 168 days until my cruise. It is getting closer. I have never taken a 10-day cruise, so I am looking forward to time away. My hope is that I can take an even longer cruise. We shall see. 

Thinking of all on the care list. 

Celebrating with all who are celebrating. 

Have a safe and healthy day. 

Motivational Quotes Funny Quotes Wednesday Meme - ShortQuotes.cc

• Like 28

Posted (edited)

Thank you for today’s FR & D, Sandi! Roy, thank you for our maps. Another cool morning. Yesterday turned into a spectacular day, though the pool water temp only tempted the 8 year old & her Mom. (82.0)

Vanessa, when I read how much sleep you got Monday night, I teared up! Hallelujah!  Now if it continues and the pain relief & numbness are permanent, too - our prayers will be answered! Oh, and thank you for not missing a beat with the lists the past few days!

I have a pedicure this morning. My NH visitors leave early this afternoon 😞. It has been a wild visit. Too short. As always. 

IMG_2744.jpeg.91260231b8c2ca3e100cc3930ada1e9a.jpeg

IMG_2749.jpeg.8d97bcf83bc6abe635dc0c4922b7488d.jpeg

IMG_4627.jpeg.c614ea2bf512691f1b4dc9cdaf164b7b.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Those suffering from pain, debilitating conditions, the loss of a loved one, trauma. The caregivers. 

Terry, thinking of you & Tana. Bless your family for giving you some relief. 

Cheers to all who are celebrating. I think that is all of us who are so thrilled with Vanessa’s long night of sleep on Monday!

@RMLincoln Maureen, thrilled to read that Richard’s surgery went well!

May we each find a reason to smile today!

Pertinace 2020 Marcarini Nebbiolo (Barbaresco)

Shouldn’t today’s wine be a Sauvignon Blanc? This red is created by an Italian COOP. It is a tiny bit outside my budget, so if I tasted it & fell in love, I might buy a bottle for a special occasion. But that has only happened twice in my wine enjoying years. A decent number of online distributors with prices starting at $51.99.

Distributor notes

100% Nebbiolo handpicked from single ‘Marcarini’ Cru vineyard. Notes of dried cherry, cedar and mint aromas balanced with subtle tannins. Powerful, rich and elegant, ‘Marcarini’ is the ultimate expression of Pertinace’s diverse terroir.

REGION
Piedmont, Italy
APPELLATION
Barbaresco D.O.C.G.
CRU
The celebrated Marcarini Cru in Treiso
GRAPE
100% Nebbiolo
VINIFICATION 
Fermentation for 12 days at a controlled temperature of around 27-29°C; immediately followed by the malolactic fermentation
AGING
The wine matures in stainless steel for six months, followed by 12 months of oak aging, partly in French oak tonneaux and partly in traditional casks made of Slavonian oak. It is further aged in the bottle until its release, which varies on the vintage.
COLOR
Deep ruby red
AROMA
Intense aromas of candied fruits, chocolate and coffee.
PALATE
Velvety with a long smooth finish and rich tannins.
SERVING SUGGESTIONS
Marries well with grilled and roasted meats and aged cheeses.
94 Wine Enthusiast 
Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 16
  • Haha 4

We’ll be in Maryland today. 56F going up to 72, and breezy later. Checking out of hotel this morning, then eye doctor check. If is the eye is good and we’re cleared to go we’ll head over to a friend's. She lives in the retirement community where we lived. It’ll be interesting to be back, should be beautiful with the flowers and trees all in color!  I’m looking forward to a special hour at the chapel with some of my prayer circle friends too. Then we’ll drive home to north Jersey tomorrow at an hour between rush-hour traffic times in DC area, Baltimore and NY region. That’s the plan. 

Thank you all for the comfort of your support!  It helps a lot. I’m thrilled for Vanessa and sure hope it continues!  And we need some more good news for Maurice !  

We were in Lofoten Islands on our Hurtigruten cruise, very picturesque but we had rain so it looked very different from Sandi’s pictures. 

Thinking of those in need of healing- Paul, Jacqui, Annie,Chuck, Elizabeth, Amber, Murphy….  Comfort- especially my niece and brother, and those remembering loved ones lost, Graham, Pauline and Sarah… and Hope- Terri and Jim, Terry and Tana, and all in anxiety. Know that we care!  

May all our cruisers have a grand time, safe travels to all away! Life is Good🌈!  
Onward, Maureen 

• Like 26
  • Thanks 6

5 minutes ago, puppycanducruise said:

Ugh!  Just got back from walking Bertie and it's snowing!  Will winter never end?

I wish we had a frowning face reaction to click sometimes!  That's a bummer.  🌨️

Maureen @RMLincoln hoping and praying your day goes well starting with the doctor's eye check.  Safe travels!  Sorry to hear about your rainy Lofoten Islands visit but the weather is changeable there I suppose.  I note my 2013 photos had a very cloudy morning with a very sunny afternoon.  And the 2022 photos had a very sunny morning and a cloudy afternoon, but no rain!

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, everyone!

Quite a bit cooler today with highs only in the mid 50s.  But, we will have a lot of sunshine and that makes up for the cool temps in my book. I'm going to hit the gym and then pull out the suitcase and start packing for my trip to Ohio.  I'm looking forward to seeing old friends.  Nothing else on the agenda for today.  

I am thrilled with the news from @JazzyV and @RMLincoln.  Now, I'm pulling for a trifecta with @ger_77's DH.  Let's do it!

Today's meal sounds like a good one, although I could easily forego the salmon patties for a nice slab of salmon.  I might also add in some romaine or other lettuce to the arugula.  https://www.eatingwell.com/recipe/280003/easy-salmon-cakes-with-arugula-salad/

salmoncakes1.png.cf2aefd47905ed6bf845bbf756656e07.png

They look so good!  And so do these:  https://www.tippsinthekitch.com/salmon-cakes-with-arugula-salad/

salmoncakes2.thumb.jpeg.22511a7bed9bdf061be5efa68e55124d.jpeg

The yogurt sauce for these salmon patties sounds good.  https://www.self.com/recipe/barton-seaver-salmon-cakes-arugula-salad

salmoncakes3.jpg.7c7931a029d53c0a79fb9217a42114bc.jpg

Wishing you all a wonderful day!

• Like 13
  • Thanks 20

Good Wednesday Morning Dailyites!  Computer says it's 55 and sunny.  DH has his immunotherapy appointment in Midtown Atlanta at 10:20, so we are both up early.  Dinner at Red Lobster was good, the menu has been changed, but Tuesday is still crab legs for 20 bucks. The menu has been cut down a lot, and one third of it is drinks.  The endless shrimp that seems to have doomed RL is on Mondays only.  And for your birthday they no longer let you choose your dessert, they give you a bowl of ice cream.  So I got the ice cream, and gave it to DH.

I start work today I think I remember at 4, my new boss contacted my BIG boss and told him I was not available for the next 3 weeks, and I have to miss training this week.  Talk about being a pawn on the chess board of life.....

@StLouisCruisersYour post was not too long!  I loved the pictures!  Thank you.

@JazzyVI hope you got another great nights sleep, I figure if you could sleep the hours you lost over the last few months, you would sleep until mid July,. Be safe!

@RMLincolnI hope the doc says "good to go" and that you have a great day visiting with your friends.

@grapau27Thanks for the knowledge.  I would hate to watch my ghost walk by, but I am still confused about St. Mark.  Why is this attributed to him?

When we were at the farmers market selecting a couple of bottles of NA wine, we noticed that they were also selling NA tequila, NA coffee liqueur and NA whiskey.  Tempted, but did not purchase.

@cat shepardI love the opposite universe.

pr18zdpaskf51.jpg

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 17
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 11