The Fleet Report and Daily for Saturday May 4th, 2024

Kentucky Derby

Today is International Firefighters Day, International Respect for Chickens Day, and National Business Broker's Day

Life imitates art far more than art imitates Life. - Oscar Wilde

Meal Suggestion for today - Crispy Cod with Charred Snow Peas & Creamy Herb Sauce
Drink of the Day - Strawberry Splash
Wine of the Day - Zuccardi 2019 Tito Malbec-Cabernet Franc (Paraje Altamira)
Destination of the Day - Klaipeda, Lithuania

Today in History:
1979 Margaret Thatcher becomes the first woman to be elected Prime Minister of the United Kingdom

Ship Locations

Eurodam

Seattle, Washington 7:00-15:00

Koningsdam

Vancouver, BC Canada 7:00-16:00

Nieuw Amsterdam

At Sea Destination Vancouver, BC Canada eta 05-05

Nieuw Statendam

At Sea Destination Rotterdam, Netherlands South Holland eta 05-05

Noordam

At Sea Destination Vancouver, BC Canada eta 05-05

Oosterdam

Katakolon, Olympia, Greece 12:00 - 18:00  

Rotterdam

Rotterdam, Netherlands South Holland 7:00-15:00

Volendam

Montreal, Quebec Canada 7:00-15:00

Westerdam

At Sea Destination Kodiak Island, Alaska eta 05-06

Zaandam

Skagway, Alaska 06:30 - 21:00

Zuiderdam

At Sea Destination San Juan, Puerto Rico eta 5/8

• Like 16
  • Thanks 25

Good morning from Nieuw Statendam, currently off the south coast of England and sailing towards Rotterdam.

Out last day onboard 😭😭

Screenshot_20240504_090650_VesselFinder.thumb.jpg.efd6dc8f6acfb7a8b46ee21cb842af85.jpg

• Like 31
  • Thanks 11

Posted (edited)

Today’s Care List:

Heartgrove driving to FL today

RMLincoln’s DH Richard’s post eye surgery issues

Cruising-along’s BFF’s DIL Amber with stroke, out of ICU but with issues

Citizens of Ukraine, Israel and Gaza, hostages still held

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

From the Rotation:

Tana with chronic pulmonary issues

Catmando with cancer recurrence, on immunotherapy, pain & jaw bone issues due to prior radiation

StLouisCruisers’ nephew Alex’s in-utero identical twins

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Welcome to Rotterdam ORTravelGal!

Welcome to Montreal Richwmn and Kazu!

SusieKIslandGirl visiting her DD’s new home

Dfishh having a good response to the test injection

Ger_77’s DH Maurice with a date for TAVR surgery

Vict0riann’s DD arriving for a 2 week stay

JazzyV with pain relief after surgery, sleeping well

StLouisCruisers stepping up to keep the FR/Daily going while Rich/Kazu are cruising

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

1 day for YourWorldWithBill (Nieuw Statendam May 5 to May 18) 13d Jewels of the Baltic

1 day for Heartgrove (MSC Seashore May 5 to May 12) 7d Caribbean & Bahamas

7 days for MISTER 67 (Enchanted Princess May 11 to May 18) 7 Night Eastern Caribbean with St. Thomas

7 days for StLouisCruisers (Zuiderdam May 11 to June 8 ) 28d Azores, Normandy & Baltic Jewels Harboursiders + Zuiderdam (June 8 to July 20) 42d Ultimate Viking Explorer & Passage

Sailingdutchy (Nieuw Statendam to May 5) 28d Bermuda, Brittany & Canary Island Allure, VMax1700 (Nieuw Statendam to May 5) 14d Canary Island Allure, Overhead Fred (Nieuw Statendam to May 5) 28d Bermuda, Brittany & Canary Island Allure, Cat in my lap (Zuiderdam to May 11, 128d Grand World Voyage), Gail & Marty sailing away (Zuiderdam to May 11, 128d Grand World Voyage), AncientWanderer (Westerdam Apr 27 to May 12) N. Pacific Crossing, and Aliaschief (Azamara Onward WC to June 9, 156d World Voyage)

Edited by JazzyV
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 29

Thank you Sandi @StLouisCruisers.

Roy @rafinmd.

Vanessa @JazzyV.

for today's daily reports and lists.

It is cloudy and 52°F here.

Most of us think of chickens as food in meat and eggs but they are incredibly clever and sociable.

Firefighters deserve our respect by putting their lives on the line to protect us.

Margaret Thatcher was an incredible woman.

Prayers 🙏 for everyone who is unwell.

I hope everyone has a wonderful day and weekend.

Graham 

• Like 28
  • Thanks 4

Posted (edited)

Greetings from beautiful Port Charlotte.

It’s 69 right now heading up to 88 with plenty of sunshine.

Good selection of days.

I’m not sure about the quote.

I would try the meal.

A week to go for our cruise on the Enchanted Princess, hope everything is good, I’ve read some great reviews and some not so great.

Today is the  Run for the Roses, the 150th Kentucky Derby, here’s a hot tip, I’m going  with the favorite Fierceness. The problem with the Derby is there are way too many horses and if a horse has a lousy post position way on the outside the horse might be boxed out or have a hard time making up ground getting close to the rail, IMHO the Preakness and Belmont are better races because they usually have only 9 or10 horses.

Have a great day and stay well.

Edited by MISTER 67
  • Like 28

It’s a beautiful day in Port Louis, Mauritius. Basically came here for fuel but we did manage to take a short excursion where we stopped at a Hindu Temple. Then we visited an old coffee plantation home with beautiful grounds and rooms.

Walked around the modern town center. All aboard was 1:30 and we should be sailing at 2:00 PM for another four days at sea. Weather is cooling as we sail further South.

Tonight we have a choice of dining in MDR or a grilled seafood dinner in the Patio. Will check out the guest comedian and hope he is better then usual comedy acts.

Enjoy the Kentucky Derby which we would normally watch if home. Thank for the reports and post. Bruce

image.thumb.jpeg.73c384f8d4dadd3bd4613228cfc731f8.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.4a6e5842a9c442625d9f34e045b02cf8.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.d4d54927709fff9f3f888aeacb2021ae.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.e59d1b2de393d1ef99e447f853bf46aa.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.ba44e6bc40bb32edd0eb99663665e1ca.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.de72eea206ebaff05233272dff8518fe.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.fefd24a96434eb89de66217c050cbf40.jpeg

• Like 26
  • Thanks 13

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, MISTER 67 said:

Greetings from beautiful Port Charlotte.

It’s 69 right now heading up to 88 with plenty of sunshine.

Good selection of days.

I’m not sure about the quote.

I would try the meal.

A week to go for our cruise on the Enchanted Princess, hope everything is good, I’ve read some great reviews and some not so great.

Today is the  Run for the Roses, the 150th Kentucky Derby, here’s a hot tip, I’m going  with the favorite Fierceness. The problem with the Derby is there are way too many horses and if a horse has a lousy post position way on the outside the horse might be boxed out or have a hard time making up ground getting close to the rail, IMHO the Preakness and Belmont are better races because they usually have only 9 or10 horses.

Have a great day and stay well.

Just being on a cruise ship is amazing.

A balcony cabin and Speciality restaurant dining every night makes us happy regardless of what the reviews say or which cruise ship we are on.

I'm sure you will have a fantastic cruise.

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 21

Good morning and thanks for the Report.

A very foggy morning here, we've got a chance of rain this afternoon.  But, the temperatures are getting better, this afternoon we should hit a high of 22°C (72°F).🙂

Not a big fan of horse racing.  A big thank you to fire fighters. 

Not sure about the quote.

The meal sounds interesting, looking forward to seeing recipes.  I'm sure I'll like the drink, hope the wine is good too.

Prayers for everyone on the Care List.  Cheers for all the celebrations.

Have a wonderful day.

• Like 28
  • Thanks 2

May the Fourth be with you. 

Strawberry Splash cocktail:

Indulge in the refreshing and delightful taste of summer with the "Strawberry Splash" cocktail, a vibrant libation that captures the essence of sun-kissed strawberries and the joy of warm days. This delightful drink blends the sweetness of strawberries with the zesty kick of citrus and a hint of mint, creating a sip that is both invigorating and satisfying. Inspired by the abundance of ripe berries and the spirit of relaxation, the Strawberry Splash is a perfect companion for moments of leisure and bliss. Served in a dazzling glass, it exudes an air of fruity freshness and happiness. Whether you're unwinding by the pool or hosting a summer gathering, the Strawberry Splash is the perfect sip to infuse your day with a burst of sunshine and pure enjoyment.

Ingredients:

1 oz. lemon juice
1/2 oz. simple syrup
4 mint leaves
.25 oz club soda
2 oz. strawberry vodka
4 strawberries

Directions:

In a cocktail shaker, muddle the fresh strawberries and mint leaves with simple syrup.
Pour the strawberry vodka and freshly squeezed lemon juice into the shaker with ice cubes.
Shake vigorously for about 10-15 seconds to infuse the flavors and chill the cocktail.
Strain the mixture into a dazzling cocktail glass filled with ice cubes and top off the Strawberry Splash cocktail with a splash of club soda for a bubbly and invigorating finishing touch(optional).

Screenshot 2024-05-04 at 6.31.22 AM.png

• Like 12
  • Thanks 21

10 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Just being on a cruise ship is amazing.

A balcony cabin and Speciality restaurant dining every night makes us happy regardless of what the reviews say or which cruise ship we are on.

I'm sure you will have a fantastic cruise.

This will be our 74th cruise and we never had a bad one, just some have been better than others.

• Like 23

Posted (edited)

Thank you for today’s FR & D, Sandi. Enjoy your time with the family. Roy, thank you for our maps! Another glorious morning. AT&T has almost finished laying its new cable, so it will soon be able to compete with MetroNet, who laid its cable last year. The only one happy about all of this is Bindi. She knows workers leave nummy food scraps. 😎

Vanessa, thank you for sharing our happenings. I hope others on the Care list can soon move to the Cheers list - as you did. 
Anyone seen any posts from Jake, aka

Crazy Cat Man? I don’t believe I have his correct CC name. I hope all is well, it has been awhile. 

Gym, Bindi walks, planting, wine tasting at my favorite wine bar & then a Panera take out dinner at my place with my wine tasting friends. With wine of course. This month’s wine tasting features the wines of Portugal. Sounds like a perfect day to me. 

IMG_2815.jpeg.7beebc669a0486c5394e256c5a132397.jpeg

IMG_2828.jpeg.aa09267fcf705f145b547c4b10dd9f21.jpeg

IMG_2805.jpeg.3b54bbd3bf39ff5bda55569c9f907ece.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Those suffering from pain, debilitating conditions, the loss of a loved one, trauma. The caregivers. 

Terry, keeping you & Tana in my prayers- as always. 
Annie, praying for you and Chuck.

Carolyn, prayers that Amber’s condition improves. 
Maureen, praying that Richard’s eye stabilizes & you get to relax a bit. 

Cheers to all who are celebrating!

May we each find a reason to smile today. 

Zuccardi 2019 Tito Malbec-Cabernet Franc (Paraje Altamira)

I used the 2019 vintage info, since it is ready to drink! A bit pricey, but for lovers of full-bodied reds - it might be worth the price. A decent number of distributors with online prices starting at $42.95 Later vintages have the same great ratings and since you might have to wait a bit to enjoy them - they cost a bit less. 

Winemaker Notes

Violet color with deep blue hues. Black and red fruit and other herbal notes. The palate has a silky entry with nice and juicy tannins, aromatic and receiving end of a long and deep mouth complexity.
  • 94Robert Parker's Wine Advocate

The 2019 Tito Zuccardi is a co-fermentation of approximately 85% Malbec and 15% Cabernet Franc and comes from the same plot in Altamira every year. They have increased the presence of concrete and lowered the oak here, some 30% in 500-liter oak barrels. I tasted this next to the 2020 and 2021, and you can see the difference between the three years. 2019 is the freshest and most elegant of the three; it has notes of herbs and spices and fine-grained tannins and is medium to full-bodied, with the fluid character of the vintage. Rating: 94+

• 93Wine Enthusiast

This winery in the heart of Uco Valley has produced a full-bodied and polished blend of 85% Malbec and 15% Cabernet Franc. The nose reveals aromas of herbs and wet stones and introduces a balanced palate. Plum,and structured, this is a good example of the quality that white wines from Chile’s coastal vineyards can achieve. Drink through 2030. 

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 17
  • Thanks 17
  • Haha 5

Posted (edited)

🏇Kentucky Derby Day 🏇

Great collection of days - Firefighters are amazing. Hard & quick pass on the meal (fish), the drink sounds good, would try the wine, not been to the port. Big day in history. 

Safe travels @Heartgrove

Good night for the Mavericks🏀 who won Round 1 of the playoffs;  not so much for the Stars🏒, who will now play a Game 7. Let's go Stars!!

20240504_065140.jpg.0471ce1157dc5678e6b59b4873458133.jpg

20240504_065238.jpg.2e41892bfc6509d026d9dded144b69c6.jpg

Currently 66° headed to wet 77°; rain should start around 10 this morning & let up briefly on Tues.

Prayers 🙏 and positive thoughts for all. 

20240504_062747.thumb.jpg.9cc71958f839ff25f87f56c71118b2e3.jpg

Edited by Haljo1935
Additional comment
  • Like 22
  • Thanks 4

Good Saturday Morning Dailyites!  Happy Star Wars Day. The today show just ran a story on Wally, the support alligator. So sad, in so many ways.  Poor Wally.

Computer says it's 69 and cloudy.  I woke to rain...and it just started again.  I feel for Texas with the flooding.  If you are in that area, please be safe.  I start a new job at 9:30 this morning. The difference in calling is that a computer dials instead of us, and if there is no answer, it goes on to the next person to call on the list.  It doesnt update if the number is disconnected, and it doesn't dial the second number on the account, and I can sit for a long time before someone picks up. I have my pencils and a coloring book ready at the desk.  I get a lot of calls at the house like that.  But they are in a call room, and i can hear them talking before they notice someone has picked up.  What a waste of time and people.  Oh well, they pay me for it.

9-300x300.jpeg

Have a wonderful day everyone!

• Like 24
  • Haha 6

Good morning, everyone!

It is cloudy this morning, but no rain in the forecast.  Temps are supposed to get to the mid 70s.  A perfect day to me!  Heading to the gym this morning and then to nephew Samson's soccer game this afternoon.  Sue has been busy planting flowers.  The front of the house is looking pretty good!

Today's meal sounds good to me.  I like cod and snow peas.  This recipe is super easy and sounds so tasty!  https://www.eatingwell.com/recipe/279032/crispy-cod-with-charred-snow-peas-creamy-herb-sauce/

crispycod.png.86e9a50af08afe2987d69f7bd5cb6daf.png

This is a unique recipe in that I did not find any variations of the same thing.  So I did find some other crispy cod recipes, just not with the snow peas and sauce.  This one is similar, but it has snap peas and leeks.   https://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/cod-lemony-leeks-snap-peas-and-herbs

crispycod2.jpg.dc1e9136e2315fcb36e591af6f11fc9b.jpg

This last one actually has a coating to make it crispy, but still sounds pretty healthy.  As with the others, you can serve it with any vegetable you prefer.  https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/276893/crunchy-pecorino-baked-cod/

crispycod3.png.59b6e47ae8e5912a20ad06cfbea21b9a.png

Here's hoping one of these looks good to you!

Wishing you all a wonderful day!

• Like 15
  • Thanks 19

Happy Saturday. Thanks for the Daily and Fleet reports. 

Expecting some rain today. Much needed to knock some of this pollen down. My allergies have been awful. Taking it easy today. Perhaps a few chores. My work weeks seem to be getting much busier which is fine. 

Thinking of all on the care list. 

Celebrating with all who are celebrating. 

Have a safe and healthy week. 

May The 4th Be With You: 30 Cats Who Are Ready For Star Wars Day ...

• Like 28

56 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

nyone seen any posts from Jake, aka

Crazy Cat Man? I don’t believe I have his correct CC name. I hope all is well, it has been awhile.

Crazy for Cats has been posting regularly on his roll call.  I think for at least the last month or so he has only posted to the daily perhaps once a week and it's been more than that now.  I hope we didn't post something that offended him.

Roy

• Like 19
  • Thanks 5

Good cool and sunny morning. Rain is expected later today and tomorrow.

Houdini is about the same, he ate a little bit and lapped up the hydration powder 🤞🐾

@Crazy For Cats, Jake , I hope you are okay and the kids are okay.

Blessings and prayers to all on our journey.

• Like 23