Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
LEESRE

Rip off Shuttle Bus charges in Corfu Celebrity Infinity

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, LEESRE said:

Sorry to ruffle so many feathers, perhaps the other people would wish us to post only the good things about their favorite cruise lines.

What else did you expect when you use the phrase RIP OFF in the title? No one minds a reasonable criticism as long as it is factual and accurate. But when you post inflammatory language like that, expect to get flamed. Next time, by all means post your complaints. But choose your words judiciously.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, alwaysonaship said:

Come on. This is a common slang term. Try and be nice. 


Yes, I thought the same.  Quite common to use this in the UK for something believed to be pricier than it should be.  You will regularly hear it about things in London c.w. the rest of the country (Taxis, Theatre Prices, Price of a Pint).  Generally I think it's used to describe a certain sort of buyer's remorse.  "I paid this amount, and all I got was this, if I'd have known before I wouldn't have bothered".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 8/20/2019 at 12:01 PM, LEESRE said:

Rip off Shuttle Bus charges in Corfu Celebrity Infinity

 

 

 

May I suggest a different writing style that may not cause such a  kerfuffle. 

 

Lovely, Wonderful, Celebrity Shuttle Bus in Corfu  - Celebrity Infinity but Maybe a Touch Too Much $ - But Just a Wee Tiny Touch Too Much $

 

 Sure, you'll still get savaged for not walking but it's let's fight one Taxi battle at a time shall wee. 😉

Edited by DirtyDawg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The words "spendy" or "pricey" could be substituted for "rip-off". 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The majority of Cruiseline shuttles are expensive for what you get plus I don't enjoy hanging around waiting for shuttle buses to fill up.

I always research the ports of call in advance as my preference is 1. Walk 2 public bus/train 3. Uber or taxi 4. Shuttle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Of greater concern than the price of shuttles in some ports is the lack of service for wheelchair users. If you cannot climb the steps of the shuttle bus you cannot use it.

 

Whilst not perfectly mobile I can usually manage but I did two cruises with very limited mobility and it was an eye opener...

 

For example, when we were in Bergen we were in the cargo dock area.  Free shuttles were provided to the dock gate. Taxis/private tour buses were not allowed on site. You were not allowed to walk/be pushed to the port gate. One minibus only running for wheelchair/scooter users (about a 15 minute circuit) taking 1/2 wheelchairs or scooters at a time depending on size. You could not prebook a time for going or returning so sitting immobile in the cold in a long queue going and returning was the only option...There were many guests on board using chairs and scooters. We skipped it, too much for me at the time. Glad we did, we spoke to a lady later who had queued in the cold 40 minutes for the return journey with absolutely no other way of getting back to the ship....

 

OP thanks for posting your information. I would add that sometime, no matter how much research you do pre cruise surprises about how easy/hard things are to do invariably do happen....

 

I am a big Celebrity fan and accept that at times certain pricing are outside their control. However, I do think in most ports their shuttle services will be adding significant amounts to the corporate pot....

Edited by chemmo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  1. Research your ports in advance
  2. Never buy shuttle bus tickets at Guest Relations
  3. Never buy from the first shuttle that pulls up at the ship and where it gets charged to your account.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, alwaysonaship said:

Come on. This is a common slang term. Try and be nice. 

Some people need to get over themselves. The only reason I read this thread is because of the term rip off. I'm from N.Y.  My entire state is a rip off.  I also knew that there would be a cheerleader meltdown which alway has entertainment value. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 8/20/2019 at 6:42 PM, Formerly known as Seabee said:

Y’all are being pretty tough on the OP who has in fact provided an excellent source of info for others who are doing just what you are criticizing him for not doing...investigating options. Thanks Leesre for providing this info.

Too true was only trying to help others from being ripped off, too many trolls on these sites who just seem to want to ruffle feathers and get a response (well this is your first 2 responses)

These sites should be about helping each other, and giving useful information; we are all a bit too old now to be told off by the teacher. 

PS, when have cruise lines ever been publicising the price of the shuttle, you only find out the night before when it is in the daily programme.

Edited by Two 2 Tango

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The headline with the word ripoff – may of caused the consternation.

I was in Corfu two weeks ago on Celebrity.

May I suggest for others who wish to go into Corfu from the port, here is the summation of the research.

 

If you want to walk along the pier from the ship docked at the end of the pier to the port gate that works. The port also runs an occasional shuttle from ships docked at the end to the pier to the port gate.

 

Go out of the port gate across the parking lot. There you will find the city bus stop. If I recall it is the 2B line. Ticket for 5 Euros each was an all day ticket. You can take the bus to the old city entrance walk around Corfu and catch the bus from San Rocco Square back to the new port. Then walk along the entrance to the port gate. There they have security you go thru, wait for inter port bus or walk along the pier back to ship. If you want offline assistance on your smart phone an app called maps.me works great to help you navigate around Corfu or many other places. Of course google maps works if you have a data plan for Greece and shows you bus stops and routing and allows an offline experience if you have downloaded the maps. 

 

The OP was maybe just frustrated and did not have the research at hand. Knowledge makes life easier. Thinking you paid too much – exasperates.

 

Mirage

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Actually since the $12 was for a round trip it seemed a fair price to me. There were two of us so a taxi would have run about the same if one threw in a one euro tip each way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Mirage said:

The headline with the word ripoff – may of caused the consternation.

I was in Corfu two weeks ago on Celebrity.

May I suggest for others who wish to go into Corfu from the port, here is the summation of the research.

 

If you want to walk along the pier from the ship docked at the end of the pier to the port gate that works. The port also runs an occasional shuttle from ships docked at the end to the pier to the port gate.

 

Go out of the port gate across the parking lot. There you will find the city bus stop. If I recall it is the 2B line. Ticket for 5 Euros each was an all day ticket. You can take the bus to the old city entrance walk around Corfu and catch the bus from San Rocco Square back to the new port. Then walk along the entrance to the port gate. There they have security you go thru, wait for inter port bus or walk along the pier back to ship. If you want offline assistance on your smart phone an app called maps.me works great to help you navigate around Corfu or many other places. Of course google maps works if you have a data plan for Greece and shows you bus stops and routing and allows an offline experience if you have downloaded the maps. 

 

The OP was maybe just frustrated and did not have the research at hand. Knowledge makes life easier. Thinking you paid too much – exasperates.

 

Mirage

 

This is what readers need, good information.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And the information people provided about walking is also good.  I don't understand why they're being called trolls and cheerleaders for pointing out the alternatives.  Bottom line is that the OP's frustration would have been mitigated by doing research in advance to discover the options.  The ports of call boards can be great sources of information.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The thought lingering in the back of my mind since the OP started this thread is that Celebrity, like most cruise lines, makes a significant profit on every item or service that it sells. A bottle of wine, spa services, shore excursions... the list goes on. In all cases, overpriced, some things more so than others, so I'm not surprised that the shuttle bus prices were inflated when compared to local transportation prices. 

 

That said, and having a reasonable understanding of the cruise industry and the broader tourist industry, I wouldn't feel ripped off with the shuttle any more than I do when the glass of wine served in the MDR costs more than the whole bottle if purchased ashore. Sure, I'd prefer all of these prices to be lower, but the reality is that, if you want to cruise and use cruise line services, you are going to pay more and there's no sense in getting upset about it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Right.  And as someone else already pointed out, the high cost could just as well have been on the vendor's part as much as Celebrity's.  Captive audience.  Supply/demand.  It happens in every tourist hotspot known to man.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, bEwAbG said:

Right.  And as someone else already pointed out, the high cost could just as well have been on the vendor's part as much as Celebrity's.  Captive audience.  Supply/demand.  It happens in every tourist hotspot known to man.

Yeah, ripped off comes to mind.  LOL  🍷

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Many ports have free shuttles paid for by the port. Check the port website before sailing. You may be delighted to find many good options and services available at little or no money. Some ports offer free WiFi.  If you are really lucky, you may be able to access it from the ship.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Fouremco said:

The thought lingering in the back of my mind since the OP started this thread is that Celebrity, like most cruise lines, makes a significant profit on every item or service that it sells. A bottle of wine, spa services, shore excursions... the list goes on. In all cases, overpriced, some things more so than others, so I'm not surprised that the shuttle bus prices were inflated when compared to local transportation prices. 

 

That said, and having a reasonable understanding of the cruise industry and the broader tourist industry, I wouldn't feel ripped off with the shuttle any more than I do when the glass of wine served in the MDR costs more than the whole bottle if purchased ashore. Sure, I'd prefer all of these prices to be lower, but the reality is that, if you want to cruise and use cruise line services, you are going to pay more and there's no sense in getting upset about it.

I agree, but disagree. Since we have moved away from Celebrity to the luxury lines..which do not cost anymore money when everything is included. I.e. Crystal. Gratuities, alcohol, speciality restaurants, WiFi, etc. we were in Boston on them from New York to Montreal..free shuttle   We got to the place for the shuttle and we were the only people on it, and guess what..they took us back to the ship. Now that is service. We have book a 15 night cruise with them in January in a nice cabin. All inclusive for not more than your bill would be in Celebrity ..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/20/2019 at 3:30 PM, Denny01 said:

The shuttle price of $ 12 is for a roundtrip. Tax is 10 Euros oneway which is 24 Euros for 2 compared to $20 (ignoring tip and getting a taxi and so on). And yes, if I get or have another couple with me, that saves, but I have to coordinate with others. Not exactly a rip off. Just a bit more expensive. Kind of like Ship Tours and Private Tours. 

 

Your favorite Cruise Line is Seaborne and you are complaining about  $24 shuttle and at today’s currently rate a $22 taxi??? Got it. 

 

Den

 

One can enjoy luxury cruises and still feel as if they want to spend each dollar well...

In fact, perhaps some can enjoy luxury cruises precisely because of that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...