One Main Course

djhsolara

5 hours ago, Hawaiidan said:

Ok,  you tell me what is the per-diem  on HAL for the cabins below ocean view ?   I was  using the figures that others provided, Thats all.     

Do you mean that at a $66 fare one can expect a much larger per day actual outlay due to all the "added , expected, charges encountered" ?       Help me.

On the other hand, when you get cabins above ocean view your paying more than many  inclisive or semi-inclusive lines...   very exhorbant in comparison, for what you get.  

$66 per person per day is unrealistically low and I have never been able to come close.  In fact, you may be the only person who has paid such a low price.  I have been on 6 HAL cruises and my average cost has been about $250 per day per person!  These are 7-night cruises.  For this price, I expect a free entree whenever I want it!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Just because YOU scored a great deal does not mean that $66 per day is anywhere near the standard per diem for a HAL cruise -- a point you seem to keep forgetting.

On the HAL website splash page there is a link to: 

Top 10 Sailings. This week's best values!

The average daily price for an inside cabin for these cruises, ranging from 7 to 22 days, is $65.92. Of course, that's the per person cost, so you are quite right, Hawaiidan definitely scored a good deal if he really secured a1/2 price booking for a total of only $66 per day for the cabin. Of course, even at $132 a day,  the price of these inside cabins is nowhere near the average per diem on HAL.

17 minutes ago, OlsSalt said:

Glad you picked the Noordam - still has the old Vista library space from what I heard.  Glad to hear you are back cruising. Your trip report will be very welcomed since you have probably the HAL cruising and CC longevity award.

Yes, a long cruise with many at-sea days without the formal  HAL library space and inventory is my own deal breaker.  Not a matter of brining along books, it is loss the serendipitous reading discovery - the "sampler" plate of books I did not even know would capture my interest, or books that I missed reading the first time around - hats off to those "old inventory" items that now predominate the ghosts of the former HAL library spaces. 

Noordam has a lot of significance to S7S. She and her husband represented all HAL Mariners at her naming ceremony in New York City harbor on February 22, 2006

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, OlsSalt said:

. Your trip report will be very welcomed since you have probably the HAL cruising and CC longevity award.

58 minutes ago, VennDiagram said:

I think that may belong to Krazy Kruizers.

Actually, I think RuthC has been sailing on HAL longer than both of them 🙂. And always adds values to these forums 😉

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sail7seas said:

La c k of libraries and charge for extra entree at dinner are  quite different 'issues'.   

I don't care if they cut portion sizes,  since  they gave up on  having cast members in library, I gave up on it.  I will take far more than that to make me a 'landlubber.'    I'll  go for my first cruise alone  (since losing my dh, I sailed with friends aboard in their own cabins.  )   This time it will be just me.     Hope it goes well.     I t will take far more than a  disappointing library  to wreck my cruise.  I'll  bring my own reading material.  Easy enough to do these days.

sail.noordam@gmail.com

Wishing you a wonderful cruise.  

6 hours ago, sail7seas said:

I did not   read  any posters here threatening ( or promising)  to leave HAL  because of the new $10  charge.  Perhaps I missed it?

sail.noordam@gmail.com

Yes, there are.   You just have to read.  But you should know by now that there will be people who ***** and moan and threaten to leave HAL at every little change...

2 hours ago, kazu said:

Actually, I think RuthC has been sailing on HAL longer than both of them 🙂. And always adds values to these forums 😉

Why, thank you for saying so, Jacqui. I try.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, BCCRUSINGCOUPLE said:

I don’t think the 10 bucks will have people move on however I wouldn’t be more concerned on what they will be doing next to get more out of you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree and I will not leave HAL over this either. If this test goes fleetwide it will probably go to all of the Carnival brands soon. This is like when the first airline (do not remember which one) started charging for checked luggage, it wasn't much longer before all airlines followed, now it just the norm for all air travel except some international flights. Some airlines like Spirit  even charge for carryon bags. There are many more things we take for granted on cruise ships that could come under the "lets charge for that too" scrutiny, all room service is what I see that could be next.

20 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

I agree and I will not leave HAL over this either. If this test goes fleetwide it will probably go to all of the Carnival brands soon. This is like when the first airline (do not remember which one) started charging for checked luggage, it wasn't much longer before all airlines followed, now it just the norm for all air travel except some international flights. Some airlines like Spirit  even charge for carryon bags. There are many more things we take for granted on cruise ships that could come under the "lets charge for that too" scrutiny, all room service is what I see that could be next.

I guess we'd better hope, then, that HAL does not follow Princess's example and remove any comfortable seating from cabins below suite level. :classic_mellow:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cruisemom42 said:

I guess we'd better hope, then, that HAL does not follow Princess's example and remove any comfortable seating from cabins below suite level. :classic_mellow:

HAL has already started that, though. There is no place to sit in the inside cabins on the Pinnacle class ships. Baby steps, but steps nonetheless.

9 hours ago, BCCRUSINGCOUPLE said:

I don’t think the 10 bucks will have people move on however I wouldn’t be more concerned on what they will be doing next to get more out of you.

Sadly, we probably will, especially if it becomes fleet wide. Obviously that's not the only reason, but it's the cumulative effect and I'm sure there are more passenger unfriendly changes coming.

That particular fee makes me pay for something that is supposedly in place to limit waste, but we don't waste food. It penalizes my husband and I because he orders 2 mains but doesn't eat a soup, a salad or a dessert. I mainly eat just the entree and occasionally a dessert. So, we are being asked to financially supplement the couple next to us that ate 2 four course meals or the person that orders heaps of food and doesn't eat it. How is that equitable?

If the fee isn't to limit waste, then it should be just an additional fee to eat, period. Just charge people like they do when you eat in the alternative dining venues. Which, by the way, will be here before you know it, especially if you don't push back when they try to implement things you don't agree with.  

Please leave off the business discussion when you reply. There are plenty of those closing their doors because they refused to make their decisions palatable to their customers. The customer used to be King, but sadly most have forgotten that.

We had just returned to HAL in 2018 after deciding to try them again since they no longer allowed smoking on the balconies. We did 2 14 night cruises last year and purchased 4 FCD but I'm finding it hard to find cruises and ships I want to sail for various reasons. 

Cruising is changing but it's not for the better, in my opinion.

• Like 2

On 3/8/2019 at 6:37 PM, foodsvcmgr said:

For the record, no $10 charge was listed on any menu for KONINGSDAM 10 day cruise that we disembarked Wednesday.

I was offered a second piece of halibut one night by the waiter and one night my wife requested additional shrimp, no charge.

There were listings each night for a $20 Lobster and $36 tomahawk steak as upcharge items to the MDR menu though.

So if this test becomes a policy on all ships you then will have to ask the waiter if the halibut will cost an addition $10. And no extra shrimp unless you are willing to pay. 

I will likely cancel my NA cruise if this becomes fleet wide. I seldom order a second entree - mainly when the first one is not as described in the menu and tastes terrible or the portion size is just too smalI - like the piece of halibut on an Alaskan cruise that literally was one inch square.  

Ican afford the $10, as can my two sons, but I simply don't want to sail on a cruise line that is going the "nickel and dime" route. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, terrydtx said:

This is like when the first airline (do not remember which one) started charging for checked luggage, it wasn't much longer before all airlines followed, now it just the norm for all air travel except some international flights.

Same goes for the (long gone) in-flight meals that used to be included in your (Coach) fare back in the day. Remember those?

• Like 2

18 hours ago, ChinaShrek said:

$66 per person per day is unrealistically low and I have never been able to come close.  In fact, you may be the only person who has paid such a low price.  I have been on 6 HAL cruises and my average cost has been about $250 per day per person!  These are 7-night cruises.  For this price, I expect a free entree whenever I want it!

I cruise solo since loosing my husband. I pay double 

An inside cabin on Voyage of the Vikings is $16,000. A balcony starts at $22,000. Zuiderdam . I am in an inside cabin!

I contacted HALand YES a second entree will be $10! 

Final payment due very soon. This may push me to cancel! Enough is enough!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Windsailer said:

Ican afford the $10, as can my two sons, but I simply don't want to sail on a cruise line that is going the "nickel and dime" route. 

Good luck finding a cruise line in HAL's class that hasn't adopted similar policies, whether starting to charge for room service or increasing the price of drinks so that they are no longer available with a beverage package.  

• Like 2

Sadly, we probably will, especially if it becomes fleet wide. Obviously that's not the only reason, but it's the cumulative effect and I'm sure there are more passenger unfriendly changes coming.

That particular fee makes me pay for something that is supposedly in place to limit waste, but we don't waste food. It penalizes my husband and I because he orders 2 mains but doesn't eat a soup, a salad or a dessert. I mainly eat just the entree and occasionally a dessert. So, we are being asked to financially supplement the couple next to us that ate 2 four course meals or the person that orders heaps of food and doesn't eat it. How is that equitable?

If the fee isn't to limit waste, then it should be just an additional fee to eat, period. Just charge people like they do when you eat in the alternative dining venues. Which, by the way, will be here before you know it, especially if you don't push back when they try to implement things you don't agree with.  

Please leave off the business discussion when you reply. There are plenty of those closing their doors because they refused to make their decisions palatable to their customers. The customer used to be King, but sadly most have forgotten that.

We had just returned to HAL in 2018 after deciding to try them again since they no longer allowed smoking on the balconies. We did 2 14 night cruises last year and purchased 4 FCD but I'm finding it hard to find cruises and ships I want to sail for various reasons. 

Cruising is changing but it's not for the better, in my opinion.

I truly don’t feel it is about waste you can go to the Buffett I think it’s then just trying to have a bette bottom
Line

47 minutes ago, KroozNut said:

Same goes for the (long gone) in-flight meals that used to be included in your (Coach) fare back in the day. Remember those?

We flew on American from DFW to Rome last May. We tried the new  Premium Economy class and loved it. We had a very nice 4 course dinner with real china and metal eating utensils. I felt sorry for the  poor people behind us in coach who were eating their dinners out of a box in their laps, my wife says we never fly anything lower than PE internationally again. I am afraid after out cruise this July in a SS we will never be able to do any lower class cabins again on any cruise.

27 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

Good luck finding a cruise line in HAL's class that hasn't adopted similar policies, whether starting to charge for room service or increasing the price of drinks so that they are no longer available with a beverage package.  

We'll manage. There are other cruise lines out there that will meet our needs. But HAL is losing my two sons as future cruisers - they will be cruising long after I am gone. And I certainly spend money on board. On our last cruise I had a Retreat Cabana for 19 days - FLL to SEA. We planned on having a cabana on the NA as well. HAL will be losing that as well. All for $10? And for the questionable "we are trying to decrease food waste" reason?

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

I agree that the industry is headed that way, but they can head that way without me. I don't HAVE to go on a cruise. Do I enjoy it? I did for about 40 years but, I'm beginning not to because every time I book one, they tack on another fee or take something away from my experience.   

Surely, most people have a line in the sand?

If you don't, then you have an extra cabin available to invite one of your friends.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wombatKY said:

I agree that the industry is headed that way, but they can head that way without me. I don't HAVE to go on a cruise. Do I enjoy it? I did for about 40 years but, I'm beginning not to because every time I book one, they tack on another fee or take something away from my experience.   

As my cruising life is winding down, I feel blessed that I was able to cruise so much when cruising was so much different than it is now. Not to mention what it is becoming.

Cruising when I started was a real get-away, with very limited means to get in touch with the outside world. It was a true way to relax. It was an elegant, refined way to spend sea days, with interesting and fun activities. Passengers truly were made to feel like guests. Food was delicious, varied, and there was plenty of it. People were outgoing, friendly, and went far outside the insular groups we see aboard today. The only 'rule' we were given to follow was "There are no strangers on board; there are only friends". People acted that way, too.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, RuthC said:

As my cruising life is winding down, I feel blessed that I was able to cruise so much when cruising was so much different than it is now. Not to mention what it is becoming.

Cruising when I started was a real get-away, with very limited means to get in touch with the outside world. It was a true way to relax. It was an elegant, refined way to spend sea days, with interesting and fun activities. Passengers truly were made to feel like guests. Food was delicious, varied, and there was plenty of it. People were outgoing, friendly, and went far outside the insular groups we see aboard today. The only 'rule' we were given to follow was "There are no strangers on board; there are only friends". People acted that way, too.

Ahhhhhhh, that's more like a real vacation, isn't it? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wombatKY said:

Surely, most people have a line in the sand?

If you don't, then you have an extra cabin available to invite one of your friends.

For many years, DW and I spent our winter get away vacations diving and enjoying Caribbean resorts, mostly all inclusive. We considered cruises, but kept thinking that the cruise lines were gouging the passengers. Paying for "specialty" restaurants; charging for drinks; even asking passengers who had paid thousands for their cruise to pay for soft drinks. We eventually decided to give it a try in spite of this pricing strategy and have enjoyed cruising ever since. This $10 charge really doesn't upset us as much as many others here because see it as a simple continuation of a trend that has existed for many years, since before we started cruising.

• Like 2