Cancelling Cruises because of the C word

davemorton

8 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

Going on time out from social media till I get an email from p&o or virgin 

started worrying about our jobs and house now too. 

Have fun peeps. 

Above all ..Stay Safe 😏

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

Have fun peeps. 

Take care. I hope everything works out alright for you.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Denarius said:

It is at times like this that booking via a reputable travel agent comes into its own. I have been booking cruises and other holidays via a local travel agent for over 20 years, and have resisted all temptation to book direct. They have done a good job for me over the years and I want them to stay in business. A couple of days ago I decided to cancel an upcoming P&O cruise and rang them to do so, confirming it by email, and then left them to it. I recieved email confirmation an hour or so later that they had cancelled. All quite painless.

But the crisis of recent weeks has also revealed a major negative of booking via an agent rather than direct - the fact that you have to pay your final balance several weeks earlier.

• Like 1

Just heard from one of my best friends in Toronto.  Exactly the same.  No loo rolls, hand sanitiser.  Population has gone nuts, prices have doubled.  It's not just here.

On another topic.  I don't pay my final balance weeks before necessary with my agent.  About 3 weeks only.

20 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

But the crisis of recent weeks has also revealed a major negative of booking via an agent rather than direct - the fact that you have to pay your final balance several weeks earlier.

A point I realised when TC went bust.

22 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Selbourne

True, however never been able to form a relation with H/Q,

My well honed lifetime gut feeling, is what get's me though,

The latest P&O video made me cringe.

As much sincerity IMHO as a snake oil salesmen.

bye bye

Edited by mercury7289
Missed a bit!
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Vampiress88 said:

Have fun peeps. 

Keep you and your family safe and I  hope everything turns out well for you. 

Avril 

48 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Just down the road from you DevonUK

Yes, I noted your Salcombe connections and you beat me to it when recommending the South Hams, ssshh don’t tell too many 😉  

I’m in Plymstock FYI 

2 hours ago, Selbourne said:

You must be using the wrong TA, ours only requires payment a week earlier, and as long as you are paying by debit or credit card over the phone you can persuade them to wait until the last day.

I'm not sure, but before sending it anywhere make sure you get a copy of it. If you don't have a scanner, take a photo with your phone or camera.I

As you are over 70 do you actually need a letter.

Edited by emam

Celebrity Facebook page says all their cruises are cancelled until the 11 April.  How long until p and o decide to do the same. We have a family trip booked for the 19 th on Britannia. Mum can cancel as she's 82 but the rest of us don't really want the FCC as we struggle to all get time off together. We intend to cruise if it still goes ahead and are still hoping we will cruise this year. 

15 minutes ago, sleeky said:

Celebrity Facebook page says all their cruises are cancelled until the 11 April.  How long until p and o decide to do the same. We have a family trip booked for the 19 th on Britannia. Mum can cancel as she's 82 but the rest of us don't really want the FCC as we struggle to all get time off together. We intend to cruise if it still goes ahead and are still hoping we will cruise this year. 

We were on the same cruise as you. 

Hold tight... 

We have a doctor's letter for Michelle but haven't submitted it yet as things are changing daily. 

I honestly feel all ports will close in Europe, so P&O will have no choice but to cancel. 

We are giving it another week at least. 

Shame though, we were really looking forward to Keukenhof. 

Andy 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, emam said:

I'm not sure, but before sending it anywhere make sure you get a copy of it. If you don't have a scanner, take a photo with your phone or camera.I

As you are over 70 do you actually need a letter.

this is part of an e-mail which I received from P and O a few days ago.

Alternatively, you are also entitled to a full refund. If you are cancelling due to concern over an underlying health condition, your refund will be subject to providing proof of your underlying medical condition.

18 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

Hold tight... 

We have a doctor's letter for Michelle but haven't submitted it yet as things are changing daily. 

I honestly feel all ports will close in Europe, so P&O will have no choice but to cancel. 

Andy 

I didn't know you could swear in Dutch,Andy.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Tablelamp said:

this is part of an e-mail which I received from P and O a few days ago.

Alternatively, you are also entitled to a full refund. If you are cancelling due to concern over an underlying health condition, your refund will be subject to providing proof of your underlying medical condition.

I am no expert, but to me you cancel because gov. advice is for over 70's not to cruise. That way you get a refund and don't have to say you are unfit to travel. 

20 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

Hold tight... 

Andy 

Hi Andy....we too are so disappointed to cancel.....I was so looking forward to seeing your " Jelly baby outfit". P&O are doing exactly the same cruise next year...April 21 ....which I told P&O I would change to BUT for same cabin grade....bog standard balcony....it is £300pp more and no way would P&O come to a more agreeable price so accepted the full refund which we could have because we are over 70.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, emam said:

I am no expert, but to me you cancel because gov. advice is for over 70's not to cruise. That way you get a refund and don't have to say you are unfit to travel. 

but the e-mail said

We are offering you a Future Cruise Credit of 125% to the amount of your cancellation fee (with any monies remaining to be refunded) to be applied against any new booking up to the equivalent value. Your Future Cruise Credit can be used for a new booking made before 31 December 2021, and can be redeemed against any P&O Cruises holiday sailing before 31 March 2022.

I don’t want a future cruise credit and my cancellation fee is now 50%. I want a full refund.

p and o are very clever with their wording.    Help needed please.

9 minutes ago, janny444 said:

Hi Andy....we too are so disappointed to cancel.....I was so looking forward to seeing your " Jelly baby outfit". P&O are doing exactly the same cruise next year...April 21 ....which I told P&O I would change to BUT for same cabin grade....bog standard balcony....it is £300pp more and no way would P&O come to a more agreeable price so accepted the full refund which we could have because we are over 70.

Yes, we saw that, ridiculous. 

I'm holding out for about 400% future cruise credit so as I can afford next year's prices... 😊

Andy 

Just now, Tablelamp said:

but the e-mail said

We are offering you a Future Cruise Credit of 125% to the amount of your cancellation fee (with any monies remaining to be refunded) to be applied against any new booking up to the equivalent value. Your Future Cruise Credit can be used for a new booking made before 31 December 2021, and can be redeemed against any P&O Cruises holiday sailing before 31 March 2022.

I don’t want a future cruise credit and my cancellation fee is now 50%. I want a full refund.

See Janny444s post above, she managed to cancel for a full refund because she is over 70, although I'm sure she looks about 25...😊

Andy 

7 minutes ago, Tablelamp said:

but the e-mail said

On the email I got the next paragraph is.

Don't cancel for health, cancel because of age as per gov advice.