SAILAWAY INVITE - NOT CONCIERGE CLASS

elaineb

1 minute ago, kenevenpar said:

What Sail Away are you referring to?

If you are in Concierge Class (and above?) you get an invitation to be on the helicopter deck for Sail Away.  There is champagne and it is just a very nice experience.  I am not sure if they do it from every port or just from one on your cruise.

We received an invitation on Equinox when we were in a veranda cabin--I assumed it was because of Captain's Club (although we're only Select level).  We didn't receive one when we were on Summit in a veranda several months later.

Edited by hiccups

1 minute ago, upwarduk said:

We have been invited a couple of times as Captain’s Club Elite members.

Never yet been in Concierge, but we will be on our next cruise.

Same here for us.

We were invited to the helipad sail-away in Santorini in a regular balcony, but we were traveling with our travel agent friend and a group of 29, so I think he arranged that.

We were invited to the helipad sail-in to Akureyri, Iceland in a Concierge cabin and to Hilo, HI sail-away in Aqua. I guessed that those were due to cabins. We have enjoyed it every time, but Akureyri takes the cake. 

• Like 2

A few years ago on a b2b in Europe on the Constellation, we received 3 invitations. Two were for the roll calls on the respective cruises, one the embarkation sailaway from Venice and the second cruise was leaving Santorini.  The third time was on the first cruise as we sailed from Malta; this was for Concierge Class passengers.  It was so much fun as that was the last visit to Malta for the Connie that season, and since the ship is registered in Valletta, as we left the harbor all the cannons were shot and fireworks were shot off.

45 minutes ago, kenevenpar said:

I do not recall that in CC on Summit, only when we were in a suite.  I do recall a sail away when we were in CC leaving Bermuda, but that was aft in the MUTS area.  Nice with sparkling wine and some light canapes. 

It is not a written Concierge perk, its up to each ship.....

• Like 2

The helipad sailaway is usually by groups such as  Retreat/MC passengers,  group bookings and some recommended Captain's Club members. Always invited, but only occasionally attend. Now the Bridge sail ways are very special. Captain Tasos had Zeniths see the whales from the Bridge. Captain Berdos had us along with others go to the Bridge to see the passage through the Gatun Locks. R. Manetas invited us to the Bridge as we left Lisbon. 

You can always ask the CC Host for an invitation and they might be able to honor it.

Edited by Orator

1 hour ago, elaineb said:

If you are in Concierge Class (and above?) you get an invitation to be on the helicopter deck for Sail Away.  There is champagne and it is just a very nice experience.  I am not sure if they do it from every port or just from one on your cruise.

this would be wonderful . we are in summit in june so hope we get this out of NYC. anyone familiar with summit know if this is the norm

If this is a perk of booking (and paying) for Concierge Class or for those that paid for a suite or have earned status, why would it be fair to offer it to someone that did not pay for or earn the privilege? I keep seeing these types of questions and they always make me go "huh?". 

I have never, and it seems highly unlikely, that I would ask for something to which I am not entitled. I see people with things all the time that I covet, yet know I can't have (e.g. the CEO of our company has a reserved parking spot, the admirals club lounge at the airport, the extra long massage during a pedicure when I only paid for the "classic").

• Like 10

We have been invited twice long ago.  Things seem to have changed and I think Concierge class gets the invitations.  We were in a suite once and didn't get the invitation but learned later that all suites were invited.  We had changed our cabin from AQ days before the cruise and I guess the invitation went to our other cabin. 

I asked the CC host once who gets these invitations and if we could request one, but she said it was not up to her.

On a sailing out of Bermuda once, the whole ship was invited on the Celebrity Today.  I don't know what they would have done if everyone turned up!

It's a nice perk.

I have been invited to the helipad sailaway twice in just regular balcony cabins.  I have always suspected it was maybe because of our cruisecritic meet and greet group?  I didn't even realize the first time that it was such an honour - but have read since that it is not all that common - very nice :) 

27 minutes ago, JennyB1977 said:

If this is a perk of booking (and paying) for Concierge Class or for those that paid for a suite or have earned status, why would it be fair to offer it to someone that did not pay for or earn the privilege? I keep seeing these types of questions and they always make me go "huh?". 

I have never, and it seems highly unlikely, that I would ask for something to which I am not entitled. I see people with things all the time that I covet, yet know I can't have (e.g. the CEO of our company has a reserved parking spot, the admirals club lounge at the airport, the extra long massage during a pedicure when I only paid for the "classic").

Sail away or sail in on the helipad are not included with booking any class of cabin.  These invitations are often done for a group - suite guests, Captains Club Elite+, a travel agent's  group, AQ class, Concierge class, guests selected by the CC Host/Hostess.

We have been invited a number of times and most times we had to ask why we were invited.