best month to travel to Europe

Justmarie1

Cruising or visiting?

If just visiting, fall and early spring are lower crowds, but may be colder weather.

New Years can be GREAT fun, but crowded.

I have done New Years in London, Berlin, Edinburgh in the past few years and all were wonderful.

It rains in Ireland in June and September. The other months it is wet! ;p I know some people think that we paint the fields green, but it is the rain that makes the grass grow!

July/August are school holidays, so best to avoid.

May/June tends to be nice and September can be nice as well.

There isn't a rainy season and a dry season for London (and I think that applies for Ireland too). It has a bit more rainy days in October and November.

http://www.holiday-weather.com/london/averages/

London has a lot of days when it gets rain, but the rainfall is often light and not for that long. Fun fact: London gets only about 25% more annual rainfall than we do in semi-arid Sacramento, CA - they just get it spread over a lot more days.

I am interested in traveling to Europe next year, London, France and Ireland. What is the best month for weather and crowds. We are both in our 50's and trveling by ourselves. Thanks!

I don't know the best, but IMO the month to avoid is August. 2/3 of Europe is on holiday then.

weatherspark.com will give you historical averages, charted, for the whole year or narrow down by any month (which will be shown with the neighboring months, so 3-mo centered on the month you click in the right column).

ETA: that is charts of temperature, time spent in each temperature range, amount of rain, percent chance of rain, average number of days with some or all rain, wind stats, humidity (rated in comfort zones), and a number of other graphs or charts. Really quite amazing all the data presented!

Mid-May is the traditional start of the French camping & caravan season so you can be sure that both the daytime and evening temperatures will be very pleasantly warm, the crowds have yet to arrive, the fiercer High Summer temperatures have not built up - and accommodation prices are still very reasonable. It's a beautiful time of year! But so is September - crowds have disappeared, High Season prices have finished (and daytime temperatures are very pleasant - we're in the inland Vendee and have a 10 days unbroken run of sunshine and daytime temperatures of 18-24 degrees - very pleasant! Mornings can be a little chilly (6-8 degrees at daybreak but by 10:00am, the sun is breaking through, any mist is evaporating - and if you're lucky enough to be near a wine production facility, the slight chill and the overlay of fermenting grapes in the early hours is divine! Our neighbour has a 'cottage industry' producing his own wine - the fragrance in early September is wonderful. Unfortunately, the weather in your other destinations is likely to be less reliable in September!

we prefer Sept and early Oct. Crowds are less, some costs are lower, plants and flowers are still at prime (spring is a nice time as well, but the flora and fauna are not as pronounced). Also, it's a good time to catch a TA repo back to Fla.

weatherspark.com will give you historical averages, charted, for the whole year or narrow down by any month (which will be shown with the neighboring months, so 3-mo centered on the month you click in the right column).

ETA: that is charts of temperature, time spent in each temperature range, amount of rain, percent chance of rain, average number of days with some or all rain, wind stats, humidity (rated in comfort zones), and a number of other graphs or charts. Really quite amazing all the data presented!

I have never seen that app before. It is amazing. Many thnaks.

DON

Thank you. We want to avoid the busy season. As far as weather would like to avoid the rainy season. Looking at late May or early October.

Sent from my XT1254 using Forums mobile app

If those are the 2 choices, I would choose late may.

I prefer early September. It'll be dark and cool before 7 in October.

Good to know. We are looking at a cruise going out of Southampton visiting Ireland and France. Is the weather warm enough to enjoy the pools?

Sent from my XT1254 using Forums mobile app

We cruise out of Southampton a lot... it would have to be very warm for us to use an outdoor pool before reaching Spain... which is why we usually sail on a ship with an indoor pool.

If you want the British/French heat but not the summer/family crowds may I recommend late June to earlyJuly. Most schools break up 15 -30th July depending on the county. Costs will be ok too.

A lot of typical summer season stuff will also be starting that you wouldn't get April/May or September/October.

Pools will be warm enough then too.

If you are talking about the UK, Eire and northern France, the only way to be sure you avoid the rain is to stay away! You might hit it lucky and get a spell of dry days but nothing is guaranteed I'm afraid.

The same applies to the outdoor pools when sailing from Southampton, you cannot rely on warmth until you are a lot further south.