Anyone know where the crew go to eat when they are shore leave on a caribbean island?

Thanks! I figure that they know the best spots!

I would question this assumption. They go ashore for Wifi and other communications and to buy supplies. Even if they did want to spend a day's wages on a fancy meal their taste may be very different from yours.

I would question this assumption. They go ashore for Wifi and other communications and to buy supplies. Even if they did want to spend a day's wages on a fancy meal their taste may be very different from yours.

The ship has wifi for crew members and I remember in college, I always wanted to occasionally eat someplace other then the cafeteria. They aren't poor souls, but people like you and me, working for a living and getting a nice lunch someplace, is not unusual or extravegant

The ship has wifi for crew members and I remember in college, I always wanted to occasionally eat someplace other then the cafeteria. They aren't poor souls, but people like you and me, working for a living and getting a nice lunch someplace, is not unusual or extravegant

But the wi-fi on the ship is not free, so the crew often congregate in areas that have free wi-fi. It seems to be a priority for most who come ashore in port.

On Nassau it's the golden Phoenix Chinese on St Thomas there is a Chinese restaurant in the right hand corner of the shopping center at the old port. And a fish shack at Choans market across the street. In Cozumel when you go out to the main road go right there is a Chinese place in a 2 story building. And just a little further down by the carnival pier is a place that looks like a house and on the front it says Indonesian. They are the ones I have gone to with the crew. All were good.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

they PAY for that wifi. so of course they will head to the free spots on shore. just like all the passengers will even if they have wifi fi on the ship.

Not necessarily.

We have gone on shore to various resorts and/or bars with upper level crew &/or staff. There also have been times when they happened to be at the same place that we went. Many of them have the same taste as guests...and enjoy enjoying the good life.:)

That is not to say that some go to ethic eateries, CVS (as in San Juan), as well as places for wifi.

In Port Canaveral there is a 'just for the crew' place at Merritt Square Mall .. European Crew Corner.

They prepare dishes of many nationalities "just like home" ... stuff not typically seen in local restaurants. They have free WiFi, and provide wire transfer service for folks wanting to send money home. AND there is a store with the popular crew necessities and snacks .... I'll bet this place is not unique ..... sort of a one stop shop place for crews ...

On a couple of occasions I've been invited to spend an in port day with a cruise ship Master/Captain (professional courtesy) and each time they had a place they liked to go which was AWAY from where they might typically encounter passengers or crew, but also where it was clear they were considered a 'regular' and got treated well. Perhaps their regularly bring some guests and their spending money was a reason.

In Cayman while vacationing at Sunset House I've seen some ship folks show up at My Bar .... it is far enuf from town to see only the occasional passenger, and why if visiting with a cruise I head that way too!