Do You Walk Barefoot in Your Cabin?

need2cruisesoon

I don't consider myself a germaphobe at all....sandals on my feet are just very comfortable to me.....slide in and out

of them.  Easy Peasy!

Different strokes for different folks:classic_smile:

• Like 1

20 hours ago, need2cruisesoon said:

Needless to say I am a bit of a germaphobe when it comes to air travel, cruising and hotel rooms.

But in my cabin I'm always wearing flip flops or socks because the carpeting gives me the shudders. Stuff grows in carpet.

I mean do they just vacuum the carpeting after the termination of a cruise or do they shampoo on a regular basis?

Thanks,

Need2Cruise

The only time I walk barefooted on a cruise or anywhere else is in a shower.

Well, I have never worried about going barefoot around the cabin, and I have never suffered for it.  I am not a germaphobe, so this might not be useful, but I never gave it a thought, and nothing ever happened. 

• Like 4

On 2/14/2020 at 4:35 PM, navybankerteacher said:

How about at the beach ?  Actually I feel safer going barefoot outside around my house than in a hotel or on a ship.

I don't typically walk barefoot on the beach because I'm that person who will get a sliver of shell embedded into my foot.  It even happened on the sandy bottom of the swim up bar at the Inter-Continental in Tahiti.  😱

First thing I do when I get home from work is take of shoes/socks/sandals and go bare foot.  Same thing happens on a ship.  I'm still alive to talk about and never gotten sick over it.  If only I could do it at work too.  I do slip my feet out of shoes under my desk every once in a while where no one can see my shoeless feet.  Socks stay on though.

• Like 3

Yep and to the horror of the lady next to me at Royal Farms earlier this week, I pumped gas barefoot LOL (I had worn new heels all day and needed a rest)

Like someone said earlier I like being barefoot. When I was a kid I'd run out of the house in the summer shoe-less and be gone all day. I only wear slippers or moccasins at home when my feet are cold.

Edited by JennyB1977
  • Like 1

On 2/15/2020 at 12:24 AM, ducklite said:

I travel with "hotel slippers" even though I've had them in my cabin in every cruise I've been on.  It would be my luck the one time I didn't though...  Walk around on the floor in a hotel or cabin in wet socks come time and see what they look like after a minute or two.  You'll never go barefoot in one again.

I completely agree with you! In addition to the fact that there's a great chance to get your socks dirty, you can also get sick with something 

2 hours ago, Ava79 said:

I completely agree with you! In addition to the fact that there's a great chance to get your socks dirty, you can also get sick with something 

As you can with opening doors, stepping into the shower, etc.

• Like 1

On 2/15/2020 at 9:54 AM, Joebucks said:

If you are a germophobe, you probably shouldn't cruise at all

Yup.

I go barefoot in my cabin, and I go barefoot elsewhere on the ship too - not to restaurants, but to grab a coffee, go to the library, or go to the computer room, etc.  I'm barefoot as much as possible at home too (unless I need socks for warmth). 

• Like 2

I'm not a germaphobe, but I feel more comfortable wearing slippers in the cabin, than going barefoot.  DH wears his socks in the cabin, but at night for trips to the bathroom, he goes barefoot.  We haven't contracted any dread diseases . . . yet.  😉

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

I wear cheap slippers in the cabin and in hotel rooms.  Hubby wears his socks until he goes to bed and then he removes them.  I can recall only one hotel room carpet that turned the bottoms of his dry socks black.  That was kind of disturbing, but it was only that one time that it has happened and we stay in a lot of hotel rooms.  I don't really differentiate between a cabin or a hotel room.  They both serve the same purpose and get heavy use/traffic.

3 minutes ago, DawnInCal said:

I wear cheap slippers in the cabin and in hotel rooms.  Hubby wears his socks until he goes to bed and then he removes them.  I can recall only one hotel room carpet that turned the bottoms of his dry socks black.  That was kind of disturbing, but it was only that one time that it has happened and we stay in a lot of hotel rooms.  I don't really differentiate between a cabin or a hotel room.  They both serve the same purpose and get heavy use/traffic.

Do you do this for dirt or for cooties? That may be the crux of this issue.

I do it mainly to avoid dirt.  I don't want what comes in on the bottoms of our shoes (dog poo, spit, motor oil, etc.) to get on the bottoms of my bare feet.

I figure the real cooties are on the tv remote, light switches and door knobs and those I do wipe down before settling in to a room.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, DawnInCal said:

I do it mainly to avoid dirt.  I don't want what comes in on the bottoms of our shoes (dog poo, spit, motor oil, etc.) to get on the bottoms of my bare feet.

I figure the real cooties are on the tv remote, light switches and door knobs and those I do wipe down before settling in to a room.

If you are wiping down the remote, light switches, etc. do you also wipe down the toilet handle and bathroom faucets? People don't typically wash their hands before flushing and to wash their hands they must turn on the water with unwashed hands.  

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, K32682 said:

to wash their hands they must turn on the water with unwashed hands.  

Not if there's a single lever, rather than rotating handles......Every sink should have a single lever mechanism (including kitchens), so one doesn't need to handle it with their hands. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, evandbob said:

I walk barefoot at times in the cabin, and I'll shower barefoot as well unless I'm using a public shower like in the gym or spa.

Has anyone reported here on CC that they think they caught an infection or whatever by being barefoot?

That would have to be the nail biters. 😉