The Fleet Report and Daily for Thursday July 18th, 2024

Thank you for today’s FR & D, Rich! A lovely morning here after more storms yesterday afternoon & evening.  

Vanessa thank you for keeping up with all of us. I hope you get some answers at the doctor’s this week. 

Gym, Bindi walks, pedicure, chores, helping prep for tomorrow’s neighborhood farewell party, Bindi to the kennel, dinner with my Sister & Brayden, then Brayden and I back to my place in hopes of getting to bed by 9. 🤞🏻

Note: I will be late posting tomorrow. I am bringing Brayden to Orlando airport very early tomorrow morning.

IMG_3169.jpeg.4b49a166d3c5c3c94b9311019ab8f52e.jpeg

IMG_3131.jpeg.bc50949ff0c3e8251c3f35a530b857be.jpeg

IMG_3146.jpeg.d664b9dd2c8750b86b9ae698b9b8fa07.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. @kazu Jacqui, praying that today’s surgery goes well. 

Tana, praying that you have a good day & eat well!

Prayers for all the caregivers. Please take care of yourselves, too. Terry, bless your brother for staying. 

Cheers to all who are celebrating. 

May we each find a reason to smile today!

Bogle Merlot 2021

I used the 2021 vintage info of this California Merlot, since that seems to be the one that is ready to drink with the longest lifespan. It is widely available and is certainly priced to try with online prices starting at $8.99.

Winemaker's Notes

Gorgeous in the glass with rich hues of garnet, the first impressions entice with aromas of sandalwood, vanilla and black cherry. The mouthwatering entry is full of red plums and cherries, while the middle palate of the wine softens with touches of cola and a smooth and silky mouthfeel. Notes of baking spices and mocha are left behind by the 12 months in American oak, leading to a lingering, luxe finish.

• Like 22
  • Thanks 11
  • Haha 2

Merci Beaucoup for the reports!  Good Morning and Good Day to all my Dailyite friends!!

I'll pass on the Caviar and Sour Candies...  But the meal and the wine, I'll definitely try!!  

Now, I may save the soup for a cooler day in a cooler season...  Maybe January or February...

I send prayers for all who have let us know of their needs and will add more for those with unspoken needs.  

And add a prayer for each of us to have a blessing today!!

37 minutes ago, kochleffel said:

I wouldn't turn down caviar but I don't think I'm likely to be offered any. However, from a breakfast buffet in Iceland (this is cod roe, not sturgeon):

kaviar.thumb.jpg.bbc8cb141b07357e412807a2009f1c5a.jpg

It won't be as hot today, but I still don't want soup and I finished the savoy cabbage yesterday. I would be afraid to order a Mickey Slim, because in a noisy environment the bartender might hear it as Mickey Finn. I was startled by the DDT reference but it seems to be genuine: at one time people thought it had hallucinogenic properties. Absinthe is the substitute because people also thought that it was hallucinogenic. However, some countries banned absinthe for a long time because of its general association with dissolute behavior.

There is much more Merlot in the Finger Lakes than there ought to be. I'll suggest the 2016 from the Element Winery, $35.99. "Blackberries, plums, currants and herbal, savory notes are balanced on the nose with gravel and stoney minerality. The palate is plump, but with tension and verve. This wine has a long future in front of it."

I had a hypoglycemic episode around 9:00 p.m. last night, the first in several years. I'm not on any medication to reduce blood sugar, so it was quite a surprise. After it I was very tired and so went to bed early, unfortunately waking at 4:00 a.m.

livestream.jpg.1ccfa8bf08a592af9e399b6385fa4374.jpg

I LOVE your take on Kaviar...  Interesting....

You're included in my prayers for no relapses or occurrences!

• Like 31
  • Thanks 1

Thank you Rich, thank you Debbie, thank you Vanessa, thank you Ann, and thank you Dixie for all your work.  And thank you everyone for being here!

Looks like we get a break in the weather today. A brief storm cam through yesterday afternoon with a bit of rain. Big boomers nearby, and the cable burped. The forecast is a high of 80 so quite a relief.

We were in today's destination last September on our MSC cruise. Sue went on a rain-soaked excursion to the Highlands that turned out to be just a drive in the rain but I decided to stay aboard for an in-port sea day. 

Looks like we are on a Celebrity roll! After booking our Celebrity Transatlantic for April the other day, I happen to find that the Celebrity Beyond will be across the pier for our return on the Rotterdam in October. Southwest without notifying us, has changed our non-stop flight time to Raleigh-Durham to the evening. That totally nixed our plans for a rental car to get home that afternoon. Rather than staying a night in FLL, we booked that as well to extend our trip to return home on Friday. Airfare is cheaper for Friday on UAL plus we get to fly to Dulles instead. Then last evening Sue on her own booked the Celebrity Reflection for her 75th birthday cruise for next June with DSIL. It will now be a tradition for the two of them to do a milestone birthday cruise together.

Stay Safe, and prayers for those in need.

- Jack

• Like 32
  • Thanks 1

I have a sunset today; it's from my 2008 Rovos Rail journey from DarEsSalam to Capetown.  The sunset July 18 came our final day before reaching Victoria Falls

IMG_1086.JPG.5892157ceaba4483ec58e8eaf514b83e.JPG

Roy

• Like 30
  • Thanks 4

Good morning all,

My thoughts and prayers go to @kazu with her surgery today, for success and a quick recovery and home to Ivan. 

Got lots to do still in preparation for our family gathering next weekend. And we leave tomorrow for our annual costuming convention. I think it’s been 31 years. Still don’t have all the plans set for our upcoming cruise.😳

Today’s meal sounds great. I’ve clipped it to try when it gets cooler. It should go well with a loaf of crusty bread. This one is delicious. I start it in the bread maker through First Rise. Then let it do its second rise on the counter on parchment. I heat the oven to 400F with a pizza stone. After making “Vanessa’s cuts” @JazzyV it goes into the oven along with a pan of water and the temperature gets dropped to 350, for about 40 minutes. 

https://www.food.com/recipe/awesome-homemade-crusty-bread-bread-machine-75061

Have s great day everyone!

• Like 26
  • Thanks 4

Good morning. What do I do at a beach house when it’s pouring rain and thunder? Sleep in. Yesterday, was pretty much rain and thunder until around 3:00 PM. Then we got a lot of swimming in and it stayed nice for s’mores at night. So far the young one’s are still asleep.

it just is mind boggling how many folks stay on the beach under their umbrellas with bolts of lightning around. Scary.

There is nothing we can do about the weather but it appears this is the trend.

@kazuJacqui Prayer that today’s surgery is successful.

Thanks for the reports and post.  Ruce

• Like 27

Good morning,

I want to send prayers to @kazu during her surgery today. Prayers for her medical team. 
Nothing much on the calendar today. I leave in a week with DGS to visit my brother in Minnesota.  I am hoping to meet Murphy on this visit. If not I will be back in Minnesota the middle of September and I can meet both Murphy and the new baby. 

Have a great day. 

• Like 30

Good morning from a sunny and breezy central Texas.  According to the neighbor's flag our wind is from the north.  We had a cool front come through last night with some rain.  It was raining lightly when we took our golf cart ride, and just as we got home it rained hard -- for about 5 minutes.  It rained a bit a little later and was supposed to rain during the night; however, I was sound asleep and didn't hear anything all night.  We heard a lot of loud thunder with the rain we received.  It is 72F and feels like 72F.  The weather app says the humidity is 98% with a dew point of 73F and a 3 mph wind from the NNW.  The high today is predicted to be 93F  The Long range forecast says we'll be in the low to mid 90s with a few days in the upper 80s.  There is even a chance of more rain next week.  That is a long range forecast I can live with.  On today's agenda is a trip to get donuts and a quick stop at the grocery store.

Someone can have my caviar and sour candy.  Nelson Mandela overcame a lot and went on to lead his country for many years.

As far as the quote, you can only live your life for you, but you should try not to hurt others in doing what is right for you.

The meal will  have to wait until it is cooler.  We'll pass on the drink, but a good merlot is always nice.

We have not been to Greenock or Glasgow.

The first Vatican Council in 1876 was important to the church.  I remember watching Nadia Comaneci when she scored the perfect 10s at the 1976 Olympics.

@kazu  Jacqui, best wishes for a safe and successful surgery, and a quick recovery leading to no more leg and foot pain.

@StLouisCruisers  Sandi, I hope the weather improves and you can enjoy Halifax.  Would you like for me to do the port of the day on Saturday so you can concentrate on getting to the airport?

@dfish  Debbie, enjoy your day manning a booth at the art fair.

@kochleffel  Paul, I'm sorry about the hypoglycemic episode last night, and I hope it is the last for a long time and hopefully the last period.

@rafinmd  Roy, sadly I have the same feeling about @St. Louis Sal since I remember her mentioning it was getting difficult for her to do very much.  Sadly, I remember Cruising Single, Mary Kay, saying the lung condition she developed working at ground zero had progressed and she had pulmonary fibrosis.

@Cruzin Terri  Terri, I hope the surgeon can find a solution for your pain.

@cat shepard  Ann, safe travels to Brayden tomorrow and for you going to Orlando.  I saw the video, and wow!

450724728_391131500648208_4280380399617360674_n.jpg.894c5dab6ff787dc4997355e8ddb18e2.jpg

451000453_122167053638046691_1131713873173356350_n.jpg.edb54fd119b8299e9101df0feb9238c8.jpg

451054020_122167254494046691_3584522666474368434_n.jpg.098da10e4a64311d92a9de97884fbe27.jpg

451256484_910717887766887_8773809626815143747_n.jpg.c79dc8e831df43cc0b9127bbc6deffad.jpg

451534370_122167480448046691_8785316673627326825_n.jpg.91644bcc000f096e6354613bf06446dd.jpg

451441936_2055169264884636_9186974215883484473_n.jpg.dd2cbcb8c7b182292c7fcdbaa6dab036.jpg

Lenda

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 14

@cat shepardI see the double rainbow!  Fantastic.  I'd hold off digging for the pot of gold, I think the leprechauns  need it .   

Good Thursday Morning Dailyites!  DH has developed edema in both arms, and the online site of the mayo clinic suggested that he sleep with his arms over his head.  So I gave him the whole bed, and I got the sofa.  I slept all night.  ALL NIGHT!  I did have some crazy dreams, but trust me, I dont dream when I wake up every two hours....He did say he was too cold with the ceiling fan on to sleep with his arms out of the covers, but I'll turn off the fan tonight, and try again to reduce some of the swelling. 

I turned on the coffee when I woke up, fed the cats, and then the phone rang; it was the Emory scheduler that told me that while they had scheduled an MRI at 2 next Tuesday, and another MRI at 3, they found out that they could not do this, that both tests had to either be in the same room, or on different days, and the second appointment got rescheduled in the middle of August.  (they are trying to see if the cancer is closer to the brain) you would think they could find some appointment earlier.  I did turn one down that was in Stockbridge (south of Atlanta) for tomorrow as he had an appointment with a nurse regarding his mental health, north of town.  If he doesnt see the nurse, then he gets no more appointments.  And he already cancelled the appointment from two weeks ago.

I told him that today, he was going out into the world. I think some visual stimulus might get his brain going again.  I could be wrong.  But it's worth a try.  Plus, on my selfish behalf, I'm tired of cooking. And since his eating is getting pickier, then he can choose what he wants, not what i am making.

We have had rain every afternoon this week, the more rain, the more humid the air gets.  And we are supposed to get rain today, but the temps are supposed to drop with this rain.  Cant wait!

• Like 22
  • Thanks 12
  • Haha 1

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!   I'm passing on the caviar, the sour candy (I'm a sweet girl), but will definitely honour Nelson Mandela.  The quote is interesting, I'm on the fence about it though.

@kazusending prayers for you and your medical team that the stent placement will relieve your leg pain and you'll be back to your usual perky self very soon!

@marshhawkI'm sorry to hear Chuck is declining - it's hard watching people we love, but can't help.

@Lady HudsonBon Voyage!

It's a gorgeous morning out there today, bright sunshine, clear skies and not a breeze to be felt.  Although it sounds and looks good, for the next week we're under a heat warning - temperatures ranging from 30 to 35 (86 to 95) which for some of you is quite normal, but to us northerners, is HOT!  Of course the daytime heat could bring with it nighttime thunderstorms, but that helps cool things off.

Yesterday didn't go as planned - first thing in the morning we went to the Field House for the cardiac rehab program, walking the track and using the recumbent steppers and cycles.  The afternoon should have been DH's follow-up valve replacement appointment, but around noon I got a notification on my phone that there was an ongoing "incident" at the hospital and people should avoid the area.  About an hour before DH's appointment I called the police station to get an update and to find out if we could access the hospital another way.  I was told the hospital was in lockdown and nobody was getting in or out, so that was that!  It turns out someone had parked their vehicle in the ambulance bay, saying they had an explosive device, causing every emergency service in the city to respond.  Fortunately, several hours later the person agreed to exit the vehicle, surrendered to the police and there were no explosives found.  It appears the person had been having a mental health crisis that brought this about, so one has to feel awful for them, but also for all the emergency responders involved.  I'm sure there were a number of people who were just glad to be able to leave the hospital after being in lockdown for a number of hours!  DH's appointment will be rescheduled to a later date, which is fine.

Not a lot on the docket today, making sure the fountain is filled, watering all the plants, doing laundry (does it ever stop?), and keeping cool in the house.  I just heard on the radio that this morning our city is going to be visited by an Avro Lancaster bomber airplane, so I'm sure DH will want to go out to the park at the end of our block to watch it fly over the city - he loves planes of any type.  

I'm going to let others enjoy the drink, would definitely have the merlot, and will pass on the menu suggestion - neither of us is a fan of beans in soup.  With the heat I'm thinking it's going to be an easy meal of sandwiches, veggies & dip that we'll enjoy in the shade by the pergola in the back yard tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who is in need, in pain, in grief, and in turmoil.  Cheers to all with celebrations.

Smooth Sailing!  ☺️☺️☺️

Gerry

• Like 35
  • Thanks 1

Lenda @Quartzsite Cruiser I've taken a look at Saturday and that day we have a new port so no links to previous posts or photos from me.  Maybe you have some photos though.  So since Rich @richwmn generally posts by 6:30 I will be able to use my phone to report that.  I doubt I have much to add to the conversation that day though.  We will be leaving the ship around 8:15 a.m and I won't have much to do.  Get some breakfast and wait for 8:15 to come around.  Thank you for the offer though!

• Like 21

Happy Thursday! Thank you to all the regular posters. I love caviar.

2 hours ago, ottahand7 said:

I like to celebrate a cruise with caviar but HA can't seem to stock anything but Russian so that is a nyet for me. 

I was honored to be treated to caviar by @kazu in the Pinnacle of the Rotterdam last October.IMG_0675.png.1a2ab0dd855eaa6585e50ec8b3e0827d.pngThe caviar is from a Dutch company Caviar Exclusives.  Here is a translation of the information about its origin from the site.IMG_0676.thumb.jpeg.27ab8f516266933fa6da4ee2098bde7b.jpeg

Positive thoughts to all who need them, especially Jacqui as she undergoes surgery, may it relieve her pain. Cheers to those celebrating and cruising.

• Like 28
  • Thanks 5

Posted (edited)
49 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Good morning from a sunny and breezy central Texas.  According to the neighbor's flag our wind is from the north.  We had a cool front come through last night with some rain.  It was raining lightly when we took our golf cart ride, and just as we got home it rained hard -- for about 5 minutes.  It rained a bit a little later and was supposed to rain during the night; however, I was sound asleep and didn't hear anything all night.  We heard a lot of loud thunder with the rain we received.  It is 72F and feels like 72F.  The weather app says the humidity is 98% with a dew point of 73F and a 3 mph wind from the NNW.  The high today is predicted to be 93F  The Long range forecast says we'll be in the low to mid 90s with a few days in the upper 80s.  There is even a chance of more rain next week.  That is a long range forecast I can live with.  On today's agenda is a trip to get donuts and a quick stop at the grocery store.

Someone can have my caviar and sour candy.  Nelson Mandela overcame a lot and went on to lead his country for many years.

As far as the quote, you can only live your life for you, but you should try not to hurt others in doing what is right for you.

The meal will  have to wait until it is cooler.  We'll pass on the drink, but a good merlot is always nice.

We have not been to Greenock or Glasgow.

The first Vatican Council in 1876 was important to the church.  I remember watching Nadia Comaneci when she scored the perfect 10s at the 1976 Olympics.

@kazu  Jacqui, best wishes for a safe and successful surgery, and a quick recovery leading to no more leg and foot pain.

@StLouisCruisers  Sandi, I hope the weather improves and you can enjoy Halifax.  Would you like for me to do the port of the day on Saturday so you can concentrate on getting to the airport?

@dfish  Debbie, enjoy your day manning a booth at the art fair.

@kochleffel  Paul, I'm sorry about the hypoglycemic episode last night, and I hope it is the last for a long time and hopefully the last period.

@rafinmd  Roy, sadly I have the same feeling about @St. Louis Sal since I remember her mentioning it was getting difficult for her to do very much.  Sadly, I remember Cruising Single, Mary Kay, saying the lung condition she developed working at ground zero had progressed and she had pulmonary fibrosis.

@Cruzin Terri  Terri, I hope the surgeon can find a solution for your pain.

@cat shepard  Ann, safe travels to Brayden tomorrow and for you going to Orlando.  I saw the video, and wow!

450724728_391131500648208_4280380399617360674_n.jpg.894c5dab6ff787dc4997355e8ddb18e2.jpg

451000453_122167053638046691_1131713873173356350_n.jpg.edb54fd119b8299e9101df0feb9238c8.jpg

451054020_122167254494046691_3584522666474368434_n.jpg.098da10e4a64311d92a9de97884fbe27.jpg

451256484_910717887766887_8773809626815143747_n.jpg.c79dc8e831df43cc0b9127bbc6deffad.jpg

451534370_122167480448046691_8785316673627326825_n.jpg.91644bcc000f096e6354613bf06446dd.jpg

451441936_2055169264884636_9186974215883484473_n.jpg.dd2cbcb8c7b182292c7fcdbaa6dab036.jpg

Lenda

Thank you, Lenda.  This is his first flight alone. So we have him going out of Orlando which is the only airport close to us that has a direct Delta flight to Boston. He is 16 with great instincts- he saved my Sister’s life in his past February, but… we all know how wacko airports can be. 

I just HATE driving on I-4, though at 4 in the morning it won’t be so bad. At least I hope not. 

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 26

Posted (edited)

@marshhawk Annie, just catching up with last night’s posts. Know that you are always included in my caregivers’ prayers. 

You all give so much of yourself, when the outcome is so little outside of your control.  And Chuck is always included in my prayers. But if it will give you/him comfort, I will mention him everyday, too. 

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 24
  • Thanks 1

Good morning. I will celebrate Nelson Mandela and skip the other two days. I think the group would like the soup and I may make it over the weekend. 

@kazu, Jacqui, I hope the stent placement solves the pain problem and that all goes well for you today.

@marshhawk, Annie, my heart goes out to you as you  continue to take care of Chuck. I had many of the same frustrations regarding food (or the lack thereof) last year with Lou. It is so horribly difficult to try to help the one you love when the situation is out of control. I wish I could help. Sending hugs and prayers to you.

We had a real humdinger of a storm last night but it is less hot and humid. I don’t ever remember a summer like this. My DB can’t believe how different it is now in the Northeast.And everywhere.

Take care all.

• Like 23
  • Thanks 2

Good morning. As usual sunny and dry. "They" keep talking of showers, but none seem to appear. The fiber optic people seem to be finished with the cable install and their heavy equipment has done a number on the driveway. Will have to consult with the other buildings about what we need to do, but I think anything can wait until next Spring.

Have been to Glasgow many times, but always driving. I will accept the caviar, but pass on the rest.

Hope all goes well with @Kazu (no blue bubble these days). I am sure Ivan will be glad to have her back with him. (I really need to think about getting a new computer). Best wishes and positive thoughts to everyone.

Today is just going to be the usual sort and toss day. My car is getting pretty full with thrift store bound items. They will begin taking donations again on the 22nd. And I will try to spread things out a bit. Also need to stop by the public library to see about donations both of books and time. I need to get out of the condo more.

Take care all.

Susan

• Like 24

Good morning all!

It looks like we'll get a slightly cooling trend so instead of mid 80's it will be low 80's today and gradually cooler each day after.  I think many of us here are ready for that, we aren't accustomed to hotter weather.  Still no rain in sight.

I'm going to pass on nearly everything today, but will celebrate Nelson Mandela.  Mixed feelings about the quote.  We need to do things for ourselves, but I believe we can do it without hurting others.  We have been to Glasgow, we went to Inverary Castle and met the Duke.  My photos from that day are on the links Sandi posted.   I always hesitate whether or not to re-post photos because  Sandi @StLouisCruisers does such a good job. So I'll let the links suffice.

Jacqui @kazu Prayers for a successful surgery today.

Bon Voyage @Lady Hudson!

Annie @marshhawk There are no words.  My heart breaks for all you and Chuck are going through.  I know it's hard...and I know you're a strong woman!  Sending hugs and prayers.

I agree that St. Louis Sal is most likely not with us anymore.  She was always so upbeat.  I admired her immensely.

Today DH and I will be going to the 5th Avenue Theater in Seattle to see the production of "Clue".  Should be a fun afternoon!  Will stop by Total Wine afterwards to replenish the wine rack, and then out to dinner.

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1