$79 for We Will Rock You VIP show!!!!

gaylemh

Went to Cats matinee on recent Oasis cruise (before you read me the riot act - it was cold, cloudy and windy with little else to do.) It was our 6th time on Oasis and the first time at the show. Place was packed. At intermission, they invited anyone up to the stage to meet Jellicle Cat for a photo op. I agree with others who question the benefit of getting a cruise employee autograph We left at intermission, not because of the show, but because there was something scheduled we wanted to attend. Many folks seemed to use the play as a place to nap!

Come in RCCL - are the shows that crowded that you need to charge for crowd control?

I thought I read that NCL had charged for a show. Not sure if it was fake news, still going on, an experiment or what.

M

Of course some will pay for it. Look how many pay for a tour of the bridge, etc. But $79 is rather steep.

Seeing the bridge on a ship is something folks might only get one chance to experience. Remember, for many, their cruise may be their first and only cruise they expect to take. We have meet many who did the bridge tour ( for the first time) or all access tour and loved the experience. I easily remember our first bridge tour. It was well before 9/11 - a port was missed and a bridge tour was offered to anyone who wanted it. You waited in line and they took anyone in for 10 minutes or so. Of course that would NEVER happen today. Security, big ships ( too many people to accommodate) etc.

Many of us are frequent cruisers and have had many opportunities to see the bridge, galley, backstage, studio B. etc. Because we've gone on or have had offers of tours on most every cruise, we wouldn't pay if that became the only option, but I know many others will ( and do) .

M

Soon it will be a base price for the cruise which will include a cabin and food in the WJ, then you pay for room cleaning, eating in the MDR, this is something that would make me think about going with another line or even more land based vacations..

I wouldn't be surprised if this started to happen across all lines. If one can pull it off successfully, the others will follow suit.

As a wife and mother of 4, aside from the magic of being on the ocean and seeing multiple destinations in one vacation, a big part of the appeal of cruising for me is that everything is taken care of. For one week I don't have to cook or clean - that's a real vacation for me. All I need to do is hang out with my family and relax (I do not let my kids run wild when on vacation - they are with me or at the kids club and they are behaving).

But if the lines start to do this, that will be the end of cruising for our family. A change like that would certainly push our family to the all-inclusive land vacation option.

As Canadians, our exchange has been generally unfavourable which means that everything costs that much more for us in the first place. I remember the year I cruised Enchantment it was around 1.45 - all of a sudden that $8 drink is close to $12 and that's before the credit card charges you 2.5% for doing the conversion. It all adds up and quickly when you have to pay for every little thing on top of the base fare.

But let's hope it doesn't go that way and MDR / majority of entertainment / housekeeping remain part of base fare as they should be.

Went to Cats matinee on recent Oasis cruise (before you read me the riot act - it was cold, cloudy and windy with little else to do.) It was our 6th time on Oasis and the first time at the show. Place was packed. At intermission, they invited anyone up to the stage to meet Jellicle Cat for a photo op. I agree with others who question the benefit of getting a cruise employee autograph We left at intermission, not because of the show, but because there was something scheduled we wanted to attend. Many folks seemed to use the play as a place to nap!

Come in RCCL - are the shows that crowded that you need to charge for crowd control?

I thought I read that NCL had charged for a show. Not sure if it was fake news, still going on, an experiment or what.

M

NCL charges for a couple of shows, one is a dinner show, and one includes wine. The rest are free.

NCL charges for a couple of shows, one is a dinner show, and one includes wine. The rest are free.

Thanks for the info. Is it a standard production show, or more of a Broadway experience? Can you see the same show without dinner or wine?

Still not sure I get the concept of charging for a show, when I can have dinner and (then) a show included in my fare.

Hope this in not an industry trend.

Thanks again

Thanks for the info. Is it a standard production show, or more of a Broadway experience? Can you see the same show without dinner or wine?

Still not sure I get the concept of charging for a show, when I can have dinner and (then) a show included in my fare.

Hope this in not an industry trend.

Thanks again

I saw a Cirque show on the Breakaway, it was really good, it came with a caprese salad, a filet with shrimp, and dessert. No, you can’t ask for no food and see the show for free. Then there is Wine Lovers The Musical, didn’t see it, but again, you can’t skip the wine and see it for free. I know they’ve had paid shows for at least 5 years, so I don’t think it’s a trend. There are also free shows.

Soon it will be a base price for the cruise which will include a cabin and food in the WJ, then you pay for room cleaning, eating in the MDR, this is something that would make me think about going with another line or even more land based vacations.

We are on Ovation in May and have heard a rumour that they charge for ifly, something that was free on Anthem, I hope it's not true as it's one of the reasons we booked Ovation.

My thoughts exactly. As much as I love Royal and cruising in general this is getting out of hand.

They still have a complimentary dinner show too on NCL.

Funny, I am sitting in Las Vegas airport talking about a show we saw this week, for less than $79, and my colleague says “Well that was no cruise ship show, that’s for sure.”

I saw this show a few years ago when it was on in London's West End. I had very good seats which cost me less than the equivalent of $79.

Obviously, I knew the music, but didn't think the show was very good.

I saw the show in London also. Loved it.

I thought it was very innovative, using the music from Queen, but with lyrics changes. And the various playoffs were pretty funny.

I paid a bit more, but it was a special occasion, and I booked online early, so no day of discounts.

This is going too far. I will not pay for entertainment on a cruise ship. These are not broadway performers! A few are great, some are good and a lot of singers and actors are ho hum. Occasionally we hear one who can’t stay in tune. The bean counters are trying everything!!! People are just stupid if they pay it.

Unfortunately, there will always be enough people that pay to make it worthwhile for their bottom line.

Those that don't pay still have lots of free/included options.

Sad, but once they start charging for something we got used to for "free" it does not seem to revert back to free.

But, when you can go to a performance in major cities for less than seeing it on a cruise, I am not interested, that will not be something I fork over for.

RCCL canceled peoples reservations for the cruise on Sunday, because they are having a special VIP show and charging $79. I can't see anyone paying $79 for something they can see for free.

I hear you!

As much as I liked the show, after seeing it a couple of times, I will not see it if they paid me $75.

Edited by Arzeena

It sure would be great if everyone boycotted this and put a stop to it permanently.

My husband & I are sailing the Anthem this sunday 01/28/18. Last evening at 5:30 I got an e-mail from RCCL stating I'd be rescheduled from the 6pm show on the 7th to the 2:30 show same date. What the ????

So I called C&A desk, asked to have my rsvp back. They said that 6 pm show was cancelled.

Couldn't get the 6th for 8pm show either-not available.

Well after the call, I go into the cruise planner and see the TRUTH!!!

It would appear RCCL needs a bit more of our cash. they are now selling that 6pm show for 79.00 per head.

I could put either show in my cart-for a price-but the complimentary option was not available

Oh you get a fancy cocktail, a preferred seat, a meet & greet & photo with the cast. Ha!

So a whole lot of people just get bumped so Royal can try a new money making scam?

This corporation is making it harder and harder for me to stay loyal to Royal!!!

How dare they change the game plan the very last evening possible to adjust things online?

How dare they take away my reserved seats, I booked months ago?

I'm not done. I will have my seats back! This is a crusade people!

I find myself very upset with this backhanded abuse that RCCL feels they have some sort of right to inflict on it's loyal customers. I reached out to C&A this morning, Oregon office. I explained the lack of a satisfying result for the problem. I pleaded to be put through to resolutions, as C&A has no authority to handle this, as they keep saying. No, I was repeatedly scolded, they need to "do some research" before they can escalate it...

I then called a guest relations # I had on my desk-turned out to be Celebrity.The agent was very understanding & put me through to Miami resolution dept. They used the same BS that C&A used- C&A needs to finish it's "research" before Resolutions can do anything. I argued that since they were the only ones able to accommodate a customer complaint-why the wait? No go. Would not say if they can even fix this, or when-I was literally in tears...(I can only hope the show at 6pm on Feb7th plays to an empty theatre.)

I was promised, however that I would hear back from Miami today. They better make it right because I have always hated bad breakups, and I never ever go back. because, once it's over, it's over...

This is going too far. I will not pay for entertainment on a cruise ship. These are not broadway performers! A few are great, some are good and a lot of singers and actors are ho hum. Occasionally we hear one who can’t stay in tune. The bean counters are trying everything!!! People are just stupid if they pay it.

RCCL canceled peoples reservations for the cruise on Sunday, because they are having a special VIP show and charging $79. I can't see anyone paying $79 for something they can see for free.

$79, they've got to be kidding. They should pay me to see that show. Saw it in on the Anthem this past August and walked out on it as it quite noisy. For my upcoming Anthem cruise, I've made no reservations as the shows are the same and simply suck. I'm hoping for a good headliner.

I personally don't see paying that much for an on-board show but if they get a hundred or so people to take the bait they'll make $8K and up on a show that would have went on for free. It needs to be a total bust to get this idea out of their head.

Count me in the minority, but I would actually pay for a VIP experience to meet the cast of certain shows and have the best seats in the house to watch the performance up close. This is already done on many Broadway shows where the people in the front seats are paying $175 for a VIP experience while the people in the back are paying $45.

BUT (and it’s a BIG but) it would need to be to meet the original cast of a show that I’m a huge fan of (for example Lin Manuel Miranda on Hamilton or Michael Crawford and Sarah Brightman on the Phantom of the Opera), NOT to meet cruise employed 3rd tier performers at some watered down version of that show.

I’m guessing that there will be some people who are big enough fans of these shows and who will be thrilled to pay the $79 on a cruise ship though.

And it would not be far fetched to see certain shows becoming completely “for an extra charge” on Royal. As others have said, other cruise lines already do it so it would be logical to think that Royal may follow the trend. We are sailing on the MSC Meraviglia in November and they are offering two original Cirque du Soleil productions for an extra charge. They have one option with dinner and one without. We will probably go to at least one.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Count me in the minority, but I would actually pay for a VIP experience to meet the cast of certain shows and have the best seats in the house to watch the performance up close. This is already done on many Broadway shows where the people in the front seats are paying $175 for a VIP experience while the people in the back are paying $45.

BUT (and it’s a BIG but) it would need to be to meet the original cast of a show that I’m a huge fan of, not to meet cruise employed 3rd tier performers at some watered down version of that show.

I’m guessing that there will be some people who are big enough fans of these shows and who will be thrilled to pay the $79 on a cruise ship though.

And it would not be far fetched to see certain shows becoming completely “for an extra charge” on Royal. As others have said, other cruise lines already do it so it would be logical to think that Royal may follow the trend. We are sailing on the MSC Meraviglia in November and they are offering two original Cirque du Soleil productions for an extra charge. They have one option with dinner and one without. We will probably go to at least one.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This is what the should do offer slots for people that would like to meet the cast and possibly have better seats and not turn 1 of the 3 shows into a "Pay per View" event.

$79, they've got to be kidding. They should pay me to see that show. Saw it in on the Anthem this past August and walked out on it as it quite noisy. For my upcoming Anthem cruise, I've made no reservations as the shows are the same and simply suck. I'm hoping for a good headliner.

Love WWRY and go to see it every time I'm on Anthem, but I would never pay $79 to see a show on a ship, unless it came with a speciality dinner, drinks, and reserved seats.

That's not what this is really about though. It's the fact that they changed peoples reservations to charge $79 for the same show 3 days before their cruise. If they make it a choice for future booking, that's up to the people if they want to pay, but you don't do this to people 3 days before their cruise.

This is what the should do offer slots for people that would like to meet the cast and possibly have better seats and not turn 1 of the 3 shows into a "Pay per View" event.

I have future Anthem sailing booked and just check the ones that I didn't make show reservations yet. WWRY has 2 choices the $79 VIP or the free choice. It is the same option on all days and all times. So they are not making the entire show a "Pay per View"

The problem is they did this on the cruise that is leaving Sunday, and you can't even rebook another time, because the reservations are closed for this sailing. I'm guessing they just cancelled random people to make room for the new VIP section. That's what's not right about this whole thing.