Never leave ship

quite a few do. I no longer get off in any Mexican ports. many people now cruise the big ones: Oasis, Allure, Ovation, etc for the ship amenities and don't care where she's going.

some of my best days have been on port days when 2/3 of the pax are gone.

Ditto. I will never get off in any Mexican port again. I've also had my fill of Port Canaveral.

We usually go on Oasis class , get off for a an hour or two basically for a walk and exercise.

Then it gets too hot and back to the ship we go to cool off and have lunch . We always find someone

to chat with in the windjammer , as we find cruisers tend to be a friendly bunch.

Ditto. I will never get off in any Mexican port again. I've also had my fill of Port Canaveral.

After 25+ cruises just to the Caribbean I've had my fill of every Caribbean port. No need to get off the ship. Other parts of the world it's obviously a different story.

And yours to the contrary? You can’t spend money onshore sitting on the ship.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That's not what you said. You said, "A lot of cruisers stay on the ship because they don’t want to spend any $$$ onshore". How do you know what others are thinking or that's the reason (s) some don't get off the ship. We've got off the ship (s) in a couple of ports in the past and never spent any money. Personal choice.

Edited by davekathy

That's not what you said. You said, "A lot of cruisers stay on the ship because they don’t want to spend any $$$ onshore". How do you know what others are thinking or that's the reasons some don't get off the ship.We've got off the ship (s) in a couple of ports in the past and never spent any money. Personal choice.

You believe people don’t get off for monetary reasons? I do. I set with cruisers this weekend (including P’s). I asked about the Harmony Galley Brunch not having buffet any longer and serving off the lunch menu. Their general consensus was this, if it cost money, we don’t do it.

Sure you can get off and not spend money. Some of these ports are great shopping areas with better pricing and taxes.

Excursions are not free, Royal or Private. A Taxi to the other side or a particular place. A nice beach, a nice meal. All something many would like to do if it didn’t cost money.

Some ports are good shopping ports and some are good to just get out and visit.

You believe people don’t get off for monetary reasons? I do. I set with cruisers this weekend (including P’s). I asked about the Harmony Galley Brunch not having buffet any longer and serving off the lunch menu. Their general consensus was this, if it cost money, we don’t do it.

Sure you can get off and not spend money. Some of these ports are great shopping areas with better pricing and taxes.

Excursions are not free, Royal or Private. A Taxi to the other side or a particular place. A nice beach, a nice meal. All something many would like to do if it didn’t cost money.

Some ports are good shopping ports and some are good to just get out and visit.

I don't know the reasons so I can't answer that. That would be assuming. I can only speak for myself.

Edited by davekathy

Money or excursions have nothing to do with it. Do you have some sort of weird money fixation or something?

We are not big shoppers, even at home. And we certainly don't need any more souvenirs or junk to take back.

If there is an excursion or onboard activity (think Mystery Dinner) that we have done once...it is unlikely that we will do it again.

Truly, I do not know why I even bother to reply to your obnoxious comments instead of putting you on ignore.

While on Anthem in May we met a couple who had have been on Anthem 8 or 9 times (can't remember exactly), and already sailed the itinerary 5 times, so they stayed on the ship. They said they love it when nobody is on the boat and it's much easier to get a drink at the bar!

I asked them if they ever went on any other ships/itineraries, and it turns out they also sail out of the New York area being they live about 20 minutes from the port and hate flying + long drives. They said they just like getting away and being on the water. If I could take a cruise once a month I would too! Even If it went to the same place or not.

Just curious how many cruisers go on say a 7 night or longer cruise and just stayed on the ship the entire cruise. Either because you have been to the ports or just cruise for the ship and not for the stops. Thinking about this in the future.

Lots of people do not get off, just relaxing and enjoying the nearly empty ship. People get off to go to another pool and pay for it and pay for food, i will not understand that.

A lot of cruisers stay on the ship because they don’t want to spend any $$$ onshore.

I have met many who have cruised forever and know little to nothing about some ports except what they read in books.

I think that is quite sad

We love to cruise and do it often; however, we don't love the Caribbean. We don't care about the beaches, the trinkets available for purchase, etc. The excursions we thought we would enjoy we did a long time ago. We cruise for the shipboard experience, period, when we book a Caribbean cruise. If we book a cruise for another area, we get off if there is something we want to do, and there often is.

• 4 weeks later...

I am seriously considering staying on the ship during port days because yes, I don't want to spend any more money. This trip is costing us an arm and a leg, lol. We are a family of 5 (2 adults and 3 kids) first time cruisers. We sprung the extra $ for the suite so we have a nice room large enough for the 5 of us and purchased drink packages so we will have everything we should need on board. Why pay for food and drinks off ship when I have already paid for food, drinks, tips, and pool stuff on the ship?

We rarely if ever get off the ship in the Caribbean. Love the nearly empty ship on port days.

Unless it's a deep southern that's our plan also. Been there done that!! I remember our first cruise on Sitmar for our honeymoon and our dinner mates told us they were not getting off along the Mexican Riviera. We were dump founded they wouldn't get off. After 40 cruises we get it.