Windjammer for Dinner

mawvkysc

But more specifically, it is LITERALLY the equivalent of a buffet
I constantly tell my students: The best, strongest sentences are not lengthy and full of fluff; rather, the best sentences are concise and to the point. In this case, delete most of the words:

It is a buffet.

Sometimes I get tired of the "dining" experience
Totally agree. While I enjoy the MDR, a lengthy dinner seven nights in a row can be "a bit much"; however, I can't say I love the WJ for dinner. We eat at the buffet because we're tired after an island stop or we just aren't up for -- as you say -- the "dining experience", but the WJ isn't as nice a dinner.

Having been turned away from the MDR - along with another 50 cruisers - supposedly because all those viewable empty tables were reserved, we ended up at WJ. Pleasant dining experience and we made the early show.

Fast forward to the next night - we are told we will get seated tonight but don’t expect to get a table the rest of the cruise. Slow service - we were the only table in that section being served.

Next night, ran into someone who was told he had to take a 5.30 reservation, nothing else was available. He caved in, booked the 5.30 for the whole cruise and then walked up to the reservations side. Was asked, do you have a reservation. He said yes. Sat down at 8pm the first two nights - his dining time of choice.

That third night we ended up having a late but great meal in the WJ and a good time was had by all. He never bothered to cancel his 5.30 reservation.

Ate in WJ remainder of the cruise. Attitude of staff left a less than memorable experience. On the other hand, had a nice cruise overall.

If I ran the MDR for ATD, it would be walk up and get a table OR open the table if over 15 minutes late. It was interesting on our last HAL cruise. We understood the table could be filled if we were fifteen minutes late. Arrived about ten minutes late, sat down and sipped our waiting iced tea. Up comes the maitre d with folks thinking they had our table. He continued on to the next available two top. Very few vacant tables were observed over that ten day cruise. Booked ATD for our next ten day HAL cruise, I want the flexibility around the itinerary to enjoy the sailaways from deck rather than the inside of the MDR.

Buffets are buffets. If there is a cooked to order area, that’s even better. I’ve never left most cruise dining rooms hungry - well, only once on Harmony at Coastal Kitchen. WJ to the rescue.

I found the windjammer to be better on Navigator then the mdr. One line even had the selection the mdr has. I enjoy it when it is less crowded explorer had a great dinner aswell

Great to know as we will be on the Navigator in December and not sure my brother or my kids will like the MDR.

WE like the social experience of dining at a large table and meeting new people, and you can get that in the MDR. However, we’ve also ended up with some table-mates that were not interesting, and even more unpleasant, with people who have strident opinions they insist on imposing on others. If my dining companions are pleasant and interesting, I really enjoy the MDR experience.

The WJ is a great alternative if we’ve had a long shore day or if we have been assigned to a table where we have nothing in common with table mates. The food is not a repeat of that at noon, and usually some of the evening’s choices from the MDR evening menu are available in the WJ. I prefer the salad choices in the WJ, as I can choose the variety of vegetables and quantity of dressing. Finally, if If I am travelling with my daughter, the WJ is ideal, as she can choose exactly what is best for her limited diet required by a medical condition. In the MDR she often has to consult carefully about the ingredients of some dishes and ask for special orders to have her food cooked differently. She can always find what she needs in the WJ.

I’ve started to gravitate more to WJ for dinner, for many of the reasons mentioned above. Here’s a few more:

No singing/dancing/wave your napkins “show” which I find annoying, disruptive and stupid. Ditto for the speech about the dining room staff. These have started to interrupt dinner on multiple nights and I’ve had enough of that.

No photographers intruding.

No waiters telling you how important it is to rate them a 10.

WJ has its own drawbacks, to be sure, but I smile most nights thinking of how I’m free of these particular pet peeves.

• Like 2

I think the atmosphere is great at night. Seldom crowded, good selections. Avoids having to deal with the MDR carousel and lines. Added benefit is it is not uncommon to see the captain and other officers there at night.

Is the atmosphere in Windjammer a little nicer at night? I thought I read somewhere that there are servers there at night. What do they do? It seems we would still go through the buffet line.

We just booked a mid November cruise and my mom said the travel agent never asked about a dining preference. So I'm afraid we'll end up with late seating. I don't think my dad will be too happy with eating that late. We're a party of 6. I wonder if we'll end up eating there some nights. (We really like eating in MDR too, even for breakfast )

• Like 2

Just got off the brilliance. Took our son to WJ on formal night before releasing him to adventure ocean. Husband and I dined in minstrel dining room our one and only night on this sailing. The selections and taste of the food that I picked at were way better in WJ and I found myself wishing I had just eaten with my son. Even the dessert offerings were better in WJ. Other than our specialties, we ended up with all other meals in WJ. The staff was fantastic and you could tell the management took pride in their venue.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 1 month later...

I've only done the Windjammer for dinner once in all of our cruises, and I can't remember the answer to my own question.

Besides turning down the lights and an improved menu (vs lunch), is there anything else they do in the Windjammer for dinner to help with the atmosphere?  Tablecloths?  Better plates?  Soothing background music?

Thanks,
Dan

my son and I always go to WJ for our "pre-dinner" dinner - have a few snacks, sample a bit, and check out the desserts.  After MDR, we sometimes return for dessert.  But if you see something you really, really like for dessert, ask for a plate and a cover and take it with you to MDR, as we lost out on a tasty looking pie as it was gone upon our return.

We just returned from Adventures of the Seas and had dinner a couple of evenings in the Windjammer.  It is very casual and not as busy as during the day.  It was a quicker meal for us, which was why we ate there.  Food was ok but nothing special.  Enjoy our 2 dinners in the main dining room.  Food was better and service was good. Ate in Giovanni's and Chops the other nights.  Great meals in both places, and more romantic.  Did breakfast the last morning in main dining room and wished we had eaten there more often and will do so next time. 

On 9/23/2018 at 3:18 AM, Secretlyfi said:

I’ve started to gravitate more to WJ for dinner, for many of the reasons mentioned above. Here’s a few more:

No singing/dancing/wave your napkins “show” which I find annoying, disruptive and stupid. Ditto for the speech about the dining room staff. These have started to interrupt dinner on multiple nights and I’ve had enough of that.

No photographers intruding.

No waiters telling you how important it is to rate them a 10.

WJ has its own drawbacks, to be sure, but I smile most nights thinking of how I’m free of these particular pet peeves.

Totally agree our thoughts also.The Windjammer we have found nearly always have exactly the same food items as the MDR but with many other selections.

We find the ambience in the evenings superb and always there have been helpful waiters around totally unrushed to clear tables and get drinks if required.

If you haven't tried it we think it's definitely worth a try although obviously it won't be for everyone.

But if you like it don't tell everyone we like the peace and quietness.

On 9/21/2018 at 7:23 PM, lenquixote66 said:

To reiterate or iterate ,when I am on a cruise I like to be served .To me the WJ is the equivalent of a cafeteria.

There's a big difference between a cafeteria vs buffet...don't confuse the two or any one else. :classic_huh:

I recently did a b-2-b on the Allure, first week was with the family and ate in MDR, 2nd week was just my wife and I and we ate in the Windjammer.  To me the Windjammer was a much better experience, same food as MDR, less hectic, wait staff provided drinks, and a much better selection of food items, plus a carving station each night. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JamesEM said:

I recently did a b-2-b on the Allure, first week was with the family and ate in MDR, 2nd week was just my wife and I and we ate in the Windjammer.  To me the Windjammer was a much better experience, same food as MDR, less hectic, wait staff provided drinks, and a much better selection of food items, plus a carving station each night. 

Surprisingly, Windjammer is quieter than the MDR too.:classic_smile:

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

Surprisingly, Windjammer is quieter than the MDR too.:classic_smile:

Totally agree.  Quieter, not as bright, no problems getting a table, eat only what you want, and a more relaxing atmosphere.  We have been going there a lot lately for dinner.  Walk in with a glass of wine and feel relaxed.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, island lady said:

Totally agree.  Quieter, not as bright, no problems getting a table, eat only what you want, and a more relaxing atmosphere.  We have been going there a lot lately for dinner.  Walk in with a glass of wine and feel relaxed.  

One evening after eating in the MDR we decided to check out the WJ before going to the show. The atmosphere was exactly what you described. This was on the Jewel. 

On 9/22/2018 at 10:29 PM, myacuna said:

Just got off the brilliance. Took our son to WJ on formal night before releasing him to adventure ocean. Husband and I dined in minstrel dining room our one and only night on this sailing. The selections and taste of the food that I picked at were way better in WJ and I found myself wishing I had just eaten with my son. Even the dessert offerings were better in WJ. Other than our specialties, we ended up with all other meals in WJ. The staff was fantastic and you could tell the management took pride in their venue.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

A big plus for Brilliance... You can eat outside at night. It's awesome. 

We have been opting to eat dinner in the WJ more often, especially on the Radiance Class ships. Great food selections as the WJ has themed nights and the selections of appetizers, entrees and desserts were fantastic. We had bowls of large shrimp, lobster, grilled meats and fish...............and yummy desserts. We are becoming quite casual cruisers and enjoy the laid back atmosphere.

Try it..............you just may like it!!!!

On our last two Jewel cruises, our son wanted to eat quickly and join his new friends at Adventure Ocean, so I took him to WJ for his dinner (we went to the MDR later).  The environment was as you describe it,  quieter, calmer, helpful staff, plenty of seating and no fellow passengers pushing and shoving for food (like breakfast and lunch).

11 hours ago, davekathy said:

One evening after eating in the MDR we decided to check out the WJ before going to the show. The atmosphere was exactly what you described. This was on the Jewel. 

I think that was how we discovered it...Bucky was looking for some later night desert and marveled how quiet and relaxing it was in there.  Too many "happy-tisers" in the lounge, with drinky-poos...appetite just not into full meal in the MDR.  :classic_happy:  Love just picking a few interesting items from the display and sitting peacefully off to the side to enjoy.  

• Like 1