Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

Here is a few pictures of a Hibiscus Plant we bought last year, It had about 4 flowers on it last year.

This year it has over 100 buds, amazing how much larger it got.

20220730_101235.jpg

20220730_101248.jpg

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 15

10 hours ago, Coralc said:

Thinking about this all day. As a biologist, I have a different opinion about marine parks, dolphin encounters, zoos and wildlife parks. You don't have to agree with me, and I'm not interested in debating. 

I think of animals in captivity as ambassadors for their species. People do not truly appreciate animals and wildlife unless they get to see and experience them in person. Watching videos is not the same as smelling them and sometimes interacting and touching them. 

My first love was marine biology. Back in the 60's, my mom would drop me off in the morning at the old pier 56 aquarium in Seattle. I would spend most of the day there. I fed fish to Namu, their first killer whale, who was sadly killed trying to get back to the ocean. I helped the owner get an orphaned baby harbor seal out of his kennel and fed him. They used to have an octopus, Henry, that would climb out of his tank when it was quiet, and scoot across the floor and eat fish in other tanks. :classic_smile: I fed baby lion cubs at the Woodland Park Zoo. And I loved Siegfried and Roy. They took great care of their cats. They didn't take good care of the dolphins and some of the other animals in the "Secret Garden". 

It is not wonderful that these animals are in captivity. But I fully support dolphin encounters, manatee encounters, sea lions, good zoos, wildlife parks, whatever. If they have an appreciation and take care of their animals. 

Just a few animals can enlighten and maybe educate thousands of people (especially children) in the wonders of nature. It is something that they won't see or experience at home on the computer. :classic_smile:

We went to husband & wife wildlife park in Louisiana. They take great care of their animals, but they just eat them or skin them when they are old or sick. So, it is all well and good to say you are against captive animals, but I don't feel the same. :classic_smile:

Nutria P.jpg

Do you believe that animals should be kept in cages (zoos) or do you have the opinion that they should not ?

57 minutes ago, BonTexasNY said:

I'm not greedy.  $600,000,000 is fine with me.

Debbie, it's wonderful you're thought of in such high regard!

I have to add one more comment about zoos.  I know others feel differently than I do about traditional zoos, and I haven't been to a zoo in many years.  The ones I remember visiting had small cages and the animals were always lying listlessly, hardly moving as if they were tranquilized.  I hope things have changed for the better.  Let's agree to disagree.

I have been a member of Friends Of Animals for many years.I do not believe that animals should be caged.I remember an episode of Twilight Zone where Astronauts landed on another planet and found themselves caged.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, DaniDanielle said:

@Sunshine3601I will have my granddaughter be duck detective!  Printed out luggage tags and now just have to wait for negative Covid results🥴All paperwork is done and printed, renewed passports are shiny and bright!!

I keep checking to see if any interiors or anything other than suites comes available.    Boy, the prices for this cruise have definitely gone way up.     When we booked a couple months ago a JS was cheaper than what they are currently selling OVB's for.    

I really hope an interior opens up for your DD and your GK's.    😀

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, DaniDanielle said:

@Sunshine3601I will have my granddaughter be duck detective!  Printed out luggage tags and now just have to wait for negative Covid results🥴All paperwork is done and printed, renewed passports are shiny and bright!!

I'm sure you are getting excited. I'm so happy for you.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Lionesss said:

I do not want to be known for “ fake” news but someone on another social media site posted one winner in lottery.  Ticket sold In Illinois. 

Oh well.  Back to Social Security. 

Take care. 

If the winner is smart, we'll never know their name.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, DaniDanielle said:

Does this mean you procured a cabin for your daughter and grands?🤞

3 hours ago, Lionesss said:

I do not want to be known for “ fake” news but someone on another social media site posted one winner in lottery.  Ticket sold In Illinois. 

Oh well.  Back to Social Security. 

Take care. 

38 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

If the winner is smart, we'll never know their name.

A little more than 10 years ago a group that I worked with won the lottery, there were 10 of them and they won 300 some million if I remember correctly.  They found out when they showed up at work and the person holding the tickets checked, one if which was a few offices over from me so heard about it quickly.  Our office was a little over an hour outside NY, someone mentioned they won so they had all the major news stations outside the building.  The group did an interview in one of the conference rooms, what a day that was.

Still know a few of them, yes they all left within a few months one being a Sr VP.  The stories they had of people reaching out to them with sob stories, even showing up at their front door.  Most if not all have moved from where they lived at the time the won, keeping their new addresses quiet.  The ones I am still in contact with you wouldn't know they had won, still very grounded folks, a few have gone thru most of the money.  They all say yes it was nice to win, but not all its cracked up to be.  If I ever happened to win, would definitely keep my name anonymous if possible.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

I think the work you do is fantastic. Refuges and zoos serve very admirable purposes. We have a zoo in RI that provides a great environment for the animals. As best I can tell the animals seem well cared for and at peace. I fully understand the issue of animal ambassadors and feel they fill a very important role. I just don't know about some of these animal encounter places. They seen to have one purpose, to make money.

Poachers still abound on the Africa continent. 
When I was in Kenya we came across an elephant that had been shot several times and the poor thing’s head was mutilated where they cut the tusks out. 
The various governments are struggling to contain poachers, but it’s difficult. 
I agree that well run zoos are important. 
Our zoo in Jacksonville is a breeding zoo that is one of many working to maintain threatened species. 
The animals’ compounds are as natural as possible, with room to roam, climb, wallow in mud and swim. 
Generations of children have loved  these animals and hopefully will grow up having empathy for living creatures. 
No, a zoo can’t replicate their lives in the wild, but it can protect them, keep them healthy, and keep them from being killed for their tusks or horns. 
The number of offspring in our local zoo and zoos all over the world is to me a hopeful sign. 

• Like 9

43 minutes ago, Luckynana said:

Does this mean you procured a cabin for your daughter and grands?🤞

Unfortunately, no cabin yet for my older daughter. My granddaughter who lives with us and her mom who also lives here,are going.  We had booked in April, a month before my son-in-law died.  My daughter, understandably, could not decide whether she wanted to go or not.  Obviously waited too long.  Just frustrating that there are cabins for two and not three🥴

• Like 3

Greg-Your post about Nearest Green and Jack Daniels reminded me of a radio personality that we used to listen to on WOR 710 AM. Paul Harvey would relate a human interest story that may have been familiar to many listeners. Then, he would conclude with little known background facts relating to the story and sign off with the phrase - “And now you know the rest of the story !”.

So, now we know the rest of the story of those two gentlemen !

Interesting,as I didn’t know that Jack Daniels was a real person and not just a brand name for a whiskey

Debbie- Pleased for you that you had such an enjoyable send-off !

Wishing you success and pleasant co-workers at your new job!

Lenny- Enjoy the party! It is a beautiful day here in Eastern LI. I am enjoying the breezes on our screened porch.Hoping you are outside celebrating with the birthday pooch !

Wishing everyone an enjoyable day !

MJ🙋🏻

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, akcruz said:

A little more than 10 years ago a group that I worked with won the lottery, there were 10 of them and they won 300 some million if I remember correctly.  They found out when they showed up at work and the person holding the tickets checked, one if which was a few offices over from me so heard about it quickly.  Our office was a little over an hour outside NY, someone mentioned they won so they had all the major news stations outside the building.  The group did an interview in one of the conference rooms, what a day that was.

Still know a few of them, yes they all left within a few months one being a Sr VP.  The stories they had of people reaching out to them with sob stories, even showing up at their front door.  Most if not all have moved from where they lived at the time the won, keeping their new addresses quiet.  The ones I am still in contact with you wouldn't know they had won, still very grounded folks, a few have gone thru most of the money.  They all say yes it was nice to win, but not all its cracked up to be.  If I ever happened to win, would definitely keep my name anonymous if possible.

Congrats to the winners!  I've read similar stories about winners being inundated with all sorts of unwanted requests, sob stories, media attention, phone calls, etc.  I'd put the winnings in a trust and pay a trustworthy lawyer to be the trustee.  With that amount of money at my disposal, I'd be willing to pay quite a bit for anonymity.  Someone who wanted to know badly enough would probably find me anyway.  Maybe I could buy Taylor's house and hide there??  I hear that Rhode Island is nice. 😁

• Like 5
  • Haha 6

18 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

I'd put the winnings in a trust and pay a trustworthy lawyer to be the trustee.  With that amount of money at my disposal, I'd be willing to pay quite a bit for anonymity.

I'd do the same thing and then build a hurricane proof home somewhere in the Caribbean.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, jagsfan said:

Poachers still abound on the Africa continent. 
When I was in Kenya we came across an elephant that had been shot several times and the poor thing’s head was mutilated where they cut the tusks out. 
The various governments are struggling to contain poachers, but it’s difficult. 
I agree that well run zoos are important. 
Our zoo in Jacksonville is a breeding zoo that is one of many working to maintain threatened species. 
The animals’ compounds are as natural as possible, with room to roam, climb, wallow in mud and swim. 
Generations of children have loved  these animals and hopefully will grow up having empathy for living creatures. 
No, a zoo can’t replicate their lives in the wild, but it can protect them, keep them healthy, and keep them from being killed for their tusks or horns. 
The number of offspring in our local zoo and zoos all over the world is to me a hopeful sign. 

Agree with everything you said.

• Like 2