Have you ever been kicked out of a Diamond function?

Here's my situation: We are 5 people traveling together. Myself and my husband, mother (age 87) and 2 kids (age 21 and 17). My husband and I are Emerald (with 4 days to go to be Diamond, which technically happens on my next cruise but not officially). The kids, thanks to just going on cruises with Grandma, are Diamond, as is Grandma.

I know what the answer is going to be ... but if my husband and I want to join our kids and my mom in the Diamond Lounge or at a Diamond breakfast on our upcoming Liberty of the Seas cruise, will they kick us out ... and have any of you been in this situation?

If it is just the two of us getting drinks in the DL, they just give them to us. If we are sitting with others, they ask to see our cabin cards to verify that we are Diamond or above. I assume that this is to stop one in the party from bringing in 'lower class' friends with them for free drinks. :)

Here's my situation: We are 5 people traveling together. Myself and my husband, mother (age 87) and 2 kids (age 21 and 17). My husband and I are Emerald (with 4 days to go to be Diamond, which technically happens on my next cruise but not officially). The kids, thanks to just going on cruises with Grandma, are Diamond, as is Grandma.

I know what the answer is going to be ... but if my husband and I want to join our kids and my mom in the Diamond Lounge or at a Diamond breakfast on our upcoming Liberty of the Seas cruise, will they kick us out ... and have any of you been in this situation?

SeaPass cards are programmed to open the appropriate lounge door for those C&A Members eligible to enter. The Concierge also knows who is and who is not supposed to have access to their respective lounge by facial recognition. You can ask, but please don't put the Concierge in a position that will cause embarrassment for either of you if the answer is not what you are hoping for.

Mom, being a Diamond Member will have 3 drink vouchers loaded onto her SeaPass card each eveningthat she can use at most any lounge during the hours of 5-8:30 (4:30-8). Kids should have sodas added and I am assuming that your children are under 18. You all could just meet in a lounge in the evening before dinner.

Edited by cruisenfever

I have done both: taken my friend into the Diamond or Concierge Lounge on 3 different ships, and shared my Diamond drink vouchers with her.

Yes, talk to the Concierge and see if he/she thinks there is room for the two of you based on the number of Diamonds already onboard. Since you will be 4 days from being Diamond, and with a family group of Diamonds, I'm fairly sure you won't have a problem.

If you cannot go in, then everyone should go elsewhere and share the vouchers, but it will be your mother's vouchers for alcoholic drinks, and your kids' vouchers for non-alcoholic.

There's nothing "low class" about this. You are a family group traveling together and should ask.

I never ceased to be surprised at the way people on this board insult and attack over something so petty as a few drinks in a lounge. My experience over the past 7 years with my bff is that RCCL really doesn't place as much importance on this as the posters on this board. A polite question with the understanding that you will abide by whatever the answer is gets it taken care of in about 30 seconds. And, no, not every Diamond is doing this: it's a few on each cruise; so let's not blow this out of proportion.

I have never caused any Concierge any discomfort over asking. It's a friendly question on my part, and I make it clear I am only asking what the situation is on THIS cruise. They are questioned frequently about it, and it's handled on a case-by-case basis.

Edited by pcur

Many people travel with others who are not eligible to use the diamond lounge and either go on their own or just don't use it for that cruise. With drink vouchers for diamond members now on sea pass cards, the diamond member still have access to 3 free drinks each night. Wait until you are actually eligible instead of risking being embarrassed if you are asked to leave. You could ask the concierge but that is putting them in a tough position. With all the complaints about overcrowding, adding ineligible cruisers just makes it worse.

Sorry, if I have not earned a benefit, I am not going to go asking to have it. Cruise points are added AFTER a completed cruise - not during. We too turned Diamond half way through a cruise and had to wait until our next cruise. That is just the way the rules are.

As for 'sharing' the free drinks on your Mom's card, well, read my first sentence again. To me that is taking something I am not entitled to and that would not sit well with my moral compass. Yours may be different! I live my own personal life with a pretty strict code of ethics.

I've had invitations extended to me for various CL's and DL's on a number of ships before turning Diamond. Explorer CL, Voyager CL, Vision DL, Allure DL.

So it can and does happen. The worst that can happen is you receive a "no" in response to a request.

SeaPass cards are programmed to open the appropriate lounge door for those C&A Members eligible to enter. The Concierge also knows who is and who is not supposed to have access to their respective lounge by facial recognition. You can ask, but please don't put the Concierge in a position that will cause embarrassment for either of you if the answer is not what you are hoping for.

Mom, being a Diamond Member will have 3 drink vouchers loaded onto her SeaPass card each eveningthat she can use at most any lounge during the hours of 5-8:30 (4:30-8). Kids should have sodas added and I am assuming that your children are under 18. You all could just meet in a lounge in the evening before dinner.

Thanks, I didn't realize kids had soda loaded on their cards.

I wasn't aware that they loaded 3 vouchers for the non alcoholic drinks onto kids cards. Never even thought to check on our last cruise and DS had the soda package anyway. Are they just for soda or could they be used for any non alcoholic drink such as a specialty coffee or virgin piña colada?

We just got off of the Liberty yesterday. They have a great diamond lounge and the concierge, Jorge, is very nice and conscientious. He checked everyone's seapass against his list when coming in for the first evening. He also had a strict rule about only 18 + allowed during the cocktail hour-430-800and nicely asked parents with kids to leave. Hope this helps.

We just got off of the Liberty yesterday. They have a great diamond lounge and the concierge, Jorge, is very nice and conscientious. He checked everyone's seapass against his list when coming in for the first evening. He also had a strict rule about only 18 + allowed during the cocktail hour-430-800and nicely asked parents with kids to leave. Hope this helps.

As it should be.

until you are Diamond YOU ARE NOT ENTITLED TO ACCESS TO THE DIAMOND LOUNGE and it is ENTIRELY INAPPROPRIATE to expect otherwise.

the lounges are full enough with people who do have legal access.

and yes I have seen people denied access to the Diamond Breakfast areas.

It is actually up to the concierge individually whether to allow those under 18 into the lounge. It's not an official RCI policy to deny access to those under 18.

I applaud those Concierges like the one ggroup had on their Liberty Of The Seas Cruise. BTW my comment was directed at ggroups entire post.

Edited by davekathy

I applaud those Concierges like the one ggroup had on their Liberty Of The Seas Cruise. BTW my comment was directed at ggroups entire post.

I completely agree as well. If mom and the kids want to take advantage of the lounge and diamond breakfast they will have to do it without the parents who are not yet entitled to these privilege. IMO it's rude to approach the poor concierge about this.

Just a question, can you and your spouse be D members associated with your kids C&A tier? This is reverse of kids attaining similar ranking as the parents.

Ps. I haven't scrolled down and apologize if it ahs been asked.

I´m very happy to hear this, as I´m sailling on Liberty in just a few weeks.:cool: Sounds like he is a great Concierge an knows how to perform his Job and make his guests happy.

That's fine. One could construe your original comment to be meaning though it is RCI policy and the concierge was following it. The reality is it is up to the concierge so it will vary ship by ship. So what someone experienced on Liberty for a particular sailing, another person may have a different experience on another ship, or a different sailing date and should adjust their expectations accordingly.