2 Days in Port - Cruise lines that spend more than one day in port

blmjcs

Are there certain cruise lines that tend to stay in port overnight to where you would get two full days in a port to see more while you are there? I have noticed on 12 to 15 cruises you can sometimes get the first port and the last port with two days but not other ports during the cruise. Some of the ports are so appealing and interesting it seems there would be plenty to explore spending two days there. Thanks for you input.

Are there certain cruise lines that tend to stay in port overnight to where you would get two full days in a port to see more while you are there? I have noticed on 12 to 15 cruises you can sometimes get the first port and the last port with two days but not other ports during the cruise. Some of the ports are so appealing and interesting it seems there would be plenty to explore spending two days there. Thanks for you input.

There are random itineraries that will put a ship in a port of call for an overnight. Not necessarily a full 2 days, however. You tend to arrive mid day and depart mid day, so really just one full day/night there.

We did a Princess cruise with an overnight in San Francisco. And a couple of Disney cruises with an "overnight" in Cabo San Lucas.

Edited by Shmoo here

Celebrity seems to overnight quite a bit. We have a TA booked for April with a full 2 days in the Azores and 2 days in Dublin. We did a west coast on RC Explorer of the Seas last year with 2 Days in San Francisco. Itineraries are out there you just have to search.

Overnites in mid-cruise ports-of-call are more likely with small cruise lines / small ships. Azamara or Cruise&Maritime, for example.

But the main drivers are how worthwhile the port, whether the places of interest are distant from the port & how high the port fees.

There are some overnites in Europe, where the places are very worthwhile but the port charges high.

I suspect the same is true of the USA?

S.E. Asia has some ports that are worthwhile but often some distance, and port charges are relatively low. Places like Bangkok, Saigon, Halong Bay / Hanoi.

I rate a day at the embarkation or disembarkation port much less worthwhile. Yes, they give the traveller a day to see those places - places many otherwise wouldn't see because they go direct from airport to ship and vice-verse. But anyone can add time at embarkation / disembarkation ports by booking a hotel. And for longer than one night - they're limited only by their home commitments & the depth of their pockets, not by the cruise itinerary.

It's mid-cruise overnites that I look out for

In the Caribbean, P&O's larger ships (about 3 to 4,000 pax) spend two days in the turnaround port, and offer cruises Friday-to-Friday and Saturday-to-Saturday. So on Friday night half the complement aboard are at the end of their cruise & the other half are at the start. This spreads the turmoil of turnaround over a more-leisurely two days, and makes much more efficient use of chartered aircraft.

I know the US is just a bit bigger than the UK for regional flights, but with chartered aircraft operating two days per cruise isn't this sort of fly-cruise arrangement worth consideration by RCI with their leviathons like Allure? Just a thought

JB :)

(cruiser & wannabe CEO ;))

Nearly all cruise lines overnight in St Petersburg and have two full days there.

Small ships like Seaborne can get right into city centres often and so much more sightseeing can be done as you are in the thick of things instead of berthing hours out of town.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Celebrity seems to overnight quite a bit. We have a TA booked for April with a full 2 days in the Azores and 2 days in Dublin. We did a west coast on RC Explorer of the Seas last year with 2 Days in San Francisco. Itineraries are out there you just have to search.

We spent a week in Ponta Delgada last August. ALL rental cars on the whole island was fully booked the whole week and you NEED a tour or a car to see the fantastic parts of the island. The town Ponta Delgada doesn't offer much.

I would book a tour with Green Zone, they have Landrovers and take you to places on the island that you will never find on your own.

I just disembarked a Princess Cruise that did 2 full days in Buenos Aires. A city very much worth the time.

Princess usually spends 2 full days in Lima, Peru also. There is lots to see in the city or you can take a two night excursion to Machu Picchu and catch up with the ship at its next port. Other cities where we've spent two days with Princess are Quebec City (more like a day and a half since it was an embarkation port), St. Petersburg, Russia (2 full days) and Manaus, Brazil (a disembarkation/embarkation port) which unfortunately isn't on any Princess itineraries anymore.

Holland America: Tokyo/Yokohama, Beijing/Tianjin, Shanghai, Hong Kong, Singapore, Sydney.

Bangkok is another overnight port for many lines. We also had overnights in Bali and in Auckland.

You have to check cruise lines that go to interesting ports like HAL, Princess, Celebrity, Oceania, Azamara, and various luxury lines.

Among the mass market lines that stop in Israel, many spend 2 nights (some even spend 3) in Haifa.

Same is true for St. Petersburg, Russia

Many lines that embark in Venice have an overnight there prior to sailing; same is often true for cruises that end there.

Istanbul used to have overnight stops occasionally but at the moment seems to be off the cruise calendar for most if not all lines.

Other than that, I see the very occasional overnight in Livorno or sometimes in Naples.

If you look beyond the mass market lines, you'll find overnights are somewhat more common but still not widespread. On my upcoming Med cruise in May (on a 350 passenger ship) we actually have two overnights in Sorrento. I was on the same ship last year with several overnights in Morocco and southern Spain.