Transferring to TA ..miss 60day deadline

Hi, (Merry Christmas to all celebrating today!)

What happens exactly if I miss the 60day deadline to transfer my booking to a TA?

Can I transfer the booking still, but perhaps lose the OBC that I received as I booked on-board?

Or does the booking need to be cancelled then rebooked with the TA risking losing the cabin?

(I really don’t want to transfer my booking but I am getting a little frustrated with the celebrity reps (one told me I had 90 days prior to sailing to transfer my booking!)  I am waiting to talk to a cruise planner who will hopefully straighten everything out for me)

I always thought it was 90 days as well ... 

I've heard on the rare occasion, they will allow you to go slightly past the deadline.  The best thing is probably have your TA work on it for you.  They know just the right words to use and that way you won't lose the cabin you want.  

Let us know how it works out.  

First off the FAQ from Celebrity -

Q.

Can I transfer my reservation to a travel agent if I purchased my cruise directly from Celebrity Cruises?

A.

Bookings may only be transferred to a Travel Agent up until 60 days from creation if the request is made outside of Final Payment period and the booking is not paid in full. If a booking has a ChoiceAir ticket and the transfer request involves a change in currency we cannot accommodate a transfer. If you would like to transfer your reservation to a travel agent, please complete this form

I guess I would try your agent and see what they can negotiate.   I know my agent tells me they are really strict on the 60 days unless there is a circumstance beyond your control.    I had one that was within a day of expiration and Celebrity's program to make the transfer was down for a couple days.   She called and was granted an exception and was able to transfer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Oville said:

There is an agent in the northeast (NE) who can transfer after 60 days and they give good perks

I think I use the same one and they do so much business with Celebrity that you can transfer way past the 60 days as long as it is not past final payment.  I know because I have done it.

5 minutes ago, jelayne said:

If it is the same TA we use we have never had a problem reaching customer service.  Wanted 3 cruises repriced last week.  Left a voice mail at Customer Service after they were closed for the day  and got a call the next morning to confirm the changes were made and confirming emails  before noon.  The agents that handle booking do just that Booking and transfers; most changes to the booking once made are handled by a Customer Service team who for us have been excellent.

i am sure it is the same one, but I had a great one prior, so that made it seem even worse.  I also sent a friend to them, and she had the same issues.  I even canceled and lost $100 to not have to deal with them.  I am happy that you have had great service, and I do have the name of a great agent if I want to return.  Do you receive an extra $25 additional OBC for every cruise that you take?  Three cruises=$75 and so forth...

Edited by Lastdance

I have been using that big box place too for about 3 years with nothing but good results on deals, re-pricing, move ups. Always done with a smile.  Because Celebrity has mead pricing so complicated with deals and perks and NRD vs RD stuff sometimes the price I already have is better than a current deal and they are good at explaining to me. I started using them when the big on in Florida started refusing to so price checks and upgrades after final payment..   The reality is we all have choices and we have to do what works best for us.  

• Like 1

I have been using the same agency and the same agent for over 5 years and I have never ever had any issue with her or them.

I know its the same agency that you are speaking about.

You just have to understand that the agent is there for 12 reason to make the bookings and that they have a really large customer service department to handle after the sale issues.

They are so good that if I change something with "X", ie....an upgrade, they send me a confirmation email and tell me to make sure that I upgrade the insurance as well.

If the OP is using them, then they should have no problem transferring the booking.

When we book on board for a future cruise, we automatically let them know that we are going to transfer it to our TA.

Howard

30 minutes ago, cruising in mn said:

I am a TA, and you cannot transfer at 90 days. No agent can. So if one tells you they can, then they are either not telling the truth, or they've found someone at Celebrity that is breaking the rules. 

Wrong, sorry but you are.

1 hour ago, cluso said:

Are y'all talking about a big box agency or an online agency?

I was talking about a online TA.  I stopped using the big box when they stopped giving OBC and switched to a gift card.  The stores are too far from us to shop there so gift card was of no use to us. 

In the past 10 years we have used 5 different TAs , 2 brick & mortar, 2 online and the big box.  The brick & mortars, big box, and the 1 online have all been excellent.  One online screwed with pricing  between what their invoice showed and what the actual booking was and was costing us over $1800.    The other online TA bailed us out of $1200 of the mess and were instrumental in getting X to assist.  The brick and mortar were excellent but they couldn’t compete with the others for OBC or added perks.  
We book where we get the best deal and best customer service. 
We have cancelled or moved bookings and so far have never been charged the $ 50 cancellation fee, but if we were I figure they have saved us way more in group rates, OBC and added perks it is worth it.

Edited by jelayne
Added
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Oville said:

But I do believe that if you book directly with Celebrity and transfer to this agency they waive the $50 per person charge if you cancel.  Also, the 60 day transfer period is waived.

I did book with Celebrity and the transferred to this company...gofigure.  I was told that this company could not tell me if my cruise price would give OBC or something else, but it would be over &1,150.  My TA gives back $ on your credit card if  you do not spend it all.  So, it looks like I was given very poor service and information, along with it.

3 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Our Celebrity Vacation Planner that we've had for over 7 years now told us a few years back that if you book directly with Celebrity and then subsequently transfer that booking to a TA, that CVP gets absolutely NO credit for even booking the cruise. Have any of you heard this? 

I think that it is that way across the business.  If you don't hold the booking at the time of final payment and sailing, it doesn't matter if you originally booked it.  No commission (or no credit).

It really is like that in every kind of business based on commission or credit, whether it be cars or appliances or real estate.  If the deal doesn't "close" then no dice.

• Like 1

...and with Celebrity's constantly changing policies the confusion is monumental.  Four of my bookings are suites, and the other two are SV's, but I can cancel, move all cruises around or whatever not incurring a fee.  I do have a NRD coming up in May with this big box company; do any of you know if the airline fee is paid at the same time as the cruise final payment date?  I called them and received a yes and a no answer, as I called twice.  Furthermore, what about the additional $25 when a person you recommended finsihes her cruise?  The big box also lost a cruise on Flora, but all they were giving was a $500 card!  My cruise was over &22,000!  Maybe we are seeing some changes all the way around for cruising in the future...isn't Celebrity in charge of how much TA's can make on a particular cruise?

Edited by Lastdance

28 minutes ago, Lastdance said:

I did book with Celebrity and the transferred to this company...gofigure.  I was told that this company could not tell me if my cruise price would give OBC or something else, but it would be over &1,150.  My TA gives back $ on your credit card if  you do not spend it all.  So, it looks like I was given very poor service and information, along with it.

We switched to this agency when the TA we had been working with at the Central Florida online company left.  After a few hiccups with the NE group we are back using the FL agency and they also give the 10% OBC or a credit card refund post cruise.  BTW, the person we work with now is really good so we’re sticking with her.

Edited by Oville

55 minutes ago, Oville said:

We switched to this agency when the TA we had been working with at the Central Florida online company left.  After a few hiccups with the NE group we are back using the FL agency and they also give the 10% OBC or a credit card refund post cruise.  BTW, the person we work with now is really good so we’re sticking with her.

I have been doing tons of research lately to look at many different agencies, their policies, along with extra perks.  For now, I am staying the course, but will certainly shop around based on time frame, extra perks and ease of communication.  If I am happy, that's all that  matters, I guess.  thanks so much for sharing your perspective!

Edited by Lastdance

2 hours ago, PSU said:

I use the big box agency all the time and you don’t need to use the cash card at the store. On the next cruise we be getting over $1,000 and we are able to get cash or a check.

It depends on where you live - there are many places (and from being on other forums, it's increasing) where you are not allowed to cash it in - you have to use it in the store.

Edited by WrittenOnYourHeart

We transferred a cruise to a TA almost a year after booking onboard.  Having used this TA in the past, we had decided not to in the future so had told Celebrity not to transfer it.  The TA  found out and asked would we please transfer it.  After hearing no from me several times, he offered $400 OBC so I said, sure.  Celebrity initially said no to the TA,  but after I wrote a short note,  it was quickly transferred.   This happened about 18 months ago.  

We are currently dealing with this same issue. For the first time ever we made a future deposit onboard. Told them we use different travel agents for our bookings told this is no issue.

Just now trying to make a new booking and being told we cannot transfer the existing booking due to the 60 days, there is nothing in our printed terms and conditions about this inability to transfer and we certainly were not told about it.

Been on the phone for more than an hour, they have admitted it is policy not to tell about the 60 days! Straight out dishonesty. I cannot get the obc promotion now unless I book with Celebrity at a higher price!