Seasickness out of New York?

Never know. Storm, Hurricane or just Rough weather can happen anytime of year. I've sailed all different seasons at least once and each has had the Barf Bags off by the stairways. May just be smooth sailing but if you do get Motion Sick probably should bring something. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, cruisingalong2018 said:

We are sailing on Anthem out of Cape Liberty.  How choppy will it be?  We sailed on Harmony out of Ft. Lauderdale last year and I was fine.  Just wondering if I need to get Dramamine or the patch or something.  Thank you!

I don't know the weather that day

• Haha 1

Unfortunately there really isn’t any to predict. There are some areas of the world that are prone to rough seas. I don’t think New York is one them. If you feel worried about it, bring it along for peace of mind so you enjoy your cruise and have a great time.

My only cruise from New York was northbound, to Halifax and Saint John, and we ran into a considerable storm, with some fairly violent pitching of the ship. The first morning out, every breakfast conversation that I heard seemed to be about Dramamine. I am not prone to motion sickness but at times I was afraid of falling.

1 hour ago, Ourusualbeach said:

As soon as you see them hanging the bags on the railings you know you will be in for a rough ride.

They did this on my first cruise (yes, it was ROUGH), NY-Bermuda, but I never needed those bags.  No need for it on my second or my 3rd.

Edited by hallux

My husband and I take one Bonine a day on every cruise, independent of weather and where the cruise departs from. It seems to work well for us.  I would not worry about a cruise out of NY/NJ any more than a cruise out of elsewhere. You can have bad weather anytime/anywhere; most of the time it is fine. 

Have a great cruise. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, hallux said:

They did this on my first cruise (yes, it was ROUGH), NY-Bermuda, but I never needed those bags.  No need for it on my second or my 3rd.

Only time in 65 cruises I got seasick was on small ship 20,000 tons to Bermuda that was 40 years ago, have done lots of cruises from New York.

8 hours ago, cruisingalong2018 said:

We are sailing on Anthem out of Cape Liberty.  How choppy will it be?  We sailed on Harmony out of Ft. Lauderdale last year and I was fine.  Just wondering if I need to get Dramamine or the patch or something.  Thank you!

When are you cruising?  These past eight days have been smooth as can be.

• Like 1

Just so you know, I sometimes feel seasick (not every cruise) and I have been able to get motion sickness/seasickness medicine (a pill) at guest services without going to the infirmary. I'm not sure if they do this on every trip, but in case someone forgets medicine, they may have it available at guest services.

I felt the ship moving more on my Anthem cruise to Bermuda then I have on any other cruise. I didn’t feel sick, because I take Bonine as a general rule, but the motion was definitely noticeable. 

This is a personal opinion, but with sound logic behind it. In part some of the reason you hear more  about seasickness on cruises out of the New Jersey, Baltimore, or Boston cruise terminals is because these cruises tend have more sea days traveling at a higher rate. Once the ship is traveling over a certain rate, not sure what it is, the stabilizers can not be deployed.  So the navigation crew plays a balancing game of is it better to have some passengers complain about a rough transit for a few hours to a day or have most of the passengers complain that docking was delayed to go slower.

I travel on several different lines mot often out of the NYC metro area and tend to follow many of the boards here. It does seem regardless of departure port be it one from FL, Charleston, or any of the previously mentioned port any ship going to Bermuda on any date can be subject to more aggressive seas. Because of the distance that Bermuda lies from the US coast, a good 700-900 miles, any departure port needs 30 hours or more of traveling at 19-23 knots at least. While cruises out of FL ports to the Bahamas and other near US islands if the ship traveled that fast would arrive at those ports in 6-12 hours.

Only sailed out of Cape Liberty once, to Bermuda.  Very rough the first day out and the last day back.  Outdoor decks all closed. I tried to explain to my wife that there are several cruise ships departing from NYC all the time, so it can't always be that bad, but she has said never again (even though we loved Bermuda).  If you're prone to sea sickness, be prepared.

15 hours ago, cruisingalong2018 said:

As others have mentions, in general the North Atlantic tends to have rougher seas then the southern /Caribbean. seas. But it really is dependent on the time of year (fall and winter are the worst) and the specific weather at the time of sailing. Seas are reported be to smooth right now. And as noted above, the high rate of speed it takes to get anywhere is also a factor.

Having said that, the roughest sailing I ever had was on Liberty OTS out of Miami in Nov. 2009. People were bouncing off the walls walking down the hall and the pool deck was closed since all of the pool water was sloshing all over the place. Hurricane out in the mid Atlantic was causing the heavy wave action.

Just be prepared. We've sailed to Bermuda out of Bayonne and the Atlantic was almost like glass. We've also sailed north out of Boston and it got a little bumpy. As long as you have something available you should be fine.

I think the area around Cape Hatteras is usually where there tends to be the rougher seas.  As others have said, it can happen anywhere, but some areas are known for it.  My daughter is susceptible to motion sickness and we use Bonine (Meclizine)  for her.  It's cheap and usually does not cause drowsiness. Best if started a day or 2 before departure.

dp

• Like 1

During the late fall, winter, early spring the north atlantic can tend to be rougher than at other times of the year. Of course if there is a hurricane in the atlantic then all seas in the atlantic will be rougher until the hurricane makes landfall.

Have sailed from NJ a number of times.  Summer is usually no problem, but at other times seas can be rough for first 1 1/2 days until ship rounds Cape Hatteras and enters the gulfstream.  Always felt it more while sailing southbound.  A number of folks have commented on these boards that Anthem's design causes her to handle rough seas relatively poorly compared to Voyager and Freedom class.   We tend to agree.