19 YO - Alcohol In Port

Hi Canadian here.  In our jurisdiction, 19 is the legal drinking age.  We are cruising in May on HOS out of Port Canaveral.

We are rule abiding people and understand and respect RCCL's legal age of 21 years old.

My question is, while in ports (2 in Mexico), does RCCL have a policy of checking 18-20 year old passengers for alcohol consumption when they are re boarding from those jurisdictions.

So as there is a grey line between local jurisdiction and RCCL policy, are they known to enforce their policy for reboarding 18-20 year olds who are not exhibiting any bad signs or behavior generally associated with over consumption?

No, we don't intend for anyone to get inebriated while in port, but it would be nice if she could have a drink or 2 while in ports without worrying about being denied reboarding.  No we don't need to drink to have fun.  No we don't have dependency issues.

On another note, is thee any way to effectively search these forums.  I'm sure this question has been asked many times before, but I was unable to find any such threads.  I have very strong google foo in general and I'm a programmer by trade but I can never seem to figure out forum searches.

18 minutes ago, bagadonitz said:

On another note, is thee any way to effectively search these forums.  I'm sure this question has been asked many times before, but I was unable to find any such threads.  I have very strong google foo in general and I'm a programmer by trade but I can never seem to figure out forum searches.

Limit the search to this forum, all my words results in

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/search/?q=legal drinking age&type=forums_topic&nodes=51&search_and_or=and

image.png.864d7ac6befcfba019cf541b25ebd63b.png

11 hours ago, spookwife said:

They will only get involved if you come staggering back obviously inebriated.  And that does include being refused back on board if it’s bad enough.  ( belligerence, puking everywhere, etc). 

we have seen plenty of drunk, staggering, puking guests coming back on board.  According to RCI security a guest who adds belligerence to the mix might be confined to cabin or even locked in the brig for a night,  but not left behind.

1 hour ago, crazyank said:

we have seen plenty of drunk, staggering, puking guests coming back on board.  According to RCI security a guest who adds belligerence to the mix might be confined to cabin or even locked in the brig for a night,  but not left behind.

After an excursion involving copious amounts of rum punch and no food in Labadee, I certainly came back both drunk and staggering...thankfully not puking! A little nap and a big steak at Chops fixed me right up. 

1 hour ago, crazyank said:

Agree seen lots of drunks coming back to the ship , mostly amateur drinkers , I am a professional.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, George C said:

Mexico will serve anyone that has money 

I have stated before, the first time I was in Nassau (MANY years ago), the drinking age was being tall enough to put the money on the counter and grab the bottle. 😄

• Like 3

19 hours ago, spookwife said:

They will only get involved if you come staggering back obviously inebriated.  And that does include being refused back on board if it’s bad enough.  ( belligerence, puking everywhere, etc). 

Actually saw this happen. Young Lady was throwing up, stumbling back to Ship with assistance, Ambulance called. Not sure she made back on board 

On 1/30/2020 at 3:06 PM, bagadonitz said:

The search engine is useless even if you narrow down the search fields. It either brings up old threads with outdated information or a million threads and posts that contain only the words you searched but has nothing to do with your question.

Drink price threads, dress code threads and tipping threads are always up to date and usually always on the first page. However you may not like the replies.

• Haha 1

By far the best way to search the boards is to use google and limit your query to the site:

underage drinking in port site:boards-cruisecritic-com

You can do the same thing for the member reviews on the site:

port drinking 18 site:cruisecritic-com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm

It wouldn't let me post the exact query string, but substitute dots for the dashes when you type into google yourself, otherwise just click on above to go to those two query examples.

Edited by five.

On 1/30/2020 at 2:06 PM, bagadonitz said:

I know you are asking about drinking on shore and as others have stated, go for it.  However, the search option in any web site does not work.  I don't purchase many things on line because I cannot find them at the store.  Whomever creates these search engines for web sites do not know how they are supposed to work. At least in MHO.  Thanks for letting me rant.

Enjoy Mexico and make sure you don't drink too much on shore so you make it back to the ship.