The Fleet Report and Daily for Monday September 2nd, 2024

3 hours ago, ger_77 said:

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  No calendar adjustments needed here, I can see it's September 2nd.  I like coconut, fresh, dried, or sweetened out of the pack when baking.  You know, sometimes you just have to live fearless, even if it's only for a few minutes.  Just go for it!

It's a bright, sunny, warm day for us already with a temp of 18(64) and an expected high of 31(87).  Currently all the windows are open and we're enjoying a slight breeze that will help keep the house cool for a few more hours till everything gets shut tightly and the a/c kicks in.  

I finally had enough worrying about DH and yesterday morning got him up and took him to a walk-in clinic.  The clinic opened at 9 and we were there at 8:40; there were already a half dozen people standing in line, so I got in line and waited.  DH got out of the car when the doors opened and we went in to register - well, as soon as you mention chest pain, you're given 5 star treatment!  He was whisked into an exam room where of course they did an ECG and asked a zillion questions.  After a short while they determined the pain wasn't heart related, but was musculoskeletal in nature and sent him home saying 2 Tylenol arthritis 3 times daily along with alternating heat/cold would be the best thing for him.  It was a relief to know it wasn't his heart, and it was later confirmed with a phone call from the same doctor later in the afternoon once they'd received the results of the blood test.  He spent last night sleeping in the recliner and when he got up, said it was the first day he hadn't had pain across the front of his chest, so it looks like we're making progress.  It was suggested that the pain could have been viral, but they couldn't be sure.

@Quartzsite Cruiser wishing you and Steve a very Happy Anniversary today!

@RMLincoln Happy Birthday to you with many happy returns of the day, and congratulations on your new great-granddaughter!

@Seasick Sailoryour cabin is great - what a view to wake up to!!

@Denise T congratulations on finishing your dissertation - wow, after all you've had to wade through to get it done, you deserve a cruise to celebrate!

Not really anything on the agenda for us today, so we might just take a drive around the city to see if there are any colour changes happening on the trees along the river.  And because DH was such a good boy at the doctor's yesterday, I think I'll take him for ice cream.  LOL 

I'd enjoy the drink of the day as well as the wine, but will pass on Jennifer Anniston's salad.  A number of years ago when I dieted to lose weight for DS's wedding, I ate the same thing every day at lunch for almost a full year - a salad consisting of cottage cheese, chicken breast, cherry tomatoes, cucumbers and green peppers.  It worked; I lost 39 pounds.  Sadly, I've found them all again.  LOL  Because it's Labor Day, I'm not going to be laboring much for dinner - I think we're going to have hot dogs on the grill along with Greek Salad (I've got to use up all these cucumbers people keep leaving for us!) and we'll enjoy it all on the deck tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who is in need, in grief, in pain, and especially for the souls of the slain hostages in Gaza and their families.  Cheers to all with celebrations today.

Smooth Sailing!  ☺️☺️☺️

Gerry

Gerry, I know you are both relieved that DH's heart was not the problem.  I hope time, pain meds and the heat/cold routine, has him feeling much, much better soon.  It's good to know today is already a better day.  If you need another cucumber recipe, I have a tomato, cucumber, onion salad recipe that we had often when we had our garden in Pennsylvania.  Cucumbers were one vegetable we did not have nay trouble growing in abundance.  Thank you for the Happy Anniversary wishes.

2 hours ago, RedneckBob said:

OMG, were we in the same taxi! Our one and only trip to Trinidad was on the Volendam in Dec 1999!

Oh so close, but we were there on Noordam III in April or May 1999.  At least in 2015, they used buses.

2 hours ago, luvteaching said:

Good morning and Happy Labor Day, 

@Quartzsite Cruiser Happy 57th Anniversary! 

@RMLincoln Happy Birthday!

@Denise T Congrats on completing your dissertation!

It's cloudy and somewhat cooler here today with a predicted high of just 70. I'm ok with that. 

Yesterday's 50th anniversary celebration at Lake Cavanaugh was very nice. The drive there was about an hour and some twisty roads but I made it. The driveway to the house was a sharp turn and somewhat steep so DS took my car back up when I left. There were close to 20 people there and it was all casual. Most were down on the dock and enjoying the water, kayak, canoe, etc. There was lots of food and around 5:00 everyone was in, we toasted the happy couple, a few tears were shed especially by their daughters, and we ate. I was home before dark so that was good. 

Today is hanging out at home. I have some cookies I want to get mixed up and maybe baked since it's cooler today, my neighbor will be down for tea when I text her it's ready, and I should do fun things like change the sheets, etc. 

Happy Labor Day!

Karen

Karen, I'm glad the 50th anniversary party was nice.  Thank you for the Happy Anniversary wishes.  We're having a quiet day here.

2 hours ago, Overhead Fred said:

Thank you. Fred.

1 hour ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Are you kidding us RNB?  If not, what a huge coincidence that would be!  🫢  Let's hear from Lenda!

Lenda @Quartzsite Cruiser I was thinking Brenda and Paul might live in the motor home too.  I know they have some storage space aka barn/storage building where they could put their huge amount of furniture.  They had a U-Haul truck here yesterday around dinner time, and had two men helping take furnishings to it.  Since they have a lower level they used their golf cart to attach heavy pieces from downstairs, onto the back of the golf cart and drove it out front to the U-Haul ramp. It left early this morning and is probably down south dropping off furniture right now.  I don't envy them all this work!

Sandi, as you probably read, we were in Trinidad several months before RNB.  That would have been too much of a coincidence.  We almost met in Trinidad if we hadn't been on different buses.  When we sold our house in 1999, we packed everything, and the movers loaded and stored the boxes and furniture for us until our house was finished.

1 hour ago, durangoscots said:

Good morning. Today is the last official day of the motorcycle rally and already I am noticing a slight decrease in the roar. Hopefully by tomorrow things will be close to our normal quiet. Wonder if I can leave town next year!!!

Nothing new here. Weather is nice and sunny and we may get thunder showers this afternoon. it has been wonderfully cool at night. Yesterday I did help with the hunt for the Corgi. Right now the feeling is that he was picked up.... a sniffer dog tracked him to the road and then lost the scent. I am relieved and hope that is true since there is a chance we can get him back. Lots of posters are up.... reward offered .... and fingers crossed. We have used drones to see if we can locate him but so far nothing except deer and a couple of very surprised bears.

Off to do whatever I am going to get done. No plans for the day. Almost everyone I know is hunkered down away from the roads.... we will celebrate when the rally folk are gone.

Susan

Susan, I hope the corgi was picked up and is safe.  Hopefully, the owner and dog will be reunited soon.

1 hour ago, Cruising-along said:

Good morning all!

What a change, it's cloudy and cooler today (only up to 70).  But that's fine, the sun and heat will return later this week.

Interesting days, and I will pass on the coconut in any form.  I'll also pass on the meal and red wine, but would like to try the drink.  Have not been to the port -- thanks for all the photos!

Happy 57th anniversary Lenda and Steve @Quartzsite Cruiser

Happy 70th birthday Maureen @RMLincoln!

Denise @Denise T A big congratulations on completing your dissertation.  I love that you have a cruise to celebrate!

I got surprising news this morning.  My DS and DBIL, who have been on a Tennessee River Cruise, have come down with Covid for the first time. 😞  They tested positive 2 days after leaving the cruise.  They'd planned on visiting friends in FL, but now they're in a hotel until this passes.  I feel bad for them -- DBIL had finally finished his prostate cancer treatments and they were finally able to travel.  

Good news about BFF's DIL Amber though.  She had the final surgery on Friday. It was a 4-hour surgery to replace the skull flap and all went well.  I know they're all very happy to have this over and done with.

I think we'll be doing a Costco run today, and otherwise will be weather-dependent.  Now the forecast is even calling for storms today! 

Have a good day everyone and Happy Labor Day!

Carolyn, I'm sorry your DS and DBIL have covid, and are stuck in a hotel on top of that.  I hope they feel better soon.  That is good news Amber had her final surgery and it went well.

1 hour ago, Haljo1935 said:

Happy Anniversary @Quartzsite Cruiser🍾🥂

anniversary-wishes.gif.df41919f67c68d64b902d899517b984c.gif.e18685bbe856414fddd0a5aedb20c93e.gif

Thank you, Elizabeth.

1 hour ago, aliaschief said:

@RMLincoln Happy Birthday🎂

@Quartzsite CruiserHappy Anniversary!🍾

Thank you, Bruce.

@RMLincoln  Maureen, I don't know how I managed to not offer congratulations on the birth of the new great grandbaby earlier.  I hope Sandy and the baby are doing well.

@dfish  Debbie, and @ottahand7 Nancy, and any other Dailyites on the January 11, 2025, Koningsdam sailing, we had a final notice from HAL that the Labor Day sale ends tomorrow with our cruise featured.  I checked, and even though we booked last week under the sale, we can save money with a price drop.  We're going to call tomorrow to see what we can do without losing our cabin and everything we've booked.  Debbie, I wonder if the FCC on board could help you and Sue.

I forgot to mention in my pictures from Trinidad that the naval ship at the dock is the Royal Netherlands Holland Class ship, Zeeland.  It is the second ship in that class.

Lenda

• Like 17
  • Thanks 5

Good day and thanks all.  @Quartzsite Cruisera very happy anniversary Lenda and Steve. @RMLincolnhappy 70 th birthday. Congratulations on the new grandchild

@ger_77 glad you got things checked out for DH.  lol on the ice cream 

A  lovely weekend camping. Very hot today 32. @cat shepardthats a  nice wine. 
we had a lovely French rose last night. 

Quite  the weekend with a country concert last evening.  

IMG_2049.jpeg

IMG_2064.jpeg

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 19
  • Thanks 6

3 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Good morning from a cloudy and gray central Texas.  Our much needed rain prediction was moved from 4am to 6am, and now the weather app is saying we'll get rain at 6pm.  I'm not holding my breath, but since DH has an appointment Tuesday and another Wednesday, my guess is that is when we'll get rain.  It is 77F and feels like 77F with a 9mph wind from the NE.  The humidity is 90% with a dew point of 73F.  Our predicted high is 83F, quite a change from last month.

I hope everyone enjoys a relaxing Labor Day.

Calendar Adjustment Day is celebrated on September 2 to commemorate the day Britain switched from the Julian to the Gregorian calendar.  Someone else can enjoy my coconut.  I think a small amount of fear in our lives is necessary to keep us from doing some dangerous things.

The quote is interesting, but I don't totally agree with it.

We'll pass on the meal, but would love to try the wine.  I've enjoyed a few Tequila Sunrise drinks on BHBs.

We have been to Port-of-Spain four times.

The Great London Fire in 1666 was devastating to the city.

V-J day ended a horrible war.

@StLouisCruisers  Sandi, please wish Austin a VERY HAPPY BIRTHDAY for us.  If Brenda and Paul still have their motorhome, they will have a place to live until they find a new house.  We did that for four or five months before the house we're in now was ready.

@grapau27  Graham, glad your internet is back and you are back on The Daily. 

@ottahand7  Nancy, I hope the fishing is good today.  I hope the doctors can finally figure out what is going on with your DB and find a cure.

@RedneckBob  RNB, we were on a tour in Trinidad where they ran out of bus space, and many were loaded into taxis.  This was in 1999, and our taxi was so old it was a Datsun.  We did the entire tour feeling like sardines, and were very glad when we reached the beach and could get out of the car for a few minutes.  Thank you for wishing us a Happy Anniversary.

@Denise T  Congratulations, on getting your dissertation sent off for review.

@Heartgrove  Jack, that is good news your DSIL came home Saturday.  Thank you for the anniversary wishes.

@Mr. Boston  Thank you for the anniversary wishes.  Enjoy your DBIL's visit.

@Seasick Sailor  Thank you for the nice anniversary wishes.  Thank you too for sharing the pictures of your cabin.

@dfish  Debbie, enjoy your day in Charlottetown.  Thanks for the anniversary wishes.

@marshhawk  Annie, thank you for the good wishes.

@smitty34877  Terry, thank you for the good wishes today.  Enjoy your dinner cooked by DSIL.

@puppycanducruise  Thank you for the good wishes today.

@seagarsmoker  Thank you for the anniversary good wishes.

436381824_425670536838688_2089761687792468245_n.jpg.caf8ac4f1a1fd6b6f519877d977b0dd6.jpg

438165236_122139161762097816_4085900677471686625_n.jpg.8ccb3035eeb64b1647726fa5513e6a49.jpg

457052078_122211901568020743_4286304360356949136_n.jpg.01a0369e9fd54d85c0a68643f9c422b0.jpg

457258493_1064632681699331_1099712943252574661_n.jpg.9a47002699972fb1b8927c6a7d0f4289.jpg

457283709_3740327552949450_8370796016617158383_n.jpg.dbd49ba21e292a3afa2c0083330f0313.jpg

457467946_1078160577230664_1858941412417760823_n.jpg.c4a03476a31b9fe72ae153f872a49dfa.jpg

Lenda

Thank you Lenda.

My internet will be off tomorrow.

• Like 11

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily.

Happy Labor Day! I'll acknowledge calendar adjustment day. I only like coconut milk; the meat is a no due to texture issues. We should all be able to live fearless. I have to think about the quote. I'll pass on the meal, yes to the drink and the wine. I haven't been to Port-Of-Spain. One devastating day and one good day.

It was only about 50F this AM. We're only going into the mid-70's today, with a low tonight in the 40's! We are getting cool Canadian air, according to the weather person. I don't know why things seem harder these days. Just stripping the bed and putting on fresh sheets was tiring. Then I gathered garbage and recycling to be placed outside later. My next door neighbor has a peach tree that drops rotting fruit in my yard. Some years ago, after I complained, they cut it down (rotten peaches fell in their yard too). But it grew back. The neighbor said she'd have her husband cut it back, but they didn't. So I was out with rubber gloves on picking up at least 20 pieces of fruit. Even though it is cooler out, I was in the sun, and dripping sweat. I put on insect repellent as there's been mosquitos with West Nile Virus in the area. Now I'm baking one of my sourdough loaves. Laundry will have to wait - I've already done too much labor on Labor Day..

@Quartzsite Cruiser Happy 57th Anniversary to you and Steve!

@RMLincoln Happy Birthday! And congrats to DGD Andrea and her DH on their new arrival!

@grapau27 Thank you for the link.

@StLouisCruisers Happy Birthday to Austin! Very nice photos from Port-of-Spain. 

@Mtn2Sea Interesting photos. Do you know why people were brought back to the ship by police? Was it not safe to walk around?

@cat shepard I'm glad you were impressed with first hand information about the retirement community. 

@smitty34877 I'm sorry the weekend has been tough and I hope you can get some rest when at least the aide is back.

@Denise T As I was reading about your dissertation I was thinking, it's like a child! Good luck with it. 

@Heartgrove I'm sure DSIL is happy to be home. 

@ottahand7 Prayers for your DB and I hope they can get him feeling better.

@Quartzsite Cruiser Great photos, thanks.

@ger_77 Good to hear that DH was cleared of heart issues.

@durangoscots When you say the Corgi was picked up, do you think stolen? He wasn't turned in to any animal shelter, I gather.

@aliaschief I know you're enjoying the family time.

@Cruising-along I hope DS and DBIL have mild cases; it's a shame it's spoiled their plans to visit friends in FL. Good news about Amber. 

@Seasick Sailor That's a very nice cabin.

@kazu I hope you're doing ok, with all you have to do.

Prayers for the Care List and a Toast to those Celebrating.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 11

1 hour ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Aloha Denise!

So nice to hear from you! How are you and David? Sean and Paisley?

What is your latest painting project?

I miss the Barefoot Bar and wish I was with you sharing a Mai Tai!

Love to you sister! Aloha!

🌺🌺🌺🌺

Aloha sweet sis❤️

First heading back home next weekend. So finishing getting house closed up and talking with our Gardner since he takes care of our home. We are all doing well and happy. Shawn is doing great and just finished coming back from New York to see her girlfriend Ariana Maddox who had the lead in Chicago as Roxy. She’s at The Ambassador! 
Little Paisley our cocker celebrated her 15th birthday!!

And did my last painting done AND done!!!

So happy for you and Allen! Lovely SS room! Best for both of yo!

Also easy access to elevator to SeaView POOL area and bar! We loved the  Westerdam!

🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺

Mahalo ❤️Denise 😌, and here is my painting and a pic of Shawn with her friend Annan in New York for the play!

image.thumb.jpeg.4d21a9573870f4e700b5961e9ec0eb2d.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.ee7c7f92a704b24993e54080baaa4cb9.jpeg

• Like 29
  • Thanks 2

18 minutes ago, DeeniEncinitas said:

🌺🌺🌺🌺

Aloha sweet sis❤️

First heading back home next weekend. So finishing getting house closed up and talking with our Gardner since he takes care of our home. We are all doing well and happy. Shawn is doing great and just finished coming back from New York to see her girlfriend Ariana Maddox who had the lead in Chicago as Roxy. She’s at The Ambassador! 

Also easy access to elevator to SeaView POOL area and bar! We loved the  Westerdam!

🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺

Mahalo ❤️Denise 😌, and here is my painting and a pic of Shawn with her friend Annan in New York for the play!

Ohhhh. Your painting is one of many I love!! Shawn looks happy and I love their picture in front of the marquee!

Have safe travels home. I loved walking past your house every morning when we still owned at the Westin. 

I still pray for Lahaina over a year after the fire. It makes my heart ache.

Love to you and the family. Xx

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bennybear said:

Good day and thanks all.  @Quartzsite Cruisera very happy anniversary Lenda and Steve. @RMLincolnhappy 70 th birthday. Congratulations on the new grandchild

@ger_77 glad you got things checked out for DH.  lol on the ice cream 

A  lovely weekend camping. Very hot today 32. @cat shepardthats a  nice wine. 
we had a lovely French rose last night. 

Quite  the weekend with a country concert last evening.  

IMG_2049.jpeg

IMG_2064.jpeg

Thank you, Brenda.  I'm glad the weekend camping went well.

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

Thank you Lenda.

My internet will be off tomorrow.

Graham, thank you for the heads up about your internet.

19 minutes ago, DeeniEncinitas said:

🌺🌺🌺🌺

Aloha sweet sis❤️

🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺

Denise, safe travels back to the mainland next week.  Great pictures of Shawn and Annan.  I love this new painting.  It is so peaceful and relaxing.

56 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily.

Happy Labor Day! I'll acknowledge calendar adjustment day. I only like coconut milk; the meat is a no due to texture issues. We should all be able to live fearless. I have to think about the quote. I'll pass on the meal, yes to the drink and the wine. I haven't been to Port-Of-Spain. One devastating day and one good day.

It was only about 50F this AM. We're only going into the mid-70's today, with a low tonight in the 40's! We are getting cool Canadian air, according to the weather person. I don't know why things seem harder these days. Just stripping the bed and putting on fresh sheets was tiring. Then I gathered garbage and recycling to be placed outside later. My next door neighbor has a peach tree that drops rotting fruit in my yard. Some years ago, after I complained, they cut it down (rotten peaches fell in their yard too). But it grew back. The neighbor said she'd have her husband cut it back, but they didn't. So I was out with rubber gloves on picking up at least 20 pieces of fruit. Even though it is cooler out, I was in the sun, and dripping sweat. I put on insect repellent as there's been mosquitos with West Nile Virus in the area. Now I'm baking one of my sourdough loaves. Laundry will have to wait - I've already done too much labor on Labor Day..

@Quartzsite Cruiser Happy 57th Anniversary to you and Steve!

@RMLincoln Happy Birthday! And congrats to DGD Andrea and her DH on their new arrival!

@grapau27 Thank you for the link.

@StLouisCruisers Happy Birthday to Austin! Very nice photos from Port-of-Spain. 

@Mtn2Sea Interesting photos. Do you know why people were brought back to the ship by police? Was it not safe to walk around?

@cat shepard I'm glad you were impressed with first hand information about the retirement community. 

@smitty34877 I'm sorry the weekend has been tough and I hope you can get some rest when at least the aide is back.

@Denise T As I was reading about your dissertation I was thinking, it's like a child! Good luck with it. 

@Heartgrove I'm sure DSIL is happy to be home. 

@ottahand7 Prayers for your DB and I hope they can get him feeling better.

@Quartzsite Cruiser Great photos, thanks.

@ger_77 Good to hear that DH was cleared of heart issues.

@durangoscots When you say the Corgi was picked up, do you think stolen? He wasn't turned in to any animal shelter, I gather.

@aliaschief I know you're enjoying the family time.

@Cruising-along I hope DS and DBIL have mild cases; it's a shame it's spoiled their plans to visit friends in FL. Good news about Amber. 

@Seasick Sailor That's a very nice cabin.

@kazu I hope you're doing ok, with all you have to do.

Prayers for the Care List and a Toast to those Celebrating.

Vanessa, you accomplished a lot today.  Thank you for the anniversary wishes, and your nice comments about my pictures.

In 2006, when we walked around Port-of-Spain, we didn't go to far from the dock area.  We felt relatively safe, but stayed in the newer area, where we found the car rental company which we used on the return voyage from Manaus.

Lenda

• Like 17
  • Thanks 3

Hmm... my county's Department of Aging has announced a "drive-thru picnic" for people over age 60, later this month. It's at the fairgrounds, but all you do is drive up, take a packed meal (ordered in advance) and go home to eat. Is this a strange idea? Do other places do it?

Dinner here tonight is going to be pizza and salad, maybe with a glass of cardboardeaux Pinot Noir. I don't think I should have any more gin for a little while.

• Like 20

29 minutes ago, DeeniEncinitas said:

🌺🌺🌺🌺

Aloha sweet sis❤️

🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺

Beautiful picture!

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, seagarsmoker said:

Beautiful picture!

🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺Thank you so much to everyone!! It’s very humbling and so kind from all of you! I enjoyed my career as a dentist, but painting gives me my center, my inner peace and love!

Wishing you all a wonderful Labor Day and relaxation!

🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺

Sincerely 

Denise😌

• Like 21
  • Thanks 2

37 minutes ago, DeeniEncinitas said:

🌺🌺🌺🌺

Aloha sweet sis❤️

🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺

Excellent photos.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Thank you, Brenda.  I'm glad the weekend camping went well.

Graham, thank you for the heads up about your internet.

Denise, safe travels back to the mainland next week.  Great pictures of Shawn and Annan.  I love this new painting.  It is so peaceful and relaxing.

Vanessa, you accomplished a lot today.  Thank you for the anniversary wishes, and your nice comments about my pictures.

In 2006, when we walked around Port-of-Spain, we didn't go to far from the dock area.  We felt relatively safe, but stayed in the newer area, where we found the car rental company which we used on the return voyage from Manaus.

Lenda

Thank you Lenda.

We went out for dinner tonight.

Will miss you all tomorrow.

IMG_20240902_183027.jpg

IMG_20240902_184827.jpg

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, kochleffel said:

Hmm... my county's Department of Aging has announced a "drive-thru picnic" for people over age 60, later this month. It's at the fairgrounds, but all you do is drive up, take a packed meal (ordered in advance) and go home to eat. Is this a strange idea? Do other places do it?

During Covid times when restrictions were in place and restaurants closed to eat-in patrons, our area frequently offered drive-thru picnics. I don't recall seeing them anymore. Maybe they're coming back w/Covid numbers rising 🤔 🤷‍♀️

I think they're a good idea anytime  😊 

Edited by Haljo1935
Typo
  • Like 17
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

We were also in Port-of-Spain, Trinidad and Tobago, in 2015 on the same cruise as @StLouisCruisers Sandi.  We also did the same tour that day, but we went to the Botanic Gardens first and then the Monastery.  Sandi, thank you for your pictures from the bus.  Then windows on our bus were so heavily tinted that my pictures turned out blue.

We've been to Trinidad three more times.  We were there twice in 2006 on the old Regal Princess on b2bs roundtrip from Ft. Lauderdale to Manaus.  Our first time was in 1999 on Noordam III, so those pictures are pre-digital.  

The port area and it's approaches are very shallow with shifting sand, so there were many ships that had run aground in 1999.  The Noordam even ran aground for a short time, but managed to work herself free.  That was when we learned they need a diver to inspect the hull before she could sail from Trinidad.  That is the case whenever a ship runs aground.

In 2006, on our second visit, we rented a car and drove to the tar pits.  Known as Pitch Lake, the tar pits are the world's largest natural asphalt deposits.

Along the way to Pitch Lake we passed was a beautiful oceanside park with huge piles of firewood under several platforms.  Every Wednesday, families come there to cremate their dead.  On our way back, the cremations were underway.  Out of respect for the dead, we did not take any pictures, but it was an interesting introduction to one island custom.

The tar pits

IMG_0644.thumb.JPG.e47781c2645fc4754fb8f1f4040f7c8a.JPG

IMG_0645.thumb.JPG.91eca06a9e37a1f2b3faa5dd21d8ee6a.JPG

IMG_0647.thumb.JPG.c66c90a757ed0e02ab25e06bc00ea6d2.JPG

IMG_0648.thumb.JPG.0e748a8ddd70b2a602cff29513a4af82.JPG

A band greeting us in 2006

IMG_0102.thumb.JPG.1443edc4eba1c1729ebd16f65076ae54.JPG

Contrasting views of the port area.  The first pictures were taken from the ship in 2006 and the second ones in each set in 2015.

IMG_0104.thumb.JPG.5953b6702422371617f4c759b8a9e303.JPG

DSC02235.thumb.JPG.37c8b8d8c16ac1fe5e7f13280ccde216.JPG

IMG_0105.thumb.JPG.d9106d4bfa6acf26a5342019f0719410.JPG

DSC02234.thumb.JPG.589b8a39d32180fad4942a2f76aac902.JPG

More pictures of Port-of-Spain taken from the ship in 2006

IMG_0649.thumb.JPG.7f6dc117f99f42777b48d8cc700f0d86.JPG

IMG_0654.thumb.JPG.00cb93d57c28978a37eb04a2b485a706.JPG

IMG_0655.thumb.JPG.9bb2ccb55612b770d0edc253e2c27d68.JPG

The Botanic Gardens

DSC02220.thumb.JPG.49779ef666159b53b3200b04346382c7.JPG

DSC02221.thumb.jpg.cd02c59805142fe21cf83f91855d7ad9.jpg

DSC02222.thumb.JPG.732fd81e75987542b554e13244721c80.JPG

A few different views of the monastery

DSC02227.thumb.JPG.d543c777042614b12358e0f76261ad38.JPG

DSC02228.thumb.JPG.c570e4e641d62b29983a1b6deb4e5c74.JPG

DSC02229.thumb.JPG.2c2934335c0f4998b50e1749951a74be.JPG

Now it's time to finish reading the Daily, so I'll be back in a while.

Lenda

Lovely photos Lenda.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Well, one loaf of bread is baked. And I just had a crown come off a tooth, sigh. So I'll be calling the dentist tomorrow.

ETA: Just heard terrible news on the tv about a local grandmother who killed her 3 yo grandchild. Apparently she punched the child who fell backwards and hit her head on a coffee table. She put the child to bed and she was found dead a couple of days later. No words. 

@DeeniEncinitas Safe travels back to the mainland. Nice photo of Shawn and Ariana. Beautiful painting, so restful.

@grapau27 Great looking dinner.

Edited by JazzyV
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 10

1 minute ago, JazzyV said:

Well, one loaf of bread is baked. And I just had a crown come off a tooth, sigh. So I'll be calling the dentist tomorrow.

@DeeniEncinitas Safe travels back to the mainland. Nice photo of Shawn and Ariana. Beautiful painting, so restful.

@grapau27 Great looking dinner.

🌺🌺🌺🌺 

Thank you!! Annan is who Shawn is with. Ariana Maddox was in the play!!

Happy you liked my painting too!

• Like 13

Took advantage of PTO today and did some work on our upcoming AK  cruise, which Navigator tells me is 25 days away.

Upgraded seats on the outbound flight - need best odds of sleeping 😴 after leaving the house at 3:45am 🥴. Changed return ✈️ so we now leave at 11:25am instead of 6:10pm, which means another stop in Seattle w/o touring the city, and accepted a seat upgrade 🤞we get upgraded to 1st class like we did last time for DHs b-day; maybe the Universe will be equally generous this time for our anniversary. 

Download menus for the places DH wants to eat at in Juneau and Ketchikan so he can study (and drool) over the next couple weeks.

Confirmed airport shuttle and fur baby sitter 🐕 🐕 🐈 

Put kidney stone meds in suitcase 🧳 (only thing I've packed) along w/hopes they're not needed.

It's getting real 🎉

Told DH I may not be able to walk, lift my suitcase or pee, but I'm getting on that ship!!

Screenshot_20240902_150135_Navigator.thumb.jpg.80da4fe28baa5cd67390a1f1d7a2ab32.jpg

• Like 22

48 minutes ago, Haljo1935 said:

During Covid times when restrictions were in place and restaurants closed to eat-in patrons, our area frequently offered drive-thru picnics. I don't recall seeing them anymore. Maybe they're coming back w/Covid numbers rising 🤔 🤷‍♀️

I think they're a good idea anytime  😊 

I wondered about that. In the fall of 2020, the synagogue here tried holding services in the parking lot, using a low-power FM transmitter for audio and instructing people to flash the lights, not blow the horn, for "Amen."

It didn't work exactly as planned. A large majority couldn't figure out how to to tune their radios--the FM signal was too weak for the "seek" function to detect it, and some didn't even know that their radios could be tuned. They had just used the presets entered by the dealer, even if they didn't like those stations. A masked volunteer had to go from car to car tuning each radio manually.

And a group of frail elderly people all got together in one car. Nothing bad happened from it; probably they had all isolated carefully until then. It seems to me that a drive-thru picnic addresses the wrong goal (food), not social life.

The synagogue, BTW, did not hold even one in-person function until 2021, when proof of vaccination and temperature checks were required every time one entered the building. And no large indoor events were allowed without special permission of the board until the fall of 2022, a very long time after every church and other organization had returned to business as usual.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 4