Specialty Dining "Haggling" Strategies

wantondisregard

As the date of our first cruise on X (Equinox - June 15th) creeps closer and closer, I've learned that not all 'SALES' on the Cruise Planner are equal! 

I discovered from other forums that during the last "SALE EVENT", some people had "20% OFF" discounts off Specialty Dining Packages and Beverage Packages, while I only saw a few Shore Excursions on sale on my page and the dining/beverage packages were still at full price!

So I know there will be no sales on beverage packages on day 1, but I've been reading about staff approaching you to sell you dining packages at a discounted price (not just for day 1). Do you guys have any strategies on "haggling" for the best price at each of the restaurants? I did the math... the 3 restaurant plan at full price equates to about 38 dollars a person a meal!

Thanks all!

I don't haggle as much as I state what I want and am prepared to leave it alone if I don't get the pricing I would like.  I usually ask on the first day if they can book me a two for one deal on individual meals .... they won't usually give that deal in the restaurants that book up quickly.  Your best bet is to get them to accept that offer on the first night.  

There may be an offer onboard for the 4 dinner package, though.  Last year, this was the best deal ... no additional discounts but the pricing was pretty good.  

Get your reservations in early in the cruise ... they may not have the dates and times you want otherwise.  

• Like 1

It is very likely that at some point during your cruise, you will be offered a special deal....might be your waiter but more likely the person sitting just outside the entrance to the buffet.  On the second, maybe third day strike up a conversation with them...and ask if there are any special deals.  More than likely, they will offer you $10/$15 off at one or more of the restaurants.  My approach is to suggest that if we could both dine for the price of one (BOGO), I'd  book.  They will either say "they can't do that", "we don't discount meals...that's policy" or they will make you a counter offer.  Generally, their first offer isn't a great deal, so I laugh and tell the guy/gal that I'll check back later in the cruise....really looking for a BOGO....and I do, the next day...."hey, could you do that BOGO today" or "can we make a better deal than yesterday.   It is a give take discussion...keep it light...but push for $30 at a $50 restaurant or BOGO....and you might just get it.  Or, of course, they won't do it....that's the chance that you take.  We don't really care so if we have a cruise without a specialty meal, that's fine.  Do not fall for the first day offers on meal packages, or minor specials the first and second day...unless you really do want to try a restaurant or you want a special day/time.  We have probably a 60-70% hit rate on at least 40% off.

Enjoy your cruise.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

I got nowhere with that on the Solstice last week.  Fine with me.  Either give me a BOGO or I don't go to your specialty restaurant which is vastly overpriced.  They didn't seem to be interested in negotiating.  Whatever.

will they do BOGO for a solo?

On the Silhouette last December we asked about discounts for the first night at Murano - and got 30% off.  Close to the end of the cruise we were sitting at the high-tops at the entrance to the buffet.  We were approached and offered a nice discount for the Lawn Club, so we took it (can't remember what it was, but it was significant).  We really enjoyed it!

I have zero direct experience, just my observations.  Hosts/hostesses seem to have little interest in offering discounts as I’d imagine there’s little if not any benefit for them to gain discounted reservations.  It makes logical sense that X would send a staff to the buffet area to attempt to lure them to a paid restaurant.  Thanks to those who are sharing their detailed experiences as most of the older posts lack a lot of detail and/or outcome 

I will usually try this with a group. I make sure I have all the stateroom numbers as well as the complete names of all the guests with me. If you can find out their Captain's Club status that helps too. I approach either the maitre'd of that restaurant or if I have met someone earlier that has tried to sell me specialty restaurant meals I go to that guy You will know him as he will circulate around the boarding area and outside the dining rooms. These people work on incentives. 

I also don't try for the more popular restaurants or the most popular days. But on Monday, I will be shooting for a big one. We board Reflection and we have 30+ people who want to dine in the Lawn Club Grille. I am looking for at least a 30% discount. We shall see. 

As we often say there are no guarantee because it’s different on every cruise and is demand dependant. I’ve tried asking for discounts for Murano in the past and not got one, Tuscan grill is far easier. Sometimes it’s just the individual selling and they are also very different.

• Like 1

You are second or third cruise post Revolution on Equinox...This could be why they are not offering discount packages at present. They may be hoping that many guests will be willing to pay full price or near to experience a refitted Murano’s and Tuscan (furnishings and possibly some menu changes?). LPC is also still relatively new and many may not have seen it yet.

If the first cruise reports excellent experiences prices could stay high for all your cruise.

However, if those first reviews reveal that not a lot has changed you may find offers.

We are not hagglers by nature and we have tended to prefer to book a package pre cruise.  $38 per person is better than full price and you can walk on board, see the M’D, almost invariably get the days and times you want with no effort and no disappointment. To us dining in the speciality restaurants is a major part of our cruise (one of the key reasons why we now usually book a RS).  

So I guess my advice is look for those first reviews and then decide from there...If you enjoy haggling and won’t be too disappointed if you don’t visit all the speciality restaurants then wait until you board.

Edited by chemmo

6 hours ago, ghstudio said:

It is very likely that at some point during your cruise, you will be offered a special deal....might be your waiter but more likely the person sitting just outside the entrance to the buffet.  On the second, maybe third day strike up a conversation with them...and ask if there are any special deals.  More than likely, they will offer you $10/$15 off at one or more of the restaurants.  My approach is to suggest that if we could both dine for the price of one (BOGO), I'd  book.  They will either say "they can't do that", "we don't discount meals...that's policy" or they will make you a counter offer.  Generally, their first offer isn't a great deal, so I laugh and tell the guy/gal that I'll check back later in the cruise....really looking for a BOGO....and I do, the next day...."hey, could you do that BOGO today" or "can we make a better deal than yesterday.   It is a give take discussion...keep it light...but push for $30 at a $50 restaurant or BOGO....and you might just get it.  Or, of course, they won't do it....that's the chance that you take.  We don't really care so if we have a cruise without a specialty meal, that's fine.  Do not fall for the first day offers on meal packages, or minor specials the first and second day...unless you really do want to try a restaurant or you want a special day/time.  We have probably a 60-70% hit rate on at least 40% off.

Enjoy your cruise.

I successfully negotiated a BOGO King Crab lunch on our final sea day in Tuscan Grill... If you're used to negotiating terms regularly, the people selling entry have no chance. Just my observation.

1 hour ago, Greenymac said:

I successfully negotiated a BOGO King Crab lunch on our final sea day in Tuscan Grill... If you're used to negotiating terms regularly, the people selling entry have no chance. Just my observation.

I wasn't aware they had King Crab lunch on sea days.  I've never checked the menu.  But my wife loves King Crab and that sounds like a great way to end the cruise.

If you find waiters hanging around the buffet especially in the morning there is a deal to be done. If their restaurant is full that day you wont see them. Some cruises there are lots of deals to be done on others few or none

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ipeeinthepool said:

I wasn't aware they had King Crab lunch on sea days.  I've never checked the menu.  But my wife loves King Crab and that sounds like a great way to end the cruise.

It was a flyer that was going around since the first sea day, so I planned accordingly. Price was only 25-30 per person and we got that BOGO. It was a great meal.  This was on the Infinity this passed December.

2 hours ago, Beanb41 said:

If you find waiters hanging around the buffet especially in the morning there is a deal to be done. If their restaurant is full that day you wont see them. Some cruises there are lots of deals to be done on others few or none

Probably the best advice I've seen....haggling isn't my idea of fun on vacation...but I would approach a waiter and ask what is available....thanks...

We've been approached for deals in Tuscan, but countered with "not interested in Tuscan, but how about Murano?" With the exception of one cruise on Eclipse three years ago, we've been offered  various deals by the aforementioned crew members. We say what we want and sometimes its a go, sometimes not. We've done them all, so if we get what we want, great, if not that's okay too. It really depends on the sales/bookings on a particular cruise. We don't bite for less than 30-50%. You also will get better deals if you are flexible about the date and time.

"Deals" depend on how reservations are going on your cruise. The Maitre 'ds are given target numbers before the start of the cruise and use "offers" to reach their targets. You have a good chance for offers the longer the cruise and virtually no chance of offers on very short cruises. It's all supply and demand. I tend to not book a specialty restaurant unless I receive 50% off. Actually, I'm quite tried of them. My only strategy is to ask for 50% off and I book if "yes", I walk away if "Can't do that". 

• Like 2

We cruised in February on the Equinox.  We had a large group.  Some of us had purchased a 2 dinner, 1 lunch package before we boarded.  It was $100.  When the members of our group that hadn't purchased the package before hand,  wanted to dine, they were offered the same deal.  They called it the "Flash Sale".  I guess you can always ask for the "Flash Sale" package and see if they give it to you.  We did Murano and Tuscan Grill for dinner and Sushi on 5 for the lunch.  It was great.

We also had offers to dine at Silk Harvest for $30 per person while onboard but we declined.

2 hours ago, slanik said:

We cruised in February on the Equinox.  We had a large group.  Some of us had purchased a 2 dinner, 1 lunch package before we boarded.  It was $100.  When the members of our group that hadn't purchased the package before hand,  wanted to dine, they were offered the same deal.  They called it the "Flash Sale".  I guess you can always ask for the "Flash Sale" package and see if they give it to you.  We did Murano and Tuscan Grill for dinner and Sushi on 5 for the lunch.  It was great.

We also had offers to dine at Silk Harvest for $30 per person while onboard but we declined.

How did lunch at Sushi on 5 work with that package?  Is it whatever you want?

5 hours ago, Luvcrusn said:

We've been approached for deals in Tuscan, but countered with "not interested in Tuscan, but how about Murano?" With the exception of one cruise on Eclipse three years ago, we've been offered  various deals by the aforementioned crew members. We say what we want and sometimes its a go, sometimes not. We've done them all, so if we get what we want, great, if not that's okay too. It really depends on the sales/bookings on a particular cruise. We don't bite for less than 30-50%. You also will get better deals if you are flexible about the date and time.

You are so right. We always wait until we are approached and offered restaurant "deals". I'm not referring to the persons standing behind a table at the entrance to the buffet, but persons who wander around trying to book reservations. They are there to close the sale. We go for 50%. Sometimes they agree, sometimes they don't. More often than not, they agree.

36 minutes ago, Rob the Cruiser said:

You are so right. We always wait until we are approached and offered restaurant "deals". I'm not referring to the persons standing behind a table at the entrance to the buffet, but persons who wander around trying to book reservations. They are there to close the sale. We go for 50%. Sometimes they agree, sometimes they don't. More often than not, they agree.

That's pretty much out strategy too and it's worked on nearly every cruise.  We ask for BOGO and depending on how we feel we will take as low as 30% off.  We have just about a 100% success rate getting a discount. We might not get the day or time we initially want but if you're flexible it seems pretty easy to get a discount.

We've had good luck in the past with many of the various strategies mentioned here. But having said that, we sail mostly longer cruises. 

Personally, I think it's more difficult to score a deal on 7 night cruises than the longer sailings. If a certain percentage of people tend to book 1 night per cruise in a specialty restaurant, then the math indicates there are fewer nights to squeeze everyone in. Much easier on the longer voyages, thus the better chance to score a deal. 

Crystal allows each passenger two complimentary specialty restaurant reservations per voyage. There's currently a discussion over on that board with people reporting how service can suffer in the specialties on shorter cruises of 7 days. Too few days to cycle everyone through their two complimentary visits. Much easier on the longer cruises.

Edited by BEAV