Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

7 hours ago, BonTexasNY said:

It's why I don't visit zoos.  

I feel differently about zoos, especially after seeing the various "Secrets of the Zoo" tv series.  

Most zoos these days are doing an excellent job of providing an enriched environment for the animals.  In addition, they are doing valuable work to provide genetic diversity and protection of endangered species, working with a vast network of other zoos and sharing animals to strengthen the genetic profile of all the animals in their care.

The "swim with the dolphins" programs, however, are pretty much solely for the purpose of making a profit.  While they may provide adequate food and veterinary care for the animals, the cages are much too small and the social needs of the animals are not met.  

Even the sloth/monkey place I visit in Roatan is careful about providing adequate enrichment time for their animals, and all of their acquisitions are from owners surrendering an animal that they can no longer care for --- they even have a sign posted that they will not purchase animals.  

Speaking of Roatan, if anyone needs a local guy, I'm happy to share my contact there.  I've used him several times now, very dependable.  He can either be your driver for the day, or arrange various excursions.  If anyone's interested, just let me know. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, jagsfan said:

I wonder when the increase in gratuities actually starts. 
I’d hate to board a ship this weekend and find out I’m paying $1.50 a day more than I expected. 
It’s not much money, but I think it should start on a specific date in the future so people are aware. 
Evidently Edocs show it now. 

If you read the entire statement on the Edocs, there is an *(asterisk) at the end that states "Guests who booked prior to July 15, 2022 can pre-pay gratuities before their sailing at the previous rates, which are $14.50 for standard staterooms and $17.50 for suites."  My take is that anything booked after July 15, 2022, reflected the higher gratuities.  I don't know, as I haven't booked anything since then.  But then.....we are talking about RCCL IT. 😹

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, taznremmy said:

If you read the entire statement on the Edocs, there is an *(asterisk) at the end that states "Guests who booked prior to July 15, 2022 can pre-pay gratuities before their sailing at the previous rates, which are $14.50 for standard staterooms and $17.50 for suites."  My take is that anything booked after July 15, 2022, reflected the higher gratuities.  I don't know, as I haven't booked anything since then.  But then.....we are talking about RCCL IT. 😹

I agree Pat. But you don't have to actually pay them. I think the old rate just has to be on your booking by then.... that is how it has worked previously. I *think* if you booked before July 15, you can add gratuities to your sailing now at the old rate. 

If you have them taken out daily, they will come off your account at the new rate. Or maybe not, if you booked before July 15. But that is the way it has worked in the past. 

Edited by Coralc

7 hours ago, taznremmy said:

I booked a cruise on July 18th and my booking invoice shows the $14.50 and $17.50 rates.  I checked it last night when I saw the July 15 date being thrown around.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, brillohead said:

I feel differently about zoos, especially after seeing the various "Secrets of the Zoo" tv series.  

Most zoos these days are doing an excellent job of providing an enriched environment for the animals.  In addition, they are doing valuable work to provide genetic diversity and protection of endangered species, working with a vast network of other zoos and sharing animals to strengthen the genetic profile of all the animals in their care.

The "swim with the dolphins" programs, however, are pretty much solely for the purpose of making a profit.  While they may provide adequate food and veterinary care for the animals, the cages are much too small and the social needs of the animals are not met.  

Even the sloth/monkey place I visit in Roatan is careful about providing adequate enrichment time for their animals, and all of their acquisitions are from owners surrendering an animal that they can no longer care for --- they even have a sign posted that they will not purchase animals.  

Speaking of Roatan, if anyone needs a local guy, I'm happy to share my contact there.  I've used him several times now, very dependable.  He can either be your driver for the day, or arrange various excursions.  If anyone's interested, just let me know. 

While we are not a zoo the refuge does have ambassador animals.  They are very well cared for and get enrichment every day.  They are ambassadors because they could not make it in the wild.  Riley our striped skunk was retired Friday to a very nice home.  She was 10 years old which is old for a skunk.  She came to us because she was taken from the wild, descented and made a pet, when the owner found out that it is illegal to have a pet skunk in Florida without a permit they gave her to us.  We also have a red fox, a raccoon, a red shouldered hawk, a barred owl, an African spurred tortoise, a gopher tortoise, a three legged box turtle, two corn snakes and 2 leopard geckos.  I am going to miss Riley.  Every Sunday I would give her a massage with vitamin E oil and brush her out.  

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

Been away for the last week, tried to skim thru here and there but didn't have the chance to respond so doing most as a group. Sending birthday and anniversary wishes to all those who have recently celebrated and looks like quite a few 🎉🎂🥂.

We were lucky to have spent a week with our daughter, her husband and our 2 grandkids up at our lake house in the Poconos.  We swam, fished, rode in the boat, kayak and the kids favorite jet ski as well as roasted marshmallows, made smores, went out for ice cream and of course got in many many snuggles.  Have tons of pictures to go thru and will try to post a few but have restrictions on what I can share here.

Will leave you with one for now of the grandpup enjoying the sun while 3 of them head off on the kayak.

20220726_120038~2.jpg

• Like 29
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, akcruz said:

Been away for the last week, tried to skim thru here and there but didn't have the chance to respond so doing most as a group. Sending birthday and anniversary wishes to all those who have recently celebrated and looks like quite a few 🎉🎂🥂.

We were lucky to have spent a week with our daughter, her husband and our 2 grandkids up at our lake house in the Poconos.  We swam, fished, rode in the boat, kayak and the kids favorite jet ski as well as roasted marshmallows, made smores, went out for ice cream and of course got in many many snuggles.  Have tons of pictures to go thru and will try to post a few but have restrictions on what I can share here.

Will leave you with one for now of the grandpup enjoying the sun while 3 of them head off on the kayak.

20220726_120038~2.jpg

That sounds like a lovely trip.  What an adorable dog!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Keksie said:

While we are not a zoo the refuge does have ambassador animals.  They are very well cared for and get enrichment every day.  They are ambassadors because they could not make it in the wild.  Riley our striped skunk was retired Friday to a very nice home.  She was 10 years old which is old for a skunk.  She came to us because she was taken from the wild, descented and made a pet, when the owner found out that it is illegal to have a pet skunk in Florida without a permit they gave her to us.  We also have a red fox, a raccoon, a red shouldered hawk, a barred owl, an African spurred tortoise, a gopher tortoise, a three legged box turtle, two corn snakes and 2 leopard geckos.  I am going to miss Riley.  Every Sunday I would give her a massage with vitamin E oil and brush her out.  

I think the work you do is fantastic. Refuges and zoos serve very admirable purposes. We have a zoo in RI that provides a great environment for the animals. As best I can tell the animals seem well cared for and at peace. I fully understand the issue of animal ambassadors and feel they fill a very important role. I just don't know about some of these animal encounter places. They seen to have one purpose, to make money.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Coralc said:

When they have done this before, but I don't know if it is the same way now. If your cruise was booked before July 15, with gratuities added, you don't have to pay the increase, no matter when your cruise is. 

This time, it sounds like if your cruise was booked before July 15, you are still under the old rate that was in effect when you booked. 

I thought they were going to do this, so we added gratuities to our March bookings. 

I believe you are right about this as we received our edocs for our 8.28 Oasis cruise and it still shows the old gratuity rate since we booked prior to 7.15    But with the wording on one of the other threads on cc i wonder if I have to pre-pay them to get the old rate.    

I used to always pre-pay them but then decided a couple years ago to let my money make me money instead of someone else.      I guess I will give a call to pre-pay them the week before our cruise and see what happens.    If not, no biggy - it is what it is😁

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Lionesss said:

I do not want to be known for “ fake” news but someone on another social media site posted one winner in lottery.  Ticket sold In Illinois. 

Oh well.  Back to Social Security. 

Take care. 

True  It's on the Mega Millions website now

Just now, Ocean Boy said:

I think the work you do is fantastic. Refuges and zoos serve very admirable purposes. We have a zoo in RI that provides a great environment for the animals. As best I can tell the animals seem well cared for and at peace. I fully understand the issue of animal ambassadors and feel they fill a very important role. I just don't know about some of these animal encounter places. They seen to have one purpose, to make money.

I don't do marine mammal encounters especially in foreign countries.  You don't know if the animals were captured just for the encounter or if they are there because they can't be released.  Taking something from the wild just to make money off it is wrong.  Giving an animal the chance of life when it couldn't survive on its own, its habitat has been destroyed or the species needs help to continue is what I believe in. 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, akcruz said:

20220726_120038~2.jpg

Sounds like a wonderful family vacation and the puppy looks very content too!🤩

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

As you all know yesterday was my last day as a mortgage underwriter for the company I have worked for nearly 20 years.    Some of us have worked together for almost 30-yrs.    Eric will still there so I will see be in touch with most.    It was sad day with lots of tears but also lots of laughs. 

They tried to book a private room at Lambertville Inn (one of my favs) for my going away party but they were booked so they booked Pineville Tavern http://www.pinevilletavern.com/     We were in the room upstairs and boy did they order tons of food.   We had everything from shrimp cocktail, crab cakes, different versions of mini tacos, prime rib sliced to order, ribs, mini burgers, etc. etc. etc.      Everything was delicious and they told the bartender to keep my mojitos coming all night (which they did!) 

We arrived at 6 pm and were there until 9 pm.     Eric took lots of pictures which I will have him send to me so I can upload some here.     

I have been blessed to work with such a wonderful group of people and will dearly miss them.    

I was given a couple fun gifts too!      One girl gave me a package with a dozen cruise ducks!!     

@DaniDanielleMarietta, I will being hiding them on our Oasis sailing - hopefully you will find one😁

• Like 18
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I have been blessed to work with such a wonderful group of people and will dearly miss them

Debbie I'm glad you had a great sendoff and congrats on your new job. Since I retired I miss my coworkers very much. What I have been doing is inviting a few at a time for dinner at my house. It's perfect to reconnect and to keep up. Hopefully you can do some of those things to stay in touch. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Cheers! How do you like the "Two Stars?"

Cheers back!  It's not bad.  I probably won't get it again (was a gift)…unless I run across something that blows my mind I like to try new things.  

I think this will be my next one...

9465001541662.webp

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Husky1987 said:

Cheers back!  It's not bad.  I probably won't get it again (was a gift)…unless I run across something that blows my mind I like to try new things.  

I think this will be my next one...

9465001541662.webp

Let me know what you think. I'm always interested in trying new bottles. I'll post mine next.

53 minutes ago, Lionesss said:

I do not want to be known for “ fake” news but someone on another social media site posted one winner in lottery.  Ticket sold In Illinois. 

Oh well.  Back to Social Security. 

Take care. 

Check your number it has to be you!😁

• Haha 3

IMG_8397.thumb.jpg.e8064dd0d85afa5981933f9a5a649c89.jpg

So yesterday I was at a bourbon tasting and meet and greet with CEO of Uncle Nearest Distillery in Shelbyville, Tenn. She is the first woman of color to ever be a CEO of a distillery.

I bought a bottle of "Uncle Nearest 1856" which was signed by her but the story of "Uncle Nearest" is even more interesting.

Uncle Nearest is named after a formerly enslaved man Nathan "Nearest" Green who was a slave on a farm owned by a preacher. The preacher made whiskey on the side which Nathan was the distiller. A young white boy who lived nearby could see the smoke rising from the hills and went to investigate. He found Nathan making whiskey and started to ask questions. Soon the boy made friends with Nathan and started helping him. Nathan was solely responsible for teaching this boy everything there was about making whiskey and soon when the boy was older and started making whiskey too. That boys name was Jack Daniels.

Nathan "Nearest" Green was the first African-American master distiller on record in the United States. After teaching Jack Daniel to make Tennessee whiskey and Daniel went on to have his own distillery Nathan served as the first master distiller for the Jack Daniel Distillery as a free man after the Civil War. Nathan was instrumental in developing the "Lincoln County Process", the sugar maple charcoal filtering method used to make most Tennessee Whiskey today.

And there you have a little history behind this special bottle.

Cheers!

• Like 14
  • Thanks 8

14 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Cash payoff on the 1 Billion, is $600,000,000.....other $400,000,000 goes to taxes.

I'm not greedy.  $600,000,000 is fine with me.

52 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

As you all know yesterday was my last day as a mortgage underwriter for the company I have worked for nearly 20 years.    Some of us have worked together for almost 30-yrs.    Eric will still there so I will see be in touch with most.    It was sad day with lots of tears but also lots of laughs. 

They tried to book a private room at Lambertville Inn (one of my favs) for my going away party but they were booked so they booked Pineville Tavern http://www.pinevilletavern.com/     We were in the room upstairs and boy did they order tons of food.   We had everything from shrimp cocktail, crab cakes, different versions of mini tacos, prime rib sliced to order, ribs, mini burgers, etc. etc. etc.      Everything was delicious and they told the bartender to keep my mojitos coming all night (which they did!) 

We arrived at 6 pm and were there until 9 pm.     Eric took lots of pictures which I will have him send to me so I can upload some here.     

I have been blessed to work with such a wonderful group of people and will dearly miss them.    

I was given a couple fun gifts too!      One girl gave me a package with a dozen cruise ducks!!     

@DaniDanielleMarietta, I will being hiding them on our Oasis sailing - hopefully you will find one😁

Debbie, it's wonderful you're thought of in such high regard!

I have to add one more comment about zoos.  I know others feel differently than I do about traditional zoos, and I haven't been to a zoo in many years.  The ones I remember visiting had small cages and the animals were always lying listlessly, hardly moving as if they were tranquilized.  I hope things have changed for the better.  Let's agree to disagree.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

IMG_8397.thumb.jpg.e8064dd0d85afa5981933f9a5a649c89.jpg

So yesterday I was at a bourbon tasting and meet and greet with CEO of Uncle Nearest Distillery in Shelbyville, Tenn. She is the first woman of color to ever be a CEO of a distillery.

I bought a bottle of "Uncle Nearest 1856" which was signed by her but the story of "Uncle Nearest" is even more interesting.

Uncle Nearest is named after a formerly enslaved man Nathan "Nearest" Green who was a slave on a farm owned by a preacher. The preacher made whiskey on the side which Nathan was the distiller. A young white boy who lived nearby could see the smoke rising from the hills and went to investigate. He found Nathan making whiskey and started to ask questions. Soon the boy made friends with Nathan and started helping him. Nathan was solely responsible for teaching this boy everything there was about making whiskey and soon when the boy was older and started making whiskey too. That boys name was Jack Daniels.

Nathan "Nearest" Green was the first African-American master distiller on record in the United States. After teaching Jack Daniel to make Tennessee whiskey and Daniel went on to have his own distillery Nathan served as the first master distiller for the Jack Daniel Distillery as a free man after the Civil War. Nathan was instrumental in developing the "Lincoln County Process", the sugar maple charcoal filtering method used to make most Tennessee Whiskey today.

And there you have a little history behind this special bottle.

Cheers!

Oooooooooo...I just checked and this is in stock at my local Total Wine.  I may have to pick it up as my next!

Also, a fun fact that I just checked out, Nearest Green's Wiki page is actually a little bit longer than Jack Daniel's....as it clearly should be.

Edited by Husky1987
  • Like 5

12 minutes ago, Husky1987 said:

Also, a fun fact that I just checked out, Nearest Green's Wiki page is actually a little bit longer than Jack Daniel's....as it clearly should be.

That's cool. Here is a great short documentary about "Uncle Nearest" narrated by Emmy-Award winning actor Jeffrey Wright.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, BonTexasNY said:

I'm not greedy.  $600,000,000 is fine with me.

Debbie, it's wonderful you're thought of in such high regard!

I have to add one more comment about zoos.  I know others feel differently than I do about traditional zoos, and I haven't been to a zoo in many years.  The ones I remember visiting had small cages and the animals were always lying listlessly, hardly moving as if they were tranquilized.  I hope things have changed for the better.  Let's agree to disagree.

Very different experience at a "true" zoo these days. They try very hard to replicate the native environment of the animal. The cages are long gone.

• Like 5