Is Celebrity Sailing On Troubled Waters?

Spif Barwunkel

A common theme among many of these threads is the dissatisfaction with the way Celebrity has been or is now doing business. From beverage package increases to charters, footstools to international ad campaigns, the chatter amongst X cruisers seems to be taking on a more negative connotation. The trend is interesting, informative and certainly important to the folks whose cruise vacations with X are not as enjoyable....for whatever reason.

This thread is intended to consolidate and highlight all concerns and disappointments rather than have them spread out over many discussions. A healthy, respectful discussion can benefit all and perhaps draw response from Celebrity executives and employees. Whether a seasoned X cruiser, a new or potential X cruiser, this is the place to speak your piece. Just remember that a negative comment or concern is much more effective when presented with valid reasoning and support. After all, we as passengers do not know everything as to the whys and wherefores. But we certainly have the right to be kept properly informed, by each other and by Celebrity. Several folks have said they will no longer patronize Celebrity. Harsh words. 

So, Is Celebrity sailing on troubled waters, or is it just a slight chop that will soon subside? Let us know what you think! 

No, I also do not think Celebrity is sailing in troubled waters.  Change is inevitable and not everyone is going to like each change.  Some I like and some I do not like.  If Celebrity had not made a single change over the last 15 years, it would most likely be in troubled waters.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Spif Barwunkel said:

A common theme among many of these threads is the dissatisfaction with the way Celebrity has been or is now doing business. From beverage package increases to charters, footstools to international ad campaigns, the chatter amongst X cruisers seems to be taking on a more negative connotation. The trend is interesting, informative and certainly important to the folks whose cruise vacations with X are not as enjoyable....for whatever reason.

This thread is intended to consolidate and highlight all concerns and disappointments rather than have them spread out over many discussions. A healthy, respectful discussion can benefit all and perhaps draw response from Celebrity executives and employees. Whether a seasoned X cruiser, a new or potential X cruiser, this is the place to speak your piece. Just remember that a negative comment or concern is much more effective when presented with valid reasoning and support. After all, we as passengers do not know everything as to the whys and wherefores. But we certainly have the right to be kept properly informed, by each other and by Celebrity. Several folks have said they will no longer patronize Celebrity. Harsh words. 

So, Is Celebrity sailing on troubled waters, or is it just a slight chop that will soon subside? Let us know what you think! 

No.  Unfo most “discussion sites” for any topic are fodder for the vocal minority who love to complain.  Heres an idea, why not start a “positive thread” meant to highlight the various positive experiences people have.

• Like 13

Look at any cruise line thread  - go back 10+ years and you will see similar conversations and similar comments. Things are so bad, cruise lines are doing the wrong things, I hate this change, I hate that change, etc.  This is noting new and a lot of this is just people venting frustrations.  Ships sail mainly full and the prices are not taking a hit so I am not seeing any troubled waters.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, mitz18 said:

No.  Unfo most “discussion sites” for any topic are fodder for the vocal minority who love to complain.  Heres an idea, why not start a “positive thread” meant to highlight the various positive experiences people have.

This would be amazing. 

To be honest, all the negativity on here has caused me to cancel more than once and go back to my tried, true, and trusted line. Based on a long discussion with the owner of the travel agency I use, I've decided to give Edge a try for Feb and am really trying to stay positive and excited about it, but being on here sometimes makes it hard. I TRY to avoid the negative posts, but it can be a challenge sometimes. 

I truly appreciate everyone who is positive and shares their positive experiences.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, mitz18 said:

Absolutely correct. As soon as I posted this I thought of that. 

Use this thread to also let  us know why X is doing absolutely fine. The exchange between positives and negatives is a good thing and X deserves the chance to be seen in the many positives that it offers. Thanks mitz18.  

Edited by Spif Barwunkel
grammar
  • Thanks 1

I  complain like many others about certain downgrades and  changes not in our favor, but we are sticking with X in the near term..

.Even more so  after reading  through review of b2b on 2 diff  MSC ships  by Wonderman.

• Like 2

I guess my only critical remark about Celebrity is the seeming lack of communication before significant changes are made. I have no idea if it's possible to both email and post coming changes and how the heck they would reach EVERY customer, current and past. But, maybe they should give it a shot so they can always say, "We tried to get the word out".

For example, one day they started charging for grilled burgers where the burgers had previously been no charge, but apparently a lesser quality meat product. That went over like flatulence in church, of course, and the feedback was so strong that the policy changed in just a couple days.

Then, most recently, again without notice of any kind. free in-room movies were removed. Backlash occurred and that policy change was reversed, again within days.

Bottom line for me is we have a great time on cruises and enjoy being pampered. We pay extra for Suite class because we enjoy the product. We don't watch TV, other than the ship channel to see where we are and where we are going, so free movies are not an issue for us. We don't get free burgers from the outside grill, so that's not an issue for us.

I don't see that Celebrity is really doing anything other than running a business and trying to stay afloat.

12 minutes ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

I TRY to avoid the negative posts, but it can be a challenge sometimes. 

Best to keep it all in perspective. Each opinion is just that. One opinion, and not likely to be shared by many others, sometimes. I read the opinions for both informative and entertainment value. Some make my roll my eyes, others make me smile, and if I took them seriously, some might actually make me a bit sad that some folks deem themselves so damned important that they have lost perspective about how unimportant they really are.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

This would be amazing. 

To be honest, all the negativity on here has caused me to cancel more than once and go back to my tried, true, and trusted line. Based on a long discussion with the owner of the travel agency I use, I've decided to give Edge a try for Feb and am really trying to stay positive and excited about it, but being on here sometimes makes it hard. I TRY to avoid the negative posts, but it can be a challenge sometimes. 

I truly appreciate everyone who is positive and shares their positive experiences.

We've sailed on the Edge twice and have Apex booked for 2020.

I hope you will board the Edge with an open mind. It is something different, innovative and IMO, refreshing. We enjoyed it and hope your experience will be positive too. 😊

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, C-Dragons said:

We've sailed on the Edge twice and have Apex booked for 2020.

I hope you will board the Edge with an open mind. It is something different, innovative and IMO, refreshing. We enjoyed it and hope your experience will be positive too. 😊

Thanks! I am excited about it! Knowing that B had an amazing time on it makes it a bit easier to keep the negative nellies at bay. 😄

• Like 3

One could apply Charles Darwin's theory of evolution to Celebrity (or any cruise line for that).

Either evolve / change or die.

What price did passengers pay 10 or 15 years ago  compared with today?

I have to laugh at some of the things that make people say "I will never sail with celebrity again" (foot stools, drinking straws, free movies in the cabin) - I say good ridance to the.

People forget cruising is fun and a vacation.

Carry on Celebrity - you are doing just fine.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, hcat said:

I  complain like many others about certain downgrades and  changes not in our favor, but we are sticking with X in the near term..

.Even more so  after reading  through review of b2b on 2 diff  MSC ships  by Wonderman.

I agree but we'll keep looking at MSC for a deal in the YC we can't refuse.  Unless a great deal materializes, we'll continue sailing on X.

21 minutes ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

This would be amazing. 

w - stay strong in your convictions and thoughts....

Take into consideration that the number of people who post here represent only a small sliver of the passenger universe of those who sail on X, which in all reality is not even a representative sampling.

Have a glass of wine at the ready when coming to these boards for info... LOL, it or the bottle will help you laugh through it all!

This is not to say that there are never any 'legitimate' info coming from here, just have to really wade through them and know that you will have a great sailing and enjoy it.. will there be issues? Of course. Solvable, most instances, Yes.

Have fun, please. Sail with abandonment. Take in as much or as little as you choose...

bon voyage

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, ipeeinthepool said:

I agree but we'll keep looking at MSC for a deal in the YC we can't refuse.  Unless a great deal materializes, we'll continue sailing on X.

We are doing MSC next week in the YC on Preziosa after 20 Celebrity cruises. The reason Celebrity wanted around £12k for a 11 night in a SS, MSC wanted £4k for 9 nights in the YC. Got to be worth a try, That was how we found Celebrity in 2012.

We had done 6 Princess cruises, the last being a 20 night B2B in the Caribbean. Went to book exactly the same for the next year but the price had gone up by 40%. TA recommended trying Celebrity and 20 Cruises later we are trying MSC.

We still have 4 Celebrity and one Azamara booked (which is 17 nights in one of the big suites at the front and is £2k cheaper than that 11 Nights in a SS I mentioned) and will probably be looking to book 2022 when on either the Edge or the Silhouette in February.

I think if you did a look over other lines boards you will find that they are as full of gripes and complaints as this one is can be at times. People tend to post what they don't like rather than what they do like.

Edited by Gordoncruickshank
  • Like 1

No

We just spent B2B on Equinox and had stellar service/food etc

We are trying out a "new to us" other line in early 2020 and are cancelling a X cruise during that time-- but it is to try something different. 

We are also booking on a lux line -- in order to get tours etc for an exotic route

25 minutes ago, Bo1953 said:

Take into consideration that the number of people who post here represent only a small sliver of the passenger universe of those who sail on X, which in all reality is not even a representative sampling

Great point. I had forgotten this twist, and it's so accurate.

• Thanks 1

The nature of the internet is that a higher percentage of customers who dislike something and post will outnumber the percentage who enjoy a product and post,  trip advisor reviews are an example of that. I found very few individuals on our cruise unhappy about anything in truth. We had a couple of issues that I will take up with Celebrity over the next few days but overall we still loved the cruise. It’s only the increasing prices that will limit our future number of cruises with them but we will certainly cruise the Caribbean with them again should the prices remain competitive. 

Edited by yorky
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, Gordoncruickshank said:

We are doing MSC next week in the YC on Preziosa after 20 Celebrity cruises. The reason Celebrity wanted around £12k for a 11 night in a SS, MSC wanted £4k for 9 nights in the YC. Got to be worth a try, That was how we found Celebrity in 2012.

We had done 6 Princess cruises, the last being a 20 night B2B in the Caribbean. Went to book exactly the same for the next year but the price had gone up by 40%. TA recommended trying Celebrity and 20 Cruises later we are trying MSC.

We still have 4 Celebrity and one Azamara booked (which is 17 nights in one of the big suites at the front and is £2k cheaper than that 11 Nights in a SS I mentioned) and will probably be looking to book 2022 when on either the Edge or the Silhouette in February.

I think if you did a look over other lines boards you will find that they are as full of gripes and complaints as this one is can be at times. People tend to post what they don't like rather than what they do like.

Are you doing a live or semi-live review?  I hope you can find a way to let us know your impressions of MSC.  Hopefully the service is  better than Wonderman has experienced over the last few weeks.  The I don't care attitude is a non-starter for me.

• Like 1

Just now, ipeeinthepool said:

Are you doing a live or semi-live review?  I hope you can find a way to let us know your impressions of MSC.  Hopefully the service is  better than Wonderman has experienced over the last few weeks.  The I don't care attitude is a non-starter for me.

I did read his reviews so know the sort of issues they experienced. We are cruising with friends so I am unlikely to do anything live but I will post when we return. I have to say that I had built up an expectation of having a great cruise but those reviews made me a shade wary. I have been following the MSC board since we booked and up until those reviews were posted there were very few giving anything other than good reviews.

At the moment I probably feel that the review may have been down to their expectations not matching the reality or what the norm is in the US but that may just be me. We board next Friday! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Spif Barwunkel said:

Having read this forum before our last cruise and the constant criticism of the new EDGE I would have said 'Yes'. Having had one of the best cruises we have ever had, on probably the most beautiful modern ship (with probably our favourite cabin ever) we have ever sailed on, then my answer is a massive "NO!" :-)

Edited by Presto2
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1