P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

2 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

I remember those Readicut rug kits too.  Different times - fitted carpets were very unusal then.

Knitting machines were all the rage too - Knitmaster was the big brand.  Remember those?

Mum did the rug kits later on when we were 'posher'😉. I had a knitting machine, it was a Brother. It was so fiddly and complicated that I gave to my sister. I much preferred hand knitting, less stressful

Avril

13 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

Now here is another memory, huge camera and pit needed a flash bulb to take pictures in dull light and they literally went bang.

My dad had cameras like that but as time went on we moved with the times and got a new camera.

This new camera meant you had to go to our local chemist to buy the film and "Magi-cubes" that rotated 

on the camera giving you four flashes ,that's if they all worked. :classic_unsure:

They wasn't really cheap those cubes ,so most photos were took with natural light if possible. 

Once the film was full ,simply find a dark space to remove the film and put it in it's box .

Now simply run back round to the chemist with the film, who would tell you to ...

"Come back in a few days for your photo's .

Compare it to the mobile phone these days ? :classic_ohmy:

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

I was / am a social disgrace because I can’t knit!

I sew and knit. I love to embroider too, but not much now as the fingers aren't as nimble as they once were. 

The only thing I've never mastered is crochet. I  somehow could never get the hang of it. I've thought maybe it's because I'm left-handed but I don't know.

Avril

When my mother's sight failed in later years she became unable to see intricate knitting patterns; undaunted, she took up knitting simple jumpers for Bosnian refugees. The downside, from a Bosnian refugee's point of view, was that she could only see well enough to knit in lurid primary colours.

Every time a news bulletin came on I hoped to spot one of these appalling garments but never did, so can only conclude that they preferred to freeze.

Edited by AnnieC
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2

Relating to pegging rugs, my Wife remembers that she had a lovely woolen winter coat that she had outgrown.

Her Mother gave it to the Mother of large family that lived down the road saying that it will surely fit one of your children.

A few days later she was passing the house and sat in the garden pegging rugs was the Husband, guess what had been shredded to make the rug.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

Can I say that I am consumed with jealousy. I have forgotten what the sun looks like and haven’t had my annual fix of good Italian food.

Never mind months of rain, frost, ice and snow to look forward to.☹️

Just thought, nobody commented on my MDR attire,ie a West Ham vest 4 sizes too big cos I lost weight.Ahh, those were the days,dress code threads,what fun they were.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kalos said:

My dad had cameras like that but as time went on we moved with the times and got a new camera.

This new camera meant you had to go to our local chemist to buy the film and "Magi-cubes" that rotated 

on the camera giving you four flashes ,that's if they all worked. :classic_unsure:

They wasn't really cheap those cubes ,so most photos were took with natural light if possible. 

Once the film was full ,simply find a dark space to remove the film and put it in it's box .

Now simply run back round to the chemist with the film, who would tell you to ...

"Come back in a few days for your photo's .

Compare it to the mobile phone these days ? :classic_ohmy:

Yes the square cubes are the ones I meant. Used sparingly for special occasions as they were relatively expensive and fragile to carry around

Then the photos came back and the precious flash had taken a picture of the tops of heads or my hand etc.

I,m still not a great photographer but at least I can just delete the bad ones.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, brian1 said:

Just thought, nobody commented on my MDR attire,ie a West Ham vest 4 sizes too big cos I lost weight.Ahh, those were the days,dress code threads,what fun they were.

Fear not, they will be back. Within 3 months of ships sailing again someone will bring up the subject.

Well done on the slim down.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, brian1 said:

You're lucky I had one of those big red iron boxes 200 yards up the road.

If you wanted any privacy making a call you had to revert to the big red box. Most are gone but we still have one just a few streets away but it is a planter.

Some rural areas of Scotland have no mobile signal so they still have phone boxes.

My great aunt lived in the family’s nail makers cottage she had those hand made rugs think she had them on the beds as well or more than likely crochet ones, the boiler house were they did the washing or beer making was in a leanto next to that was the nail making leanto (the woman of the household were the nail makers ) at the end of the yard was the toilet, when me and my brothers stayed there will always remember how cold  being dark didn’t worry me just cold.

Edited by Bazrat
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

If you wanted any privacy making a call you had to revert to the big red box. Most are gone but we still have one just a few streets away but it is a planter.

Some rural areas of Scotland have no mobile signal so they still have phone boxes.

I remember when I was a kid,we had a "Tardis" up the road also.

• Like 1

So I was hoping to tell you how lovely it was in Anglesey, but sod's law is alive and kicking.  We were packed and ready to go and at 6pm, the dog got up and yelped very loudly, then again and again.  So off to the vet next morning.  Suspected nerve entrapment, and we are going nowhere.  Sigh.  Back to the cooking and the four walls.  Wales willl have to wait. 

43 minutes ago, brian1 said:

I didn't realise it was you, honestly. The last time you posted a photo you were modelling a face mask and you weren't as slim. Must be the botox bro😜🤣

Sis

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

So I was hoping to tell you how lovely it was in Anglesey, but sod's law is alive and kicking.  We were packed and ready to go and at 6pm, the dog got up and yelped very loudly, then again and again.  So off to the vet next morning.  Suspected nerve entrapment, and we are going nowhere.  Sigh.  Back to the cooking and the four walls.  Wales willl have to wait. 

What a shame - but hope your dog is not feeling too uncomfortable and has some painkillers. Lots of TLC needed for all......x

• Like 4

Just now, Angel57 said:

What a shame - but hope your dog is not feeling too uncomfortable and has some painkillers. Lots of TLC needed for all......x

He's a little better today, but no way we could have gone, rocking around in a car is not the best.  Never mind eh.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

They sell for a few thousand pounds as well.

Avril

A Good few years ago they changed the box at the end of our road for a more modern one, that's also gone now.

One of my neighbors asked what was happening to the old one, they said it was going for scrap.

She slipped the workmen a few quid and it is now a feature in her garden.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jeanlyon said:

Hope your cute dog is well now and you can start your holiday.

I hope Selbourne is okay too as I thought after all our support he would continue to post.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ann141 said:

Made it to a beach!( Formby) and also saw some red squirrels at the nature reserve. Only negative is that the reason I am here is because my Mum is in hospital so I am here for a few days so that I can visit her.Brilliant sunshine

P1020424.JPG

P1020442.JPG

Sorry your mum's in hospital. I hope she's back home soon.

It must be warm if you managed to  have a paddle. 

Avril

• Like 3