Diamond Status Inherited By Our Daughter Who Then Gets Married

CRUISEFOUR

1 hour ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Purchasing the drinks, dining and gratuities would set you back around $1000.  Star class is rarely offered for less than $5000pp and goes up significantly from there. There’s definitely savings. 

I want my own Genie

2 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

However if that guest is Pinnacle level, they get most of the perks.

Honestly, I was discussing this with someone on FB. Other than room service and in room MDR dining, what does a suite guest get that a Pinnacle does not?  Of course that could change at any time in the future.

Edited by John&LaLa

1 hour ago, mac_tlc said:

For Oasis & Quantum Class, If D+, inside passenger would not get unlimited VOOM from GS, and if Star Class, wouldn’t get drink package or unlimited dining or paid gratuities. I guess you can deduct that cost from the savings to see if it still makes sense. 

Probably makes more sense on non-Oasis/Quantum class. 

mac_tlc

We haven't been D+ in two years, but that is accurate. On Oasis ships the D+ wouldn't even get into the SL. 

But as Pinnacle, it all works for SKY class match.

On 9/7/2019 at 1:00 AM, John&LaLa said:

I think solo traveling has a lot more to do with it. Especially the rapid increase in Pinnacles.

I dont see the lounges overcrowded with millennials 

If I had held out and married a nice Pinnacle, would I get to tag along as a pseudo-Pinnacle now?  I wish I had thought of that years ago!

• Haha 2

On ‎9‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 1:37 AM, Coralc said:

You really should determine if the new son-in-law is C&A status point worthy or not. LOL :classic_biggrin: What happens if they get divorced and he re-marries, only to pass on his on his "unearned" Diamond status? <jk> :classic_biggrin::classic_huh:

That's an interesting observation.  As someone who has many many points to go before I even get to Diamond, is this scenario even a possibility?  I can see how it would be, but that's kind of crazy to think how status gets passed on to people who have made no contribution to that status they achieve.

On ‎9‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 1:26 PM, Merion_Mom said:

Two interesting points, twangster.

1. The Deluxe Beverage Package is a much better source of revenue for the cruise line.  They serve cheap free booze in the lounges.  The DBP provides much better more expensive booze.  From their viewpoint, why discount the expensive stuff?

2. "Is there really a need to change anything?"

They do change things.  For example, they created Diamond Plus.  Then they created Pinnacle.  (we can ignore the creation of Emerald; that was pointless).  They added Diamond Lounges to supplement the Concierge Lounges.  They started putting three daily vouchers on members' SeaPass accounts.

So you are saying that NOW they should stop making changes?  They have reached perfection?

It's sort of like people moving a beach resort or small coastal town. They love the charm and enjoyment.   Then it gets written up in Southern Living or some other publication as the "newest place to make a perfect new life" and everyone reads about it, visits and decides to pack in their hurried life and buy a piece of paradise.

The rush of people moves in and suddenly everything is too crowded and they want to stop the growth.  

It's the "now that I'm here, no one else should come" phenomenon.  LOL

I don't have the Diamond privilege, but I do live in a coastal town and see people acting so rude to new residents on a regular basis.

11 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

Yes, it happens.

I learn something new every day.  We don't have children so that won't ever be a concern for me, but I am always amazed at what motivates people and how people can use the system to their advantage.   Not saying it's right or wrong. Just never considered it.

On ‎9‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 3:25 PM, MaritimeR&R said:

There should be an accommodation for those who are truly traveling as a solo.  But those gaming the system, husband/wife combos who book 2 rooms for double points and consequently get many double amenities do hurt the loyalty program. Just because they can doesn't mean they should. One of these days, it's going to come back to bite us all in the butt.

And they pay solo prices for two rooms too.   If you have the money and ability to do so, I don't necessarily think that is wrong.  What special extra amenities do they get? Extra soap and shampoo?  If one can afford to purchase two cabins and pay solo pricing, I don't see how that harms anyone or hurts the loyalty program.

• Like 1

Or year or two ago we were looking at a junior suite  for the two of us.  We were at the diamond plus  150% supplement level. The J suite was a bit overpriced, but the interior cabins were next to nothing.    When we did the math, it was cheaper to get one interior cabin for my husband, and  a J suite for me.    Booking this way was actually cheaper than booking the two of us in the J suite.    

When we did the math, we factored in that he kept his gratuities in place so that his interior cabin attendant would receive tips, even though he never spent any time in that cabin. Then, we added gratuities for the suite  attendant  because my husband stayed in the junior suite with me. 

We are at the level that we receive  three gifts from crown and anchor,  and those gifts were delivered in each cabin.    It was more than just a bar of soap or shampoo, as the three bottles of wine we select total well over $ 150 on the Royal Caribbean wine list 

Since that time, whenever we are booking a suite we run the math to see if this kind of booking works for us. 

If we had to play double for each cabin it would not have been worth it. But that 50% supplement really made a big difference. 

M

I might as well ask. Our daughter went on a Bermuda cruise with us two years ago. We were either platinum or emerald, i forget which. I purchased both cabins; at the time, she was gold. Does this mean she's now our current status, just missing the points? And if she sails next year on a cruise, does she retain the new status? Just curious.

Edited by johnjen

6 hours ago, johnjen said:

I might as well ask. Our daughter went on a Bermuda cruise with us two years ago. We were either platinum or emerald, i forget which. I purchased both cabins; at the time, she was gold. Does this mean she's now our current status, just missing the points? And if she sails next year on a cruise, does she retain the new status? Just curious.

Depends on how old she was at the time, 18 is magic age where things change.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, johnjen said:

If she was 17 or under at the time she went her first cruise and she was linked with you, then she will have whatever C&A level you had when she turned 18.  She will keep that level, but only have the points she actually earned by cruising herself.

• Thanks 1

On 9/6/2019 at 10:36 PM, little britain said:

This is where the system is flawed... so the daughter A has inherited status from parents and gets married to B...

A and B are both diamond

A and B divorce

A moves in with C and C becomes diamond

B moves in with D and D becomes diamond

A and C split up.

A moves in with E and E becomes diamond

C moves in with F and F becomes diamond......

No wonder the lounge is overcrowded! 

I believe that is the way it is setup.  

On 9/7/2019 at 6:48 AM, John&LaLa said:

Our kids wanted to stop going around 15.

They wanted the money. 🤣🤣

My son is 13 now and he still wants to go with us.  Wife and I have been doing cruises every jan/feb without him for the past 4 years.  He thought he was missing out until being on Radiance this past July.  Told me that the ship was boring for him.  Reminded him that mom and dad have been sailing on sister ship Serenade in jan/feb.  Mentioned he was glad he was not on board with us for those cruises.   Said that he would be bored out of his mind for 3 weeks.