Alfredos's: Popularity/wait?

MrsEmmaPeel

Folks,

We'll be on our first Princess cruise (and only second on any line) in a few weeks on the Royal (UK itinerary). In looking over the dining options, our entire crew were really caught by Alfredo's. One thing I haven't seen is anyone commenting on it being busy/crowded or having a wait to be seated. In addition, in the dozens of cruise videos we've been scouring, we've only seen people walk right in. I know we plan to try it for lunch the day we embark, but I wanted to set my fellow travelers' expectations: does it tend to get a big line during embarkation day, or on most nights for dinner?

Thanks!

Lmb

There is rarely a wait for Alfredo's. Rarely at all. Only time I've ever eveb seen a line at all is on embarkation day, later in the afternoon around 2 or so. And even then, that's only been once in over 7 or 8 Royal/Regal sailings.

You should have zero problems going at whatever time you like. At worst, a few minutes wait.

The only time I’ve ever seen a wait is on sea days right around lunch time.

We love Alfredo’s, and there are some items beyond pizza that are excellent. The ravioli and the eggplant rollatini are delicious. Salads and antipasto very good and yummy tiramisu. Enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Many thanks, folks. My parents have never cruised and likely do not consider themselves buffet fans (I am expecting the Horizon Court may change their minds...), and so Alfredo's _immediately_ caught their eye. So I am thinking an Alfredo's lunch on embarkation will be a wonderful "welcome aboard" for them.

Many thanks, folks. My parents have never cruised and likely do not consider themselves buffet fans (I am expecting the Horizon Court may change their minds...), and so Alfredo's _immediately_ caught their eye. So I am thinking an Alfredo's lunch on embarkation will be a wonderful "welcome aboard" for them.

If you are early enough for the dining room (12-1:30), the first day is usually the best day.

I agree with the MDR. Get there early for check-in & the MDR opens at 12 noon. I great relaxing way to start your cruise. Save Alfredo’s for another day. Remember that the staff will tell you to go to the buffet.

If I board early I have time to drop off my Carry-On & walk around the ship before the dinning room opens.

Tom😎

The MDR has always been our choice for embarkation day lunch.....until recently that is. With the reduced choice menus we would probably choose Alfredo's if that choice was available. If you have sea days there are better choices in the MDR on those days. Also, the buffet on the Regal and Royal, while better than on other ships, is always available as well. Whatever your choice for lunch on embarkation day, have a wonderful cruise.

The crew will adamantly insist that the HC is the only place to get lunch on embarkation day but don't believe them. As noted Alfredo's will be open and a MDR (most likely Concerto on Fiesta deck 6) will be open from 12:00 noon to 1:30 PM. Since they will insist that no MDR is open, they usually will not tell you which one is open. Try the Concerto MDR on deck 6 first.

The MDR has always been our choice for embarkation day lunch.....until recently that is. With the reduced choice menus we would probably choose Alfredo's if that choice was available. If you have sea days there are better choices in the MDR on those days. Also, the buffet on the Regal and Royal, while better than on other ships, is always available as well. Whatever your choice for lunch on embarkation day, have a wonderful cruise.
On our 4 day coastal last November, all of the old favorites were on the menu.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

OP: The reason the MDR (main dining room) and Alfredo's aren't crowded on embarkation day is that the crew will direct everyone to go up to the buffet. If you don't know any better, you'll think that's the only place to eat.

Not true.

The crew will adamantly insist that the HC is the only place to get lunch on embarkation day but don't believe them. As noted Alfredo's will be open and a MDR (most likely Concerto on Fiesta deck 6) will be open from 12:00 noon to 1:30 PM. Since they will insist that no MDR is open, they usually will not tell you which one is open. Try the Concerto MDR on deck 6 first.

OP - you don't need to rely on/worry about what the crew tells you (although I've only been directed to the buffet once - in 2012 - in over 20 Princess cruises). As soon as you enter your cabin there will be a copy of the daily newsletter, the Princess Patter, on your desk or bed. Look at the dining section on the last page and it will tell you which dining room is opened on embarkation day and the hours (usually noon to 1:30 as noted above).

Folks,

We'll be on our first Princess cruise (and only second on any line) in a few weeks on the Royal (UK itinerary). In looking over the dining options, our entire crew were really caught by Alfredo's. One thing I haven't seen is anyone commenting on it being busy/crowded or having a wait to be seated. In addition, in the dozens of cruise videos we've been scouring, we've only seen people walk right in. I know we plan to try it for lunch the day we embark, but I wanted to set my fellow travelers' expectations: does it tend to get a big line during embarkation day, or on most nights for dinner?

Thanks!

Lmb

Every cruise is different.

Have always wondered why they do this?

On 3 cruises with 41 days on the Royal I do not believe I have ever seen a long line outside Alfredo’s. We have never personally waited longer than 5 minutes to be seated. For the last 2 cruises it was our definite go to on embarkation day. You should consider the buffet at some time on your cruise, as that is one of the upsides of the Royal class ships, but I would avoid it on embarkation.

I think we waited about 10 minutes never any longer. We went there for lunch or dinner and it was always soooo good. We cruised on the Royal Princess for three separate 20 day cruises.

Alfredo’s is excellent!!!

Tony

First off, I love your screen name Mrs. Peel.

I have been on Royal 5 times and never had a wait for a table at Alfredo's. It is run very efficiently. The Royal and Regal both have the BEST Horizon Courts (and Bistro) areas. It is laid out much much better than the older Princess ships. Also, more food choices available. The Bistro area has rotisserie chicken and sauteed veggies as well as make your own taco stuff.

Enjoy our cruise. I envy you as I am on a much much older ship in a few days

I like Alfredo's better than the MDR on embarkation day, mostly because you can get in and out in a half hour or so and start relaxing, exploring, unpacking, etc. In the MDR, you can easily spend 1 1/2 hours or more getting through courses.

The only time I've ever seen a wait was on a formal night when lots of people were drawn to Alfredo's as the only place to have a table-service meal without dressing for the MDR or paying for an upcharge venue.

Jim

I have found an answer that has worked finally on my last several cruises. I do my homework ahead of time and already know which dining room is open for embarkation lunch, but like to try this to see if it still works. If you ask, "Is the MDR open for lunch?", off to the buffet you will be headed. If you look them straight in the eye, and ask politely but firmly which MDR is open for lunch, they have not "lied" to me. Some have hesitated and then given me a smile, but I have always been told which is open.

So just do your homework and then try the above and see how it works for you!

As far as the Royal and other ships too, we like to eat in the MDR to start our cruises even with the limited menu. It usually has a couple decent items and it is quiet and just a nice way to start the cruise.

We usually eat at Alfredo's when we get back from a short tour or a walk around on our own around 12:30-1:30pm. It has never been that busy. I love their fresh salad, minestrone soup, and cheese pizza. The soup and especially the salad are fresh and not heavy. Though, if a coffee lover, please note that they do not serve coffee at Alfredo's. You will have to go to the IC, etc. to get that.

As far as the buffet goes, we are not buffet people. We tried it once and these are my thoughts on it. The selections of what to eat are amazing and not too bad in taste. But the horrible part is that if you like to look at all available it is spread out over such a wide area that by the time you get back to the table the food is lukewarm to cold and I hate that. The only solution is to get a little here and then up again and a little there and then up again, etc. and I do NOT like to do that to eat!!! But if that doesn't bother you at all and constantly looking for someone to refill your drink, then the Royal's buffet is a good choice, but I definitely would avoid it on embarkation day!!

Pooh

When on the Royal I had lunch twice at Alfredo's and was seated immediately, and on both occasions the dining room was nearly empty, to my surprise as the food is incredible. I told my dinner table mates how much I liked it and most of them thought it was a pay to eat venue, which may be why it is surprisingly easy to get seated!

Folks,

Two times I have seen wait/lines...

Lunch on sea days.

Dinner ... when anytime line is huge, people will go for a shorter line at Alfredo's.

Embarcation day? Most people haven't even figured out it is there, and doesn't have an extra charge.

We were warned one time when we ate at Alfredo's that the wait for a pizza was 30 minutes. I'm glad we were, because otherwise I would not have discovered the delicious agnolotti. It's my favorite dish on the expanded menu on the Royal and Regal. Sometimes now I'll get a vegetarian antipasto, the agnolotti, and then split a pizza with DH.

Www are platinum on Princess. On our last Regal cruise we were on the ship pretty early. We went right to Alfredo’s. It was full and we were told the wait would be about 30 minutes. We went to the buffet. For lunch and dinner the rest of the week we didn’t have any issues getting right in.

Folks,

Thanks!

Lmb

I've never had a wait but I am usually by myself or with one other person. You mentioned your "entire crew". How many is that? That could impact the wait time because many of the tables in Alfredo's are two tops.