The Fleet Report and Daily for Saturday September 7th, 2024

Good Saturday Morning Dailyites!  It will be sunny later, rain last night was so light, even though lengthy we couldn't hear it, only saw that the road was wet.  Now the computer says High Winds today.  Odd, the weather person didn't say anything about wind.  Just that a teeny tiny cold front was coming in.

We actually accomplished an outing yesterday. !  Got DH up, and out by 10:30, we stopped at the vets to leave off a sample of Quiffy poo, got his meds at the pharmacy (along with a blueberry muffin and a bottled starbucks) got to the college, parked the car, ate the muffin, and then went into the concert.  It opened with Mozart's quartet for piano and strings.  DH loves Mozart.  We decided that instead of crawling over a bunch of people to get seats downstairs, we went up to the balcony.  Then because he wanted to watch the pianist's hands, we climbed up to back of the balcony stairs, crept along the back wall, then down the stairs to the left side, and sat in the "box" seats.  After a short intermission, we enjoyed ( I absolutely loved) Tchaikovsky's sextet of Souvenirs of Florence.  The acoustics at the Schwartz center are fabulous, regardless of where you sit, but where we sat, I think was the perfect place for chamber music.

It took forever to get ut of the parking lot, and DH was getting a bit fidgety, but we finally got out, drove to our favorite Greek restaurant, and ordered our individual pizzas, mine veggie, his AThens special, and the prices had gone from 7.75 each to 9.75.  We ate there 2 weeks ago. OMG!  Lunch (and we got a spaghetti casserole for dinner and one dessert to go) was 66 bucks.

I had packed up DH's  meds, because he really cant go more than 5 hours without being in pain.  I did make him walk a bit more than 200 feet, but by the time we got home he was wiped out, and fuzzy.  I went to work at 5 and worked until 8, and then we went out for ice cream.  

DH and I have been together for 24 years, and all of a sudden he is watching football.  He has never watched football.  And not only does he root for the wrong teams, it keeps me from going to bed before 11.  The upside was I got to finish reading the Daily from yesterday.

Upcoming next week is back on MOnday to his immunotherapy.  I am still not sure that it is the cause of his edema.  That was helped with steroids, but seems to be coming back.  So it was not the therapy or one of the meds they took him off of. We will find out how the cancer is doing, whether it is getting closer to the brain, or receding.Or moving in another direction. And we will go out for lunch for our anniversary.  He can eat within the first two hours after the therapy, after about 3 hours, he loses his appetite.  

Quiffy is getting spayed on Wednesday, we are meeting up with our traveling buddies on Friday  and taking them out for a concert (they show the film of the Princess Bride, and the ASO performs the soundtrack live) for the gentlemans birthday, and then on Saturday we are going back to Emory for another free piano concert.  DH will get a lot of extra exercise this week.

Lots of plans, and work.  I hope everyone has a great weekend!

Edited by marshhawk
  • Like 25

Good morning from a clear but windy central Texas.  It is a cool 68F with a 7mph wind from the north.  The humidity is 86% with a dew point of 63F.  In spite of our chilly (at least to Texans) start, we should reach a high of 86F this afternoon.  The overnight lows are predicted to be 60F, which is a huge change from just a week or two ago.

Yesterday was a long day, but basically DH got a good report from the ENT.  She wants him to have some physical therapy to strengthen his muscles and help with balance.  The good news is he can have the PT here.  He'll have a follow up telemed visit in late October; so that's one less trip to Dallas.  The appointment took about 2 hours, and we were caught in the beginning of rush hour traffic.  To top it off, there was a heavy rain shower just as we were getting on I-35E, but we were out of the rain relatively quickly.

Today there is a big football game between the Texas Longhorns 🤘 and Michigan M.  You know we'll be rooting for the Longhorns, but I know many will be rooting for the other team.  All I'll say, is it should be an interesting game.

Grandma Moses painted some amazing pictures.  Even with the grumbling about having to drive to Dallas, DH is a grateful patient for the care he is getting.  Clean air with the bonus of blue skies is always desirable.

The quote is a bit too involved to really like it, especially this early in the morning.

There will be no chickpea salad sandwiches in this house; actually no chickpeas of any kind.  DH enjoyed Lemon Drops on our last Koningsdam cruise.  The Chianti sound nice.

We have been fortunate to visit Souda and Chania on Prinsendam and Veendam.

Hooray for Pedro I declaring Brazil's independence in 1822.

@Crazy For Cats  Welcome home, Jake and Juan.

@dfish  Welcome back, Debbie and Sue.  I hope you have a safe trip home today.

@Sharon in AZ  Sharon, welcome back, and I hope your travel home goes smoothly, safely and on time.

@StLouisCruisers  Sandi, thanks for the other days to celebrate, especially buy a book day, bacon day, and hummingbird day.

@smitty34877  Terry, I'm glad you are having help this weekend.  I'm sorry your left hip has become painful.  I hope the doctors can help without resorting to surgery.

@marshhawk  Annie, I'm glad you made it to the concert, and enjoyed it.  I hope Chuck @catmando can have his immunotherapy Monday.

355701366_674036894596837_3807351435007218913_n.jpg.d92f9952d36a262e017a758a5e2ce6b9.jpg

457399655_122165707526151710_4532453771008787967_n.jpg.85beab671dd4db9f6fd26f9bf57ec66a.jpg

457440785_122159619956247919_797827002666485018_n.jpg.dba936699a4a83df8808fe952e4cd53a.jpg

457443041_122181986228167703_6932017425919635648_n.jpg.8aa6d701f4ee64b64086b32e3de9b453.jpg

457506923_122136490250306225_5302006885902102542_n.jpg.4ffcaf27c3c49b1a44cc22d27fb2f9c3.jpg

458470554_10159688270316431_2314913770329446692_n.jpg.66f7cbbf5c5def143c13c6422a99d033.jpg

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 14

Good morning everyone, another beautiful late summer day in store for us today.  Thanks for the daily report, recipes and lists.  It’s always a treat to visit this friendly corner of the internet each day.  Three nice days to recognize today.  Clear blue skies are always welcome.

The quote is making me think a little too hard this morning.

I’ll pass on the meal suggestion but may I have an extra drink instead?

I have not been to today’s port.

Prayers for those on our prayer list.  Cheers to those who are celebrating happy events today!  Bon voyage to @luvteaching 🍾

• Like 22

We have been to Souda and Chania twice.  The first time was in 2017 on Prinsendam, and the second time was in 2019 on Veendam.  Both times, we took the shuttle from Souda to Chania and walked around town.  Except for the bus ride, we did not see much of Souda.  The shuttle dropped us off by a park across from the Old Chania Market.  From there we walked around the area and the Old Venetian Port of Chania.

The area where the shuttle dropped us off, and it's the beginning for the modern part of Chania.  

DSC02140.thumb.JPG.3359bc5d39f696a3e01cf3aeb09e17c2.JPG

Pictures from the Old Chania Market.

DSC07776.thumb.JPG.57f74a656b281b398eba7b3028b7e843.JPG

DSC02137.thumb.JPG.86e4070fcb102b1d6a84e4c80c975a97.JPG

DSC02139.thumb.JPG.ca0e1879896d5b631fefa7d2cd3c681a.JPG

Walking through Old Chania

DSC07806.thumb.JPG.b8baddf8f235e9477cf1704148f8e454.JPG

DSC02136.thumb.JPG.6000a7a3ae5830853f763cc54518a686.JPG

A nice plaza with shops, restaurants and shade

DSC07782.thumb.JPG.c6b908d8f9499f50b44817ff48bc9d8f.JPG

The Presentation of the Virgin Mary Metropolitan Church in the back ground

DSC07781.thumb.JPG.d682060187b7e8e53526b78790ecbcf9.JPG

The Church

DSC07785.thumb.JPG.5258c99d8b31a3e0a011f6eae479f58b.JPG

DSC07784.thumb.JPG.6f06c8ba025b9bee742a6b01009f0a7f.JPG

The sea entrance to the Old Venetian Port.  The Lighthouse of Chania is on the right and the Firka Venetian Fortress is on the left.

DSC07802.thumb.JPG.7f73b662af37eae0217f769d65b18398.JPG

Looking across the harbor

DSC02122.thumb.JPG.8ca9054b10f89e3b934f832d4235d6cb.JPG

DSC07789.thumb.JPG.dd9966b1a10895fb415f06d5cc08bcae.JPG

Looking toward the Kyuchuk Hassan Mosque, which is now a museum.

DSC02131.thumb.JPG.1160c2d5152d32fd8f97ceffc50315bb.JPG

The mosque and a couple of the exhibits.  The first one was from 2017 and the second was from 2019.

DSC07793.thumb.JPG.ba621e0eefe4ff8f470317559e1c833a.JPG

DSC02114.thumb.JPG.d4d483b2c47ce6e3fd37e489b7e90090.JPG

DSC07794.thumb.JPG.2b60314a5e8ad2ea1c523db38a407946.JPG

Past the mosque and around the corner are several restaurants and the small boat harbor.

DSC02110.thumb.JPG.1a8887e22d99e7de7b6d1fe66ad70b46.JPG

DSC02115.JPG

DSC07803.JPG

Chania is a lovely place to spend several hours relaxing, shopping, sightseeing and people watching.  We enjoyed our visits there.

Lenda

• Like 22
  • Thanks 10

2 hours ago, summer slope said:

Lemon Drop cocktail:

The Lemon Drop first squeezed to life in San Francisco sometime during the 1970s. Its inventor, Norman Jay Hobday, an out-of-work Vietnam vet turned saloon owner, is also credited with opening the country’s first fern bar, a concept that mixed house plants and Tiffany lamps with throngs of upwardly mobile urbanites.
Both were an instant hit. And for two-plus decades, the Lemon Drop dominated cocktail menus from North Beach to Bangkok, hooking a generation of bar patrons on its boozy-tart-sweet mélange of vodka, citrus and sugar. In 2006, Oprah famously served one to Rachael Ray on her show, which is like the ultimate nod of widespread acceptance and further solidified the drink’s place in popular culture.
Ingredients
2 ounces vodka
1/2 ounce triple sec
1 ounce lemon juice, freshly squeezed
1 ounce simple syrup
Garnish: sugar rim
Directions:
Coat the rim of a cocktail glass with sugar and set aside (do this a few minutes ahead so the sugar can dry and adhere well to the glass).

Add the vodka, triple sec, lemon juice and simple syrup to a shaker with ice and shake until well-chilled.

Strain into the prepared glass.

Screenshot 2024-09-07 at 6.15.12 AM.png

Nothing funny today. This is my favorite drink!!! But one time on Celebrity they made this drink with a lime and it was terrible.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

Good morning, all. Well, only a few more days of HOT and then we’ll start to cool down. PTL for AC! 🙌

On my Alaska cruise I mentioned I had won twice at bingo. One was a cruise! 7-nights, inside cabin, Mexican Riviera or Caribbean, never expires. I can upgrade to a larger cabin or longer cruise (for a price of course). I wanted a 10-day MR and my TA found one: Nieuw Amsterdam departing Nov 29, 2025. My sis from FL will be joining me. We’re so excited! 

Thank you for the HAL fleet report and all the daily information. Thank you all for caring and sharing. 🥰 Prayers for everyone who needs them.  Cheers for all the celebrations.

IMG_3599.thumb.jpeg.724d191d74028765151861e717ae1bc3.jpeg

• Like 25

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  Grandma Moses certainly made her mark on the art world, everyone should be grateful patients when they're getting the medical attention they need, and yes to the blue skies.  The quote - wow, he likes half of the people a little bit and the other half he doesn't.  Is that right?  A little early for something to complex!

It's getting darker in the morning when I get up - I've had to turn on the kitchen light when making my morning tea, so I guess the "f" word really is coming.  We're sitting at 10C(50) right now but the breeze coming in the window feels cooler than that.  Our expected high for the next 3 days is 32(89) which might be summer's last hurrah, we'll see.  I don't want to put away my capris and sandals just yet!

@luvteachingBon Voyage; I hope you and your friends have a wonderful cruise!

@smitty34877I'm sorry to hear you're having so much hip pain; I do hope the doctors will be able to provide some relief for you.  Glad you'll have help over the weekend.

Hearing about all the horrible shootings happening in US schools sometimes makes us feel smug, thinking we're happy we don't live there.  Well, on Thursday at a local high school, a 14 year old girl threw gasoline in a 15 year old girl's face and lit her on fire.  A teacher was not far away and came to her aid, sustaining severe burns trying to put the flames out.  Although we have a burn unit at Royal University Hospital, the 15 year old's injuries were so severe she had to be air lifted to Edmonton for treatment.  The 14 year old is being charged with attempted murder, arson, and several other charges.  *shudder*

Not a lot on our agenda today, so I think I'll take the time to make some winter liners for the curtains in our bedroom.  The room sits above the unheated garage, so gets fairly chilly in the winter, and I thought the addition of thermal liners on the curtains might help keep the heat in and cold out.  Might as well make them now, rather than when we need them.  DH is working on a bird house for our friends with a lake cottage - I took photos of their old cottage and he's used that as a model for the bird house.  It's coming along quite nicely; when it's finished, I'll post a photo here, as it's really neat with many unexpected touches.

I'd like the drink of the day, will gladly drink the wine, but will pass on the chickpea sandwich.  The only time we have chickpeas in the house is when our friend makes hummus and brings it over.  LOL  Last night our neighbour came over with 3 huge red tomatoes so we're going to have toasted tomato and bacon sandwiches for dinner on the deck tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who is in need, cheers to all with celebrations.

Smooth Sailing!  ☺️☺️☺️

Gerry

• Like 25
  • Thanks 3

Today's Forecast Saturday Sept 7, 2024

Advisories: continued heat advisories in the eastern half of the state. Red flag warnings are up for the Olympic and Cascade Mountains because of high fire danger.  Stagnant air alerts in the valleys north of Vancouver, WA.

Metro/I-5 Corridor

Seattle/Puget Sound  83/28 Sunny

Puyallup (State Fair)  85/29 Mostly Sunny

Olympia  85/29 Partly Cloudy

Portland  87/31 Cloudy

Bellingham/Canadian Border Crossing  78/26 Mostly Sunny

Cascade Mountains/Passes 

Mt. Rainier national park  70/21 Partly Cloudy

Mt. St. Helens (visitor center)  81/27 Cloudy

Snoqualmie Pass (I-90)  84/29 Sunny

North Cascades Scenic Hwy (route 20)  84/29 Sunny

Eastern Washington/High Deserts 

Moses Lake  98/37 Mostly Sunny

Wenatchee  95/35 Mostly Sunny

Spokane  95/35 Sunny

Walla Walla  96/36 Sunny

Yakima  95/35  Partly Cloudy

Grand Coulee  94/34 Sunny

Coast/Olympic Peninsula/101

Forks  80/27 Mostly Sunny

Hoh Rain Forest  82/28 Mostly Sunny

Cape Disappointment  63/17 Cloudy (dense fog advisory)

Aberdeen 78/26 Mostly Cloudy

Strait of Juan De Fuca/Islands

Sequim  76/24 Mostly Sunny

Victoria  78/26 Mostly Sunny

Enjoy your cruises!

• Like 14
  • Thanks 3

Good Morning,

It turned out there was a mix-up at the doctor, that yesterday's appointment was pre-test, which was fine since the exam/discussion yielded good results.  So the ultrasound and follow up to that is mid-Oct.  

They discovered the beehive at DM's was more dangerous than they thought. They were "paper wasps" otherwise known as yellow jackets and the size of the nest was estimated to be as big as a basketball, but they are no more and the exterminator was able to eradicate them with poison.  At my urging, DM will be going back to monthly maintenance because this was a good example of what could happen should this have continued to go unobserved, these insects can apparently eat right through the drywall.  

I'm thinking about paying off my car lease early and purchasing something else, without DD I don't have need for this giant SUV, so I'm thinking about what I'd like to downsize to and I'll visit the Toyota dealership sometime this fall when I bring the car in for an oil change and have the tire pressure checked before the cooler weather sets in.

This is the real life stuff all of you on lengthy cruises are missing: car buying, bee hives, and doctor appointments.  So I'd rather be on a ship when running out of peanut butter pie would be the biggest crisis I can think of.  

• Like 28
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, 

Thank you everyone for the Bon Voyage wishes. My friends are beyond excited and are chomping at the bit to leave their house for the drive to Seattle. It's only an hour for them and they don't want to be late! 

Yesterday I got DD DH's ashes in the bio-degradable container, did some errands, did banking, and went to the pool. I'm all packed now except for the cookies for the parking lot folks. To them I'm known as "The Cookie Lady". 

I'll check in when I can this week. So far the only day, weather wise, that doesn't look good is Ketchikan but is that surprising? 

Karen

• Like 28
  • Thanks 1

Good morning all,

Today is our 1 week anniversary of disembarkation.😫 We’re unpacked, the house is clean again and I’m missing our Room Stewards and can’t find the chef. 

Locally we made it to 109 yesterday and there was apparently a minor fire (saw the wispy dark smoke scattering) from the ridge north of us that got taken care of quickly. Today we’re going for 110. There are areas in the LA basin that are expected to be worse.

Have a great day everyone!

IMG_6199.jpeg

Edited by TiogaCruiser
  • Like 25
  • Thanks 1

I have a good recipe for a chickpea-based vegan imitation tuna salad. Mashed chickpeas replace the tuna; all the other ingredients are the same, but you add some crumbled or flaked seaweed to give it a fish character. I would pass on the cocktail but at least it doesn't claim to be a martini, despite the glass it's served in. Chianti again? Still no Sangiovese here. Instead, let's try the 2021 Blaufränkisch from Dr. Frank's, $24.99. "Leading with fresh plums and red berries with vivid violet scents, the wine evolves from its bright and fruity core to a spicy richness on the palate. Juicy and tense, the red fruits mend with a touch of earthiness and cedar oak. Pair with Smoked Sausage, Spaetzle, Tomato-based sauces, Hard Cheeses, Lighter Meats like Veal, Pork, and Lamb."

I haven't been to Crete but one of the recurring characters in my Greek lessons had a sister who lived there.

Text message this morning from CVS, not about my appointment for a covid vaccination, but saying that I "might be due" for a Senior Flu vaccination. Well, I certainly don't want to catch Senior Flu (I thought that was the ailment that caused high-school seniors to skip the last few days of classes), but I also don't want two jabs on the same day.

Mona Lisa is unhappy about something but I don't know what.

NeilArmstrongsdog.jpg.c2258e8f14a6eaac4191bd24b642b85c.jpg

• Like 17
  • Haha 12

Good morning, Dailyites, and thanks for all the news!  Bon voyage @luvteaching.  Hope you have good weather all the way!  We are having a heat wave here, and smoke from the US, evidently, so the house is closed up and the air-conditioning on again.  Strange for September.

Pat's appointment yesterday left me a bit bewildered.  It was just a phone appointment, and seemed, like some of mine, very impersonal.  It was mainly a quiz on his mental and physical abilities.  "Do you drive?"  "Do you use a stick or a walker?"  etc., and a number of times he said "as you are almost 90"!  And what should they do if things go wrong...  Sheesh, Pat's not almost 90, he's only just 88!  Hopefully, Pat said the right things, and now he "will be discussed at rounds".  So we continue to wait.  I keep thinking, if they don't want to do it, we'll just go to the States and get it done!

This morning when I went out to get the papers, our male hummingbird came down and looked me in the face - he often does that if I'm sitting outside, just hovers about 6 inches from my nose.  My birder cousin always said they have facial recognition, so I guess they want to check that i'm who I'm supposed to be - talk about a guard bird!

We have been to Chania, my pictures are like the others, so I'll just post some pictures from the market.  I bought a chunk of pumice/lava there for DS, the rock collector.

IMG_6220.thumb.JPG.c58ade52822c4ae2969cc343eefc8b9a.JPG

IMG_6219.thumb.JPG.b041f3727157e5b9b3cbe7e38c3b7cf2.JPG

IMG_6221.thumb.JPG.e93e6a04e4641e3236a7c55eb3ebdc96.JPG

IMG_6222.thumb.JPG.9980625a1e577945ba561944fbeb7e80.JPG

IMG_6218.thumb.JPG.41d2cfd3979dca517ae682202f4ee134.JPG

IMG_6224.thumb.JPG.f8a9a6914f8cc15b994a5d444283f855.JPG

IMG_6225.thumb.JPG.6b48768da21dd2fc38d548cbc8764366.JPG

• Like 25
  • Thanks 6

Good morning all!

We're all up now, the boys are playing with the multitude of Lego cars DH has made for them.  DD and DSIL left before 7 this morning for the drive to Mt. Vernon where they will start the 60-mile MS Bike Ride.  I'm enjoying hearing about the boys' first week of school.  

It's going to be another sunny day in the low 80's.  Temps will slowly decrease down to the 60's and rain next week.  Fall is coming quickly.

We've been to Chania, but I must not have taken photos of the town.  We walked to the market and got flowers for the cabin.  I did take a photo of the flowers 😉  

Have a great day everyone!

vase3.jpg.e53b5e517ecc115625af3e5b6c268f5d.jpg

• Like 28

Aloha! It’s moving day and it’s always a long day. Get to the timeshare and store bags. Then it”# off  for groceries and supplies. Usually around 4 PM our two bedroom Villa is ready to move in. Another bag drag, unpack get settled and start enjoying. Of course four year old granddaughter will want to go swimming. She swims pretty good and has been taking lessons for a year.

Coffee and lite breakfast time. Ride to airport at 8:00 AM. 
Enjoy your weekend and Mahalo for the reports and post.B.

image.thumb.jpeg.47abb09d52b81ec940fde92af36197a1.jpegimage.jpeg.4b2b9f11be80fef2afefd04d47cd94b1.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.692538f7741df35a4945bbc1cda36513.jpeg

• Like 19
  • Haha 11

Good morning! We are chilly today, 12c (60f) and not getting much warmer. But summer isn’t done with us yet as the week will warm up. Rumour has it our September will be warmer than normal.

since I wasn’t cleaning today or doing laundry (my company left oh Tuesday so cleaning and laundry got done Tuesday and Wednesday) I decided to clean my windows instead. Luckily I can clean them all from inside, no ladders needed, but it is still a big job even on a small house! About to make a cup of tea and put my feet up. Might watch another episode of Shetland. I splurged and bought a subscription to Brit box yesterday and of course it has all my favourite shows. I really should watch them on the treadmill and not in my recliner, but that won’t happen today as I am too tired.

prayers for those that need them and a shout out to those celebrating or travelling. @dfishsafe journey home.

• Like 24

I also couldn't make sense of the quote, and being the weekend I wasn't willing to work at figuring it out! I'll trust the people who liked it and assume it's a good one 😉

Lemon Drops are great - had my first one on a BHB several years ago, and have ordered them several times since. I never would have guessed they didn't exist before the 1970's so thank you for that information. I'll pass on the dinner and today's wine, but look forward to visiting Greece some day. 

Down here it's still hot & humid, so DH & I did a walk early this morning. After showers we ran some errands and now it's a lazy day. There's a home game (UF - Gators football) and while I could care less he may watch it. It's best to avoid the traffic that can happen on game days, so I'll probably work on a jigsaw puzzle.

Like @atexsix said, being on a cruise, even if dealing with a shortage of peanut butter pie, is more fun than doing real life stuff! It's still 76 days until my next one. Hope @luvteaching has a great time!

Sue/WDW1972

• Like 22