Royal will be allowed into Glacier Bay

Hi all!

I was reading Royal Caribbean Blog the other day and a post came up about Glacier Bay. It was announced that RCI has been given permission in the 2019-2029 Alaska seasons that ships will be allowed into Glacier Bay. My question is, do we think they will alter current itineraries to travel to Glacier Bay instead of what current sailings are doing? I'm interested to see anyone's speculations on the topic! 

22 minutes ago, jholzhauser said:

Hi all!

I was reading Royal Caribbean Blog the other day and a post came up about Glacier Bay. It was announced that RCI has been given permission in the 2019-2029 Alaska seasons that ships will be allowed into Glacier Bay. My question is, do we think they will alter current itineraries to travel to Glacier Bay instead of what current sailings are doing? I'm interested to see anyone's speculations on the topic! 

Oh interesting, I'm curious to see how this changes things!

IIRC the contract starts October 2019 so no impacts this year.  Next year is another story. 

Unclear how the 153 summer "use days" at GLBA will be divided up across the RCCL family.   Only time will tell.

6 minutes ago, twangster said:

Unclear how the 153 summer "use days" at GLBA will be divided up across the RCCL family.   Only time will tell.

Good point, 153 may not be much at all when you start dividing it by ships across the Royal family!

I'm super hoping for a 2020 itinerary change. I'm on Ovation June 2020. Glad for the update on 2019 though! I'm excited to see if there are changes because I've been to Glacier Bay before on Princess and it is gorgeous! I'd love for my husband to be able to see it when we go. 

• Like 1

I'm really hoping they update/change some itineraries for 2020 as well! We're currently booked in July on Serenade for Alaska, but I would gladly pay to change to a different itinerary if Glacier Bay isn't added to our current one. 

Royal Caribbean received permission to enter Glacier Bay in Alaska from end of 2019 in time for summer season 2020.

I am surprised that this topic has not been discussed further yet. Will they change currently scheduled itineraries for Serenade, Radiance and/or Ovation? Has anyone heard any rumors or news?

For me this would improve the routing especially for Ovation but also for Serenade! 

• Clarea changed the title to Royal will be allowed into Glacier Bay
On 4/1/2019 at 1:29 PM, ShillyShally said:

Good point, 153 may not be much at all when you start dividing it by ships across the Royal family!

Royal includes Celebrity and Azamara.

I would love to book a cruise on either Royal or definitely Celebrity for 2020.

Have not seen anything yet.  I hope they do something soon.

4 minutes ago, LB_NJ said:

Royal includes Celebrity and Azamara.

I would love to book a cruise on either Royal or definitely Celebrity for 2020.

Have not seen anything yet.  I hope they do something soon.

We would too, I look forward to seeing what they may incorporate!

153 days use?

Ovation, Radiance, Serenade, Celebrity M Class, Celebrity S Class (Seattle), Azamara... am I missing any?

Even if each ship were to visit Glacier Bay once per week, that's approx 20 maximum weeks x 6 ships = 120 days

Interesting!

Just now, Biker19 said:

SilverSea?

Ah!... good call Biker. So that's another approx 15 days = 135.

Hmmm.... Keep Hubbard and get rid of Endicott Arm?... Endicott/Sawyer's is a pain cause half the time the ships don't get all the way in to the fjord for Glacier viewing because of ice flows downriver (most closer to end of season)

Interesting. I had totally missed this announcement. We'd been considering another cruise to Alaska in 2021, but were looking at Princess, chiefly because of Glacier Bay. This will definitely give us more to think about.

5 hours ago, hapster85 said:

Interesting. I had totally missed this announcement. We'd been considering another cruise to Alaska in 2021, but were looking at Princess, chiefly because of Glacier Bay. This will definitely give us more to think about.

I don't know if there was an official announcement except on the NPS web site.

I don't know if there was an official announcement except on the NPS web site.
I was referring more to here and the blog site than anything official. It's not really the sort of thing that makes the regular news cycle.

On 4/20/2019 at 1:03 AM, frank808 said:

Dang and we are going on 2 cruises this July with royal to Hubbard.  Guess in 2021 will be going back to Alaska to see glacier bay.  Dang it royal, you are taking more of my money.

Oh yeah...and I just know you detest that, don't you. $$$   LOL!!  Live is tough for a Royal DS...just have to deal with it.  😄 

On 4/21/2019 at 11:26 AM, island lady said:

Oh yeah...and I just know you detest that, don't you. $$$   LOL!!  Live is tough for a Royal DS...just have to deal with it.  😄 

Yep, real problems for Royal DS members 😊!

• 1 month later...

Anyone have any knowledge regarding itineraries that will include Glacier Bay and when they will be available for booking.  I am assuming it will be Radiance doing Glacier Bay and maybe substituting GB for Icy Strait Point.  Look forward to hearing your observations as we are intending to book as soon as it is available, although it will be pricey for us Aussies, we don't get the same prices that US citizens can get.