The Fleet Report and Daily for Monday August 19th, 2024

richwmn

Posted (edited)

Today is "Black Cow" Root Beer Float Day, Coco Chanel Day, and Great Bird of The Galaxy Day

There are only three things women need in life: food, water, and compliments. - Chris Rock

Meal Suggestion for today - Chickpea & Beef Burgers with Whipped Feta
Drink of the Day - Martini
Wine of the Day - Campo Viejo Reserva
Destination of the Day - Toyama, Japan

Today in History:
1839 Details of Louis Daguerre's 1st practical photographic process are released in Paris
1960 Sputnik 5 is launched by USSR
1964 World’s First Geostationary Satellite is Launched

Ship Locations

Eurodam --- 7 days, round-trip Alaska Explorer

Juneau, Alaska   1230-2200  

Koningsdam --- 7 days, round-trip Alaska Inside Passage
Tracy Arm/Endicott Arm, Alaska
Juneau, Alaska
  0900-0930
1330-2230

Nieuw Amsterdam --- 7 days, one-way from Whittier to Vancouver
Hubbard Glacier, Alaska   1500-1800  

Nieuw Statendam --- 21 days, round-trip Ultimate Viking Explorer
Stornoway, Isle of Lewis   1000-1800  

Noordam --- 7 days, one-way from Vancouver to Whittier
At Sea Destination Ketchikan, Alaska eta 08-20  

Oosterdam --- 7 days, round-trip All Star Irish Cruise
Santorini, Greece   0000-0000  

Rotterdam --- 7 days, round-trip Norse Legends
Eidfjord, Norway      

Volendam --- 24 days, round-trip Canada, New England Iceland
Bar Harbor, Maine   0900-1800  

Westerdam --- 7 days, round-trip Escape With Effy
At Sea Destination Juneau, Alaska eta 08-20  

Zaandam --- 7 days, round-trip Alaska Inside Passage
Ketchikan, Alaska   1100-1900  

Zuiderdam --- 35 days, round-trip Voyage Of The Vikings
St Anthony, Newfoundland   0700-1600

0819Atlantic.png

0819Alaska.png

Edited by richwmn
  • Like 21
  • Thanks 29

Good Monday Morning Dailyties!  Up early so the weather is dark, cooler than the middle of the day and still no breeze.  Today Momma Munchkin is getting spayed, so all are up early, with  no food, no water, once I get her in the carrier, the rest will get food, and water.  Hugs to all!

• Like 35
  • Thanks 3

Posted (edited)

Greetings from beautiful Port Charlotte.

77 heading up to 92 and dry again.

I loved Root Beer floats but can’t tell you the last time I had one.

I’ll have to ask DW about the quote.
The meal is a pass.

I’m not a martini fan, but I’ll take a Manhattan. 
Early tee time today.

Have a great day, stay safe and well.

Edited by MISTER 67
  • Like 33

Thank you Rich, Vanessa, Debbie, Ann and Dixie for the FR&D    Not sure what any of today’s days are.   Special prayers fo r Melissa, Bonnie,  Terri, Katherine’s friend, Sandi’s brother, Scottie,  Chuck, Annie and Tana with  Annie and Chuck at the top of the list..

The Rock quote sounds a bit shallow..

I have not been to Toyana.

Two interesting days in space history and another in photography.

I’ll pass on  the meal.  My alternative is Dive-In fries which I enjoyed in Glacier Bay on MS Statendam August 19, 2914

PT at 10 this morning and then I’m not quite sure what else..

Roy

• Like 41
  • Thanks 1

Good morning.  Thanks for the Report.

Another cloudy day but I think the rain has moved away.  Hope it's a good week.

I'll pass on root beer floats, Coco Chanel was terrific, may the Great Bird of the Galaxy bless us.

I don't like the quote.

I'll pass on the meal and the drink, not sure about the wine.

Prayers for so many. 

• Like 33
  • Thanks 2

Today's sunrise is from the smallest of the Royal Caribbean ships I have sailed, Empress of the Seas, on a short cruise out of Miami.  On August 19, 2019 we visited Key West:

dawn0819.jpg

Roy

• Like 35
  • Thanks 5

Good morning friends!  Another hot day here.  Currently it's 84 and we will be sunny again and 107 for a high.  We just stay inside - forget doing anything outdoors!🥵

Thank you Rich @richwmn for the Fleet Report and Daily as well as the ship location maps.  I like root beer floats, but the other two days I don't have any interest in recognizing.  Funny quote by Chris Rock, no thanks to chickpeas, can't drink straight alcohol so I guess a martini is out, and don't know about the wine yet.  Thanks Debbie @dfish, Dixie @summer slope and Ann @cat shepard for telling us about them.

Prayers for DB, twin sister, DD, the people of Israel and Ukraine, the hostages still held there and our military members in the region. 🙏 Many prayers for our Care list group, and I pray for improvement in everyone.  Good luck today Jacqui @kazu with your offers!  Cheers to everyone cruising, preparing to cruise, and those celebrating special occasions!  Enjoy!  Thanks to dear Vanessa @JazzyV for the list work today.  I hope you are feeling less dizzy again and find a way out of the vertigo and nausea.

The port today is new - Toyama, Japan.  I've never heard it mentioned anywhere and have not been there.  No links for today.  Please feel free to post your photos and experiences there if you have any.  

Today all Ren's teammates are back to practices, and he has early PT so he will be up soon.  DS and DDIL are enjoying their time in Singapore and took a side trip to Malacca, Malaysia with her family members.  We hear from him each day by call or text. 

Hope you all have a great day today!  Stay safe and keep well!

• Like 31
  • Thanks 2

Today’s Care List:

Lindaler’s DS with an emergency situation

Hal Sailer diagnosed with Lymphoma

Heat, Fires, flooding and Storms across the US

Citizens of Ukraine, Israel and Gaza, hostages still held

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

From the Rotation:

Tana with chronic pulmonary issues, weakness, poor appetite

StLouisCruisers’ twin post shoulder replacement

Lazey1’s DS with multiple medical issues

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Kazu’s house is on the market, with lots of interest

Lazey1’s DS Tony making slow improvement

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

1 day for TiogaCruiser (Volendam Aug 20 to Aug 31) 11d Newfoundland & New England Discovery

3 days for Lady Hudson (Vision of the Seas Aug 22 to Aug 31) 9d Cabada/New England

5 days for Crazy For Cats (Zuiderdam Aug 24 to Aug 31) B2B 7d Canada/New England Discovery + (Zuiderdam Aug 31 to Sept 7) 7d Canada/New England Discovery

5 days for Dfish (Zuiderdam Aug 24 to Aug 31) B2B 7d Canada/New England Discovery + (Zuiderdam Aug 31 to Sept 7) 7d Canada/New England Discovery

5 days for Sharon in AZ (Zuiderdam Aug 24 to Aug 31) B2B 7d Canada/New England Discovery + (Zuiderdam Aug 31 to Sept 7) 7d Canada/New England Discovery

6 days for LAFFNVEGAS (Westerdam Aug 25 to Sept 1) 7d Alaska Explorer

6 days for Dobiemom (Westerdam Aug 25 to Sept 1) 7d Alaska Explorer

Horizon Chaser 1957 (Volendam to Aug 20) 24d Canada, NE, Iceland, Cunnorl (Zuiderdam to Aug 24) 35d Voyage of the Vikings, St Pete Cruiser (Zuiderdam to Aug 24) 35d Voyage of the Vikings, RMLincoln (Emerald Princess to Aug 28) 17d Greenland & Canada, Norseh2o (Oceania Marina to Aug 29) 44d Epic Northern Adventure London to London, celebrating 50th anniversary, 0106 (Rotterdam to Aug 31) 14d Best of Norway and Gail & Marty sailing away (Rotterdam to Oct 27) 

• Like 20
  • Thanks 25

Posted (edited)

OH no, now the computer says very humid.!

Years ago DH and I watched a program called departures.  It was a travelogue about 2 young Canadians who traveled the globe, for one one year, and photographed and filmed (so actually there were 3 of them) their travels, I loved this show, it actually ran for 3 seasons,  I have been thinking about ordering it, but I asked DH If he could find it , so it turns out its on Roku.  And we started watching Saturday night, they drove across Canada, and went to Petra Jordan.  Then we watched all day yesterday, as they traveled to Japan, New Zealand, The Cook Islands, India, Ascension Island, and then we went to bed. Between shows, I made a quiche to munch off of this week, I vacuumed the living room and dining room (our office area).

When the year was over, one went back to work, along with the filmographer, and the one who had the hardest time "missing Home" when they started the adventure, decided that he had not seen enough of the world, and stayed in Europe.  He called his friend, and said, hey come back over, there is still so much to see, and they meet up in Spain, and start year 2, which is more insightful than year one, and I noticed when D brought it up, there were 3 seasons.  I dont remember 3, so perhaps they kept traveling?

I see so many scenes that I have seen since I became a Dailyites, that you all post, it's like when I see them now, I say, of that's so and such place, and  so and so posted pictures, and DH thinks I am losing it.  LOL.  But your pictures do make me feel like I have done the traveling.

The show was released back in 08, and that's when I watched it, before I even became a cruise "junky".

Edited by marshhawk
  • Like 36
  • Thanks 4

thanks for our Monday Daily, Rich and many thanks to our ever faithful F & B team and Vanessa for her wonderful list.

Good collection of days.  Black crows were seen as a bad omen by many while the Great Bird of the Galaxy (introduced in Star Trek I believe) was a good luck one.  Anyone remember Gene Rodenberry’s face superimposed on the painting of the Great Bird of the Galaxy?  Coco Chanel did so much for fashion and perfume.

IMG_3514.jpeg.bbbd2df83c90843802a1f3ae7f4f9d08.jpeg

I don’t quite agree with the Rock quote - he left out wine 😂 Today’s wine is a really good one even though I can’t enjoy it (DD DH did).

IMG_0937.thumb.jpeg.5fd71a7edd00d186b4a9a0d631f7f1b9.jpeg

Thanks for putting up with my worrying yesterday, everyone.  Today is D-Day.  Realtors have set a time to meet as we are both confident  that there are offers coming.

IMG_3503.jpeg.11c3e50d18e9870a3e24ae6843b405d3.jpeg

Ivan is very glad the showings are over.  The food hound didn’t even finish his dinner for a few minutes.  he collapsed on the floor to a) claim it and b) rest.

IMG_2696.thumb.jpeg.d47e9108c3cf3b3bc9e795dfc4abb321.jpeg

We are both going to be very happy to have a bit of normalcy today and just in time, as Ernesto comes through.  it’s going to be one rainy week.  that’s ok.  We don’t have to sit outside anymore 😉  Time to get my stuff together and remember….

IMG_1068.jpeg.92938adc2b7b533bcfb13e5cb9405e3c.jpeg

Prayers for those on the Care list & those that need them 🙏. Cheers to those celebrating and cruising 🥂

• Like 40
  • Thanks 1

Good Monday morning. @kochleffel, Paul, This one's for you!

Martini cocktail:

The martini is a cocktail made with gin and vermouth, and garnished with an olive and/or a lemon twist. Over the years, the martini has become one of the best-known mixed alcoholic beverages. A common variation, the vodka martini, uses vodka instead of gin for the cocktail's base spirit.
Ingredients: 1/2 oz (1 part) Dry vermouth,
3 oz (6 parts) Gin

Preparation:
Pour all ingredients into mixing glass with ice cubes. Stir well. Strain in chilled martini cocktail glass. Squeeze oil from lemon peel onto the drink, or garnish with olive.

Screenshot 2024-08-19 at 6.46.24 AM.png

• Like 22
  • Thanks 15

Good morning from Bluffton, SC, where it rained overnight.  It is too dark to know what kind of day we are going to have.

Thank you to Rich for the FR&D.  Thank you to Debbie, Ann and Dixie for keeping us fed and hydrated.  

Thank you to Vanessa for keeping up with us regarding our needs and our celebrations.

DH has devloped a rash on his arms and legs so today I am going to try to get an emergency visit with the Dermatologist. If not we will go to the Urgent Care and get some help.  He was picking up some pine needles and junk in the back yard.  i have a feeling this is what caused it.  He had a t shirt and shorts on.  Should have covered up. Now he pays the price.  Hopefully we will get an appointment.

Nothing else going on around here.  Pretty quiet.

Hope everyone has a good day.

God Bless

Terri

• Like 31
  • Thanks 7

Posted (edited)

DH was not able to get the cat out from under the bed this morning; he is positioned just out of reach, so he really does not want to be bothered. He'll do whatever he has to do this afternoon when he gets home from work to get him out. Then we'll be off to the Vet.

Best wishes for some great offers today @kazu

Prayers 🙏 and positive thoughts for all.

Edited by Haljo1935
Additional comment
  • Like 30
  • Thanks 4

Posted (edited)

Good morning everyone.  Thanks for the daily and maps Rich.  I would like a root beer float with low carb ice cream and sugar free root beer.  I like crows and especially Ravens if they are today's bird. Hooray for the late Coco Chanel.   The quote is shallow.   I have not been to Japan.  I'll pass on the burger, I like gin in my Martini and I guess today's is a red from Spain which I would enjoy.   Thanks for researching these for us each day.  

Thanks for the Cares and Celebrations reports Vanessa.   Prayers for Tana and Terry, I hope you got some rest this weekend and had a good visit with your family.  Prayers for Melissa, Ann, Bonnie, Chuck and Annie,  and Jim and Terri.  Good luck Jacqui as you discover the perfect bid and move out date.   Prayers for all who are ailing and in war zones.  

The day starts dingy again with 53 degrees and a high of 66. Some sun please.  My laundry hamper is really full and I need sun to dry it.  Have a lovely Monday. Nancy 

Edited by ottahand7
  • Like 33
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, richwmn said:

Today is "Black Cow" Root Beer Float Day, Coco Chanel Day, and Great Bird of The Galaxy Day

There are only three things women need in life: food, water, and compliments. - Chris Rock

Meal Suggestion for today - Chickpea & Beef Burgers with Whipped Feta
Drink of the Day - Martini
Wine of the Day - Campo Viejo Reserva
Destination of the Day - Toyama, Japan

Today in History:
1839 Details of Louis Daguerre's 1st practical photographic process are released in Paris
1960 Sputnik 5 is launched by USSR
1964 World’s First Geostationary Satellite is Launched

Ship Locations

Eurodam --- 7 days, round-trip Alaska Explorer

Juneau, Alaska   1230-2200  

Koningsdam --- 7 days, round-trip Alaska Inside Passage
Tracy Arm/Endicott Arm, Alaska
Juneau, Alaska
  0900-0930
1330-2230

Nieuw Amsterdam --- 7 days, one-way from Whittier to Vancouver
Hubbard Glacier, Alaska   1500-1800  

Nieuw Statendam --- 21 days, round-trip Ultimate Viking Explorer
Stornoway, Isle of Lewis   1000-1800  

Noordam --- 7 days, one-way from Vancouver to Whittier
At Sea Destination Ketchikan, Alaska eta 08-20  

Oosterdam --- 7 days, round-trip All Star Irish Cruise
Santorini, Greece   0000-0000  

Rotterdam --- 7 days, round-trip Norse Legends
Eidfjord, Norway      

Volendam --- 24 days, round-trip Canada, New England Iceland
Bar Harbor, Maine   0900-1800  

Westerdam --- 7 days, round-trip Escape With Effy
At Sea Destination Juneau, Alaska eta 08-20  

Zaandam --- 7 days, round-trip Alaska Inside Passage
Ketchikan, Alaska   1100-1900  

Zuiderdam --- 35 days, round-trip Voyage Of The Vikings
St Anthony, Newfoundland   0700-1600

0819Atlantic.png

0819Alaska.png

Zuiderdam will call at Corner Brook tomorrow rather than St John's to avoid the effects of Ernesto. 

We are at St Anthony today.

17240661655695824089972489212477.jpg

17240662696593443897134729160111.jpg

• Like 38
  • Thanks 2

Happy Monday, Thank you for the Daily and Fleet reports. 

Busy day today. Finishing up one class. Starting two new classes. I have to finish a project I am working on for another university. The work never ends. 

Might get some rain today. 51 days until my cruise. I will definitely need this cruise. 

Thinking of all on the care list. 

Celebrating with all who are celebrating. 

Have a safe and healthy day. 

monday work meme funny - Chameleon Memes

• Like 38

Thank you Rich, thank you Debbie, thank you Vanessa, thank you Ann, and thank you Dixie for all your work.  And thank you everyone for being here!

DSIL is in good spirits and awaiting surgery on Thursday. The doctor said that the ER did a good job of realigning her bones for the temporary cast. If there were other circumstances they might not have planned surgery but by reinforcing the break with plates and screws it would be stronger in the long run.

Stay Safe, and prayers for those in need.

- Jack

• Like 37
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Thank you for today’s FR&D, Rich! Another lovely morning here. Two more late season fawns with super dark white spots greeted Bindi & me this morning. One was very curious. The other - not so much. Their Mom(s) were close by keeping a very watchful eye. I love my neighborhood. 

Vanessa! I was so bummed to read that the dizziness & nausea returned. Are you only supposed to do the exercises when you experience dizziness, or can you do them as a preventive measure - like right before bedtime? Thank you for keeping up with all of us. 

Gym, Bindi walks, chores, a visit with a friend who just got out of the hospital after a horrific bout with viral pneumonia.  She still has no clue how it came about. And maybe wrapping up the day with some pool time. 

IMG_3303.jpeg.9706646ca0dffc74394e95074718f268.jpeg

IMG_3252.jpeg.51110e3a0bb1af35a7bfaa2876937aca.jpeg

IMG_3269.jpeg.8bc81be5f99f07d102912a56c36b083f.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Tana, Terry & the Cavalry, Annie & Chuck, Melisa & DH, Bonnie, Tony, Ann & Pat, Terri & Jim, Jacqui and all our caregivers.

Cheers to all who are celebrating.  

May we each find a reason to smile today.

Campo Viejo Reserva

This Rioja sounds lovely. And it is easy to find and priced to try. You could always turn it into an amazing Sangria, if you didn’t enjoy it by itself. Online prices start at $12.99.

Winemakers notes 

An elegant expression of premium Rioja vines made from Tempranillo, Graciano and Mazuelo. Aged for 3 years as a minimum. 18 months in American and French oak barrels and 18 more in bottle. The end result is rounded, flavoursome and well-balanced wine. 

ALC/VOL13.5%

AROMA & PALATE

Fruit (cherries, black plums, ripe blackberries) and oak (clove, pepper, vanilla and coconut), enriched by the complex aromas developed during bottle aging. Very attractive on the palate, with ripe fruit and spices, tabacco and toasted oak. Elegant and soft tannins, middle weight, long and complex finish.

FOOD MATCHES

Delicious with red meat, grills and roasts, game, mature and blue cheeses. Try also with mushroom risotto or aubergine parmigiana.

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 22
  • Thanks 16
  • Haha 3

Good morning all!

What a great Monday. Kazu will get the juicy offers for her house, The temp outside is an almost chilly 69. New fleet maps, recipes, and a perplexing quote to consider.

My DH has a degree in theoretical physics because of Sputnik. Seems that event sparked a recruiting flourish among college students. His 50th college reunion was filled with guys who had a PhD in theoretical physics. I taught first grade so have spent our entire marriage trying to figure out how his brain works.😁

Don’t care for theChist Rock quote. I like my martinis  with vodka, cranberry  juice, lime and a cherry….oh, wait, that’s a Cosmo. Have not been to the port, look forward to today’s posts.

The highlight of our day will be a trip to a clinic to get paxlovid. DH tested positive yesterday and I don’t want it again! Our experience so far with this strain is that if you are exposed, you get sick quickly.  DD had it last week and she had a sore throat and a very bad head cold. DH had sore throat, first and now in his chest. We will go get the meds to knock it out. He can only  take a reduced version of paxlovid because of compromised kidney function.
A nap is on my schedule for later today.  slept in the guest room to avoid germs.   Max the chihuahua  went back and forth trying to figure out where he should sleep. 

Love the fleet maps, thank you very much Rich. We board the Oosterdam in 37 days!

Prayers for all on the Daily. Wishing everyone cooler days soon, safety, and good health. Special prayers for all dealing. with health and other issues.

Debbie 

• Like 33
  • Thanks 5

Good morning, everyone!   

It is refreshingly cool in the house this morning.  We've been promised a sunny day with temps in the mid 70s.  Perfect in my estimation!  Not a lot on the agenda today other than the gym and working on the packing for our trip.  I actually do have some stuff in the suitcases.  As I wash clothes I put them in the suitcase.  Yesterday I went around the house with a tube of mortar repair and closed up some cracks.  I don't want critters moving in while we're gone.  I haven't seen signs of them since we plugged up the one hole, so we must have found their entrance.  We reinforced that plug and sealed it with the mortar.  I also did some minor repair on the grout in the bathroom.  They have some amazing products out for home repair.  You'd never know where the spots are that I repaired.  

@kazu We all have our fingers and toes crossed hoping for great bids on the house and buyers who are willing to work with you on the closing date.  

@smitty34877 I sure hope your reinforcements helped you get some rest this weekend and that you are up and raring to go.  

@StLouisCruisers I would not enjoy that heat!

@JazzyV Your dizziness and nausea are so perplexing.  I hope you get relief soon.  

I think I agree with those who said pass on the meal today.  The carbs are high even after subtracting the fiber.  I might like the whipped feta, but what is really appealing to me are the fresh veggies in the picture.  The pepper, tomato, onion, lettuce....    Chickpea and Beef Burgers with Whipped Feta

chickpeaandbeefburger1.jpg.6d2664e8ff2f35c2e2da771091e446d0.jpg

This next one is a combination of chickpeas and sweet potatoes.  I did not find any variations of the chickpea and beef combo.  Chickpea and Sweet Potato Burgers

chickpeaandbeefburger2.thumb.jpg.20ad60b1e6f4d8e872602e0d2624c475.jpg

And this one is just plain beef with the whipped feta sauce.  Beef Burger with Whipped Feta

chickpeaandbeefburger3.png.c9260bc0fecbb85dd67fd45193c1cce8.png

Wishing you all a wonderful day!

• Like 22
  • Thanks 17

Good afternoon.

It is partly sunny and 63°F here.

Thank you for today's daily reports.

Strange quote as everyone knows women like 

Shop's,clothes,shoes,handbags,makeup and jewellery.

Best wishes to everyone for a lovely day.

Screenshot_20240819_124712.jpg

• Like 25
  • Thanks 9