Comedy Club Hits new Low

1 minute ago, davekathy said:

We've been to a lot also. For us it's all about the audience participation. Always different and funny. But to each their own. 

Agreed, we realized on our last cruise we may prefer in the future to sit at the top and just observe and not be part of the participation.  We tend to always laugh and enjoy them though, although I'm beginning to think I can't stay up that late anymore lol!  We had someone with us that had never been before so that always makes the experience more fun.  As someone who once made the cruise in review daily loop because of my quest participation (and have heard from friends who still run into passengers that remember me) and won a silver medal when DH and I were captains, I think I can safely pass the torch 🙂  The memories though make me smile, I am not one who ever likes being the center of attention but quest brought out my competitiveness lol!

14 hours ago, MrMarc said:

If the "comic" ever harasses you if you get up to leave.  Just explain to them that you figured out you were in the wrong place.  You were looking for the comedy show.  But be sure you leave very quickly after that, you won't want to hear his responses.

LMFAO That would be hilarious! I would have to exit quickly after that, because my come back to any responses would be lame.

Another note: Wow... so many "we know it was adult comedy... but."  I think the but here is the problem. If it is adult, there is likely going to be cussing and/or sexual innuendo. Since there is no guidelines, it means just that. If that could possibly offend me, I just would not go. There are other things to do on the ship. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ShillyShally said:

Agreed, we realized on our last cruise we may prefer in the future to sit at the top and just observe and not be part of the participation.  We tend to always laugh and enjoy them though, although I'm beginning to think I can't stay up that late anymore lol!  We had someone with us that had never been before so that always makes the experience more fun.  As someone who once made the cruise in review daily loop because of my quest participation (and have heard from friends who still run into passengers that remember me) and won a silver medal when DH and I were captains, I think I can safely pass the torch 🙂  The memories though make me smile, I am not one who ever likes being the center of attention but quest brought out my competitiveness lol!

We did a B2B cruise on the Freedom this past March. Both QUEST shows started at 10:30. That was nice. 

It is usually funny.  In the beginning they do have a recording saying it is adult and if you are easily offended go to the infirmary and have the stick removed...  this is generally funny, but if you do decide to leave not so much.  If they said if you wish to leave sneak out the side door it would be easier.  Also some comedians get offended if you don’t find them funny.  

Some comedians when doing the adult show go for the most shock value they can get and it  comes across as just that.  The jokes aren't necessarily funny, but they can be vulgar.  If I didn't like what was being said, I would just get up and leave and if the performer tried to call me out, I'd just keep walking.  One reason we always sit in the back of the theater for comedian shows is their incessant need to harass anyone who leaves for any reason.  We've had really bad comedians who think an adult show is just compromised of swearing as much as possible.  Others are very funny in their skirting the edge.   Not everyone is going to think everything is funny and that's okay.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, sullyair said:

Comedy is supposed to make some people uncomfortable.  Comics are supposed to challenge the audience on current events, sex, racism and anything else to make the audience uncomfortable. 

If if you don’t understand comedy, call 911 and stay away from comedy clubs. 

https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/florida-man-calls-911-after-comedian-makes-middle-east-joke

Where is the rule that it's "supposed" to make some people uncomfortable.  Comedy is supposed to be funny, which is why it's called "comedy".

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mikew0805 said:

Another note: Wow... so many "we know it was adult comedy... but."  I think the but here is the problem. If it is adult, there is likely going to be cussing and/or sexual innuendo. Since there is no guidelines, it means just that. If that could possibly offend me, I just would not go. There are other things to do on the ship. 

I'm fine with the F word. I say the F word. That doesn't mean it's funny.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, BND said:

Where is the rule that it's "supposed" to make some people uncomfortable.  Comedy is supposed to be funny, which is why it's called "comedy".

Sounds like you are made uncomfortable by an adult comedy show. May I suggest whatever RCI eventually replaces dreamworks with or a song/dance in the theater with the royal singers. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, BND said:

Some comedians when doing the adult show go for the most shock value they can get and it  comes across as just that.  The jokes aren't necessarily funny, but they can be vulgar.  If I didn't like what was being said, I would just get up and leave and if the performer tried to call me out, I'd just keep walking.  One reason we always sit in the back of the theater for comedian shows is their incessant need to harass anyone who leaves for any reason.  We've had really bad comedians who think an adult show is just compromised of swearing as much as possible.  Others are very funny in their skirting the edge.   Not everyone is going to think everything is funny and that's okay.

Yeah, I've seen mediocre comedians resort to vulgarity when they lose momentum with the audience.  Don't know why some think that is a good fall back, but it must work or they wouldn't do it I suppose.   

There was a highly credentialed comedian on a Princess cruise years ago -- HBO, etc, etc.  I thought his jokes were funny but he really wasn't getting many laughs.  He asked for the house lights to come up.  Then he said something like it looks like half of you are so old you won't live through the cruise, hoped the crew knew CPR, and stuff like that.  A whole bunch of people left after that.   Don't know what the guy was thinking, but it bombed.   

• Like 3

1 minute ago, sullyair said:

Sounds like you are made uncomfortable by an adult comedy show. May I suggest whatever RCI eventually replaces dreamworks with or a song/dance in the theater with the royal singers. 

I don't think that's fair. Point is, adult comedy should be funny. You can say as many Fs as you want and if it's not funny, it's not funny. 

• Like 1

On 5/15/2019 at 10:49 AM, matj2000 said:

Has anyone ever been to a real comedy club before?

What do expect to see?

Jackie Gleason or Bob Hope comedy??

Most Comedy shows been to have leaned Jackie, though did see Bob Hope in Army. He came to town and gave all the good floor seats to us Soldiers. Anyone else had sit in Balcony. Was pretty Kool...

1 minute ago, marci22 said:

I don't think that's fair. Point is, adult comedy should be funny. You can say as many Fs as you want and if it's not funny, it's not funny. 

If you don’t like broadway shows, don’t see Grease. If you don’t like hearing non-stop about prior cruises, stay out of the D lounge, and if you can’t take adult language or jokes, stay out of the adult comedy show. Very simple. 

• Like 2

We're booked to see an adult comedy show on our next cruise.  Sometimes the comedians are funny and sometimes they are not - we usually sit near a door so that we can make a fast exit if we need to. The sexual innuendo is fine and to be expected and we've not yet felt the need to walk out over that - but then then again there is always a first time.  Some of them are downright disgustingly racist and we don't hang around long for those and I really don't understand why RC think this is ok.  One comedian's language on Navigator last year was so bad that you couldn't not laugh.  In real life, nobody could ever possibly swear as much as he did.  He actually was a funny man but he spoilt it by swearing almost too much - I think after the initial shock factor the bad language can stop being a novelty if they use it too much.  

1 minute ago, sullyair said:

If you don’t like broadway shows, don’t see Grease. If you don’t like hearing non-stop about prior cruises, stay out of the D lounge, and if you can’t take adult language or jokes, stay out of the adult comedy show. Very simple. 

You are missing the point. Some people have no problem with adult language or jokes but if the comedian is bad he is bad. 

• Like 2

Just now, marci22 said:

You are missing the point. Some people have no problem with adult language or jokes but if the comedian is bad he is bad. 

Comedy like food is subjective.

Some people like the MDR food — I compare it to Golden Coral. Does that mean it is low grade dog food in the MDR — of course not. It is my opinion.

If some uptight person is offended in an ADULT comedy show or doesn’t think something is funny, does that mean that the jokes aren’t edgy and hilarious - of course not.  It is their opinion. Why they would stay or go again for another comedy show is beyond me.  

1 hour ago, Debrad128 said:

It is usually funny.  In the beginning they do have a recording saying it is adult and if you are easily offended go to the infirmary and have the stick removed...  this is generally funny, but if you do decide to leave not so much.  If they said if you wish to leave sneak out the side door it would be easier.  Also some comedians get offended if you don’t find them funny.  

Was this the 4/28/19 sailing of Harmony?  Female comedian swore the whole time but was actually funny.  Male comedian, heavier set bald guy, sweat profusely the whole time and played with his nose, was not funny at all.  I would have walked out but he went after a woman who left to use the restroom.  His show was all over the place and just wasn't funny.  I

12 minutes ago, sullyair said:

If some uptight person is offended in an ADULT comedy show or doesn’t think something is funny, does that mean that the jokes aren’t edgy and hilarious - of course not.  It is their opinion. Why they would stay or go again for another comedy show is beyond me.  

Why would they go again? Hope springs eternal.

I felt that the comedian I saw struggled. He stayed too long on things that were not working with this audience. Maybe they worked with another audience. Definitely not edgy or hilarious.

1 hour ago, marci22 said:

I'm fine with the F word. I say the F word. That doesn't mean it's funny.

Agree.. I say it too. You are right, it doesn't mean it is funny... but it also doesn't mean that it isn't. Just like any topic, if it is overused, it is no longer funny.

Same as before, if it bothered me that much, I just would not go. Problem solved.

Edited by Mikew0805