The Fleet Report and Daily for Monday August 5th, 2024

Today is National Electric Traffic Light Day, National Underwear Day, and Hiroshima Day

Don't let life discourage you; everyone who got where he is had to begin where he was. -- Richard L. Evans

Meal Suggestion for today - Vegetarian Lasagna Soup
Drink of the Day - Strawberry Margarita
Wine of the Day - Marqués de Cáceres Reserva Rioja
Destination of the Day - Cap-aux-Meules, Iles de la Madeleine, Quebec, Cana

Today in History:
1963 Partial Nuclear Test Ban Treaty is Signed
910 The last major Viking army to raid England is defeated at the Battle of Tettenhall by the allied forces of Mercia and Wessex, led by King Edward and Earl Aethelred

Ship Locations

Eurodam

Juneau, Alaska 1230-2200

Koningsdam

Tracy Arm/Endicott Arm, Alaska 0900-0930

Nieuw Amsterdam

Hubbard Glacier, Alaska 15:00 - 18:00

Nieuw Statendam

Eidfjord, Norway 0800-1600

Noordam

At Sea Destination Ketchikan, Alaska eta 08-06

Oosterdam

Corfu Island, Kerkyra, Greece 07:00 - 15:00

Rotterdam

Firth of Forth 0800-1700

Volendam

Isafjordur, Westfjords Iceland 07:00 - 17:00

Westerdam

At Sea Destination Juneau, Alaska eta 08-06

Zaandam

Ketchikan, Revillagigedo Island Alaska 11:00 - 19:00

Zuiderdam

At Sea Destination Rotterdam, Netherlands South Holland eta 08-06

0805Alaska.thumb.png.efe7379865dab174e62508be78d434f4.png

0805Atlantic.thumb.png.d451a30343a0ed4280c0fa927cf6d3fe.png

• Like 18
  • Thanks 24

Good morning friends!  It’s 72F and partly cloudy this morning with a humidity of 95%.  High will be 87 and there’s a chance of some showers this afternoon.  Thanks Rich @richwmn for the Fleet Report and Daily as well as the ship location maps.

Hmm, interesting days to recognize.  Traffic lights and underwear are very necessary.  Hiroshima Day is August 6 to be honest so we can recognize that tomorrow.  The quote by Richard Lewis is quite true.  The soup sounds good but it’s still too hot for it.  A strawberry margarita would be refreshing, but pass on the wine.  I’m sure the Vikings were surprised by the English defeat way back in 910.  It was good to institute the nuclear test ban treaty. Thanks to Debbie @dfish, Dixie @summer slope, and Ann @cat shepard for your excellent reports each day!

Prayers for my DB and twin, those affected by Hurricane Debby, the people of Israel and Ukraine, the poor hostages still being held, and our military members in the region in increasingly dangerous times.  Many prayers for our Care list group especially Tana and Terry, Chuck and Annie, Ann’s DH Pat, Joy’s DS Bonnie, Nancy’s DB, Jacqui, Debbie, Elizabeth, Carol, Roy, Terri and Jim.  A salute to those cruising and everyone celebrating special occasions in their life.  Thank you Vanessa @JazzyV for the list updates every day.

The port of the day of Cap-aux-Meules, Iles de la Madeleine, Quebec Canada.  Wow, another new port and it sounds delightful!  I have not been there before unfortunately so today we have no links or photos from me.  I hope if you were lucky enough to go there you will show us some photos of this lovely town.

Please, everyone in Hurricane Debby’s path, stay safe and be on the alert at all times.  I heard DGD Morgan in Clearwater, Florida is okay but I haven’t heard back from her since I texted her yesterday. She couldn’t take extra time off work to attend her big sister’s bridal shower unfortunately.  I heard the shower was beautiful though. Hoping we all have a great day!

• Like 24
  • Thanks 5

Good morning.

It is 65°F and partly sunny here.

Hiroshima day is important.

Thought provoking Quote.

I like most soups.

We have never been to today's port.

Important days in history.

I hope everyone had a nice weekend and are feeling well today and y'all have a lovely day.

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1

Today’s Care List:

Marshhawk as caretaker for DH Chuck with physical & mental decline

Marshhawk with hip “snap” and leg pain/numbness

Haljo1935 with increased knee pain and trouble walking

Vict0riann’s DH Pat with shortness of breath, heart valve issues

Mamaofami with exhaustion after recent Covid infection

Cruzin Terri and all others in the path of Debby and flooding

Safe trip home for Aliaschief and DWAliaschief

Heat, Fires, flooding and Storms across the US

Citizens of Ukraine, Israel and Gaza, hostages still held

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

From the Rotation:

Tana with chronic pulmonary issues, weakness, poor appetite

Marshhawk’s DH Chuck battling cancer, weight loss

Kazu post surgery and organizing for her move

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Dfish post nerve ablation; able to walk longer, still some pain

RMLincoln’s DH post glaucoma surgery, stable eye pressures at appt

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

5 days for Luvteaching (Discovery Princess Aug 10 to Aug 17) 7d Alaska Inside passage w/Glacier Bay National Park

7 days for Haljo1935 (MSC Magnifica Aug 12 to Aug 16) 4d Bahamas

MISTER 67 (MSC Seashore to Aug 11) 7d W. Caribbean, ski ww (Rotterdam to Aug 17) 14 Night Britain, Scotland & Ireland, Horizon Chaser 1957 (Volendam to Aug 20) 24d Canada, NE, Iceland, Cunnorl (Zuiderdam to Aug 24) 35d Voyage of the Vikings, St Pete Cruiser (Zuiderdam to Aug 24) 35d Voyage of the Vikings and Norseh2o (Oceania Marina to Aug 29) 44d Epic Northern Adventure London to London, celebrating 50th anniversary

• Like 15
  • Thanks 24

Thank you Rich, Vanessa, Debbie, Ann and Dixie for the FR&D     I think Hiroshima was a sad necessity but willcelebrate the other 2 days..    Special prayers for Carol  Terri, Katherine’s friend, Sandi’s brother, Scottie,  Chuck, Annie and Tana with  Annie and Chuck at the top of the list..

A great quote by Evans.

I visited Ile de la Madelaine on Crystal Symphony in 2012..

https://crystalautumntrio.wordpress.com/2012/10/04/day-tc4-wednesday-october-3-iles-de-la-madelaine-casual/

Two great days in history, especially the test ban treaty

I’d prefer my soup and lasagna separately...  My alternative is Sun Ripened Pineapple Delight, Minted Melon and Raspberry Soup, and Veal Chop with Creamy Porcini Sauce as served on MS Prinsendam August 5 2011..

Great to see the cruise list growing.  My PT place got hit by a storm yesterday knocking out the elevator so I’m not sure what’s on the schedule..

Roy

• Like 28
  • Thanks 9

Strawberry Margarita cocktail:

Ingredients
2 ounces blanco tequila
1/2 ounce triple sec
1/2 cup fresh strawberries, hulled
1 ounce lime juice, freshly squeezed
1/2 ounce agave nectar
Garnish: 1 whole fresh strawberry
Steps
Add the tequila, triple sec, strawberries, lime juice and agave nectar into a blender with a cup of ice and blend until a smooth, slushy texture is achieved.
Pour into a Margarita or cocktail glass.
Garnish with a fresh strawberry.

Screenshot 2024-08-05 at 6.58.11 AM.png

• Like 17
  • Thanks 18

Happy Monday!  I was up at 5am to go down to the inlet to watch almost 800 boats go out for the first day of the White Marlin Open, the world’s largest and richest billfish tournament.IMG_0777.thumb.jpeg.a800bf9d15284249a8740f030f9be470.jpegIt’s an exciting week but the weather will have an impacted later in the week.  Positive thoughts to all in the path of the storm.

Just heard it’s National Oyster Day, they play an important role in keeping the water of the Chesapeake Bay clean, plus they taste delicious.

Thanks to all the regular posters.  Wishing you the best possible day.

• Like 31
  • Thanks 7

Good warm and humid morning. It’s going up to 94 today with storms coming tomorrow, 

I am thinking about all of our daily family in the path of the storm. Stay safe .

Blessings and prayers to all on our journey.

• Like 31
  • Thanks 2

Good morning.   Thanks for the Report.

Well, it's Monday.  I hope it's a good week.  It's Civic Holiday here in Ontario.  Some businesses are open, some are not.  It's going to be another hot, humid day with chance of thunderstorm this afternoon.  I have nothing on the agenda.

Traffic lights and underwear are important.  We must not forget Hiroshima.

Interesting quote.

I'll pass on the soup for now, but I'll save a recipe or two until fall.  The drink sounds great.  I'd like to try the wine.

I haven't been to today's port.

Prayers for so many.  I hope everyone is safe.   Cheers for all the celebrations.

Have a nice day.   Stay cool.

• Like 30
  • Thanks 2

Good morning. Safe thoughts for any of you in Hurricane Debby’s path.

We are packed and getting ready to head to airport. Debby should not interfere with our flight back to Florida.

Have a great week and thanks for the reports and post. Bruce

image.thumb.jpeg.d892c4fd695eb99f77f1117779668da3.jpeg

• Like 19
  • Haha 20

Good morning everyone and thanks for the daily and maps Rich.  Today's days are and were necessities.  Good quote by Evans.  I will pass on the high carb soup, burgers with tomato slices for us.  I will take a Yuzu margarita instead of strawberry and I love a good Rioja. Thanks for researching these for us each day.  Thanks for the link to your photos of today's port Roy.  

Thanks for the cares and celebrations reports Vanessa.   I hope Chuck and Annie had a quiet day yesterday.   Prayers for healing for you both.  Prayers for Terri as a deluge is headed in her direction plus all of our group in Debby's path.  Prayers for Scott, Pat, @Haljo1935, Tana and Terry and everyone else who are ailing or grieving.  Prayers for all in war zones through no fault of their own. Prayers for Jacqui as you heal and continue to work on your move.   

Another day with some clouds. Our generator is going to turn on one of these days with all the clouds.  Being between two Great Lakes causes a lot of them.  I smoked ribs yesterday.  I have decided I like my ribs with just a rub and not the smoke.  Have a good day! Nancy 

IMG_20240804_132438413_HDR.jpg

• Like 28
  • Thanks 5

Posted (edited)

Thank you for today’s FR & D, Rich. Though it has been raining steadily since about 5 p.m. yesterday, we have only had a few heavy downpours. I have been able to find enough times to get Bindi out without her even minding too much. Lots of low level swirly winds, but the strong gusts seem to be at the tree top level. 

Fort Myers had a two foot storm surge yesterday, and places that are still recovering from Ian’s devastation were flooded again. My friends are far enough from the shore, and rebuilt to FEMA standards, so they are ok. 

@Cruzin Terri  and @seagarsmoker be safe. Those outer rain bands reached South Carolina before the real rain started here. You are in my prayers. 

Vanessa, thank you for keeping up with all of us. I really appreciate knowing that if I miss something important, I will find it out on one of your lists. 

Gym, Bindi walks (when there is a lull in the rain), lots of chores. I will not have to add water to the pool, though. 

IMG_3248.jpeg.49a2d8975c6bda934b95081cb44945ff.jpeg

IMG_3246.jpeg.9a8101f80a76d078174b5e3a46709208.jpeg

IMG_3223.jpeg.9b6e6f0bd8813bf63d25cb387bdae400.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Tana, praying you have a good day. You & Terry deserve a nice, boring day. 

That goes for you, too - Chuck & Annie. Praying for both of you. 

Praying for all our caregivers. Bless you & keep you strong. 

Cheers to all who are celebrating. 

May we each find a reason to smile today. 

Marqués de Cáceres Reserva Rioja 2018

I used the 2018 vintage info, since it was widely available and drinkable now - though one expert suggests waiting until next year. It really sounds lovely. And it is reasonably priced. Online prices start at $13.98, though Sam’s Club offered it for $10.99.

Distributor notes

A sparkling dark ruby shade. An intense and complex nose, combining a multitude of pleasing sensations. Ripe black fruit flavours, milky , coconut and mocha notes are layered against an oak and balsamic background with harmonious structure. On the palate, the wine is flavourful and voluminous with mellow tannins and a subtle spicy finish revealing a hint of eucalyptus. A great wine which expresses luscious fruit, spicy touches revealing a strong identity of its origins.

Wine Enthusiast
  • WE93

A bouquet of blackberry and chocolate-covered orange peel drifts upward from this inky garnet-colored wine. It feels juicy on the palate at first, with flavors of black cherry and raspberry that are quickly joined by notes of clove, bittersweet chocolate and black olives. Durable tannins linger in a fruit-filled finish.

James Suckling
  • JS91

A tight and slightly chewy Rioja Reserva that delivers well-judged spice and new leather to the red plums and cherries on the nose. Medium to full body with some granular tannins that will soften more in two years. Best after 2024.

Wine Spectator
  • WS90

A well-knit, medium-bodied red, with light, taut tannins trimming notes of crushed black cherry, baked fig and hints of dark chocolate, tobacco and mineral. Not a powerhouse, but rather fresh and elegant throughout, suggesting this is perfect for sipping or pairing with food. 

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 24
  • Thanks 16

Happy Monday. Thanks for the Daily and Fleet reports. 

Going up to 95 today. Very hot. I am going to post a picture in the next few days of the zucchini I harvested from my garden. It is huge! I also harvested cherry tomatoes and a purple pepper. About a month late with the harvest but at least I got something. I am a farmer. 

I picked up a last-minute class so I will be busy with four classes. I have started going to the gym again every day as a way to make sure that I get out of the house. Working from home can be isolating. 65 days until my cruise. Had a flight change though. Plane is leaving Philadelphia five minutes later. 

Thinking of all on the care list. 

Celebrating with all who are celebrating. 

Have a safe and healthy day. 

Its Monday I Can Feel It Pictures, Photos, and Images for Facebook ...

• Like 34
  • Thanks 2

Happy Monday to all!. Thanks for the Daily. I like the drink.  I have strawberries from this year’s crop in the freezer just waiting to be used for this. I would like the wine. Don’t get the lasagna soup. Love soup and lasagna, but not sure about them together, especially in this heat. We are not going to be affected by Hurricane Debby. We were supposed to be in Hilton Head this week for a first ever visit there. We will wait and see when it is safe and smart to go.

We leave Sept 29 on the Oosterdam for a cruise in the Mediterranean. Delta has shown flight changes weekly since we booked.

Loved the description and pictures that @rafinmd posted. Sounds like a nice place to visit.

Today involves a dog walk, a visit with DD who teaches. I will take her lunch and spend a few minutes with her. Got to grab these times to visit when you can with busy kids and grandkids..

Debbie

• Like 31
  • Thanks 2

Good morning, everyone!

It is an overcast rainy start to the day here in mid-Michigan, but we are supposed to get sun and more moderate temperatures.  The high today is 80, a tad lower than yesterday's 89.  We'll get more rain tomorrow and even more moderate temperatures.  

We had a productive trip to the nursery yesterday.  Sue traded our neighbor an old radio cabinet for some flowers, so we came home with a bunch of plants.  We got some yellow and purple flowers to take the place in the sunny part of the yard where the hostas used to be.  And we got some pink and purple bellflowers that will go out front.  We'll get more next year to fill in the empty spots.  

Sue is heading north to pick up River.  They are going to spend a couple of days with DS Barb on Lake Michigan.  Sue is taking out Barb's stitches from a tooth extraction, saving her a trip south to the dentist.  She still goes to her old dentist in the Detroit area.  I think it is time to move operations up where she lives.  We will have River for a little more than a week.  

Today's meal might sound better to me next fall or winter.  It is high carb, as @ottahand7 Nancy said, so I'll probably still give it a pass.  Vegetable Lasagna Soup 1

vegetarianlasagnasoup1.thumb.jpg.eb96a302c7821914ca7398b772424a4c.jpg

This recipe has tips for making the soup vegan if you wish.  You can also add in Italian sausage or ground beef for the carnivores.  Vegetable Lasagna Soup 2

vegetarianlasagnasoup2.thumb.jpg.59b549a84e120cf0101af6188ba3facc.jpg

This recipe has directions for freezing and uses white navy beans.  Beans do provide some protein along with the cheese.   Vegetable Lasagna Soup 3

vegetarianlasagnasoup3.thumb.jpg.bf73a4d727509b64f9ac9781e44ff96b.jpg

I hope all in the path of Debby are safe and those who are suffering infirmities feel better.  Forward progress is what we want to see!

Wishing you all a wonderful day!

• Like 20
  • Thanks 17

HOORAY!!!  It's MONDAY!!  And for me, being retired, it means back to regular activities and most of the rest of the world is getting ready for school, or going to work!!  I usually hibernate on the weekends and leave the outside to everyone who is busy during the week...

So MONDAYS are a wonderful day...  Conversational Coffee, Chair Yoga and today, my annual Medicare Doctor's Check-Up!  (And all those fun questions...)

I will celebrate the days by obeying the electric traffic signals carefully and wearing CLEAN underwear (I think they should have added clean), and remembering and honoring the occurrence of Hiroshima!  (My child visited last year and said it truly is a profound and meditative place!  They go back to Japan in a couple months for another visit!)

It may be too early to think about the quote...  I'll save it for later!

Vegetarian Lasagna Soup...  OK...  but don't blame me if a bit of meat sneaks in my recipe...

And topped off with Margaritas and wine...  WONDERFUL!!!

I've been to Quebec -- but I don't think to this place specifically...  so I'll enjoy the photos!!

• Like 28
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Good Morning, thanks for today’s daily fleet report.  It’s going to be another hot and humid day today.  They promise it will be cooler tomorrow.  Today’s meal suggestion would be nice on a cooler day, instead we will have chicken. 

Another memory from three years ago today.

20210805_084129.thumb.jpeg.3d0fbef37cc51be146e5ef118502ac4c.jpeg

20210805_083608.thumb.jpeg.a3fab64bfba6a3b2d320da918dc126e5.jpeg

20210805_084156.thumb.jpeg.3c311179ca37e155adec3cceef4f0aee.jpeg

• Like 27
  • Thanks 6

Thanks for our Monday Daily, Rich and thanks to our F & B team.

Of the days, I will celebrate Hiroshima day and pray that such an event doe not have to occur again.  I’ll gladly celebrate oysters (yum) thanks @0106  for letting us know it’s their day tool

IMG_1522.thumb.jpeg.1278c2bc1279e166d9752fd0480969ab.jpeg

I. Like the Evan’s quote.  Wish I could provide pics of today’s port.  It was on our itinerary last April.  Unfortunately, we couldn’t tender there so all I have is a pic at sea from a distance.

IMG_1530.thumb.jpeg.ff30ab2a8c8033c62c365e59d5006afe.jpeg

The air is thick and heavy here since none of the T-storm / storm warnings came to pass so watering is added to my “to do “ list.   Photographer comes tomorrow for house  pics, so packing will stop, boxes put away and a tidy and clean up so all is hopefully picture perfect.  LOL.  it’s a good thing that DD DH isn’t here to see it as he would be asking why it can’t be like this every day 😂 

IMG_1534.jpeg.1296e53bf69b397d62403af3c7f498ac.jpeg

Prayers for those on the Care list, those suffering losses, grief, pain, health problems, worries & those that need them 🙏. Cheers to those celebrating and cruising 🥂 

IMG_2147.jpeg.98143b0ed285b7cad7f5ff1d70c68c5a.jpeg

• Like 29
  • Thanks 6
  • Haha 2

Good morning all. Thanks for all the information and pictures. I survived yesterdays lawn work even with the heat. It is actually cooler this morning and I will take cooler and go kayaking for a bit. 

• Like 27
  • Thanks 2

Thank you Rich, thank you Debbie, thank you Vanessa, thank you Ann, and thank you Dixie for all your work.  And thank you everyone for being here!

Glad Tidings! My younger daughter, Liliy's mom, delivered Lilily's baby sister at 4:11 EST today. She is 6 lbs  12 oz. No name yet (supposedly) as I am sure my daughter will be the one to announce it. Pictures will follow.

Have a Great Weekend!

Stay Safe, and prayers for those in need.

- Jack

• Like 34
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Heartgrove said:
Thank you Rich, thank you Debbie, thank you Vanessa, thank you Ann, and thank you Dixie for all your work.  And thank you everyone for being here!

Glad Tidings! My younger daughter, Liliy's mom, delivered Lilily's baby sister at 4:11 EST today. She is 6 lbs  12 oz. No name yet (supposedly) as I am sure my daughter will be the one to announce it. Pictures will follow.

Have a Great Weekend!

Stay Safe, and prayers for those in need.

- Jack

Wonderful news Jack! Congratulations to the entire family!

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1