Celebrity switched us to much smaller room without letting us know

mdpa

Celebrity changed our room to a much smaller room without telling us.

My family booked ocean view room 6000 on Millie towards the end of December for a January 2020 cruise for 3 people. We just booked our flights last weekend through Celebrity and when I looked online my room was changed to 6008 without being told.

I called our agent and she said it was switched because the room we selected is no longer rated for 3 people. Has this ever happened to anyone else??? We purposely chose room 6000 because the room looks to be about twice as large.

image.png.bc5798ca47462ea9598437838e58b965.png

If you look on Celebrity's website and look at the new Millie deck plans you will see the black square (indicating a sofa bed) is no longer on room 6000.  It's unfortunate no one made you aware that this change would occur when you booked your room as it applied to sailings from Feb. 9 and beyond.  I'm actually surprised they allowed you to book it as triple occupancy in the first place.  Celebrity knew full well last December that this change would occur.  Perhaps have a little chat with your TA.  Sounds like he/she and Celebrity dropped the ball on this one.

Thanks both for the replies. Our initial conversation with the TA didn't go well. She just kept saying, "well, officially they are the same size". Of course I already knew that. As I learned on this forum the cruise-lines tend to standardize the sizes claimed to minimize the hassles but the pictures are accurate. This room is much larger than normal just like the aft cabin we booked last year had a much larger deck.

Pic available online of Rm 6000

image.png.f424aab8b177e896517c9c49a4ffe0f4.png

You won’t like this, i know I wouldn’t BUT - the cruise contract we all agree to allows them to change your cabin. Choice of cabin is very important to many of us, yet we aren’t guaranteed to get the one we want. Usually we do, but not always. It sounds like they had a valid reason to change yours though, sorry it happened.

Found this about 6000:

"Booked this cabin based on deck plan drawings, wanted some extra space and it was really a great sized room for two singles...little sitting area inside the window which was nice, very spacious.

HOWEVER, the 3rd nite of the cruise around midnite very loud bass 'thumping' began and continued on, even with continued calls to front desk. Apparently the crew 'disco' was on deck 5 in same vicinity and this happened every nite from midnite on. Very loud, continued every nite...:eek:

Ended up getting moved to another cabin...:cool:"

• Haha 1

Odd that the larger rm with the  cutout area was rated for 2 while the other one is rated for 3. 

If X did not notify your TA when the assigned room was changed, that  would be awful customer service  on their part.   If X promptly notified  your TA who did not inform you...would not use again. 

Any changes should be made known to customers so they can re consider options,  What if you were sailing next to relatives next door ?

We book directly  with X and check our res weekly to make sure no  changes are on the res.

NOTE ......on EDGE,  we  and others had long standing  specialty dining res times  in Fine Cut and Eden, changed without  any notice.  Fine Cut mgment  got "huffy" when we cancelled after finding out.  One  family group of 6  who we met, was split to 2 diff dining times and EDEN mgmt could not see why that would be a problem...duh!

Hope not seeing a bad trend here!

This is happening a lot. In order to free up additional capacity for the new rooms added during drydock, Celebrity had to reduce the capacity of several existing rooms. Yours is one of them.

Celebrity shouldn't have allowed you to book this cabin in the first place. It is a lack of planning on their part. Now they have to scramble to fix the mess they themselves created.

Your travel agent is in the middle. They can only pass along what Celebrity says to them. Is there any way for you to talk to Celebrity directly?

They will probably tell you the room is the same size (even though we know better), but perhaps you can make your case stronger by saying how much you wanted a forward-facing room. No one can dispute that you have been moved from a forward-facing room to a side-facing room. Perhaps they will work with you on that.

Technically, Celebrity can move you into any room of the same category that they want to. It's in the contract. However, the last thing a customer-focused company like Celebrity wants to have is a passenger to have a negative opinion of the cruise before the cruise even starts--especially when it is due to a shortcoming on their part. Keep trying.

Had friends in cabin 6001 on an Alaska cruise. Noise was awful. We can confirm the crew disco below this area. We told our friends who weren't regular Celebrity cruisers to politely complain about the noise. The purser's desk relocated them to an A-1 cabin for the remainder of the cruise. We can also confirm that cabins 6001 and 6000 are much larger than the surrounding cabins.

4 hours ago, mdpa said:

Thanks both for the replies. Our initial conversation with the TA didn't go well. She just kept saying, "well, officially they are the same size". Of course I already knew that. As I learned on this forum the cruise-lines tend to standardize the sizes claimed to minimize the hassles but the pictures are accurate. This room is much larger than normal just like the aft cabin we booked last year had a much larger deck.

Pic available online of Rm 6000

image.png.f424aab8b177e896517c9c49a4ffe0f4.png

Amusing...I took that picture of cabin 6000 on Summit in 2010.  Yes, it is on Photobucket, which I no longer use.  EM

My travel agent just me yesterday to tell me Celebrity had to change my room next month because after Summit drydock the 4 cabin room was needed due to reconfigurations.  They moved us to the same category room a deck above and gave us a $100 onboard credit

24 minutes ago, deb1eric said:

My travel agent just me yesterday to tell me Celebrity had to change my room next month because after Summit drydock the 4 cabin room was needed due to reconfigurations.  They moved us to the same category room a deck above and gave us a $100 onboard credit

I appreciate the update. That sounds reasonable. Notify the customer of the change...and provide some kind of nominal good will gesture. In many cases "guarantee" cabins are a little cheaper than the same category where you choose a specific cabin.

Edited by mdpa

22 hours ago, cjc23 said:

Where can i find out which cabins will change on Equinox following the refurb?

we are booked in 7204 (cat 2B) which accomodates 4 and hoping we wont be impacted!

I have not seen any deck plans for Equinox.    Summit can be extrapolated by looking at Millennium.

The fleet guide implies that the changes will be

Add  1 each  Reflection Suite

Add  5 each Signature Suites

Add 8   each Interior Cabins

Passenger load

2 Passengers Cabins    2,852  to 2,880 people   implies 14 cabins (28 pax)  will be reclassified

3-4 Passengers             296 to 268 

12030112_CEL_FleetGuide.pdf

• Like 1

Just wondering what would have happened if they did NOT change your cabin?

The three of you show up and have a room that sleeps 2....

THAT would have been a disaster. 

I still wonder whether celebrity or the TA failed to notify you, but still the cabin change is in your best interest.

On 2/22/2019 at 2:07 PM, deb1eric said:

This is how things should be handled. Everyone wins. Celebrity wins by fixing their mistake for a nominal cost. The passenger wins by getting a similar room and a small token for their inconvenience.

On 2/22/2019 at 5:50 AM, justcrusn said:

You won’t like this, i know I wouldn’t BUT - the cruise contract we all agree to allows them to change your cabin. Choice of cabin is very important to many of us, yet we aren’t guaranteed to get the one we want. Usually we do, but not always. It sounds like they had a valid reason to change yours though, sorry it happened.

Agree That's why we book early to ensure we get the cabin of our choice. Especially when doing B2B cruises. I did not know that. I'll have to start reading my cruise contract. At least Celebrity should give a courtesy call to inform of a stateroom change in the case of the OP.

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 1

On 2/22/2019 at 12:07 PM, deb1eric said:

That's what I would expect to be the procedure. Nice you received a little compensation for the move also. 

I don’t believe that the Celebrity Department reconfiguring the Millenium communicated the plan to reduce the number of cabins to their reservation department on time. I would be curious to find out when exactly that decision was made final.

On our Alaska cruise, June 2018, we booked on board an asian cruise on Millie for March 2020. A nice C1 aft.

We were only advised in December that our room could no longer accept 3. We were placed in a guaranteed C1. ... In February, looking at what I thought was the new deck plan, I became concerned as to where a guaranteed C1... would bring us. (The deck plan I looked at was incorrect). In the process though, I have learned that, C1, Aqua, and one of the two types of Sky suites were no longer accommodating 3 persons.

The other type of Sky suites was fully booked... So an upgrade from C1, would have brought us all the way up to a Royal Suite, which was not an option from X’s perspective.

Another call to my TA and quite a bit of discussion occurred to find an acceptable solution for all involved. 

Ultimately, Celebrity came through for us and we are happy with the outcome...

Based on this experience though, my conclusion is that Celebrity personnel continued to book the ship in accordance with the old configuration quite late in the process. The only logical conclusion would be that the decision to add new cabin and reconfigure (reduce the number of cabins with a capacity of 3 or 4) cabins, was a more recent decision.

They were continuing to let people book Millennium and Summit quite late before announcing the drydocks, too.  I was booted from a Summit cruise that I had booked just a few weeks before.  They surely knew at that point that cancellations would be forthcoming across the fleet, but they always pretend that it's business as usual until a formal announcement is made.  To add insult to injury, the price-protected replacement cruises were not equivalent experiences so you got the privilege of paying more if you wanted a trip for the same dates on a different ship.

35 minutes ago, bEwAbG said:

They were continuing to let people book Millennium and Summit quite late before announcing the drydocks, too.  I was booted from a Summit cruise that I had booked just a few weeks before.  They surely knew at that point that cancellations would be forthcoming across the fleet, but they always pretend that it's business as usual until a formal announcement is made.  To add insult to injury, the price-protected replacement cruises were not equivalent experiences so you got the privilege of paying more if you wanted a trip for the same dates on a different ship.

Interesting

People who got booted off of several months of sailings because of dry docks--of those--several have booked  sailing we are o.

They got a list from X of commensurate value sailings PLUS OBC for their trouble. All of this way before any flights--so no harm no foul....

I find it odd that they (Celebrity) did not inform you or your TA of the room / cabin change... I would be very annoyed if I had booked a certain cabin / room then board the cruise only to find they have changed our cabin / room....

• Like 1