The Fleet Report and Daily for Saturday July 20th, 2024

Today is Moon Day, National Lollipop Day, and Space Exploration Day

Remember, we're madly in love, so it's all right to kiss me anytime you feel like it.--Suzanne Collins, The Hunger Games

Meal Suggestion for today - Zucchini-Chickpea Veggie Burgers with Tahini-Ranch Sauce
Drink of the Day - Hand Grenade
Wine of the Day - Torbreck Runrig Shiraz
Destination of the Day - Fredrikstad, Norway

Today in History:
1921 Congresswoman Alice Mary Robertson becomes the first woman to preside over the floor of US House of Representatives
1969 Apollo 11 lunar module carrying Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin lands on the surface of the Moon

Ship Locations

Eurodam

Seattle, Washington 07:00 - 15:00

Koningsdam

Vancouver, BC Canada 07:00 - 16:00

Nieuw Amsterdam

At Sea Destination Whittier, Alaska eta 07-21

Nieuw Statendam

Amsterdam, Holland 0700-1600

Noordam

At Sea Destination Vancouver, Canada eta 07-21

Oosterdam

Cagliari, Sardinia Italy 08:00 - 17:00

Rotterdam

Rotterdam, Netherlands South Holland 07:00 - 16:00

Volendam

Boston, Massachusetts 07:00 - 15:00

Westerdam

Victoria BC, Vancouver Island Canada 20:00 - 23:59

Zaandam

Skagway, Alaska 0630-2100

Zuiderdam

Boston, Massachusetts 07:00 - 15:00

0720World.thumb.png.5b68c0dd943ab6726b6d1a317d2d27a8.png

• Like 18
  • Thanks 27

Thank you for today's FR & D.

It is partly sunny and 77°F here at the moment.

Moon day is important as it celebrates the first moon landing.

Space exploration is important too.

Nice quote.

Never been to today's port.

I will give today's food and drink a miss.

Prayers 🙏 uplifted for all who are unwell.

I hope everyone has a lovely day and Weekend.

• Like 29
  • Thanks 2

Good morning friends!  Unfortunately our flight was cancelled. We’re trying to get some options but no help from Flight Ease. Waiting for cell service. 

Frederikstad Norway is a new port and there are no links today. 

Wish us luck!

• Like 18
  • Thanks 15

Posted (edited)

Today’s Care List:

Kazu recovering from stents placed for leg/foot pain

Marshhawk’s DH Chuck unable to get stents unclogged, needs surgery

Vict0riann’s DD having Covid

Superoma and DH with Covid

Heat, Fires, flooding and Storms across the US

Citizens of Ukraine, Israel and Gaza, hostages still held

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

From the Rotation:

Tana with chronic pulmonary issues, weakness, poor appetite

Cruzin Terri with right bicep muscle tear, pain, post-Covid effects

Seasick Sailor’s DSis Bonnie diagnosed with breast cancer

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Bon Voyage Cunnorl (Charlene)!

Bon Voyage St Pete Cruiser!

Welcome home StLouisCruisers! Good luck with a flight!

Welcome home tupper10!

Kazu’s Ivan did well with dental surgery

Aliaschief’s family vacation at St. George Island

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

7 days for Horizon Chaser 1957 (Volendam July 27 to Aug 20) 24d Canada, NE, Iceland

Lady Hudson (Liberty of the Seas to July 23) 5d Bermuda Cruise, Cunnorl (Zuiderdam to Aug 24) 35d Voyage of the Vikings, St Pete Cruiser (Zuiderdam to Aug 24) 35d Voyage of the Vikings and Norseh2o (Oceania Marina to Aug 29) 44d Epic Northern Adventure London to London, celebrating 50th anniversary

Edited by JazzyV
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 27

Hand Grenade cocktail:

The Hand Grenade cocktail is a potent and popular drink that originated in New Orleans. It is a signature drink of the famous Bourbon Street in the heart of the French Quarter. The drink is served in a tall plastic container shaped like a hand grenade and is known for its bright green color and strong fruity flavor. The recipe for the Hand Grenade cocktail is a closely guarded secret, but the drink is believed to contain a mixture of melon liqueur, grain alcohol, and various fruit juices.

Ingredients:

1 oz. vodka
1 oz. pineapple juice
1 oz. gin
1 oz. white rum
.25 oz. blue curaçao
1 oz. midair melon liqueur
1 oz. grapefruit juice
1 oz. sweet and sour mix
.25 oz. lemon lime soda

Directions:

In a cocktail shaker filled with ice, combine the melon liqueur, vodka, rum, gin, pineapple juice, grapefruit juice, and sweet and sour mix and shake vigorously for about 10 seconds.
Strain the mixture into a tall glass filled with ice and add a splash of Blue Curacao and a splash of Sprite. Garnish with a slice of lime or a cherry(optional).

Screenshot 2024-07-20 at 6.23.27 AM.png

• Like 15
  • Thanks 20

Posted (edited)

Greetings from beautiful Port Charlotte.

79 this AM heading up to 93 with the usual summer PM showers.

Nice selection of days. July 20th 1969 is one of those days you will always remember where you were at and what you were doing when Apollo 11 landed on the moon. My bride to be and I were at a White Sox baseball game in Chicago, they made the announcement around 3PM and the crowd went crazy.

I should celebrate Lollipop Day with a chocolate Tootsie Pop which was a childhood favorite.

I’m OK with the quote.

I’m not OK with the meal.

Won at Wordle this morning in 2 tries.

Third round of the British Open has started with Steve Lowry the leader at 7 under par, the course has played tough with chilly temps, some rain and lots of wind.

Off to the diner in a few minutes for our usual Saturday morning breakfast.

Have a great day and stay well.

Edited by MISTER 67
  • Like 35
  • Thanks 1

Good Morning from a sunny day in Boston

Space exploration is important. Don’t think I would care for the meal and have never been to to todays port. 
    Sandi @StLouisCruisers good luck with your flights. Not a good way to end a wonderful vacation! 
    I can see the Zuiderfam from my hotel window. Received an email that departure is delayed until 7:30 to accommodate passengers who had cancelled flights yesterday. 
     Had a great day with my relatives yesterday. Lots of food and laughter. My DSIL gave me a great picture of my myself with my brother that passed a few years ago. We were standing on the Green at the local golf course. A few tears but many wonderful memories. 
    @Seasick Sailor sorry to hear yesterday’s news. Will keep your sister in my prayers. 
    @kazu hope you are doing better 

stay safe and enjoy today

Charlene

• Like 37
  • Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, cunnorl said:

Good Morning from a sunny day in Boston

Space exploration is important. Don’t think I would care for the meal and have never been to to todays port. 
    Sandi @StLouisCruisers good luck with your flights. Not a good way to end a wonderful vacation! 
    I can see the Zuiderfam from my hotel window. Received an email that departure is delayed until 7:30 to accommodate passengers who had cancelled flights yesterday. 
     Had a great day with my relatives yesterday. Lots of food and laughter. My DSIL gave me a great picture of my myself with my brother that passed a few years ago. We were standing on the Green at the local golf course. A few tears but many wonderful memories. 
    @Seasick Sailor sorry to hear yesterday’s news. Will keep your sister in my prayers. 
    @kazu hope you are doing better 

stay safe and enjoy today

Charlene

Charlene what is the name of your hotel?

we would rent a car and drive two days to get home but don’t know if there are any cars left. Trying to figure out if we should go to the airport or where?

• Like 18

Good morning, everyone!

@StLouisCruisers Sandi, @cunnorl Charlene is staying at the Hampton Inn.  It must be close to the seaport.  I hope you can find a way home.  According to the Delta website they are issuing hotel and meal vouchers.  Make sure you get those!   You could take the train to another location to pick up a car.  

• Like 26
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

we would rent a car and drive two days to get home but don’t know if there are any cars left. Trying to figure out if we should go to the airport or where?

I am sorry your flight was cancelled.  I would be on one phone to the airline and another phone to Flightease.  I wouldn’t even consider driving for 2 days.  Not sure of your home airport but there are several reasonable flights available tomorrow am, to Atlanta: Southwest, American & Delta.  Good luck

Edited by 0106
  • Like 24
  • Thanks 1

Sorry for two posts, but I wanted @StLouisCruisers Sandi to get the hotel and voucher information.  

It is chilly this morning!  It got down to the low 50s overnight and with the windows open wide, it really cooled off the house.  I had to put a sweatshirt on because it was so cool.  Sue is coming home from her hiking adventure up north.  It sounds like she had a good time.  Nothing else on the agenda today except the gym.  

I don't know about the rest of you, but zucchini chickpea burgers sound like a lot of work for something that isn't so good.  I'll stick with a nice beef burger.  We have some ground beef in the freezer.  I might just pull some out.  Zucchini Chickpea Burger

zucchinichickpeaburgers1.jpg.545092799f436511eb55f3729d8834a8.jpg

You have to make sure you get all the liquid out of the zucchini and pat the chickpeas dry or the burgers won't hold together while cooking.  They are pretty fragile and won't hold up to a grill.  Zucchini Chickpea Burger 2

zucchinichickpeaburgers2.thumb.jpg.108607df62fbf9625469964963272e7f.jpg

This recipe adds in some oats to help it stay together.  Zucchini Chickpea Burger 3

zucchinichickpeaburgers3.jpg.4ec39e062ee18e73e02f8bf3edf84801.jpg

@kazu Jacqui, I hope things are going well for you and that you are healing quickly from the surgery.  

Wishing you all a wonderful day.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 22

24 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Charlene what is the name of your hotel?

We are at the Hampton Inn Seaport which is less than 5 minutes from the ship. 
what a nuisance for you! Did you try any car rental agencies? 

• Like 23

Happy Day to all the Dailyites!!!

Thank you for the Information and Reports!

WOW!!  The Hand Grenade...  Vodka, gin AND rum!!  I understand the name!!

I remember the tension and watching the Moon Landing...  and the excitement at their/our success!!!  What an accomplishment!!  Space exploration is seeing all new things...

And, as for Lollipop Day -- of course...  And I've always loved See's Candies Lollipops!!  And -- I DO call them lollipops -- not suckers!!  Sucker became a word with a bad rap!!

I'm a meat-eater and wonder what the alternative meal will be...  Now, this sounds great, but...  With a good Shiraz, perfect! 

I'm off to a fajita cookout today!  I know I'll have lots of fun, friends, sunshine and humidity and leftovers to bring home....

• Like 32
  • Thanks 1

Thank you Rich, thank you Debbie, thank you Vanessa, thank you Ann, and thank you Dixie for all your work.  And thank you everyone for being here!r.

Stay Safe, and prayers for those in need.

- Jack

• Like 28
  • Thanks 2

Good morning everyone.  Sandi, what a welcome back, I guess the cancellations are backwash from all of the cancellations yesterday.  I hope if you can't get a flight today they put you near town so you can tour Boston.  Nobody wants to do that after a long cruise. 

Thanks for the Daily and maps Rich.  I like Tootsie pops also but my flavor was cherry.  Moon day is a great day in history.  I'll think about that and space exploration as I gaze at the near full moon tonight.  A good quote.  I look forward to today's port photos.  I'll take my beef burger with cheese.  Pass on the melon drink but I'll take all the Run Rig you can spare.  Thanks for researching these each day. 

Bon Voyage @cunnorl and @St Pete Cruiser!   🍾🍾🛳️🛳️

Thanks for the cares and celebrations reports Vanessa.  Jacqui I hope you are feeling much better today.   I hope the surgery relieves all of your foot and leg pain.  Prayers for Bonnie, Chuck, Annie, Tana, Terry and Terri and everyone else who are ailing or grieving.  Prayers for the people of Ukraine, the remaining hostages and the Innocents in Gaza. 

I am going to try to restart the laptop today.  It took a long time for the start button light to go out so I am sure the battery is dead.  I will plug in and hoping the fail to start was a one off.  Have a lovely day everyone. A few photos.  A subtle sunrise this morning. 

IMG_20240720_060534562_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240719_203001188.jpg

IMG_20240719_202940397.jpg

• Like 33
  • Thanks 10

Good morning.  Thanks for the Report.

Sunny and warm this morning, Bertie and I had a lovely walk.  I've got laundry and vacuuming in my future.

I remember the moon landing, so exciting.  I wonder how long before anyone returns. 

Love the quote.

I'll pass on the meal and the drink but I'll try the wine.

I've been to Norway but not today's port.

Prayers for so many.  I hope there are lots of celebrations.

Have a great day.

• Like 28
  • Thanks 2

Good morning. It is cool right now and reaching the mid eighties later. I remember watching the moon landing with my cousins. I will pass on the recipe today. I have not been to the port.

Bon Voyage to @cunnorl and @St Pete Cruiser!

@StLouisCruisers, I hope you can find a way home. Not fun.

@Seasick Sailor, I am so sorry your sister has to have the bilateral procedure. Continued prayers for her.

Have a great day everyone.

• Like 28
  • Thanks 5

1 hour ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Good morning friends!  Unfortunately our flight was cancelled. We’re trying to get some options but no help from Flight Ease. Waiting for cell service...

Wish us luck!

🤞🙏

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Thank you for today’s FR & D, Rich! It is a lovely morning with a bit of humidity, but the breeze is just waking up.  Last night’s farewell for my neighbor was just wonderful. Lots of great stories. Many people there have lived on this street 20+ years. And this sub-division is only 24 years old. I am not the newest kid on the block, but I have only been here 8 years. We all made it home before the rain started. We had quite a T-storm last night. 

Vanessa thank you for all you do. You really help me keep up with everything. 

Just my usual Saturday. I confess I am looking forward to today. I am so happy that Brayden was on the first Delta flight to Boston yesterday, because there were so many flights that had to be canceled.  They still made it up to Maine in time to go boating and swim! He also had lots of fun with his Uncle & Aunt’s puppy - Hobbes. 

I have just realized that the majority of my memes have the same theme. It won’t be difficult to guess what it is. 

IMG_3148.jpeg.f9d8b478d708ce1dfb9acebe136b510d.jpeg

IMG_3176.jpeg.2ca3b91e5a92162ac68f503de96bf08e.jpeg

IMG_3179.jpeg.7e05707ab6844e57b21f693b7043c5a9.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Tana, praying that you have a good day and are hungry enough to eat. 
Chuck, praying that you find more good things to whet your appetite and have a day without pain. 

Praying for all our caregivers. May they find the strength to continue. And may they not forget themselves. 

Cheers to all who are celebrating!

May we each find a reason to smile today!

Torbreck Runrig Shiraz 2020

I used the 2020 vintage of this wine, since it should be easy to find and has an excellent rating. Outside of my budget, but I know I prefer my Shiraz/Syrah tempered with a bit of Viognier. I would love a taste. Fairly easy to find. Online prices start at $159.95.

Winemaker Notes

Aubergine core with a deep purple rim. Aromatics leap from the glass with great finesse and power yet with precision and focus. The lifted plum, black currant and dark cherry along with Turkish delight, star anise, earl grey tea and black olive combine with gorgeous plumes of subtle vanilla pod and cardamom aromas. The palate is dense, firm and powerful yet holdsincredibly balanced fruit intermingled with voluminous structure. One of the better RunRig’s from lower than normal yields. A wine for the cellar best after 2025-2050. 

Serve at 16C with delicious rich flavored cuisines.

Blend: 98% Shiraz, 2% Viognier

• 97Robert Parker's Wine Advocate
    Tasting the RunRig beside the Descendant is always a wise move, in order to gain some contextual understanding of how they are similar and, perhaps more importantly, how they differ. This 2020 RunRig was sourced from six different vineyards across Barossa (in Lyndoch, Rowland Flat, Moppa, Ebenezer, Light Pass and Greenock) and includes a 2% "dosage" (as winemaker Ian Hongell described it) of Viognier. Matured for 30 months in a combination of new French oak (50%) and second and third fill barrels, the wine rests on its lees for that time. The lower percentage of Viognier here is a seductive and effective thing, adding just enough slick and polish to make this the sybaritic wine that it is, but little enough to allow the grunt, grit and muscle of the Shiraz from all those glorious locations to shine through. Despite the very long time in oak, the wine is balanced and excellent, big in almost every possible way but with an undeniable sense of class and length of flavor. Executed with detail and precision, this wine is clearly defined in its expression of house style.
    Rating:97+
  • 97James Suckling
    This is so aromatic with flowers, orange blossom, and black berries with sliced mushrooms and earth. Surreal. Medium to full body, with bark and blackberry character. Some bramble berry, too. Chewy and delicious. Old vine uniqueness. Some grapes come from vines as old as 1858.
  • 96Wine Enthusiast

Rich, evocative aromas of mulberry, blueberry, coffee bean and hot-cocoa mix lend approachability to what is otherwise a rich, dense wine, packed with flavor, but also with powerful, chalk dust tannins that need serious protein if opening now. Patience will be rewarded, however. Give this a few more years in bottle

• 93Wine Spectator
    Aromatic and distinctive, with oolong tea, sage and a touch of lavender, plus accents of salted toffee to complement the core of blueberry and blackberry notes. Delivers dense but fine-grained tannins, firming up on the finish, where cigar box notes linger.

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 15
  • Haha 3

Thank you Rich, Vanessa, Debbie, Ann, and Dixie for the FR&D   I’ll celebrate all three of today’s days although I should probably no longer trying a lollipop.   Special prayers for  Terri, Katherine’s friend, Sandi’s brother, Scottie,  Chuck, Bonnie and Tana with  Annie and Chuck at the top of the list.  

I’m not sure about today’s quote..

I have not been to Fredrikstad..

Two great days in US history..

I’ll pass on the meal. , My alternative is Roasted and raw carrot Salad, Baked Rigatoni with Italian Sausage, and Ricotta Raspberry Tart my final dinner on  MS Volendam July 20, 2018, before leaving the ship in Skagway for the land portion of my sea-land-sea Alaska adventure

Wishing St. Louis Cruisers and tupper10 as stress free a return home as possible.  Bon voyage St Pete Cruiser and Cunnorl.  I do hope Jacqui is doing better today..

Roy

• Like 35
  • Thanks 2