Merged Topics - Server Errors

Ditto - Error 500 for last 3 or 4 days, off & on ... refresh "sometimes" work on reloading.  

Nothing wrong with us ... as end users.  Problems are with, IMHO, as many said & know/work in I.T. knew, is with the cloud server(s) & provider (AWS as in Amazon) ... dare I say it, unable to cache & handle "excessive" DBMS hits when traffic exceeded threshold.  It should not be an issue, in this day & age and sorry to say, routine maintenance or planned upgrade - is an unacceptable excuse if this was happening in our own IT Dept. 

But, this isn't mission critical so we will just have to deal with it.  More than embarassing, it is what it is.  #sigh 

I've just had an episode when trying to access a saved Activity Stream with an active auto log-in (when I needed it because I would have long been logged out automatically), and tried the apparent fix from last time I saw this: Go to https://boards.cruisecritic.com and then navigate from there. The 500 errors stopped straight away.

The blank white screen has been extremely annoying today, particularly when accessing the main Princess board, but my roll call, not really.  The only way to work around it is to clear cache and re-launch browser.  BTW, for me it does not matter if I use Firefox or Chrome.  I only have 10 more days til my next cruise and I will likely be done here.

22 hours ago, Globaliser said:

I've just had an episode when trying to access a saved Activity Stream with an active auto log-in (when I needed it because I would have long been logged out automatically), and tried the apparent fix from last time I saw this: Go to https://boards.cruisecritic.com and then navigate from there. The 500 errors stopped straight away.

And on getting a "MySQL server has gone away" error, I had to go back to www.cruisecritic.com and come back to the boards, but that then fixed that error straight away.

1 hour ago, bury me at sea said:

Cannot load http error 500 intermittently yesterday and more frequently today.

Yeah, it's been happening A LOT the last 3-4 days.

OK, my little bit of education today, I looked it up:

The 500 Internal Server Error is a very general HTTP status code that means something has gone wrong on the web site's server but the server could not be more specific on what the exact problem is.

Yeah, I'd say "something has gone wrong", 

4 hours ago, dfish said:

Error 500 is alive and well.  It is nominally an improvement over the SQL error as it generally took hours before you could get back on with that one.  But the 500 one is a major annoyance.

Have you tried the fix that I've posted above?

8 minutes ago, dfish said:

I used the link right out of your post!  So, is it fixed or a coincidence?

I have wondered about coincidence since I first tried it, but it has cleared the 500 errors so reliably since then that I think that mere coincidence is unlikely.

One thing I would suggest, though, is not to click from the link. Instead, go to the address bar and clear the URL back to that state, and then press enter. I don't have the technical knowledge to know whether it might make a difference, but I do know that servers handle clicked links differently from directly typed-in URLs. And it's been (in effect) a directly typed-in URL that's worked for me.

7 hours ago, CC Help Jenn said:

I know this is not related - but some of you have experience with our log in issues as well.

Please see our update

Everything seems to be working smoothly for me, from a bookmark or from an email!  Thanks, Jenn.  (I don't use Tapatalk any more - it is so easy to add photos now just using CC.:classic_smile:)

• 3 weeks later...
28 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

Forums have been dragging today...

I'll say.  I was using tapatalk, and it kept coming up with an error when trying to post.  It kept saying try again later.  Then, when I log in using the web version, I see it ended up doing double posts.

1 hour ago, h20skibum said:

I'll say.  I was using tapatalk, and it kept coming up with an error when trying to post.  It kept saying try again later.  Then, when I log in using the web version, I see it ended up doing double posts.

There were three duplicates of a post I made on the Bermuda board.