One more negative with back-to-backs...

With my back-to-back cruises coming up in a couple of months...and little left to do or plan for now, I was thinking a bit about the experience. After 45 prior cruises, this will be my first true back-to-back--same ship, same cabin. I usually book longer cruises in the summer--13-16 nights, butthey just weren't offering any that grabbed my attention...so this combo of alternating 7-nighters works.

So, while I was thinking about this, the following thought occurred to me:

I am going to have to suffer through not one but two MUSTER DRILLS! I hate muster drills. I usually joke that, after some large number of cruises, they should exempt you...but, of course, I understand the reasoning...

But, OTOH, for this situation, if I were on my usual 14 night cruise, I would only need to do one... Thesecond one here seems to insinuate that, after seven nights of cruising, maybe I'll forget where my muster station is...or how to put on a life vest (This is sort of like the chuckle I get when I board a plane and the flight attendant instructs me on how to put on a seat belt...like I haven't had one in my car since the1960s).

Wouldn't it be nice...and reasonable...if they could just waive the requirement for returning passengers on the second part of a back-to-back? Or do they? Again, I wouldn't know--first time I've done this...

Yes, I know it sounds a bit petty...but, seriously, I am not in a good mood today...I am wasting the day in the Jury Assembly Room on Jury Duty. And, before anyone tells me it's my civic duty and not "a waste of time", know that I've done this several times now and have never come close to being on a jury. I've been an attorney for almost 40 years...I know half the judges in this court house and many of the attorneys who might represent one side or another. I started my career as a prosecutor--and that gets me kicked off any criminal case by the defendant's attorney...and spent the bulk of my career representing major corporations, banks and a large insurer--and that gets me kicked off any civil case. So, here I sit in the Jury Room awaiting assignment to a court room so the judge can once again send me home...

Best thing I can do with my time here is dream about my upcoming cruises...and, thankfully, they have WiFi...

... Wouldn't it be nice...and reasonable...if they could just waive the requirement for returning passengers on the second part of a back-to-back? Or do they? Again, I wouldn't know--first time I've done this. ...

Muster drill is not waived for B2B guests, you have to do it again.

Since you compared to the airline safety instruction, it's essentially the same thing. If I book a flight that stops along the way before continuing to the final destination, the crew repeats the safety instructions for the passengers who just joined the flight, even if more than half the passengers heard it only an hour earlier. No one really likes the interruption of fun to attend a safety drill, but it honestly wouldn't bother me to have to do it twice during a 14-day cruise. And hey...maybe I would forget! These days, it's often difficult to remember where I parked my car when I come out of the grocery store! Also, some back-to-backers switch cabins, so they may have a different muster station.

Imagine how Mario feels.

The muster is worse on some ships than others, and on some ships it has good locations and not so good. I hate standing against the wall behind 5 or ship people pressing against me in Miami on the outside Promenade. I Still when I finally do my first B2B, I may do a 3/4 or 4/5 and enjoy myself.

Holy Crap! Jury assembly room and two muster drills.:eek::eek::eek:

Is the big guy getting you back for something?????? ;)

Don't be surprized your worst relative in on the same cruise as you....... both of them!!!

I hear bad things happen in threes.:D

Would be nice if they let you skip it for back to back, I remember just staying in cabin during them in 80's and 90's . Wish they could just speed them up a little, hate when captain makes non-essential comments during it

Since you compared to the airline safety instruction, it's essentially the same thing. If I book a flight that stops along the way before continuing to the final destination, the crew repeats the safety instructions for the passengers who just joined the flight, even if more than half the passengers heard it only an hour earlier.

Some Med cruises with multiple embarkation points, do allow for existing cruisers who attended their initial boarding muster drill to skip subsequent ones.

You sound like a person who is at their happiest when complaining about something of no importance. Since you have two such things to complain about today then you must be very happy indeed. Tomorrow I imagine will be less happy; maybe that gives you three things for today?

With my back-to-back cruises coming up in a couple of months...and little left to do or plan for now, I was thinking a bit about the experience. After 45 prior cruises, this will be my first true back-to-back--same ship, same cabin. I usually book longer cruises in the summer--13-16 nights, butthey just weren't offering any that grabbed my attention...so this combo of alternating 7-nighters works.

So, while I was thinking about this, the following thought occurred to me:

I am going to have to suffer through not one but two MUSTER DRILLS! I hate muster drills. I usually joke that, after some large number of cruises, they should exempt you...but, of course, I understand the reasoning...

But, OTOH, for this situation, if I were on my usual 14 night cruise, I would only need to do one... Thesecond one here seems to insinuate that, after seven nights of cruising, maybe I'll forget where my muster station is...or how to put on a life vest (This is sort of like the chuckle I get when I board a plane and the flight attendant instructs me on how to put on a seat belt...like I haven't had one in my car since the1960s).

Wouldn't it be nice...and reasonable...if they could just waive the requirement for returning passengers on the second part of a back-to-back? Or do they? Again, I wouldn't know--first time I've done this...

Yes, I know it sounds a bit petty...but, seriously, I am not in a good mood today...I am wasting the day in the Jury Assembly Room on Jury Duty. And, before anyone tells me it's my civic duty and not "a waste of time", know that I've done this several times now and have never come close to being on a jury. I've been an attorney for almost 40 years...I know half the judges in this court house and many of the attorneys who might represent one side or another. I started my career as a prosecutor--and that gets me kicked off any criminal case by the defendant's attorney...and spent the bulk of my career representing major corporations, banks and a large insurer--and that gets me kicked off any civil case. So, here I sit in the Jury Room awaiting assignment to a court room so the judge can once again send me home...

Best thing I can do with my time here is dream about my upcoming cruises...and, thankfully, they have WiFi...

The cruiselines don´t have too much of a choice to waive the drill for you, as they are required By law to conduct them.

As for your comment about the seat belt on the plane and you having them in your car for decades, well it´s not quite the same, as the buckle is not the same. On the vast majority, if not all, car seat belts you have to push to open them, while on the plane you have to pull / lift the flap to open. So it is an important reminder for People how to open it. It´s been proven in real emergencies many People are so stressed out, they actucally have difficulties to open the flap, as it works the opposite of what they are used to from cars.

I too could perform the Job of talking People through the safety briefing on planes, but hey it´s just a short time and there´s not much else to do anyway.;)

Imagine how Mario feels.

BOOM! Indeed. ;p

...Yes, I know it sounds a bit petty...but, seriously, I am not in a good mood today....

I am willing to extend grace because you are usually very upbeat and helpful on these boards. I knew something was "wrong" when I read the first sentence or two.

Anyway, I honestly can think of many more upsetting and serious situations than attending two muster drills, and I am living through one right now. Steve.... take a breath, count your blessings, and smile your way through the double musters. You'll do great. :)

It might depend on the cruiseline's relationship with the officials.

When we sailed the breakaway from new York back to back we had to go through a second muster drill. ( on the plus side ncl doesn't require you to bring your life jackets ).

We just came from a back in the Caribbean on the msc divina from Miami two weeks ago.

Our butler told us that they'd already spoken to officials and that we did not have to repeat the muster drill.

We did not go to the muster and we weren't called up for a makeup muster or anything. So that all worked.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Forums mobile app

Well see....it's this way.

If you don't "mustard" you will have to "ketchup".....now where are those bananas? ;p

Of course you could always make it more interesting the second time around and wear

your life vest to the drill! LOL!!

The cruiselines don´t have too much of a choice to waive the drill for you, as they are required By law to conduct them.

Princess exempt back to backers from muster drill, at least they did a couple of years ago. The announcement on RCI ships is something like, "the drill is required by international law and all guests are required to attend, whether or not you have cruised with us before." The announcement doesn't actually say that international law requires all guests to attend, just that they have to hold the drill. So I think that the lines have some leeway, but it's easier just to make everybody go so they don't have to keep extra records.

But Princess still require you to bring your lifejacket and learn how to put it on. So life is full of tradeoffs.

On the MSC Splendida last December, PAX were getting on and off at every port -- sort of like a bus operation. We did our muster drill (wearing life jackets) upon boarding in Barcelona and, at each port, only new PAX would report for muster drill. RCI could sort of do the same thing for B2Bs by asking only the gaining PAX to report to muster drill.

Holy Crap! Jury assembly room and two muster drills.:eek::eek::eek:

Is the big guy getting you back for something?????? ;)

Don't be surprized your worst relative in on the same cruise as you....... both of them!!!

I hear bad things happen in threes.:D

Actually, it gets even better...Because of the way in which I had to ticket the air flying over there, I have to check in and check my luggage and go through Security at LAX, then fly to SFO, collect my luggage from Baggage Claim, then check it back in again and go through Security again at SFO...

As for your comment about the seat belt on the plane and you having them in your car for decades, well it´s not quite the same, as the buckle is not the same. On the vast majority, if not all, car seat belts you have to push to open them, while on the plane you have to pull / lift the flap to open. So it is an important reminder for People how to open it. It´s been proven in real emergencies many People are so stressed out, they actucally have difficulties to open the flap, as it works the opposite of what they are used to from cars.

I take it you are nowhere near as old as me...My first car was a hand-me-down 1962 Dodge 440 Station Wagon...The seat belts on that thing...and, pretty much, ALL cars at that time were EXACTLY the same as the seat belts on the airplanes...It's just that, over the decades, the auto seat belts have been improved upon and refined. It's the airline industry that just refuses to evolve and improve...easier to maintain that 1962 level of technology. Us old folks have no problem with the airplane seat belts. Besides, when that guy in the seat in front of me reclines his coach seat, we really don't need a seat belt...that seat back in front should do the trick of keeping you solidly in your seat! ;)

As to most of the rest of you: If you really knew me, you'd realize I wasn't complaining...or committed to having an unenjoyable time...It was pretty much all in jest...You guys should really stop taking everything posted on these boards literally and in the worst possible light. Sometimes, some of us just post stuff for the irony, the sarcasm or just for the fun of it...

And, BTW, I have actually been on cruises where not everyone was at the muster drill. On a recent Princess cruise, they had the drill before about half the passengers had even boarded. Then, they had a make-up drill later in the evening to accommodate everyone who missed the first drill. They could actually exempt the back-to-back, same cabin passengers and still comply with the regulations since those passengers would still have done the drill at the beginning of THEIR time onboard. I would HOPE they might do that...but I don't expect it--since it is easier for them to just require everyone to attend each time...

OTOH, please all know that I fully expect to really enjoy my cruise...I do EVERY time...

Anyway, I honestly can think of many more upsetting and serious situations than attending two muster drills, and I am living through one right now. .

Karen, glad to see your posts. And, yes, I've noticed a while back that you were missing from this board.

Sending very positive thoughts your way from the Holy Land, Dani.