The Fleet Report and Daily for Saturday July 20th, 2024

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, St Pete Cruiser said:

The flights were cancelled yesterday, but thought our 7am flight this morning was good.  Delta cancelled very early this morning and couldn't rebook anything until Monday. So, after searching all morning since 3am, we are booked to Bangor and will have to Uber/taxi all the way to Bar Harbor to join the ship there tomorrow.

I told myself if I could survive last year's spider infection with all the complications, I can survive this.

Edited by MISTER 67
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, St Pete Cruiser said:

The flights were cancelled yesterday, but thought our 7am flight this morning was good.  Delta cancelled very early this morning and couldn't rebook anything until Monday. So, after searching all morning since 3am, we are booked to Bangor and will have to Uber/taxi all the way to Bar Harbor to join the ship there tomorrow.

I told myself if I could survive last year's spider infection with all the complications, I can survive this.

Hang in there kiddo.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

Lovely pictures @marshhawk

Frustrated is not my preferred start for a new day, but here I am. I received notice 2 things I ordered were delivered - 1 Thurs and 1 yesterday. I have learned that most of the time actual delivery is delayed a day from what USPS tracking shows, so I waited to check the mailbox. Of course, neither delivery is there, but once again I have mail w/a different address. We have locked cluster boxes, so there's no way anyone took them - they were either not delivered or put in the wrong box.

No way to go to the post office until Mon, but I don't have high hopes for successful resolution. Previously, I've been told they can't do anything since the packages were scanned as delivered and the shipper has to file a claim. Shipper is then told claim denied as they were scanned as delivered. Last time, I was told same thing plus given a number to call to file a complaint. The complaint is not a claim & doesn't get money back, it's just a complaint process. Emotional support is not what I bought or want from the PO - I want the docking & charging stations I paid for.

I do have Informed Delivery - that also shows the packages delivered.

🤷‍♀️😪

• Like 17
  • Thanks 8

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  I recall vividly the first steps on the moon, haven't had a lollipop in years, and am all for space exploration.  It's amazing what the Hubble and James Webb telescopes are showing us that we had no idea was out there!

It's very warm (for us) out there this morning at 25C(77F), with high humidity (85%) in a place where we normally tell people it's a dry heat, or a dry cold.  My skin feels sticky already and it's not going to get better throughout the day, as the temperature is only going to rise with an expected high of 35(95) later this afternoon.

A couple of minutes ago I heard voices that sounded almost like they were in our back yard, followed by a whoosh sound.  I realized there was a hot air balloon directly over our place - what a great morning to go for a flight!

Bon Voyage @cunnorl, enjoy your time on the Zuiderdam - that was our first BHB!

@St Pete CruiserI'm sorry your flights were messed up but glad you found a work-around with an alternate flight and car service.

@St Louis Cruiseryour flights were likely cancelled due to yesterday's worldwide outage; I hope you are able to get hotel and meal vouchers from the airline until they re-book you.

Not a lot happening for us today, keeping tabs on the heat, making sure the plants are all well watered and likely late in the day turning the water on both the front and back lawns.  We've been fortunate this year to not have to use a lot of water with all the rains, but it's time to supplement Mother Nature or we'll start to see some browning.  

I'm not sure about the drink - imagine asking for a Hand Grenade on a BHB!?!  Might end up in the brig.  I'd really like to try the wine, but at that price, it's not happening.  I'll definitely take @kochleffel's alternative.  Serious hard pass on today's menu suggestion - I'm not a fan of pretend burgers at the best of time, and these sound too finicky to even start preparing.  With the heat, it's going to be something easy for us; I'm planning on making a Greek salad and putting marinated chicken breast chunks in the air fryer to top the salad and we can enjoy them in the shade of the pergola in the back yard tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who is in need, in pain, in grief, in turmoil, and the innocents of war.  Cheers to all with celebrations and flights still in place.

Smooth Sailing! ☺️☺️☺️

Gerry

• Like 26
  • Thanks 2

27 minutes ago, Haljo1935 said:

Frustrated is not my preferred start for a new day, but here I am. I received notice 2 things I ordered were delivered - 1 Thurs and 1 yesterday. I have learned that most of the time actual delivery is delayed a day from what USPS tracking shows, so I waited to check the mailbox. Of course, neither delivery is there, but once again I have mail w/a different address. We have locked cluster boxes, so there's no way anyone took them - they were either not delivered or put in the wrong box.

No way to go to the post office until Mon, but I don't have high hopes for successful resolution. Previously, I've been told they can't do anything since the packages were scanned as delivered and the shipper has to file a claim. Shipper is then told claim denied as they were scanned as delivered. Last time, I was told same thing plus given a number to call to file a complaint. The complaint is not a claim & doesn't get money back, it's just a complaint process. Emotional support is not what I bought or want from the PO - I want the docking & charging stations I paid for.

🤷‍♀️😪

I had a similar situation. The package showed up in my box 6 months later!! Who knows where it was all the time .... I suspect in the mail carrier's vehicle.

Susan

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, durangoscots said:

I had a similar situation. The package showed up in my box 6 months later!! Who knows where it was all the time .... I suspect in the mail carrier's vehicle.

Susan

Egads! I've thought that a few times; maybe an oversight - slid under a seat or something, but so many times is unacceptable. I am know thinking she may scan as delivered so she can close out her day in a timely manner then actually put in the boxes on a later day. 🤷‍♀️

Never had a 6 month gap, though.

Edited by Haljo1935
Typo
  • Like 15

1 hour ago, Denise T said:

...Did I mention there are 81 days until my cruise???

So exciting to see that count creeping down. 😎

I seem to be using your countdown as my reminder to look at my number, so please keep the countdown calendar coming 🤭

Screenshot_20240720_092109_Navigator.thumb.jpg.5f3f04ba1198c9260a3cae374e8d620e.jpg

• Like 18

Good Morning Everyone, thanks for today’s daily fleet report. I made a quick trip to Aldi this morning and found some half priced hamburgers, a very pleasant surprise. @StLouisCruisers I hope that you are able to find a way home safely and soon.  
@St Pete Cruiser I hope that your current plan works and you catch the ship tomorrow.

Reading about everyone’s struggles here and elsewhere made me quickly add travel insurance for our November cruise.  DH also agreed to add it which he normally doesn’t.  Just another problem that we have to consider when traveling.  
I hope everyone has a good day today.

image.png.c4b80efb250210ff8a63c2a16ba0cfcb.png

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 9

Good morning. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily @richwmn.

Moon day is appropriate for Space Exploration Day. I like tootsie pops, not plain lollipops. Odd quote. I'll pass on the veggie burger and maybe for the drink. Yes to the wine if someone else is buying. I haven't been to Fredrikstad. 2 good days in history.

It's cloudy here right now and 76F. Perhaps a passing shower. I started the meclizine yesterday, and perhaps feel a bit less dizzy when I walk around. I made some sourdough dough up last night, and really reduced the starter so it wouldn't overproof overnight in my warm kitchen. It's not quite there yet, then I'll shape it and put it in the fridge for a cold retard and bake it tomorrow. Otherwise it's just puttering around the house, doing some sorting through stuff with an eye toward donating it.

@cunnorl Bon Voyage Charlene! I'm glad you had a good day with family yesterday.

@St Pete Cruiser Bon Voyage tomorrow! So sorry to hear that you have to join the ship a day late due to flight cancellations. I like your attitude!

@StLouisCruisers Welcome home. Ugh on the flight cancellation! I hope something works out soon to get you home.

@tupper10 Welcome home. Enjoy visiting with family.

@LambKnuckles Enjoy the cookout.

@ottahand7 Good luck with the laptop starting up.

@kochleffel I'm glad you felt better by evening, and it was smart to take it easy.

@Denise T Good luck getting the home office set up and fighting with Verizon to let you out of your contract. 

@superoma I'm glad that you and DH are coming along, and that he didn't have pneumonia. I LOVE Call the Midwife! I was late to the party and binge watched about 10 seasons over a few weeks. 

@Lady Hudson I'm sorry to hear that Bill fell, but glad there are no injuries and that he's in the good care of your DD. 

@marshhawk Nice photos.

@Haljo1935 Nothing worse than misdelivered packages. And USPS doesn't take a photo like UPS or FedEx does. I'm sure it's harder with those cluster boxes. I'm constantly seeing posts on NextDoor with people showing photos of their packages on someone else's porch and trying to get it back.

@kazu Prayers that you are feeling better today.

Prayers for the Care List and a Toast to those Celebrating. 

• Like 22
  • Thanks 5

Good morning all!

Today will be our last day in the 80's, then it will cool down to the 70's and even 60's.  I think most of us are ready for that and I'm looking forward to not having to run the A/C every day.  It will still be sunny, no rain in sight. Perfect gardening weather, not too warm.

I'll celebrate the moon and space exploration, but never really was a fan of lollipops.  I remember watching the moon landing with my parents.  DH and I were engaged, but he was across the country with the military.

No veggie burgers for us, and no red wine.  I would try the drink, but am sure I wouldn't be able to finish it.  We've been to Norway but not this port.

DD and family are now in the Grand Tetons.  I can't believe these are the final days of their long road trip.  The final 3 national parks and then home a week from today!  The cats will go home and I can get the house put back together -- but not for long, they will be back for a week in August.  😄 

Oh my gosh about the travel woes and flight cancellations.  Hang in there Sandi @StLouisCruisers and @St Pete Cruiser.

Denise @Denise T I don't blame you for being ticked off at the landlord, I would be too.

Prayers for all on the Care List and cheers for all who are celebrating!

• Like 24
  • Thanks 2

I thought of you @Nickelpenny when DH said these Orb Weavers are good spiders. He's amazed how quickly their webs get so big. We've had 1 in the back for several weeks and now there's 1 in the front in the Spider Lilly plant. *these are not "our" spiders; they're pictures posted on Nextdoor.*

Screenshot_20240720_105236_Chrome.jpg

• Like 19
  • Thanks 2

ScreenShot2024-07-20at08_56_18.png.8c5683ab50134096389efd29a45e74f8.png

Thanks for the daily and fleet report.  I remember sitting around the tv watching the moon landing; we would watch all the NASA stuff back then.  I rather have hard sour candy instead of a lollipop.  The quote seems stupid and no, no, no to meal and drinks.  Never been to Norway.

ScreenShot2024-07-17at10_39_02.thumb.png.26cdafb0013ade3527183e4e73747c1d.png

We had a very nice rain shower yesterday and, with my door open, I could smell the desert!  Hopefully, it will return this afternoon.  We will still get up to ~105F and the humidity is up there at 42% right now, so a little sticky for us.  

ScreenShot2024-07-17at15_43_27.thumb.png.dd0e4d536087b27dc5f8560ef439f851.png

I ordered a new umbrella for outside so I need to put that up and take down the old one.  I will probably take off the cloth, throw out the metal and see what I can do with it.  I also need to get my hair cut as the curls have returned, and I hate them.  I have been enjoying the very short hair I've kept for the last year and a half.  It is just so easy to take care of and since I never learned girly ways of makeup or hair, this is so much better.

ScreenShot2024-07-20at08_55_58.thumb.png.9a826b04587e370749a58a44b4c47c16.png

I think today I will grout; I am a little nervous about it.  But I have come this far - can't stop now!!  It shouldn't take long as the top is about 4' x 1.5'.  There are some areas where the distance between the tiles is a little less than desirable, but it is what it is.  🤞

ScreenShot2024-07-16at13_52_46.thumb.png.f0676f41f681b96668a3beca8a864883.png

Bon Voyage @cunnorl and @St Pete Cruiser (even though yours is delayed a day)

Gosh, @StLouisCruisers not a good way to end a cruise and I hope the alternative plan is to your liking.

Welcome home @tupper10

@LambKnuckles Every time you post your cruise countdown, I go look at mine - 102 days!!  But checkin for my flight is 97 days!!!!  🙂 

Thoughts for all and cheers to those celebrating.  Have a great Saturday!

• Like 19
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 7

1 minute ago, Haljo1935 said:

I thought of you @Nickelpenny when DH said these Orb Weavers are good spiders. He's amazed how quickly their webs get so big. We've had 1 in the back for several weeks and now there's 1 in the front in the Spider Lilly plant. *these are not "our" spiders; they're pictures posted on Nextdoor.*

Screenshot_20240720_105236_Chrome.jpg

They are gorgeous!!!!  Thanks so much!!  Wonderful creatures!!

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

While posting previously, I thought I would look at my flight for my cruise in October.  THEY CHANGED IT!!  Instead of going through JFK, it is now ATL.  I had planned on visiting a friend in NY as there was a long layover.  But after accepting the new itinerary (with a long layover in ATL - yuck!) I found another flight with only a 5 hour layover in ATL and getting into Barcelona 40 minutes later than originally planned with no increase of fare (I actually got $5 credit).  The only downside is now I have to get myself to Phx very, very early in the morning.  I tend to look at my seats every couple of days and tend to change them frequently.  Plus, I like to see if there is a reasonable cost for an upgrade (I am going Comfort+ now).  Boy, I am glad I looked!!

• Like 21
  • Thanks 2

Good morning, 

It's one of our last hotter days and is supposed to be in the low-mid 80's today. I thought I was going to stay home this weekend but my friend who is a realtor has an Open House in Mount Vernon today so I'll go see how the other half lives and have a visit with her. She and her husband are cruising with me on the Eurodam in September so we need to catch up on a few cruising essentials and this will be a good way to do it. 

Had a good report at PT yesterday and I have enough Medicare days to get through the end of the year with PT twice a month. I'm making progress so that's the main thing. Got all the errands done and the pool was great! I walked in the door at home and DS texted he'd be over shortly which was good. We had a nice visit. He filled the small window hummingbird feeder and called his grandmother so all is well. By the time he left I was ready to sit down and relax! 

The PT folks asked if I'd make white chocolate macadamia cookies for my appointment on Tuesday. This is a new one for me but I found what looks like a fairly easy recipe and I have all the ingredients so that's good. DS texted earlier that he'd like spinach and ham enchiladas and sopapillas for his birthday (it's the 31st) and we'll celebrate on the 28th. The enchiladas are a bit messy to make but I can do them ahead of time so all is good. 

Karen

Have a good Saturday! 

Karen

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

Good day and thanks all!

@dfish never apologize for making posts!  You always have so much to contribute and are greatly appreciated!

@StLouisCruisers yikes on your flights.  Hope you can enjoy your time in Boston or find a car to drive home if that’s your preference. 
@cunnorlglad you’re safely at the port!  Bon Voyage! 
@St Pete Cruiser yikes!  No one expected that and you left a lot of extra time, hope it all goes smoothly!

@Lady Hudsonso very sorry to hear  about your DH’s fall,   Glad he is in good hands.

@superomakeep resting,  hope you both feel better soon 

@kazu lots of gentle hugs and prayers you feel better soon! 

My tropical friend

A39B38E8-E065-4A51-A472-FE6A4297C6C7.jpeg

IMG_0445.jpeg

• Like 22
  • Thanks 6

Today's sunrise is from my 2018 sea-land-sea grand Alaska/Panama trip.  July 19 was my last day aboard MS Volendam before disembarking for the land portion in Skagway:

dawn0720.jpg

Roy

• Like 23
  • Thanks 4

@Haljo1935Could you tape a note to your cluster box asking the mail carrier to check other boxes for a misdelivery? Another reason for a long delay in package-or mail-delivery is when it is misdelivered, that person doesn't bother to return it in a timely fashion.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

Good afternoon from central Texas.  The yardwork was done by early afternoon, and I'm just taking it easy now.  

6 hours ago, Haljo1935 said:

🤷‍♀️😪

Elizabeth, I hope your packages are delivered soon.  Nothing is more frustrating than misdelivered mail.

5 hours ago, JazzyV said:

Good morning. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily @richwmn.

Moon day is appropriate for Space Exploration Day. I like tootsie pops, not plain lollipops. Odd quote. I'll pass on the veggie burger and maybe for the drink. Yes to the wine if someone else is buying. I haven't been to Fredrikstad. 2 good days in history.

It's cloudy here right now and 76F. Perhaps a passing shower. I started the meclizine yesterday, and perhaps feel a bit less dizzy when I walk around. I made some sourdough dough up last night, and really reduced the starter so it wouldn't overproof overnight in my warm kitchen. It's not quite there yet, then I'll shape it and put it in the fridge for a cold retard and bake it tomorrow. Otherwise it's just puttering around the house, doing some sorting through stuff with an eye toward donating it.

@cunnorl Bon Voyage Charlene! I'm glad you had a good day with family yesterday.

@St Pete Cruiser Bon Voyage tomorrow! So sorry to hear that you have to join the ship a day late due to flight cancellations. I like your attitude!

@StLouisCruisers Welcome home. Ugh on the flight cancellation! I hope something works out soon to get you home.

@tupper10 Welcome home. Enjoy visiting with family.

@LambKnuckles Enjoy the cookout.

@ottahand7 Good luck with the laptop starting up.

@kochleffel I'm glad you felt better by evening, and it was smart to take it easy.

@Denise T Good luck getting the home office set up and fighting with Verizon to let you out of your contract. 

@superoma I'm glad that you and DH are coming along, and that he didn't have pneumonia. I LOVE Call the Midwife! I was late to the party and binge watched about 10 seasons over a few weeks. 

@Lady Hudson I'm sorry to hear that Bill fell, but glad there are no injuries and that he's in the good care of your DD. 

@marshhawk Nice photos.

@Haljo1935 Nothing worse than misdelivered packages. And USPS doesn't take a photo like UPS or FedEx does. I'm sure it's harder with those cluster boxes. I'm constantly seeing posts on NextDoor with people showing photos of their packages on someone else's porch and trying to get it back.

@kazu Prayers that you are feeling better today.

Prayers for the Care List and a Toast to those Celebrating. 

Vanessa, I hope the meclizine helps with the vertigo.  It helped DH many years ago.

2 hours ago, luvteaching said:

Good morning, 

It's one of our last hotter days and is supposed to be in the low-mid 80's today. I thought I was going to stay home this weekend but my friend who is a realtor has an Open House in Mount Vernon today so I'll go see how the other half lives and have a visit with her. She and her husband are cruising with me on the Eurodam in September so we need to catch up on a few cruising essentials and this will be a good way to do it. 

Had a good report at PT yesterday and I have enough Medicare days to get through the end of the year with PT twice a month. I'm making progress so that's the main thing. Got all the errands done and the pool was great! I walked in the door at home and DS texted he'd be over shortly which was good. We had a nice visit. He filled the small window hummingbird feeder and called his grandmother so all is well. By the time he left I was ready to sit down and relax! 

The PT folks asked if I'd make white chocolate macadamia cookies for my appointment on Tuesday. This is a new one for me but I found what looks like a fairly easy recipe and I have all the ingredients so that's good. DS texted earlier that he'd like spinach and ham enchiladas and sopapillas for his birthday (it's the 31st) and we'll celebrate on the 28th. The enchiladas are a bit messy to make but I can do them ahead of time so all is good. 

Karen

Have a good Saturday! 

Karen

Karen, I've never heard of spinach and ham enchiladas.  Most of what we have here are beef, chicken or cheese, and strictly Tex-Mex.

@aliaschief  Bruce, I forgot to mention that I loved the beautiful picture of the moon shining on the water.

Lenda

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

Many thanks for today's RF&D! Prayers raised for all who need them, and cheers for all who are celebrating or heading off on BHBs.

I remember the moon walk - I was one of a group of high school students spending a month studying in La Rochelle, France. The next day, people stopped us on the street and congratulated us for our country's achievement. Who ever said the French are not friendly were very wrong on that day!

Monday will be DS's 45th birthday. We're spending the weekend doing whatever he wants to do! Today was crabcakes and hush puppies at his favorite seafood restaurant, followed by soft-serve ice cream cones. He hasn't revealed tomorrow's wish list yet.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

I hope the reason we haven't heard anything from @StLouisCruisers means that they either got a flight out or a car and are on their way home.  

Quiet day here in Midland.  Sue arrived home in the early afternoon.  We've done nothing since.  

• Like 19