Bigger vs smaller ships

We have only cruised on Voyageur, Freedom, Quantum and Oasis class ships mainly because our kids have enjoyed the activities on those larger ships.  We are planning an adults only trip on a European cruise.  While I see that Oasis class ships sometimes sail these routes, I am looking into some of the Radiance and Vision class ships.

for those who have sailed both larger and smaller ships, I would appreciat your opinions regarding:

what did you miss the most (about the larger ships) when on the smaller ones?

what did you appreciate the most about the smaller ships, having done both? 

For context, my wife and I tend not to stay up late, and we do not prioritize the shows.  We anticipate doing excursions or tours at each European port.  We really enjoy the areas on the larger class ships (like the promenade or Central Park) to sit, have a snack when we want, and have a coffee or a drink at night.

We missed the smaller number of food venues compared to Oasis class. 

We very much appreciated the views to the outside from virtually every public venue on Vision and Radiance class ships. 

• Like 5

We recently did Rhapsody on the Greek Isles cruise and we loved it. Having never been to those ports we were only on  the ship in the evening. We also do not go to shows and are in bed early so we didn't miss all the extras of the bigger ships. I personally wouldn't sail a smaller ship in the Caribbean as we tend to not get off in port anymore and need all the extras.

Edited by depplep

We have only sailed on smaller ships.

We like that we do not need to make reservations for ANYTHING (except excursions).  Not for MDR for MTD, not for shows, not for even specialty restaurants.

Relax, enjoy, do what moves you, not in accordance with plans made weeks or months ago.

• Like 2

Radiance Class ship are so gorgeous - lots of glass and brass.  Not the stuff to do like the larger ships, but really cozy and nice.  We have gotten spoiled by the bigger ships just because there is so much more to do and we love the Promenade, but will always love the Radiance Class ships, especially Serenade of the Seas

• Like 2

I’m going to echo what others have stated. Just got off allure, it’s a tough call, but I believe that radiance class is still my all time favorite. Views to the outside are excellent on thAt class. We did 10 days on rhapsody from Venice a few years ago and have zero regrets with that also.

For an European vacation I recommend picking itinerary first and foremost. This includes paying attention to port times along with how many ships are in port. Santorini with two ships is an entirely different experience than Santorini with seven.

We were exhausted from ports most nights, so while entertainment on rhapsody was significantly “poorer” in quality than the bigger ships, it just didn’t matter. 

Hope this helps

• Like 2

I love the smaller ships. I feel like they are outward facing making the sea your focal point whereas the big ships are inward facing. But the biggest ship I have been on so far is Explorer. It was cool to have the promenade and slide but we only used those sparingly. 

And I LOVE the lower outside deck. It is wonderful for gazing, peace to read a book, and lovely for having a cigar. 

• Like 2

We just returned from a Med/Greece on Vision.....I prefer the larger ships also and more than likely won't sail Vision again...but the itinerary was great it just would have been better on the larger ships with a Promenade...we missed that area as we don't care for the Centrum and the lack of shops....and eating venues.

1 hour ago, karena1 said:

Radiance Class ship are so gorgeous - lots of glass and brass.  Not the stuff to do like the larger ships, but really cozy and nice.  We have gotten spoiled by the bigger ships just because there is so much more to do and we love the Promenade, but will always love the Radiance Class ships, especially Serenade of the Seas

Wondering if Serenade has anything different than the other Radiance class ship that makes it your favorite of that class.  We have sailed on Jewel, Radiance and Brilliance before and have Serenade booked for October.  It is not our favorite class of ship, we prefer the larger ships, but it is doing Bermuda from Boston, so well worth the convenience for us.

1 hour ago, karena1 said:

Agree, Radiance is my Favorite Class. Do 4 weeks+ a yr on Serenade, Beautiful ships...

3 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

Wondering if Serenade has anything different than the other Radiance class ship that makes it your favorite of that class.  We have sailed on Jewel, Radiance and Brilliance before and have Serenade booked for October.  It is not our favorite class of ship, we prefer the larger ships, but it is doing Bermuda from Boston, so well worth the convenience for us.

Serenade has a Park Cafe, I know Jewel doesn't, but Brilliance does

• Like 1

My first RCI cruise, on Serenade of the Seas, is next week, but I've traveled on both large and small ships of aNother Cruise Line. On large ships there are more activities and dining choices, which is nice on sea days, but there are also many more people trying to fill them up.

On a port-intensive cruise, the activities matter less, although with more passengers, there is more scope to plan private excursions to suit your interests. Recently I was on a large ship for an itinerary with a lot of sea days, and it was sometimes frustrating not to be able to get into certain shows and activities for which reservations weren't offered.

• Like 1

We have mainly done larger (but smaller than Oasis class) ships. We have sailed on the now departed Legend and last year on the Brilliance.

Loved the glass everywhere, gave a light open airy feel. Missed the promenade, and some bars and venues were tucked away in slightly odd locations.  Not a fan of the centrums, sound carries too far.

I enjoy Vision class and Radiance class the best. If I want bigger the Freedom class is nothing but a Vision Class that's stretched out. Not huge but big enough. Least favorite is Quantum Class. I could go on for a whole page on what I don't like Quantum Class ships.

Why choose one or the other?  We do both and love them all.  Though if I had to choose...my favorite class is still Radiance series, love all four sisters!  As others have mentioned...they feel more homey.  🙂 

A CC friend once responded to my question of "Which ship do you like the best?"....with "Whatever ship I am currently on".  Smart lady.  

Edited by island lady

As North Americans, on our first Mediterranean cruises, we concentrated on ports.  So ship was a floating hotel to which we returned tired and seeking respite.  We enjoyed good service and satisfactory food. The small size and overall ease were fine.  The lack of extensive on board selections were nonissues for us that context.  Perhaps your priorities will be similar for your upcoming cruise.

1 hour ago, 95south said:

I enjoy Vision class and Radiance class the best. If I want bigger the Freedom class is nothing but a Vision Class that's stretched out. Not huge but big enough. Least favorite is Quantum Class. I could go on for a whole page on what I don't like Quantum Class ships.

Freedom is a stretched out Voyager class. 

• Like 1

I think our smallest ship with Royal was Grandeur.  I prefer to chose "newer" ships to "older" ships - as opposed to making a decision based on size.  In the Carribean I prefer the stability of a bigger ship, wheras in Europe this may not be a concern.

My reason for posting is to recommend that you look at Celebrity - where you might find a combination of newer ship and smaller ship if that appeals to you.  If you are not aware, your C&A status with Royal gets matched up with Celebrity's program.

Our main reason for choosing Royal (sometimes) over Celebrity - larger ships and more for the kids to do (although they still enjoy their X cruises).  Last year for his birthday cruise, my then 10 year old chose Summit over Harmony.

21 hours ago, depplep said:

We recently did Rhapsody on the Greek Isles cruise and we loved it. Having never been to those ports we were only on  the ship in the evening. We also do not go to shows and are in bed early so we didn't miss all the extras of the bigger ships. I personally wouldn't sail a smaller ship in the Caribbean as we tend to not get off in port anymore and need all the extras.

Curious how you found the condition of Rhapsody on your recent sailing. We're interested in the itinerary, but I keep reading about how tired, worn, and outdated Rhapsody is. Same with Celebrity ships sailing similar itineraries. Wish we could find something more recently refreshed....

45 minutes ago, Queen of Oakville said:

I think our smallest ship with Royal was Grandeur.  I prefer to chose "newer" ships to "older" ships - as opposed to making a decision based on size.  In the Carribean I prefer the stability of a bigger ship, wheras in Europe this may not be a concern.

My reason for posting is to recommend that you look at Celebrity - where you might find a combination of newer ship and smaller ship if that appeals to you.  If you are not aware, your C&A status with Royal gets matched up with Celebrity's program.

Our main reason for choosing Royal (sometimes) over Celebrity - larger ships and more for the kids to do (although they still enjoy their X cruises).  Last year for his birthday cruise, my then 10 year old chose Summit over Harmony.

Matched up on Celebrity only to Diamond level (Elite)...from there you have to earn points on Celebrity to get to higher level.