What's more important to you?

What is more important to you as far as finances go. A shorter cruise (3,4 or 5 day) and a fancier room (Suites, Specialty dining, etc..) or a longer cruise (7 day or more) in a not as fancy cabin. I personally don't have an unlimited amount of money so I was thinking about alternating each year. Curious what others do?

Longer cruise in a cheaper cabin for me every time. Far better value for money. Most suites are hugely overpriced for what you get but Royal knows there are plenty of people who’ll overpay $$$$$ just to get “the best”.

• Like 20

We prefer a regular balcony cabin, but no interior cabins. We upgraded to a suite once and it was more space than we needed. We would pay more for the location so we're mid-ship or aft close to the elevators. 

• Like 2

I guess I have some of both booked. I'd consider myself a value person, best value but also I have some friends I'm doing wonder then 1 day later utopia. I didnt pick it but interested to see these higher priced ships too, as well as some older shorter and longer cruises. A selection of each. Each I booked what i consider the best value i could. I'd rather a ocean view balcony but usually book a neighborhood balcony on oasis class to save money to cruise more often. 

• Like 4

We have to fly to get to port and have limited vacation days.  Normally it would be 7-night but we are trying a 3-night Utopia in a suite that is quite a bit cheaper per night than the same suite on Wonder.  We did a Jr Suite on Harmony earlier this year and it was definitely an upcharge but with 3 of us, we did appreciate the space.

• Like 2

We love the suite life- we always sail in a suite and enjoy the amenities.  But we wouldn't sacrifice our sailing for a shorter cruise-  Would look at price of course and dates and book an older Oasis class ship entry level suite that gives us access to the lounge and coastal kitchen.  The newer Oasis class ships are more expensive.  Sailed on the Icon and it wasn't worth it- 

• Like 7

Longer cruises more often!  I will sail in whatever cabin I can get as cheaply as possible so I can make that happen😂

Sherri🙂

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Longer cruise for sure.  The atmosphere of a short cruise does not appeal to us, and the effort of getting to the port and back would negate the joy of the cruise.

We prefer a standard oceanview cabin every time.  We've tried balconies, and just do not enjoy them. We haven't tried a suite, but don't see any reason to want one.

By the way, our preference for long doesn't mean 7 nights; that is still fairly short.  Our choice is 12 nights or more.

• Like 7

We don’t do short cruises. The first day doesn’t really count, then you have one day to enjoy everything, which is almost impossible on a big ship, then you have to pack on the third day…. I wouldn’t even unpack on a short cruise, I would live out of the suitcase.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, shipgeeks said:

Longer cruise for sure.  The atmosphere of a short cruise does not appeal to us, and the effort of getting to the port and back would negate the joy of the cruise.

We prefer a standard oceanview cabin every time.  We've tried balconies, and just do not enjoy them. We haven't tried a suite, but don't see any reason to want one.

By the way, our preference for long doesn't mean 7 nights; that is still fairly short.  Our choice is 12 nights or more.

I agree. After you’ve been on a few longer ones-9,12 days, you get a little jaded and 7 seems like you get on just to hop off again. Doesn’t mean we won’t sail 7 days. A cruise is a cruise! Just prefer longer ones

• Like 3

We've never stayed in a suite so I don't know how nice that would be. However, we stay in balcony cabins and are satisfied with that choice. I would rather spend my money on a longer cruise.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Longer cruises and cheaper cabins, although location is important. We like to be above promenade, but not on highest deck. We won't book  GTY or lowest decks.

Most of our cabins were inside with about 15-16 balconies. We go on 5 cruises a year to be "out of our house or regular life" so we are not in our room anyway even when we have balconies.

We had several 4-5 day cruises, but they were Christmas cruises supplemented with 10 dayers for New Year. Mostly when we wanted to combine different ships/lines and even drove to Florida for this.

One stand alone 5 dayer we took to Bermuda last year as I had important release at work and wanted to be at work for that.

We won't book stand 3-4 dayer. Does not make any sense to us.

Edited by Tatka
  • Like 1

Longer cruise...in a basic room.

The fanciest suite we have ever booked has been a Junior Suite, and that was only because the price dropped low (on Adventure).  We could book a fancier one (Star or other class) but to us, we don't want to spend that money on a room.  Also, when coming with out kids, we'll book 2 connecting interiors over a single balcony.  And I have to say for these days with cruise prices, we've even decided to go down to one room for four of us.  It's that or no cruise as the prices are getting crazy but we love to cruise and it's family time we spend together when on vacation so we'll make it work.

Note that we have done the 4 day cruises too and they are fun too, as it just means 4 full days of activities and food.  But a 7 night is even better.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jobinseattle said:

What is more important to you as far as finances go. A shorter cruise (3,4 or 5 day) and a fancier room (Suites, Specialty dining, etc..) or a longer cruise (7 day or more) in a not as fancy cabin. I personally don't have an unlimited amount of money so I was thinking about alternating each year. Curious what others do?

So a once a year cruise I take it from your question?  I would take a longer cruise at whatever is comfortable financially. Maybe a destination cruise.

For multiple cruises per year, I would opt for a nicer cabin (or suite), and to control finances if a factor, just take one less cruise that year. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

We have done both but typically are fine with a standard balcony stateroom. In fact that is the only stateroom category we currently book. We have also only taken one cruise shorter than 7-nights, which was a 5-night quick Bermuda cruise a number of years ago.  Out typical preference is 7-9 nights and have done longer, and do longer repositioning cruises, etc., on the occasion.  We typically cruise at least twice a year, so from a cost standpoint, it just is a better budget balance for us to do longer cruises in a standard balcony stateroom, which gives us enough of the amenities that we enjoy, to include the balcony which we would never sacrifice.

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 1

I hate to admit it, but I don't like being gone 7-9 days.  By the time the 6th day comes I just am ready to be back home with my dogs and birds.  Last few years have always gotten a suite and enjoyed every minute of it.   Celebrity outdoes RCL on suite perks.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I may be weird but I prefer shorter cruises  4 to 5 nights.Cabin doesnt matter looking best bang for the buck but with specialty dining.. (6 short cruises in next 5 months)

I am lucky I live within a few hours of multiple ports.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, jobinseattle said:

What is more important to you as far as finances

Longer... I had 2 poor short cruise experiences in the past 2 years on Royal, never again. And Royal's per diem on shorter cruises are higher on every ship you look at.

Cheaper ... give me a great find/deal on an aft balcony and I'll grab it, however it's all about value. I've sailed interior to JS in the past 5 years for example depending on price point, itinerary, cabin location & overall value. 

Value ... I've escalated land travel/bucket list destinations now that cruising prices have in many cases quadrupled. I have found plenty of great values better than cruising post Covid.

• Like 1

More days.  Always more days.  

When our kids were younger and we cruised in one room, we always went with a balcony -- it was the cheaper way to get a separate space.  

Once we retired, we decided to see just how cheaply we could cruise and still have a great time.  We've discovered we're FINE with an Inside Guarantee.  Sure, for the same money we'd choose a fancier room, but it doesn't really add significantly to our enjoyment.  We've stayed in many nice hotel suites over the years, but what I remember isn't whether we had a lovely suite or a basic room -- it's the things we did and experienced on vacation.  

• Like 4

For me , a 7 day with ocean view balcony on an Oasis class shjp. 

We get the 4 free diamond drinks now , and if we wanted upscale dining we would get a 3 day

dining package , although we find the included food is fine with us.

We had a crown loft and enjoyed the suite lounge and coastal kitchen , but for less than half price i would opt for the balcony cabin now.

• Like 1

Our first post-pandemic cruise was a short one, for the purpose of finding out what had changed. Before that, we did a three-day for our granddaughter who could only do a weekend at the time.
Otherwise, we only do inside guarantee with at least a week. Cheap as possible, and not too short.
We consider the cabin to be a place to sleep or shower. We don't need a luxury suite for that.

• Like 1