Internet for elite members

maggieq

No I wouldn’t include any perks in deciding what is the best cruise line.

However the cost of internet packages does seem completely exorbitant on Celebrity.

i don’t think I will be wasting my money on internet access.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Last time I cruised X (2014!) internet packages were sold by minutes, and I could log onto my cabin's package from any of my devices (phone or laptop). We are Elite, so we had 180 minutes between us, and I used most of it with hubby just using a bit to check sports and the markets. If we went over the 180, I just had to buy another package based on how much cruise was left.

Now they seem to have only unlimited plans, and each device needs its own account? How does that work with the CC benefit? Or if we expect to use more than 90 minutes or one device each, we need to just take the discount on the unlimited plan and not get any free minutes?

Nevermind! I did a search and all is explained 😀

We can use free minute account on as many different devices as we want, just one at a time. And by the time we run out of minutes, the unlimited use packages may be half price.

Crisis crunched.

Welcome back to Celebrity.

The  internet is not just for one device, it is for one device at  a time.  Celebrity makes it very easy to switch devices by disconnecting the other device when logging in your new device with the same log in.

The  best strategy IMO is to upgrade one person to an unlimited package. (With the Elite discount) And use the 90 minutes for the second person and share the one log in as much as possible.  Just use the 90 minute benefit when you both are using the internet at the same time.

I see you figured it out.  Never mind the never mind.

Enjoy your cruise.

Edited by jagoffee
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

The annoying thing about Celebrity's unlimited Internet packages is they don't immediately prorate the cost. In other words if you were to sign up to a whole cruise package on Day 2, it's the same price as if you signed up on Day 1. It's like that until several days into the cruise. That's bad business practice.  

3 hours ago, grandgeezer said:

If you make it to Elite Plus, it's 240 minutes per person per cruise. We very seldom use half of them even on the longer cruise, say fourteen days.

Yes but now its not even really an Elite plus  perk anymore.  When you book its included along with drinks and grats, for which you are paying a lot extra for.

5 hours ago, kwokpot said:

The annoying thing about Celebrity's unlimited Internet packages is they don't immediately prorate the cost. In other words if you were to sign up to a whole cruise package on Day 2, it's the same price as if you signed up on Day 1. It's like that until several days into the cruise. That's bad business practice.  

Does it matter since any new bookings include unlimited internet?  Pretty much a moot point.

1 hour ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

Does it matter since any new bookings include unlimited internet?  Pretty much a moot point.

To be clear, unless you are booking a suite the included internet is a  Unlimited Surf package vs the Captains Club Elite/Elite + internet perk high which  is a Unlimited Stream package.  

17 hours ago, jelayne said:

To be clear, unless you are booking a suite the included internet is a  Unlimited Surf package vs the Captains Club Elite/Elite + internet perk high which  is a Unlimited Stream package.  

Not sure I understand this, could you expound.

21 hours ago, jelayne said:

What is the difference between a Surf package and a Stream package?  

I believe the difference is the bandwidth. The surf should be adequate for checking emails and surfing the internet. Passengers report mixed experiences when trying to watch online video from Youtube, Facebook, FaceTime, etc. The Stream package is supposed to be able to be adequate for downloads, Netflix, Hulu, etc. We've had unlimited internet on our past 3 cruises as a perk, but don't recall there being a distinction between the two products. We mainly used internet for emails, general internet use, app games, and easily downloaded books from our local library.

On 11/24/2019 at 12:24 PM, WestLakeGirl said:

But more generous than Royal Caribbean.  But that surely isn’t the criterion you use to decide which line is better?

the Elite cocktail time is much more generous than Princess, by the way

The elite cocktail hour is one of the best perks. 

On 1/23/2021 at 5:42 PM, drakes2 said:

The elite cocktail hour is one of the best perks. 

On Royal, or Celebrity? I've been Elite since 2012 and never been to it as I always get a drink package. 

9 hours ago, ORV said:

On Royal, or Celebrity? I've been Elite since 2012 and never been to it as I always get a drink package. 

Elite Cocktail hour is from 5-7pm on Celebrity.  We were last on Celebrity in 2018 and they were just starting to allow Elite drinks from any bar, instead of just the Sky lounge.

We sailed Royal in 2019 and their times for free drinks in the Diamond Lounge, were from 5-8.30, but this also included the dining room. 

I didn’t care for the Internet perk on Royal, it was free for 24 hours ( once per cruise).

This meant that many hours during the night was useless. I did try to log on early one sea day when I woke at 06.30, but was unable to until 09.00. It didn’t switch off until 10.30.

Princess has the best internet hours, 240 minutes for Platinum status ( comparable to Elite on Celebrity). However, if I ever get to Elite + on Celebrity, I would have got the same number of minutes.
Now, with AI it will now be ‘Free’, but what a cost!!!🥵

• Like 1