StLouisCruisers

Today is Car Free Day, Chainmail Day, and Dear Diary Day

So many books, so little time.--Frank Zappa

Meal Suggestion for today - Grilled Chicken Sandwich
Drink of the Day - Bobby Burns
Wine of the Day - Bogle Chardonnay
Destination of the Day - Cascade, Norfolk Island, Australia

Today in History:
1692 Last people hanged for witchcraft (8) in the US, 19 hanged overall, with six other deaths during Salem Witch Trials
1920 Chicago grand jury convenes to investigate charges that 8 White Sox players conspired to fix the 1919 World Series

Ship Locations

Eurodam --- 7 days, round-trip Olivia Majestic Alaska Cruise

At Sea Destination Juneau, Alaska eta 09-23

Koningsdam --- 7 days, round-trip Alaska Inside Passage

At Sea Destination Tracy Arm/Endicott Arm/Juneau, AK eta 09-23

Nieuw Amsterdam --- 7 days, round-trip Alaska Inside Passage

Vancouver, BC, Canada   0700-1600

Nieuw Statendam --- 14 days, one-way from Civitavecchia-Rome to Piraeus-Athens

At Sea Destination Katakolon (Olympia), Greece eta 09-23

Noordam --- 14 days, round-trip Great Alaska Explorer

At Sea Destination Glacier Bay, Alaska eta 09-23

Oosterdam --- 10 days, one-way from Barcelona to Piraeus-Athens

Civitavecchia-Rome, Italy   0700-1700

Rotterdam --- 7 days, round-trip Norse Legends

At Sea Destination Eidfjord, Norway eta 09-23

Volendam --- 10 days, one-way from Montreal to Boston

Quebec City, Quebec, Canada   0700-1600

Zaandam --- 7 days, round-trip Alaska Inside Passage

Tracy Arm/Endicott Arm, Alaska   0800-1400

Zuiderdam --- 7 days, one-way from Boston to Quebec City

Rockland, Maine   0700-1400

Eastern Hemisphere

Westerdam --- 53 days, round-trip Majestic Japan

At Sea
Kobe / Osaka, Japan

1530-ovn

image.thumb.png.377c3d2021ce378a41b0165e75dccabb.png

image.thumb.png.e33ec94a4223a8ebf84f3dda1ad88125.png

Edited by StLouisCruisers
Rich's explanation
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 26

Good morning friends!  The weather here is warmer than yesterday at 70F.  Today will reach 92 with sunshine all day long.     

Thank you Rich @richwmn for the Fleet Report and Daily content.  The photos of Mt. Fuji you and Joy @Seasick Sailor posted are terrific.  Today we celebrate Car Free Day, Chainmail Day, and Dear Diary Day.  It’s also the first day of Fall but it sure feels like summer here.  For those interested it’s also Ice Cream Cone Day, 🍦 Hobbit Day and Elephant Appreciation Day.  I can go car free and just stay home and do that a lot during the week.  No need for chainmail anymore but it was a good defense back in medieval days.  An excellent quote!  I would love a grilled chicken sandwich and would try the Chardonnay but have no interest in the cocktail.  I hate to read of the days of witch trials, and shake my head at the White Sox players trying to fix the World Series of 1919.  Thank you again Debbie @dfish, Dixie @summer slope and Ann @cat shepard for your food and beverage reports.

Prayers for Roy, Chuck and Annie, Tana and Terry, Vanessa, Ann and Pat, Nancy’s DB Nick, Melisa and her DH, Jacqui, Elizabeth, Dixie, Debbie and Carol and Sam.  Roy @rafinmd, I’m so sorry to hear of the AFIB diagnosis but they have treatments for that and I’m sure they will do their best to help you live with it.  Jacqui @kazu, extra thoughts and prayers to you as you deal with all the problems in your life right now. 🙏 Also praying for DB, the people in Israel and Ukraine, the poor hostages still being held all this time, and our wonderful military members helping out overseas.  🙏 Cheers to everyone celebrating special events in their lives, cruising and preparing to cruise. 🎂🚢🥂 Vanessa @JazzyV, thank you for keeping up with the lists while still dealing with your leg swelling.  Prayers that is solved soon!🙏

The port of the day is Cascade (Norfolk Island), Australia.  Unfortunately I haven’t been there before so no pics.  Here’s the link to the first and only time it was listed here. Sept. 10, 2021.

Have a superb Sunday, and try to stay safe and keep well. ♥️

• Like 30
  • Thanks 7

Today’s Care List:

StLouisCruisers with a health issue, upcoming biopsy

JazzyV battling leg swelling and pain

Rafinmd (Roy) transferred to acute care for fast heart rate, brief afib

Kazu with items missing from move, vision problems and leg pain

Hoping Lindaler  is ok

Heat, Fires and Storms across the US. Those in the path of Francine.

Citizens of Ukraine, Israel and Gaza, hostages still held

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

From the Rotation:

Tana with chronic pulmonary issues, weakness, poor appetite

Vict0riann’s DH Pat needing heart valve surgery

Summer slope with slight tear in meniscus, with pain

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Welcome Home St Pete Cruiser!

Seasick Sailor’s DSis Bonnie w/breast cancer, lymph nodes neg 2nd surgery

Kazu moved into new home; house sold

Aliaschief and family in Hawaii

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

6 days for TAW1963 (Eurodam Sept 28 to Oct 5 ) 7d Alaska Explorer

6 days for Haljo1935 (Eurodam Sept 28 to Oct 5) 7d Alaska Explorer – celebrating 35th anniversary

7 days for Doobieb (Oosterdam Sept 29 to Oct 10) 11d Venetian & Dalmation Delight

Lindaler (Westerdam to Oct 24) 53d Majestic Japan, Richwmn (Westerdam to Oct 24) 53d Majestic Japan, Seasick Sailor (Westerdam to Oct 24) 53d Majestic Japan – celebrating her birthday and their 33rd wedding anniversary, USN59-79 (Westerdam to Oct 24) 53d Majestic Japan and Gail & Marty sailing away (Rotterdam to Oct 27) 

• Like 17
  • Thanks 23

Good morning.  Happy Sunday.  Thanks for the Report.

Yes, it's the first day of autumn, but we're still enjoying summery temperatures here for a little while.  Thank you Mother Nature.

I'll be car free today, I've no place to go.  I'm happy to stay home today.   No chainmail for me, hopefully I'll never need it.  I don't have a diary, my mom tried to get me to write one but I didn't stick with it.  Mom keeps a diary and refers to old ones often.  Maybe I should try again.

I like the quote.

The meal sounds good, I'll pass on the drink but I'm sure I'll like the wine.

Prayers for everyone on the Care List.  Cheers for all the celebrations.

Have a peaceful day.

• Like 29
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for the Reports!!

I celebrated Car Free day yesterday.  I did all my errands by foot or on the electric mini scooter!  So I'll remember Chainmail and Diaries today!!

Amen to Zappa!!

The food and beverages look wonderful!

I'm celebrating my youngest's birthday...  so... 36 years ago, today, I can remember most all of its minutes!!!  From driving myself to the hospital, to being induced, to them stopping the meds because of an emergency delivery by another woman in ER, to having my baby taken straight to NICU, and just seeing Polaroid photos for 4 hours till I was allowed to stand there in person!  But, my husband and mother were with me and I knew all would be fine!  God had blessed us!

River is a blessing and now we live together -- as I grow older!!!

• Like 32

Thank you for today’s FR&D, Sandi. Thank you for standing in for Rich. You have certainly taken great care of us!  

Yesterday was gorgeous. Not quite rain free, but our only shower happened before most people were awake. This morning looks very cloudy and it was showering when I woke up. Hope the day improves. 

Vanessa, thank you for keeping up with all of us. Praying your leg gets better and the pain & swelling go away. 

Gym, Aldi, Bindi walks, pulling my upcoming donation items together, and some chores. Should keep me busy. 

IMG_3463.jpeg.b0623e8be581cda45b5c729f05ed4311.jpeg

IMG_3465.jpeg.4c3b579ed31a150245cc10a4dedb25c1.jpeg

IMG_3444.jpeg.4b3a2af0b68c9a73ff3d9f3f778bd17a.jpeg

Praying for all who need our support. So many Dailyites & family dealing with serious medical issues. Tana, Terry, Melisa & DH, Chuck & Annie, Bonnie, Pat & Ann, Sandi & DB, Roy, Dixie, Jacqui, Nancy’s DB - Nick, Vanessa, Terri & Jim and all our caregivers. Praying that @lindaler  & @Nickelpenny are well. 

Cheers to all who are celebrating!

May we each find a reason to smile today!

Bogle Chardonnay 2022

I used the 2022 vintage info, since that should still be easy to find. It is certainly priced to try. Even just for cooking. Online prices start at $6.89.

Winemaker notes

Our Bogle Chardonnay is the epitome of a hand-crafted wine: with passion for both the art and science of making wine, our winemakers have created a Chardonnay using 50% barrel fermentation aged for 9 months in new American oak barrels. This wine is certified sustainable by the California Rules for Sustainable Winegrowing and proudly bears the symbol on the label.

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 23
  • Thanks 10
  • Haha 3

Good morning. We live in an urban neighborhood with very limited street parking. We have a driveway, thankfully, but car jockey moves are required to get in and out. I usually never try  to go  anywhere on Sunday except on foot. I often walk up to the grocery store just for the exercise. Dog walking can be very slow and sniffy!

DSIL stayed for the overnight and hopefully will get some sleep today. I got up twice but was eventually able to sleep a few hours. DD was going to help but she had a reaction to the COVID booster and was not feeling well. I get mine tomorrow so we shall see….

The teenager’s team won yesterday. They combined three high school for the team and that team played the other three combined high schools. He said it has been interesting playing on a team with other people not from your school. I would imagine the coaches have their work cut out for them!

Enjoy the day today everyone!

• Like 32
  • Thanks 1

Though not as renowned as drinks like the Manhattan, Sidecar or Martini, the Bobby Burns is a classic cocktail dating back to the early part of the 20th century. Similar to the Rusty Nail or Blood & Sand, it has the rare quality of being made with blended Scotch whisky rather than bourbon, rye or another spirit all together.

Like many storied cocktails, the origins of the Bobby Burns are fuzzy. The first available source for it dates to 1902’s bar book “Bishop & Babcock Company’s Fancy Drinks,” though in the book the recipe is referred to as the Baby Burns, and calls for one teaspoon each of vermouth and Benedictine, as well as a pony (generally considered one ounce) of scotch. Later, in texts like “Recipes for Mixed Drinks” in 1917 and 1930’s seminal “Savoy Cocktail Book” from Harry Craddock, the name was changed to the Bobby Burns; while there is always going to be some debate as to the meaning of the name, it’s likely an homage to the famed Robert Burns, widely considered the national poet of Scotland.

Ingredients
1 ounce blended scotch whisky (ideally a 12-year-old) 1 ounce sweet vermouth (such as Noilly Prat rouge) 1/2 ounce Benedictine Garnish: lemon peel
Steps
Add the scotch, vermouth and Benedictine to a mixing glass with ice and stir until well-chilled. Strain into a cocktail glass. Twist a lemon peel over the glass to release its oils and then drop it into the drink.

Screenshot 2024-09-22 at 7.11.41 AM.png

• Like 15
  • Thanks 17

Good morning, everyone!

It is a gray day today and we have been promised rain.  We really do need it as everything is quite dry here.  We haven't had any rain since before Sue and I went on our cruise.  Temperatures are supposed to be more seasonal now with today's high in the mid 70s.  Next week will be even cooler.  I like sweatshirt weather and I'm looking forward to that!  Today is a lazy day for us with just the gym and perhaps a stop at the grocery store.  

@smitty34877 Congratulation to the teenager on his win!  I hope DD feels better tonight so you can sleep.  Hugs to all of you!

@LambKnuckles Happy Birthday to River!

Hoping that @rafinmd Roy had a restful night and that today's prognosis is better.

@JazzyV Vanessa, I hope the swelling starts to subside.  If you have special compression socks I'm guessing that you have a chronic problem with swelling in the legs.  Do you know what causes it?

Today's meal sounds tasty and I'd have it without the bun.  This first one is interesting because the chicken breast is marinated in pickle juice.  If you don't like pickles that could be a problem.  Grilled Chicken Sandwich

grilledchickensandwich1.jpg.99a179e241135cfa7f762b37a9247f67.jpg

This one has a herby lemon garlic marinade.  Great suggestions for toppings, but really you can use the toppings you prefer.  Grilled Marinated Chicken Sandwiches

grilledchickensandwich2.thumb.jpg.599067da2dad82941e039813402d2765.jpg

This next one dry brines the chicken breasts first and then grills the chicken breasts and thick cut bacon on the grill.  Just before removing the chicken breast an avocado/jalapeño/cilantro mixture is brushed over the chicken.  Also, crushed potato chips are on the bun for texture.   Best Grilled Chicken Sandwich Ever

grilledchickensandwich3.thumb.jpg.9cbf69017770ff875bc6db0234d377f8.jpg

Wishing you all a wonderful day!

• Like 18
  • Thanks 16

Good afternoon and thank you for today's daily reports Sandi.

It is cloudy and 54°F here.

The only time I have a car free day is when I am on a cruise.

Today's food sounds good.

I have never been to today's port.

Prayers 🙏 for everyone on the care list.

I hope y'all have a happy and productive day.

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

Good Sunday morning everyone.  Thanks for the daily and maps Rich and Sandi.  I'll celebrate ice cream cone day, we had a favorite with custard when we were at our old beach home in Rehoboth, DE which was Kohr's. If you ever are at a MD or DE beach town try it.  A good quote.  I prefer my chicken sandwich deep fried, pass on the cocktail and Chardonnay.  Thanks for researching these for us each day ladies.  

Vanessa I pray your dwelling goes down soon.  Thanks for persevering with our cares and celebrations reports.  Prayers for Roy and Jacqui as you are going through struggles the last few days.    Continuing prayers for Tana and Terry, Terri and Jim, Chuck and Annie, Sandi, Sandi's DB, Melissa, Bonnie, and everyone else who are ailing or grieving.  Prayers for those in war zones through no fault of their own, Ukraine, the remaining hostages and the innocents in Gaza.   I may have missed something, isn't @lindaler on the long Japan cruise Rich is posting a Live From, is she MIA on board the ship or ill?  Prayers for her too. 

I am running to the grocery then visiting my DB before football starts.  John's Vikings have an early game and the Ravens have the nationally televised Game of the Week versus the Cowboys.   Ravens are stacked with talent, I hope they can pull it together today.  Have a wonderful Sunday! Nancy 

Edited by ottahand7
  • Like 23
  • Thanks 3

Happy Sunday. Thanks for the Daily and Fleet reports. 

What a beautiful wedding that my nephew and his bride shared. It was small and comfortable. Very laid back. It was an outdoor wedding at a little bed and breakfast called Wild Wisteria. The weather was perfect. The bride was beautiful. I lost it a couple of times. They set up a memorial table and front and center was a picture of my oldest sister, Josh's mom, in her wedding dress. I then teared up again when my nephew started crying the minute he saw Amanda Walk down the aisle. He held it together as he shared his vows. These two were so made for each other and their love is evident. We met her family for the first time, and they are such wonderful people. We are so honored to be a part of their family. I have to download pictures and hope to post a few. The day was full of us reuniting with family and just having a blast. It was great such a great day. Today my brother and sister-in-law are stopping by (they live in Pittsburgh) and we will be watching the Eagles game. I realize how much I need to slow down because I just miss being with family. 

I also realize how much I really need my cruise. 17 days!

Thinking of all on the care list. 

Celebrating with all who are celebrating. 

Have a safe and healthy day. 

Happy Sunday Funny Animal Images

• Like 32
  • Thanks 1