Celebrity ships vs Oasis of the seas

fla gang

The positives to me on Allure were entertainment and the wide range of speciality dining venues. I would add I really found the MDR too big and loud and the ship as a whole just loud. Don't get me wrong we enjoyed our cruise but I would not repeat.

Celebrity entertainment tends to be lower key. There are shows, quizzes, talks, wine tastings...The area around the pools is also generally just less busy, even if music is playing.

Dining, in my opinion, is much better on Celebrity, even comparing to the specialities on Allure.

I guess my question to you is as you switch lines are you looking for something similar to Oasis or a change from Oasis?

If you want something similar, forget it, Celebrity ships are nothing like. If you want a change, then try Celebrity you may find, as we did, that you like it!

Good luck on your search for your next cruise!

We tried Oasis...disliked it for the most part

too big, too crowded, too much walking

folks milling about all the time.

not very elegant...more for family fun

great for children with carousels, nice water park, events etc

fun for rock wallers, surf riders etc...

had to reserve shows in advance yet still wait on long lines

even the best specialty rest not as good as X

felt like a big local mall and not an upscale one...

cabin seemed small,...

Very windy at outdoor pools

They did a good job moving folks on and off

great Diamond am lounge and pm gathering,

nice jazz club, enjoyed the park area

Happy to return to Celebrity S Class...beautiful ships, great dining choices, Cafe Baccio, upscale amenities, nice uncrowded spaces, congenial crew, very good service, and feels like a ship....lively in spots but not go go go.

Edited by hcat

Never been on Celebrity before and wondering how the Big Celebrity ships compare to Oasis of the Seas?

Thanks for any info

May even look at new NCL ships. I like a variety.

They're probably more like the independence of the Seas, only smaller. The Oasis and Allure are not even remotely in the same class. They're waaaay bigger.

Edited by POA1

Oasis and Allure are very lively ships with lots of stimulation available much of the time. One sterling example is their Sports Deck area with a zipline, putt putt golf, two Flow Riders, one for stand up surfing, one for boogie boarding, table tennis, basketball, and energetic pop music playing loudly. There is nothing remotely similar to that area on Celebrity, even on the large Solstice CLass ships.

Celebrity Solstice Class ships have the very staid grassy area for horseshoes, bacci ball and comfy seating to sit, relax and admire the view. Oasis and Allure have a popular Comedy Club and a Jazz Club. There is no Comedy Club on Celebrity. On S-Class ships there is a similar area near Murano where jazz combos do play, but it might just as frequently have a classical string trio or quartet. Three S-Class ships have interesting glass blowing demos. Oasis Class ships have nothing like that.

There are big differences in itineraries also. In the Caribbean, Oasis Class ships have a much more limited choice of port calls due to the size of these ships.

Without knowing what you want in a cruise, it is hard to make a recommendation. Frankly, I love both kinds of ships. It just depends on mood and inclination. If you have a specific question, perhaps I could answer or someone else here will know. I have had great fun on both Oasis Class and Celebrity ships and continue to sail on both kinds of ships.

Edited by Gangway Style

Too big, too crowded, too much walking

folks milling about all the time.

not very elegant...more for family fun

great for children with carousels, nice water park, events etc

fun for rock wallers, surf riders etc...

had to reserve shows in advance yet still wait on long lines

even the best specialty rest not as good as X

felt like a big local mall and not an upscale one...

They did a good job moving folks on.

Happy to return to Celebrity S Class...beautiful ships, great dining choices, Cafe Baccio, upscale amenities, nice uncrowded spaces, congenial crew, very good service, and feels like a ship....lively in spots but not go go go.

Our experience as well with a few other points.

More than 2+ hours from gangway to cab on our return to Fort Lauderdale.

Our waiters and room steward were OK at best.

Promenade for early risers feels like a depressing version of NY's Broadway at 5:00AM, but if there is some type of sale or other type of shindig taking place STAY AWAY if you value your life. LOL

Hard to know you are on a ship. Spent a lot of time on our veranda to avoid the "thrill a minute excitement". Really not that bad but not our cuppa.

WE had a good time and were pleased overall but as always are returning to Celebrity for a cruise. We prefer M class over S but both are heads above the RC biggies. IMHO of course.

bosco

bosco

Edited by boscobeans

In terms of size, Celebrity's S class ships are comparable to Royal's Voyager Class ships. So the Oasis class ships are much bigger.

We absolutely love Celebrity's S class ships. Personally I don't like small ships and the S class ships are BIG, but no so large that you get tired walking from one end to the other.

The S class ships are also very modern and have a contemporary look which I love. To me, they are the perfect sized ships for port intensive itineraries in Europe. Honestly can't go wrong with these ships.

DH and I are in our mid to late 60's. We went on the Oasis a few years ago, we really enjoyed it. We liked it so well, we decided to do a B2B on the Allure. Cruised on both ships in July, and we did not cruise with family or friends. While there were kids on the ship, we were not bothered by them, nor did we mind seeing them when we did. We like kids of all ages Lots of activities for kids. Both ships are wonderful. Loved all of the shows, MDR food was great, in our opinion. Service lived up to our expectations. Our waiters were outstanding both weeks, and our stateroom attendant was great (we had the same one both weeks), anything we needed he took care of. And, always had a moment or two to chat.

Yes, there are flow riders, ice skating rinks, zip lines (I loved it), and the beloved merry-go-round (DH and I rode it several times) for the young people, and those still young at heart. Lots of bars and lounges and many places to eat.

Yes, there is shopping, as on most other ships, so I don't understand the "shopping mall" thought process. It did get very crowded during "sales" And yes, shows did need to be reserved in advanced. Did not bother me scheduling them, and always got the times that I wanted. Did not ever have to wait in a line to get into a pre-booked show. Never noticed any more crowding at the elevators or pool deck then any other ship I had been on.

I was usually up and out of the cabin before 7:00 am, in search of that first cup of coffee at the Promenade Cafe. A very, calm peaceful and active place that early. Plenty of people milling about.

DH and I never had a problem feeling like we were on a ship. Plenty of ocean views were available. It was also possible to get away from people and find places of solitude.

I will say that it does take a long time to disembark form the Oasis class ships. That, however, is not the fault of Royal Caribbean. I think that it has to due with customs - a lot of people trying to leave, and not enough agents to do the job quickly.

I would go back on the Oasis or Allure (or the new Harmony) again.

That being said, I am looking forward to my first Celebrity cruise. I will be on the Solstice in July for a cruise to Alaska.

I would say that while cruising on the Oasis and/or the Allure the ship was the destination, and the ports secondary, I do not feel that way about my upcoming cruise to Alaska where the destination is the main focus of the cruise. I do not need all of the hustle and bustle of those ships, instead, I am looking forward to the calm, reported sophistication of the Solstice. I don't think I will be disappointed.

Edited by sleepless

None of those mega-sized ships for us. I don't want to go on a floating city, I want to feel like I'm on a ship, sailing! As someone said, waaaaay too big, too far in between things, too crowded, too noisy. Too many choices, and you get the feeling you are missing out on alot. And you probably are. No thanks.

No ship compares to the Oasis and Allure.;)

Love all the choices of everything.

Love the preplanning and reservation system

Love Central Park and Boardwalk.

Love the Comedy Club

Love the Aqua shows with the Olympic diver

Love the zip line

Edited by gsb

Tried the Oasis and never again!!

Stood in line outside the buffet to wait for a lunch table....bad

We like to be on the ocean and didn't get that feel . There is no place to sit outside looking at the ocean to eat. I can go to a park at home.. a nicer park

I hate eating from plastic dishes and especially drinking my tea .. only plastic at the buffet

We like to be spontaneous on vacation so booking shows is not for us

I could go on and on ...

We have only sailed X one time on Reflection and had a great time (repeating Alaska on Solstice next!)

But can't compare these two classes of ship, whole different animal...

Oasis class much bigger. Much more to do. Food was better in MDR on X...mmmmm! Entertainment better IMHO on RCCL because of the Ice Show, Aqua Theater and Flowrider. As others have said many more people, although I never found it crowded. I would/plan to sail Allure again or Oasis and most probably the new Harmony which will have a lot of new features such as slides and stuff. And there are lots of places on top deck to eat and look at the sea..AND of course the MDR and Windjammer have fixed windows.

Liked the laid back toned down feel of Solstice class, hence that and the great 123GO deal we got on our next booking. Happy with both!:D

Edited by BecciBoo

We are Diamond with Royal and have sailed Oasis twice. We are Elite Plus with Celebrity which is our favorite line but we are partial to the Solstice Class ships over the Millennium Class. However, we just took our first NCL cruise on Getaway and were blown away! Loved it. Loved having a MDR open for embarkation day lunch. Loved having a coffee maker in the cabin. Loved the Waterfront concept. You might check out either Getaway or Escape.

Depends what you cruise for.

We cruise for food&service which is hands-down better on Celebrity. There is no comparison.

If you want activities &entertainment; Oasis wins.

They are two completely different ships. Oasis is 225K tonnes. Celebrity Reflection is 126,000 tonnes.

Your ship experience will be completely different on each one. We've sailed both and like both, but if we had a choice, we prefer Celebrity

If you loved the mega ships, you probably won't like S class ships. There are no bells and whistles like on the Oasis. Whole atmosphere and experience totally different. But if you know what to expect in comparison, sure try Celebrity...and as many others you can.;) But this is like comparing London to Denver. Both destinations with little more in common.

Edited by eandj

None of those mega-sized ships for us. I don't want to go on a floating city' date=' I want to feel like I'm on a ship, sailing! As someone said, waaaaay too big, too far in between things, too crowded, too noisy. Too many choices, and you get the feeling you are missing out on alot. And you probably are. No thanks.[/quote']

Amen. Well said. We had given up on RCCL in the Caribbean because all the ships sailing there were mega, unless you wanted a 3 or 4 day cruise. Serenade of the Seas is now sailing out of Port Everglades and we are booked on a 10 night cruise. I love the Radiance class ships because they are beautiful, lots of glass and far fewer passengers. The things we love about the Radiance class ships are the same things we love about Celebeity. I don't need to be entertain/stimulated every waking moment. I enjoy watching the waves go by and listening to the ocean, reading, knitting or just chilling out. I don't want to feel that I am missing out which is how I would feel on the mega ships.

For a visual size comparison, check out this photo. The Carnival Destiny was about 100,000 gross tons, slightly less but fairly similar in size to the largest Celebrity ships, the Solstice class at 122,000 to 126,000 gross tons.

Oasis is 225,000 gross tons and makes the Destiny look like a toy in this photo:

oasis1a.jpg

Edited by Earthworm Jim

I took my family on Oasis this summer and loved it. It was the grandkids first cruise. I treasure seeing them experience this type of vacation for the first time. I did a solo on Allure last December to try out this venue and loved it. It is a different experience. I usually cruise X so it was a change of pace for me, but I liked the small venues like The Promenade Cafe, Park Place and the Mexican Food place. The English Pub was fun. I do miss Michael's since that has been taken away from folks who are not Zenith. I am a lowly Elite and do not book suites. I loved the diving show, the ice skating show, etc. It is a very fun fun atmosphere. That said, I am booked on Celebrity again, and will enjoy my more adult pleasures. Martini Bar vs. Rising Tides. Both experiences are great. Comedy Club on Oasis class is great because this gal can't stay up for an adult comedy show starting at 11:30 pm. Really Celebrity, there are tons on kids on RCL but they have adult comedy at 8 pm. You ought to be able to figure that out. The Internet is incredibly fast on Oasis. Their website even works. I love X and will sail it forever, but once a year my inner child will be back on Oasis. All,cruising is good.

As others have stated, two totally different entities. We would sail on both again, however, Oasis is more about the ship as the destination. Entertainment is outstanding on Oasis whereas X deliver a more refined approach. Radiance class ships are more similar, IMHO, to the X product.

There are many many differences, but if trying to turn it into a sentence...

For me, the difference is a quiet, luxury boutique resort hotel (Celebrity) and a Las Vegas resort hotel (Allure)

Two completely different experiences at sea, both thoroughly enjoyable experiences, both with their own downsides

Apples & Oranges...(compman may have put it best--we LOVE Vegas...but have come to love cruises that are more relaxing...that being said...)

We did the Allure & it is our FAVORITE ship/cruise ever. But our other RCL is our least fav.

Why?

SO SO SO much to do--we like there are so many places to be & so much to do. Were remarkably surprised how we NEVER felt that it was crowded (OK, except muster...) We did specialty dining since we traveled as a couple & won the cruise--loved our meals.

We find Celebrity & Princess to be fairly comparable in all areas & wouldn't hesitate to book either line again. Constellation may be a bit small for us; we prefer the additional activity offerings of a larger ship (at least 3K or so)

Edited by KKB

As others have stated, two totally different entities. We would sail on both again, however, Oasis is more about the ship as the destination. Entertainment is outstanding on Oasis whereas X deliver a more refined approach. Radiance class ships are more similar, IMHO, to the X product.

I was just going to ask if M Class can be compared to Radiance Class. We'll be sailing for the first time with Celebrity in March. I'm really excited about this cruise.

We have mostly sailed with RC, but haven't done an Oasis class ship yet. We've certainly been curious about them though and knew we'd have to try it at least once.

We were lucky enough to book the transatlantic for next October on Harmony of the Seas during that period where the prices were actually good, and we were able to get a pretty good deal on a grand suite, so we'll have access to their suite restaurant. This trip will take care of a few bucket list items. We've never been to Barcelona, so we'll be doing 2-3 days pre-cruise. It will be our first TA, and we'll be on an Oasis Class ship. 9 b2b sea days on the way to Ft. Lauderdale should give us plenty of time to explore the ship, and not feel like we're cramming it into the 2 or 3 sea days you typically get on a 7-day Caribbean. We may not love it, but I doubt we'll hate it. :)

And another bonus for us, it looks like we'll probably have Capt. Johnny for the crossing, and he was our first, and favorite RC captain. :)