Does anyone else...

We always get balconies or suites because I have issues with crowds.

So I am wondering if anyone else does something odd on cruises that they don't do at home.

I sleep at least one night out on the balcony letting the sound of the waves and the wake lull me to sleep.

Does anyone else do that?

We always book balconies as well - claustrophobia and agoraphobia stink, hey? But no, I don't ever sleep on the balcony. I prefer the air conditioning if in the Caribbean, and the warmth and coziness if in Alaska. :)

Also, if you wouldn't mind... next time you start a thread, could I ask that you have a more descriptive title; I find this really helps if someone wants to run a search, or if we are just skimming the titles of the threads. I ask politely, and I also thank you. :)

So I am wondering if anyone else does something odd on cruises that they don't do at home.

I sleep at least one night out on the balcony letting the sound of the waves and the wake lull me to sleep.

I like to have a balcony, but could not sleep out there due to the humidity.

We always book a balcony because we like to dine on it and also like to lounge and read. Would never sleep on it. I sleepwalk and sleeping on the balcony would be much too dangerous for me.

One thing we usually do on a cruise that we never do at home is play bingo. We love it on the ship, but have never gone while at home.

I normally sleep in my Inside Suite. Jose my Butler likes to tuck us in after the shows. If we have a Balcony Suite, we'll have a couple of stiff drinks on the balcony and then Jose will tuck us in and read us a bedtime story! How about you? Who tucks you in?

Well, even though the balconies aren't 100% private, I have, on occasion, sat out there in my birthday suit. Can't really sit out on my front porch at home like that. The neighbors would call the police.:o:eek::D

Follow this progression:

• We had an inside cabin on our first ever cruise--which was our honeymoon.
  • The next few cruises were Ocean View cabins.
  • All cruises since then have been balconies.

I dare not book a suite, because I know that there will be no going back for Mrs. XBGuy. :D

We like to view the ocean, but of equal importance are the sounds and fresh ocean air.

My wife can fall asleep just about anywhere. She takes afternoon naps on the balcony quite often. I would not be surprised if, after I've fallen asleep for the night, she has sat out on the balcony and fallen asleep.

One thing I do on cruises that I can't really do at home is let people do things for me. :)

After sailing in our first balcony cabin, DH said he could never go back to an oceanview. So I booked us an inside for our next cruise. We still had a good time. I'll book a balcony when the price is reasonable, but I can't see paying $1,000 more for the two of us just to have the convenience.

We also did an inside for our honeymoon (first cruise). Our second cruise was a Panama Canal and we were told by many we needed a balcony, we were hooked.

Our third cruise, Alaska we booked a balcony, got a cheap up sell to a suite, ended up in an aft wrap on the Zuiderdam . The balcony was HUGE.

Can't afford a suite on our next cruise, but we lucked out on a larger balcony on the hump of the Celebrity Solstice.

Don't think we could ever do an inside again [emoji4]

Edited by kdkstormy

I book balconies for the exact same reason, the crowds! Then again, I am one of those people who has a panic attack if I go to Walmart on the weekends, or heck even weeknights during 5-8pm.

I also tend to nap on my balcony a lot. I will probably be actually sleeping out there one night if not every sea day on our upcoming cruise because well, the balcony is almost as big as the mini-suite we are in :p

I am a bookworm and honestly just don't have as much time as I would like to read at home anymore. I can easily go threw 3000+ pages on a cruise. I couldn't imagine doing that in a public area with a lot of noise and people running back and forth all the time, it would drive me up a wall. My DH always drags me off to thinks like trivia's and such, but if I am ever lucky enough to cruise solo or just with my DS, I will honestly just spend 7 days on my balcony reading and doing nothing else if I could.

I book balconies for the exact same reason, the crowds! Then again, I am one of those people who has a panic attack if I go to Walmart on the weekends, or heck even weeknights during 5-8pm.

I also tend to nap on my balcony a lot. I will probably be actually sleeping out there one night if not every sea day on our upcoming cruise because well, the balcony is almost as big as the mini-suite we are in :p

I am a bookworm and honestly just don't have as much time as I would like to read at home anymore. I can easily go threw 3000+ pages on a cruise. I couldn't imagine doing that in a public area with a lot of noise and people running back and forth all the time, it would drive me up a wall. My DH always drags me off to thinks like trivia's and such, but if I am ever lucky enough to cruise solo or just with my DS, I will honestly just spend 7 days on my balcony reading and doing nothing else if I could.

We could be cruise soul mates:-)

Our first we had an ocean view. Ship didn't have any balconies/verandas.

After that we booked a balcony and fell in love with it.

Now all we book are balconies/verandas.

We have often napped out there during the day. But we have never slept out there overnight. Love the air conditioning and comfortable bed.

An interesting question about booking balconies.

I have no concern about "crowds"; enjoy people watching in fact.

But, booking my first Carnival cruise, Carnival Freedom, 6 days from Fort Lauderdale, during Spring Break, I purposely booked a veranda stateroom just in case the "Fun Ship" fun became more "Fun" than I wanted to experience. Having a veranda, I could retreat to my little private part of the ship and still enjoy myself. As it turned out, while I did enjoy my veranda to be sure, I was never "chased" there because of what I was experiencing on a "Fun Ship". It was an enjoyable cruise with Spring breakers who were interesting to get to know. I enjoyed it enough so that I have sailed on other Carnival cruises and would not hesitate to do so again.

As to what I do on the ship that I don't do at home: usually play trivia.

Because Hubby likes to keep our cabin as low as the thermostat will allow, I often end up sleeping on the balcony to warm up. The waves sound very nice too. There are hazards however. Very early in the morning crews hose down the top decks and often that water can cascade down onto balconies. Sometimes a heavy rain storm can cause havok on a balcony too and I've had to run inside as fast as I could.

As for other shipbooard activities I seldom do at home, I find time to play Solitaire on the ship.

I am a bookworm and honestly just don't have as much time as I would like to read at home anymore. I can easily go threw 3000+ pages on a cruise.

I am so with you on this one! Reading is one of my favorite hobbies, but unfortunately I haven't had much time to read since going back to grad school a few years ago. But I graduate 5/15, and I leave for a B2B on 7/2. I plan on spending a lot of time reading! On my long balcony, I might add. [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I am so with you on this one! Reading is one of my favorite hobbies, but unfortunately I haven't had much time to read since going back to grad school a few years ago. But I graduate 5/15, and I leave for a B2B on 7/2. I plan on spending a lot of time reading! On my long balcony, I might add. [emoji6]

I am an avid reader but I find myself reading less on a cruise. Every time I go sit out on the balcony with my tablet I find myself being lured to sleep and I wake up to find my tablet has turned itself off before I have even gotten 1 page read.

Of our cruises I think we have had an inside cabin twice, and an ocean view once. These were all 4-night cruises. On a 7-night or longer I definitely want a balcony. I, too, get tired of the crowds and love being able to escape to our own balcony any time I want to. Love just sitting and watching the ocean (we had an aft balcony once and that was awesome!!!). I also enjoy reading and I have tried and tried to find a truly quiet spot on the ship in order to read, but there is always music playing/being piped in. And people walking by, talking, or even sitting down beside me and wanting to strike up a conversation. So, my quiet balcony is where I go when I want to escape the crowds and enjoy reading. Also my absolute favorite thing to do on any ship is to have a nice room service breakfast on the balcony, what a great way to start my day!

Have never slept on the balcony though, not even napped.

• 4 weeks later...

Leaving on a cruise tomorrow- maybe. Kindle was broken on the trip down. I have no real books. I am actually thinking of not getting on the ship until I find a few books.