One Main Course

djhsolara

2 hours ago, RuthC said:

As my cruising life is winding down, I feel blessed that I was able to cruise so much when cruising was so much different than it is now. Not to mention what it is becoming.

Cruising when I started was a real get-away, with very limited means to get in touch with the outside world. It was a true way to relax. It was an elegant, refined way to spend sea days, with interesting and fun activities. Passengers truly were made to feel like guests. Food was delicious, varied, and there was plenty of it. People were outgoing, friendly, and went far outside the insular groups we see aboard today. The only 'rule' we were given to follow was "There are no strangers on board; there are only friends". People acted that way, too.

I certainly don't have as much cruising history as you do, RuthC, but HAD to say "thank you" for that remembrance of cruise days gone by -- I smiled thinking of some of the wonderful people we met, during relaxed, wonderful dinners -- dining stewards had (I think) 4 tables to look after, as did the assistant stewards.  And yes, as you mention, not only was the food interesting, our fellow passengers were, too ❤️

• Like 2

On 2/24/2019 at 7:39 PM, rkacruiser said:

I have been.  Not just two entrees, but other items as well.  A woman at our table was a severe over-order.  Her husband did not follow her example, but she would almost always order several of the entrees, take a bite or two or three--that's it.  The waste of food was obscene in my mind.   The Steward would then serve the next item.  I was seated at a table for 7, second seating, and we never made it out of dinner in time to see the full show except for once on a 14 day cruise.

Roz:  it happens, as God is my witness.

If charging $10 stops this kind of behavior, I am all for it.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, whogo said:

If charging $10 stops this kind of behavior, I am all for it.

whogo,

Kindly look at my CC signature on my post.  What dining room behavior I described on this one cruise is extraordinarily atypical from any of my other cruises.

It's this "experimental" $10 charge for another entree in the MDR that is atypical.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, RuthC said:

HAL has already started that, though. There is no place to sit in the inside cabins on the Pinnacle class ships. Baby steps, but steps nonetheless.

Haven't sailed any Pinnacle class ships yet, but have recently sailed inside cabins on Vista (Oosterdam) and Signature (Eurodam) class. We had no problem with comfortable places to sit on either of these vessels; both had a couch and at least one or two chairs.

24 minutes ago, KroozNut said:

Haven't sailed any Pinnacle class ships yet, but have recently sailed inside cabins on Vista (Oosterdam) and Signature (Eurodam) class. We had no problem with comfortable places to sit on either of these vessels; both had a couch and at least one or two chairs.

The Koningsdam was the first HAL ship (excluding the Prinsendam, which wasn't designed as a HAL ship) that didn't have a love seat, or at least a chair, in the inside cabins. The Nieuw Statendam continued this change.
Other than the Prinsendam, most HAL inside cabins have both. Fewer love seats on the Vista/Signature ships, though. Even the newer insides on the Prinsendam, the cabins HAL added, have a love seat

• Like 1

As one of the passengers that will be included in this so called "test" (cash grab) on the NA in late March, I am extremely unhappy. Not because this will affect me monetarily wise, but the fact that HAL made no mention of this when I paid for the cruise. I expect to pay for the specialty restaurants/drink packages, etc, but not if by chance on one of the dinner nights, I feel like having a 2nd entree from their hit and miss MDR menu.

If HAL wants to properly test this out, they should give adequate notice to prospective cruisers on when and which ships would be affected. That way, people can book a cruise being fully informed. What HAL has done is cr*ppy business practice. I am surprised that not more people are looking at this as a bait and switch tactic from HAL.

• Like 2

Just off Oosterdam.

On one of the gala nights ($10 for extra entree), my wife wanted a lobster tail to go with her veal chop rather than the "surf and turf" entree.   The entire surf and turf entree was brought to our table and we were charged $10.

I actually ordered the surf and turf.  The lobster tail was actually pretty good.  The "turf" may have been the worst steak I have ever had.  It had the appearance of a 6 oz fillet that had been slice in thirds.

I complained to the maitre d who was sympathetic but offered nothing.

7 hours ago, SJunie said:

I am surprised that not more people are looking at this as a bait and switch tactic from HAL.

As HAL has never stated that you are entitled to a free second main course, they really can't be accused of using a bait and switch tactic. Besides, if you take the time to read all the fine print in your cruise contract, you'll find that HAL can make changes to just about anything at just about any time. That port that you were dying to see and was the main reason that you booked your cruise? Well, HAL can change the itinerary at the last minute for any number of reasons and you have no recourse. This isn't just HAL, but industry wide.

7 hours ago, SJunie said:

As one of the passengers that will be included in this so called "test" (cash grab) on the NA in late March, I am extremely unhappy. Not because this will affect me monetarily wise, but the fact that HAL made no mention of this when I paid for the cruise. I expect to pay for the specialty restaurants/drink packages, etc, but not if by chance on one of the dinner nights, I feel like having a 2nd entree from their hit and miss MDR menu.

If HAL wants to properly test this out, they should give adequate notice to prospective cruisers on when and which ships would be affected. That way, people can book a cruise being fully informed. What HAL has done is cr*ppy business practice. I am surprised that not more people are looking at this as a bait and switch tactic from HAL.

They probably wanted to slip this in "under the radar," knowing that it would be unpopular and might affect bookings--people might avoid the "test" ships and book a different ship. Doing it sort of last minute means they will have a typical passenger population to use as test subjects.

I hope HAL does some serious data collecting on this "test." Will there be fewer second orders compared to other ships/cruises? Will fewer people go to the MDR? Will the Lido see more food served?  Or is the only data to be collected "how much money did we rake in tonight?"

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder

8 minutes ago, CruiseRQA said:

On one of the gala nights ($10 for extra entree), my wife wanted a lobster tail to go with her veal chop rather than the "surf and turf" entree.   The entire surf and turf entree was brought to our table and we were charged $10.

On our last cruise on the NA, I did the exact same thing with my veal chop and of course no $10 charge or complaints from the server. My wife had the steak with her lobster that she couldn't eat as it was overcooked and tough. She just ordered a second lobster tail. This was probably the only time I can remember ordering a second entrée on any cruise. I have sent some back because they were under or over cooked, but that shouldn't be the same thing as ordering a second entrée, but going forward who knows.

Edited by terrydtx

9 minutes ago, CruiseRQA said:

Just off Oosterdam.

I actually ordered the surf and turf.  The lobster tail was actually pretty good.  The "turf" may have been the worst steak I have ever had.  It had the appearance of a 6 oz fillet that had been slice in thirds.

How did they handle the extra charge? Did the waiter ask for her cruise card when your wife ordered the extra lobster tail?

48 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

How did they handle the extra charge? Did the waiter ask for her cruise card when your wife ordered the extra lobster tail?

He explained that the extra entree would be $10 and as I was not to deny my wife her hoped for lobster tail, we said okay and he took our card.

Edited by CruiseRQA

9 hours ago, SJunie said:

Where in the cruise contract did HAL specifically notice passengers they could order as much food in unlimited quantities as they wished, regardless of whether they consumed it or not? Or are you relying on some personal perception of an unwritten sea-going tradition. All things in moderation is probably the better consideration to start with, noticed or not.

Edited by OlsSalt

1 hour ago, OlsSalt said:

Where in the cruise contract did HAL specifically notice passengers they could order as much food in unlimited quantities as they wished, regardless of whether they consumed it or not? Or are you relying on some personal perception of an unwritten sea-going tradition. All things in moderation is probably the better consideration to start with, noticed or not.

For years, you were allowed to order extra or even encouraged by waiters to 'try' a little piece of 'this'.  The cruise lines set the expectation.

It didn't need to be in the contract but I do believe it says food is included. 😉 

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, kazu said:

For years, you were allowed to order extra or even encouraged by waiters to 'try' a little piece of 'this'.  The cruise lines set the expectation.

It didn't need to be in the contract but I do believe it says food is included. 😉 

No problem assuming "food is included". The issue under discussion is whether "unlimited" food is included and whether this change deserves upfront passenger notice if it is not. .

There is a difference between informal operating procedure and offiicial policy. Used to be informal operating procedure was to not scrupulously bother with the wine punch cards for every glass. We were surprised how casual some of the waiters would be about that. When we mentioned this oversight to the waiters, they  just kind of laughed it off.  The informal "policy" that indicated was the wine is on us. 

Then they got much stricter about wine policies, but I don't remember getting any official notice of this change. It just happened, and it was understood the prior more informal use of punch cards was  just a bit too  lax. Seemed very fair to us. This was a revenue commodity and it deserved its proper charging.

Edited by OlsSalt

4 hours ago, CruiseRQA said:

Just off Oosterdam.

Finally, I have been waiting to hear from passengers who actually experienced the “test”.  Thanks for sharing. 

What was the mood / discussions  on board?  Did it seem like folks were upset with this change (aka “test”) or did they take it in stride?

2 hours ago, OlsSalt said:

No problem assuming "food is included". The issue under discussion is whether "unlimited" food is included and whether this change deserves upfront passenger notice if it is not. .

There is a difference between informal operating procedure and offiicial policy. Used to be informal operating procedure was to not scrupulously bother with the wine punch cards for every glass. We were surprised how casual some of the waiters would be about that. When we mentioned this oversight to the waiters, they  just kind of laughed it off.  The informal "policy" that indicated was the wine is on us. 

Then they got much stricter about wine policies, but I don't remember getting any official notice of this change. It just happened, and it was understood the prior more informal use of punch cards was  just a bit too  lax. Seemed very fair to us. This was a revenue commodity and it deserved its proper charging.

All due respect but I feel that comparison is a bit flawed. The wine cards had an official policy (of counting each glass as a punch) but the waiters just weren’t following it. There was never a policy of charging for an extra entree that people were breaking. It was always implied (and yes often encouraged) that one could order as much as one wanted. This has been the case as long as I’ve been cruising and likely long before my mere 36 years of age. 

I do agree with you that it can’t really be considered “bait and switch” in a legal sense since, as you correctly stated, there is nothing contractually stating one can have unlimited entrees. However, that doesn’t preclude it from being a bad business decision; obviously people are upset about it and customer impressions are almost everything in the hospitality business. This is not hospitable. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CruiseRQA said:

Just off Oosterdam.

So they dynamics between the MDR diners and the waiters will change - and not for the better. The days of the waiter offering another lobster tail and the diner saying "sure" will be gone. For no charge.  Rather, what we will see is the waiter offering another lobster tail, the diner asking if there is a $10 charge, the waiter sadly says "yes",  the diner saying "heck no I don't want another one then" and the diner being unhappy. Is that really how HAL wants its customers to feel? All for $10? And where does the "food waste" argument come into play here?  I must be missing that part. 

Edited by Windsailer
Add words
  • Like 1