The Fleet Report and Daily for Friday August 2nd, 2024

Good morning all!

Today will be mid 80's and sunny -- in fact that's the same forecast for the next 10 days or further.  We're having a great summer, lots of sunshine and just warm enough.

My Dear Dad would have loved Braham Pie day -- he never met a pie he didn't like. I think dinosaurs are fascinating.  We've been to several dinosaur museums and drove hundreds of miles to see the only dinosaur bones with flesh still attached (in Montana).  I'm not sure, but CAD may be what DDIL used when she worked for Disney.  She was an artist for Disney.

I'll pass on the drink, but would like the wine and probably the meal, although we prefer our steak either marinated or lightly seasoned.  Have not been to this port, thanks for all photos!

We never picked up the apricots yesterday at DS' and DDIL's.  Their work schedules didn't work out for that yesterday.  So DS is bringing them to me today after meetings.  I have everything else I need to make the jam, but will wait until tomorrow to do that. 

Today is our wonderful son-in-law's birthday.  He's spending it at a Scout camp with our youngest DGS.  Ryan is a Scout Master, one of the many reasons he's a great Dad, husband, and son-in-law.  He's on a one-year sabbatical from his PA position in Seattle and making great use of his time.  He plans to clean our gutters among all the other deeds he'll  be doing on his time off!  😉  

@Heartgrove We sail Celebrity once in awhile and have heard about the infinity verandahs.  Let us know what you think of it.  They don't seem popular with the Celebrity board, lots of complaints.

Annie @marshhawk Still praying and thinking of you and Chuck.  Oh my goodness that's just wonderful what the waitresses did at the restaurant!!  

• Like 19
  • Thanks 2

Thank you Rich, Vanessa, Debbie, Ann, and Dixie for the FR&D    I like all 3 of today’s days after a couple of explanations..    Special prayers for Carol  Terri, Katherine’s friend, Sandi’s brother, Scottie,  Chuck, Annie and Tana with  Annie and Chuck at the top of the list.

Interesting quote by a Woolf...

I have not been to Taiwan..

Two interesting days in history.

I’ll would take my steak without the Chimichurri...  My alternative is Lido DIY Salad, Pork Chop with Mashed Potatoes, and MDR Blueberry Sundae, as served on MS Westerdam August 2 2018..

dishes02.jpg..

A hot one today.  I had PT at 8, followed to a run to Wefgmans and was inside to stay a little after 11, and playing catchup sic=nce..

Roy

• Like 23
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily.

I'll celebrate pie, dinosaurs and CAD. Interesting quote. I'll take the steak without chimichurri, maybe on the drink (if I could add some cream) and pass on the wine. I have not been to Taipei. 2 interesting days in history.

It's cloudy, rainy and 82F currently. I knew it would rain on my trek to this unknown imaging center. Off I went and did ok until the road the GPS wanted me on was closed due to construction. So I followed the detour through windy back roads and luckily made it on time. Thank goodness for GPS! There was a 2 hour gap before my US, but luckily I was taken an hour before my scheduled time. Now I'm back home, going to PT later. I've found a different maneuver for crystals in the horizontal ear canal, which I'm going to try while at PT. While I'm somewhat better, I still have issues, and many said this other maneuver did the trick.

@marshhawk Continued prayers for you and @catmando for healing and strength. I hope you were able to get some rest when you went home. That was wonderful of the restaurant to want to feed you and take no money.

@StLouisCruisers Sorry to hear Ren had his wisdom teeth extracted and I hope he heals quickly. Great photos from Taipei.

@grapau27 Lovely dinner and breakfast.

@aliaschief Safe travels, welcome to PA, and enjoy the time with family.

@cruising sister Prayers that all goes well with your friend's surgery; she's lucky to have you be there for her.

@Heartgrove I did a TA on Celebrity Apex and while the infinite veranda wasn't bad, I'd prefer a regular one. It did make the room seem much bigger, and if you're sailing in a cold climate you could spend more time on the IV.

@kazu I hope the dumpster is gone by now. Sorry that its dirtiness made more work for you. I'm sorry to hear about your friend having lost his foot; I'm so glad your procedure was successful.

@mamaofami Oh no, I hope the exhaustion will start to go away. I just had another vaccine last week, so I'm hoping to avoid getting it.

@Sir PMP Nice photos and map.

@Nickelpenny I thought of you when I just signed up for a study. It's regarding smell and the development of brain issues, particularly Parkinson's (it's funded through the Michael J. Fox Parkinson's Foundation). They will send me cards with sort of scratch and sniff spots, then I complete the surveys online.

@Quartzsite Cruiser Excellent photos from Keelung and Taipei.

@Cruising-along Happy Birthday to your DSIL Ryan!

@SusieKIslandGirl Happy Birthday to your DS!

@rafinmd I've been meaning to ask you how your church member Paul is doing?

Prayers for the Care List and a Toast to those Celebrating.

Edited by JazzyV
  • Like 17
  • Thanks 9

32 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

@rafinmd I've been meaning to ask you how your church member Paul is doing?

I haven't heard recently but he's been making steady progress.  He has an annual visit to the Lake George area about this time and I haven't heard that it was cancelled.

Roy

• Like 19
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, lindaler said:

Good morning all. Thanks for all the information and great photos. My prayers are with you @marshhawk and Chuck. Today is a day where I celebrate myself and just relax. I have over extended my body and just next to take it easy for a bit. I can blame it on the weather, it was over 88 at 3am and heat warnings are everywhere. There is a Sea Shanty night this evening but we will see if I'm up to dressing up and driving downtown. Here is one of me and my son from last month. 

IMG_7211.HEICUnavailable

Linda, I hope you are enjoying a relaxing day.  I hope you feel like going to the Sea Shanty night.

2 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

Good morning all!

Today will be mid 80's and sunny -- in fact that's the same forecast for the next 10 days or further.  We're having a great summer, lots of sunshine and just warm enough.

My Dear Dad would have loved Braham Pie day -- he never met a pie he didn't like. I think dinosaurs are fascinating.  We've been to several dinosaur museums and drove hundreds of miles to see the only dinosaur bones with flesh still attached (in Montana).  I'm not sure, but CAD may be what DDIL used when she worked for Disney.  She was an artist for Disney.

I'll pass on the drink, but would like the wine and probably the meal, although we prefer our steak either marinated or lightly seasoned.  Have not been to this port, thanks for all photos!

We never picked up the apricots yesterday at DS' and DDIL's.  Their work schedules didn't work out for that yesterday.  So DS is bringing them to me today after meetings.  I have everything else I need to make the jam, but will wait until tomorrow to do that. 

Today is our wonderful son-in-law's birthday.  He's spending it at a Scout camp with our youngest DGS.  Ryan is a Scout Master, one of the many reasons he's a great Dad, husband, and son-in-law.  He's on a one-year sabbatical from his PA position in Seattle and making great use of his time.  He plans to clean our gutters among all the other deeds he'll  be doing on his time off!  😉  

@Heartgrove We sail Celebrity once in awhile and have heard about the infinity verandahs.  Let us know what you think of it.  They don't seem popular with the Celebrity board, lots of complaints.

Annie @marshhawk Still praying and thinking of you and Chuck.  Oh my goodness that's just wonderful what the waitresses did at the restaurant!!  

Please wish your DSIL a VERY HAPPY BIRTHDAY for us.

2 hours ago, SusieKIslandGirl said:

DS is 52 today. Every year I wonder how he can be that old! Just wish he wasn’t so far away. Another hot, sunny day-I want some clouds. Positive thoughts for you @marshhawk. Take care of yourself.

Please wish your DS a VERY HAPPY 52ND BIRTHDAY for us.  I understand how your feel.  I have trouble believing my "little" girls are in 46 and 48.

17 minutes ago, Haljo1935 said:

@StLouisCruisers @Quartzsite Cruiser thanks for sharing all the fabulous pictures. I appreciate your contributions to my Virtual Travels.

Elizabeth, thank you for your kind words.  I enjoy sharing the pictures, especially since they bring back such wonderful memories.

Lenda

• Like 15
  • Thanks 3

I won't be having pie today, nor will I be having dinosaurs. Sirloin steak with chimichurri sauce would be welcome, but I won't be having that, either. I'd like the cocktail. None of the grape varieties in today's wine is grown here in more than token quantity, so I'll substitute the 2019 Dry Pinot Noir Rosé from the Ravines Wine Cellars, $17.99. "Made from 100% pinot noir, this rosé from limestone soils, is lively, floral and delicate. Its intensity for such a pale wine is derived from the saline minerality, light orange zest and refreshing acidity. As it opens, a subtle red berry and white pepper note is completed by a soft, dry finish."

We knew at the conference that one person had tested positive for you-know-what right after arriving and had self-isolated. I learned this morning that someone with whom I had been about to have lunch on Wednesday--but we were interrupted--tested positive on Thursday.

From the Miss Manners column today:

Dear Miss Manners: My husband and I enjoy an old-fashioned, which are typically served in rocks glasses. At a bar we frequent, they use one oversized cube of ice, rather than a scoop of crushed ice, to chill the beverage.

What is the etiquette for enjoying the last sips of your drink without that giant ice cube sliding down and bonking you on the nose?

Place a subtle forefinger on the offending cube, whilst clasping the rest of the glass with the thumb and middle. Miss Manners cannot entirely guarantee, however, that your finger will not bonk your nose instead — particularly after the second or third old-fashioned.

crystalslobby.jpg.9bd4d4e6058855f9dec1424c33b6a2a1.jpg

• Like 14
  • Haha 9

3 hours ago, SusieKIslandGirl said:

DS is 52 today. Every year I wonder how he can be that old! Just wish he wasn’t so far away. Another hot, sunny day-I want some clouds. Positive thoughts for you @marshhawk. Take care of yourself.

Happy 52nd birthday to your son.

Screenshot_20240802_212552.jpg

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Here are a few pictures of Keelung when we got back from Taipei.  We walked from the train station to the night market and then back to the ship.  Asian night markets are always interesting. 

The street outside the train station.

DSC04852.thumb.JPG.231a7e098e9a0b2927d26647c336a865.JPG

There were food vendors even before we got to the night market.  We can't remember what the lady was making, but IIFC the filling was chocolate or vanilla, but don't hold me to that.  

DSC04853.thumb.JPG.4050f6a777db47bd0c1ae598f0c13501.JPG

DSC04855.thumb.JPG.f7a83271a2ab468d84405792df267cb0.JPG

A store along the way

DSC04856.thumb.JPG.32e66686dfd5303faaa9eb5ba9e1bc49.JPG

A big intersection just before the night market area. 

DSC04862.thumb.JPG.7dc4e5aec052f7e92942547d4d2cba8a.JPG

DSC04865.thumb.JPG.a300144b703259d6c6215486febe7d11.JPG

One of many "restaurants" in the market.  We stopped at one and had a coke and fried vegetables, which we thought was safer.

DSC04867.thumb.JPG.3915eef31a155c34943fdbc5cfdeed6d.JPG

We came across this building on a side area of the night market.  It is the Dianji Temple, and we went inside.

DSC04868.thumb.JPG.a9d3601aca5ea9bc49bd3e74c8b402b4.JPG

DSC04869.thumb.JPG.24d8d731dada672c15370f67792c6116.JPG

You can find just about everything in the Keelung night market.

DSC04874.thumb.JPG.795ad14fcf673b59cac5cac39a643ebb.JPG

DSC04875.thumb.JPG.4e0dca5c2d22da14a80628b867db95dc.JPG

DSC04876.thumb.JPG.ce6bb859ebf9074d436524aa2b70576d.JPG

Keelung from the ship as we sailed to the next port.

DSC04880.thumb.JPG.50917152a801c90ca29c4baae3864b7c.JPG

Lenda

Interesting photos Lenda.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

Good morning all!

Happy birthday to your Son in Law.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

Good day and thanks all! @Sir PMPlove how you captured the essence of the place. Beautiful photos @Quartzsite Cruiserand @StLouisCruisers hope Ren does well with the surgery.  You made me giggle, I too was worried about the great UK veggie shortage, 😂

@marshhawk your story brought tears to my eyes! Pace yourself!  

@kazu so sorry to hear about your dear friend!  So glad your surgery was a success, life sure can throw curve balls!  Please also pace yourself!  

@JazzyVhope the new maneuver works well! 
@Cruising-along Happy birthday to your DSIL 

@SusieKIslandGirlhappy birthday to your  DS 

@Heartgrove amazing itinerary, not sure about that length of flight, but like the idea of PE and Business.  

love these wildflowers. 

IMG_1851.jpeg

• Like 13
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 1

We decided today to book the Westerdam 53 day cruise, Seattle to Seattle beginning 1 September.  I think a couple of Dailyites had mentioned that they had booked it.  Great for us as we just take a ferry to Seattle and a taxi to the pier and the reverse in October.

Saw my oncologist on Wednesday and not much change in my CLL.  Have an appointment in less than an hour to get my eye injection for AMD.  

Ray

• Like 20

1 hour ago, kochleffel said:

I won't be having pie today, nor will I be having dinosaurs. Sirloin steak with chimichurri sauce would be welcome, but I won't be having that, either. I'd like the cocktail. None of the grape varieties in today's wine is grown here in more than token quantity, so I'll substitute the 2019 Dry Pinot Noir Rosé from the Ravines Wine Cellars, $17.99. "Made from 100% pinot noir, this rosé from limestone soils, is lively, floral and delicate. Its intensity for such a pale wine is derived from the saline minerality, light orange zest and refreshing acidity. As it opens, a subtle red berry and white pepper note is completed by a soft, dry finish."

We knew at the conference that one person had tested positive for you-know-what right after arriving and had self-isolated. I learned this morning that someone with whom I had been about to have lunch on Wednesday--but we were interrupted--tested positive on Thursday.

From the Miss Manners column today:

Dear Miss Manners: My husband and I enjoy an old-fashioned, which are typically served in rocks glasses. At a bar we frequent, they use one oversized cube of ice, rather than a scoop of crushed ice, to chill the beverage.

What is the etiquette for enjoying the last sips of your drink without that giant ice cube sliding down and bonking you on the nose?

Place a subtle forefinger on the offending cube, whilst clasping the rest of the glass with the thumb and middle. Miss Manners cannot entirely guarantee, however, that your finger will not bonk your nose instead — particularly after the second or third old-fashioned.

crystalslobby.jpg.9bd4d4e6058855f9dec1424c33b6a2a1.jpg

Paul, I hope you stay Covid free.

1 minute ago, USN59-79 said:

We decided today to book the Westerdam 53 day cruise, Seattle to Seattle beginning 1 September.  I think a couple of Dailyites had mentioned that they had booked it.  Great for us as we just take a ferry to Seattle and a taxi to the pier and the reverse in October.

Saw my oncologist on Wednesday and not much change in my CLL.  Have an appointment in less than an hour to get my eye injection for AMD.  

Ray

Congratulations on booking the cruise, Ray.

Lenda

• Like 16

27 minutes ago, USN59-79 said:

Ray

Welcome to the Majestic Japan Cruise. Yes, there are several of us on this cruise and I would enjoy meeting you. See you in less than a month!

• Like 15

6 hours ago, lindaler said:

Good morning all. Thanks for all the information and great photos. My prayers are with you @marshhawk and Chuck. Today is a day where I celebrate myself and just relax. I have over extended my body and just next to take it easy for a bit. I can blame it on the weather, it was over 88 at 3am and heat warnings are everywhere. There is a Sea Shanty night this evening but we will see if I'm up to dressing up and driving downtown. Here is one of me and my son from last month. 

Sorry about the photo.  It was there when I left the comment.  

• Like 9

4 hours ago, JazzyV said:

@Nickelpenny I thought of you when I just signed up for a study. It's regarding smell and the development of brain issues, particularly Parkinson's (it's funded through the Michael J. Fox Parkinson's Foundation). They will send me cards with sort of scratch and sniff spots, then I complete the surveys online.

Wow, I did that one also!!  Cool, wasn't it?  But I guess my results didn't qualify me for any further studies.  But I am on the Registry so who knows what it might bring (and wasn't a couple of the smells weird??  Gasoline??????  LOL!!)

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, JazzyV said:

@Cruising-along Happy Birthday to your DSIL Ryan

4 hours ago, puppycanducruise said:

@Cruising-along Happy Birthday to your wonderful son-in-law. 🎂

3 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Please wish your DSIL a VERY HAPPY BIRTHDAY for us.

2 hours ago, Haljo1935 said:

Happy Birthday @Cruising-along to your DSIL 🍰🥳

2 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Happy birthday to your Son in Law.

1 hour ago, bennybear said:

Thank you Vanessa, Melanie, Lenda, Graham, Elizabeth and Brenda 🙂  I'll pass along your greetings.  And happy birthday to your DS @SusieKIslandGirl!  August 2 must be the day for great men!

My DS brought over the apricots, now I have my work cut out for me tomorrow.  But it makes such good jam.  It was nice having a one-on-one visit with him too (DH is working today).

I spent the rest of the afternoon gardening and tackling some pesky weeds.  

Have a nice evening everyone!

• Like 14
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Paul, I hope you stay Covid free.

Thank you. I always try to isolate for a few days after travel. I had to buy groceries today but wore a mask.

• Like 13

1 hour ago, USN59-79 said:

Ray

Hi Ray, looking forward to meeting you and Sara. We aren't much on group get togethers. We like trivia, but mostly enjoy private conversation. The roll call is very busy with folks going on many excursions together. I hope you enjoy your cruise!

Joy

• Like 15

Busy day today.  The landscaper we use to clear the slope and area down below our yard has decided he's too old for that steep of a slope, so has turned the job over to a young man in the same business.  New guy showed up today with his employee/helper and did the job, in all this heat and humidity.  He had to stop and rest in the shade several times.  We provide cold water in addition to what he brought with him.  Hopefully it's lots cooler when he returns in October to do it again.  

Ren has some swelling today but no pain.  He's not eating much and they are trying to get him to eat more.  Gotta keep that strength up!

11 hours ago, mamaofami said:

Good morning everyone. I’m recovering from 10 days of testing positive for covid. Left feeling exhausted. 

Carol, I'm bummed to hear you've been dealing with Covid this long.  Brings back awful memories of the one time I was stricken with it.  So exhausting!  Get well soon!

10 hours ago, marshhawk said:

Good Friday Morning Dailyites!  The computer is not giving temps and weather info, it is telling me what is happening at the Olympics at this time, so my weather report?  Hot, Humid, and Horrible. (3H club)

Braham Pie-Known as the 'Homemade Pie Capital of Minnesota,' Braham has a rich history with pie, making this celebration both a nostalgic and mouth-watering experience. Braham Pie Day falls on August 2. While you celebrate the day, make simple pie recipes at home to enjoy with your family and friends.

As usual I misread the pie-thought it said Graham pie, thinking graham cracker, FYI , I made an eye appointment yesterday morning.

Minnesota is the king of pie, my favorite, apple pie with cinnamon ice cream.  Hard to find the ice cream in the south.  So I'm ok with blueberry or cherry with vanilla.

Yesterday was a horrible day, but it was filled with wonderful people.  All of you, and the staff at the restaurant.  The manager called 911 for me, which tied up their phone for a while, (they do a lot of call in/take out)  The waitress brought cool damp towels to out on Chuck's head as he was sweating so much, we never did order, I had had no food except for an english muffin at 8 yesterday morning.  When I left the hospital in the afternoon, I still had bills to pay, so I drove back up to Northlake, then stopped back at the restaurant to give Terri (the manager an update) and ordered dinner.  The waitresses paid for my dinner, I left a good tip , thanked Terri and the waitress brought back the tip to me, she said, no, we want to help you both today.  There are earthangels, all of you, and those at the restaurant, and the nurses at the hospital.. 

What a great story about your restaurant employees!  I hope the news on Chuck is better than yesterday.  Hugs to you both.

6 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

Good morning all!

Happy birthday wishes to your very special DSIL!  Nice he is on sabbatical!  Our DS is also starting a one year sabbatical from his University position.  This is the third one he's taken over the years teaching at U. of Michigan.  He'll be spending most of his time in Frisco this fall, and then Ren will probably be leaving and going to Notre Dame in January so they will be letting the apartment go down there and move back to Ann Arbor.  It's a good time for DS to be off work and spending time with his family.

6 hours ago, SusieKIslandGirl said:

Happy birthday wishes to your DS today, too.  He's the same age as my DD.  Impossible they are that old, and the same can be said of us! 🤣

5 hours ago, aliaschief said:

Flights were uneventful and on time. 

That's great Bruce!  I'll never take uneventful flight days for granted again!✈️

4 hours ago, Haljo1935 said:

@StLouisCruisers @Quartzsite Cruiser thanks for sharing all the fabulous pictures. I appreciate your contributions to my Virtual Travels.

No, thank you for your remarks.  So nice of you!🤗

2 hours ago, bennybear said:

Good day and thanks all! @Sir PMPlove how you captured the essence of the place. Beautiful photos @Quartzsite Cruiserand @StLouisCruisers hope Ren does well with the surgery.  You made me giggle, I too was worried about the great UK veggie shortage, 😂

@marshhawk your story brought tears to my eyes! Pace yourself!  

@kazu so sorry to hear about your dear friend!  So glad your surgery was a success, life sure can throw curve balls!  Please also pace yourself!  

@JazzyVhope the new maneuver works well! 

@SusieKIslandGirlhappy birthday to your  DS 

@Heartgrove amazing itinerary, not sure about that length of flight, but like the idea of PE and Business.  

love these wildflowers. 

IMG_1851.jpeg

You're welcome for the photos.  I'm sure Ren will be fine in a few days.  I hope Graham ate his veggies! 😉  They looked good to me.

2 hours ago, USN59-79 said:

Ray

Congratulations on your Sept. 1 Westerdam booking!  It will be nice to meet Rich @richwmn and Joy @Seasick Sailor.  You're lucky to be so close to a major port like that.

16 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

Thank you Vanessa, Melanie, Lenda, Graham, Elizabeth and Brenda 🙂  I'll pass along your greetings.  And happy birthday to your DS @SusieKIslandGirl!  August 2 must be the day for great men!

My DS brought over the apricots, now I have my work cut out for me tomorrow.  But it makes such good jam.  It was nice having a one-on-one visit with him too (DH is working today).

I spent the rest of the afternoon gardening and tackling some pesky weeds.  

Have a nice evening everyone!

Apricot jam is probably my favorite.  Your family is lucky to have freshly made jam made by you!  And you are lucky to have your DS close enough to come by for visits.  Truly a blessing.  I miss that.  

• Like 9
  • Thanks 4