Comfy chair in Balcony Cabin

Travelmadoldie

We have just completed a cruise on the Coral Princess and found that there are no 2nd, comfortable (tub chairs) chairs in the cabins. No one seemed to know why they had been removed.

All the current literature and plans of the cabins show them but.....

Has anyone found a reason for their removal - the obvious is to make the cabin uncomfortable so that you spend more time in a 'spending' environment.

More importantly how do we get them back

They removed that chair to save space.

Many people pretended to quit cruising with princess when they did so. They might pretend they’re going to again on this thread.

They are almost certainly not coming back.

Edited by bemis12
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

We also noticed on the new Sky Princess last month that the balcony cabins were missing their second chair (tub chair?) which I liked for more comfortable seating.  We ended up bringing one of the outside deck chairs into the room with the outside table on occasion to play cards, watch a movie etc. 

I was not aware and am disappointed that the second chairs have also been removed from the Coral Princess (we are scheduled for a south America cruise later next year on the Coral) which likely means the second chairs and tables?? have likely been removed from all Princess balcony cabins.   Not sure this was a good move!!

• Like 1

Very dumb move by Princess. More negative comments than positive. On older ships we requested a 2nd chair on boarding day and received one.

If Princess really want to save space as they mention they should have replaced the barrel chair with a cushioned folding chair.

• Like 6

15 minutes ago, martinitime1 said:

I do know they are still in the MS's..we had a MS on the Coral and had a barrel chair. Wonder what they did with them all?

If they are still supplied in the Mini Suites & Premium Balcony rooms that means that they (most likely) will have replacement chairs available just in case some break down during the cruise.

That also means that we are going to ask our cabin steward for one of those replacement chairs for our next cruise on the Coral 👍☺️.

Theo

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Colo Cruiser said:

Old news and well beaten.  

No no. On Christmas Eve the barrel chair threads are the gifts that keep on giving. 

1 hour ago, martinitime1 said:

I do know they are still in the MS's..we had a MS on the Coral and had a barrel chair. Wonder what they did with them all?

Right, they are in MS and "up". In other words, in cabins with sofas, you get a second chair. In cabins with no place for the second person to sit but the bed, you do not. 

In a balcony cabin, you can always bring the balcony chair in -- and take up even more space -- but in OVs and insides, you do not have that option.

I have cancelled two Princess cruises that would have been DH and me in an OV. There were other factors, but our comfort in our own cabin was definitely one of them. 

I've actually never sailed with Princess before, -- something always comes up to make me cancel -- so I can't say I've sworn off the line, as @bemis12 objects to. But it appears that I will only sail with them when I can rationalize booking a mini-suite. Sailing from my homeport is one of those rationales.

• Like 1

Removing the barrel chairs was a brain dead decision and continual complaints on cc is the only solution.  It may be old news but keep the complaints up and perhaps princess will pull its head out of wherever and put them back.  Last cruise we brought one of the patio chairs into the room which of course took up more room.  It was a lot more comfortable than the barrel chair.  Room steward left it alone.  We replaced it on the balcony the last morning.  

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, sailco said:

Urgh.....designed to make you spend as little time on your balcony as possible.

Finally an explanation that makes sense!!!

ETA: Wait, I read this as why no barrel chair -- not to spend time in lower-priced cabins. If the pax can't spend the $$$ to stay in a mini-suite or higher, drive them out of their staterooms and into the money-making parts of the ship. 

THAT is what makes sense.

Edited by crystalspin
  • Haha 1

It's actually deluxe balcony and above, not just mini suite and above 😃

24 minutes ago, crystalspin said:

Finally an explanation that makes sense!!!

ETA: Wait, I read this as why no barrel chair -- not to spend time in lower-priced cabins. If the pax can't spend the $$$ to stay in a mini-suite or higher, drive them out of their staterooms and into the money-making parts of the ship. 

THAT is what makes sense.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, NoWhiners said:

I get very confused by the cabin designators. Does anyone know if a B4 on CB is a deluxe balcony (and therefore has a chair)?

A B4 is a Premium Balcony according to their deck plan. Yes, I think it will have the 2nd chair.

Theo

On 12/24/2019 at 4:25 PM, Travelmadoldie said:

We have just completed a cruise on the Coral Princess and found that there are no 2nd, comfortable (tub chairs) chairs in the cabins. No one seemed to know why they had been removed.

All the current literature and plans of the cabins show them but.....

Has anyone found a reason for their removal - the obvious is to make the cabin uncomfortable so that you spend more time in a 'spending' environment.

More importantly how do we get them back

Ask your cabin steward for a 2nd chair. We did on our TA on Emerald in November and just got off the Coral this morning from Antarctica cruise with the same result. Both delivered on day of embarkation. Ask and ye' shall receive....

On 12/24/2019 at 9:38 PM, MissP22 said:

One less item to get in our way in the cabin. 

If a stateroom can't accommodate a simple chair it speaks volumes about the accommodations. After sailing on other lines that provide a small sofa and a shower that will accommodate an average size human I find it very difficult to return to Princess. We never spent much time in our room but now that I have other experiences on other lines I now know why. 

• Like 2