Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

53 minutes ago, BonTexasNY said:

I'm so happy to see Simone Biles, still the GOAT, win her record breaking 8th U.S. National Championship.  She's back on top!

Continuing mortgage chat:  I started working for Countrywide for a few short months until Bank of America took over.  I was at a luncheon once and when one of my tablemates found out I worked for them, he lashed onto me as if I were personally responsible for the mortgage debacle.  He was personally insulting to me and although Countrywide might have been to blame, I wasn't.  I ignored him, turned the other way and started to chat with another tablemate totally cutting him off. To be clear, I didn't work in the mortgage department. It got very uncomfortable, and I was glad when the luncheon was finally over.  His wife was a good friend of mine at the time and her face was red the whole time during his rant.  She kept looking down at her plate probably hoping she (or he) would disappear.

I worked for BOA in IT as a contractor for my last ten years before retiring at 65, always considered them a sleazy company, they laid off many of the contractors and full time employees and replaced them with contractors from India , I was the only American in my group when I left , they did want me to stay.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, helen haywood said:

Idalia will be my first hurricane experience since moving to Nassau County.  🙀  We don’t live in the major evacuation zones, nor in a flood plane.  So I’m not worried too much…hope it’s just wind and rain we get.  What worries me is power outages.  We have had one since we moved here due to lightning hitting a transformer.  At first the power department said it would be back on in a four hour window.  But later they changed that to “status unknown.”  

If we lost power at this time of year…and didn’t know how long it would be out…we’ll have to decide how long we wait before we go somewhere with power.  And of course DH and I are not on the same page.  DH:  I am not leaving!  Me:  Then you’ll be staying by yourself.

It is always hard to decide when to stay and when to go.  If you do end up going, make sure you do the quarter on a frozen cup of water trick so you will know if you lost power or not.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, TravelGirlinDallas said:

Our favorite cabin is this deck 7 corner aft, which we’ve had on both Liberty & Adventure. It only sleeps 3, but that works out for us. You can see the aft as well as the side.

We tried to book it again on Voyager over Thanksgiving this year, but the price was double what we paid last year at the same time. ☹️ So we ended up booking with another line.

IMG_2133.thumb.jpeg.3f3913cb266794f8e0a446634b22c443.jpeg

You forgot to bring your hammock, this is me back in 2012. First time we stayed in a corner aft on Explorer

http://i1302.photobucket.com/albums/ag123/DonnaLDC/Explorer 11 day Southern Carib Feb 2012/025.jpg

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 7

55 minutes ago, TravelGirlinDallas said:

Our favorite cabin is this deck 7 corner aft, which we’ve had on both Liberty & Adventure. It only sleeps 3, but that works out for us. You can see the aft as well as the side.

We tried to book it again on Voyager over Thanksgiving this year, but the price was double what we paid last year at the same time. ☹️ So we ended up booking with another line.

Crazy pricing. Our Adventure 5 night cruise in March was approx. $500 less for our PR cabin compared to what Voyager's (same class) rate is for the same time period in 2024.  

28 minutes ago, George C said:

I worked for BOA in IT as a contractor for my last ten years before retiring at 65, always considered them a sleazy company, they laid off many of the contractors and full time employees and replaced them with contractors from India , I was the only American in my group when I left , they did want me to stay.

Yes, work was outsourced to India and at one point there was a computer glitch which necessitated mandatory 10 hour daily shifts for approx. 2 1/2 months, including 1/2 days on Saturdays. PLUS there was an evening staff that came in when we ended our day shift. Work was being knocked out from 7am to approx. 11pm daily.  The only time I saw light of day those 2 1/2 months was weekends.  My time and a half paychecks were nice benefits.

Was your office in Plano on Corporate Drive across the road from JC Penney?  That's where I worked.  Such a beautiful location and only 8 minutes from my house.

I love this story:  My key got stuck in the lock on my desk.  I had to call facilities which was located in India.  I gave all the info and a short time later, the maintenance guy came to fix it.  His office was a few feet from mine. 🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

This however is the best aft facing cabin and balcony we have ever had.

Cabin #8181 on Celebrity Infinity, here is a video I found of  Celebrity Summit which has the exact same layout.

Check out this cabin and balcony.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

This however is the best aft facing cabin and balcony we have ever had.

Cabin #8181 on Celebrity Infinity, here is a video I found of  Celebrity Summit which has the exact same layout.

Check out this cabin and balcony.

We had an outside corner aft balcony on Celebrity Millennium for a trans Atlantic.

Biggest balcony we have ever had with multiple loungers.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, BonTexasNY said:

Crazy pricing. Our Adventure 5 night cruise in March was approx. $500 less for our PR cabin compared to what Voyager's (same class) rate is for the same time period in 2024.  

Yes, work was outsourced to India and at one point there was a computer glitch which necessitated mandatory 10 hour daily shifts for approx. 2 1/2 months, including 1/2 days on Saturdays. PLUS there was an evening staff that came in when we ended our day shift. Work was being knocked out from 7am to approx. 11pm daily.  The only time I saw light of day those 2 1/2 months was weekends.  My time and a half paychecks were nice benefits.

Was your office in Plano on Corporate Drive across the road from JC Penney?  That's where I worked.  Such a beautiful location and only 8 minutes from my house.

I love this story:  My key got stuck in the lock on my desk.  I had to call facilities which was located in India.  I gave all the info and a short time later, the maintenance guy came to fix it.  His office was a few feet from mine. 🤣

The office was in a great location for me in Addison only 10 or 15 min drive , I had many long days and occasionally got calls to come in at night . I was in Plano Sunday playing poker for our monthly game , was up several hundred but was extremely unlucky at the end but still won 20. 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, BonTexasNY said:

Voyager replaced Adventure in Galveston, so I was pricing the same cabin on the same class ship from the same home port for the same itinerary during the same holiday week. And it was double the price we paid in 2022. I was really disappointed.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

It is always hard to decide when to stay and when to go.  If you do end up going, make sure you do the quarter on a frozen cup of water trick so you will know if you lost power or not.  

We would not be in an evacuation zone…the only reason I’d leave is if the power had been out long enough to make staying uncomfortable/impractical.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, reallyitsmema said:

may not work if tooth fairy comes along while you are gone...........😉

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, TravelGirlinDallas said:

WOW! That's an awesome balcony!! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TravelGirlinDallas said:

We’ve had this one a few times.  Booking early helps.  The views and breeze while being completely covered are wonderful.  There’s a smaller one on deck 10 corner on these ships where the room is larger with the stripper pole at the end of the bed, balcony is still large and private. That’s our favorite.  At times we’ve been told we can’t book those without 3 but it’s varied. 

We haven’t had an aft for a while but snagged a center deck 10 on Jewel for next year.  The walk is long but so worth it.  

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, cruiselvr04 said:

We’ve had this one a few times.  Booking early helps.  The views and breeze while being completely covered are wonderful.  There’s a smaller one on deck 10 corner on these ships where the room is larger with the stripper pole at the end of the bed, balcony is still large and private. That’s our favorite.  At times we’ve been told we can’t book those without 3 but it’s varied. 

We haven’t had an aft for a while but snagged a center deck 10 on Jewel for next year.  The walk is long but so worth it.  

We prefer the corner aft on deck 10 on Voyager and Freedom class too.  Prefer the larger cabin to the larger balcony.  The deck 10 balcony is plenty large enough for us. 

We have done corner afts on Radiance class too.  Deck 7 was a little noisy from the music from the lounge below but we have also had 1100 which is wonderful.  We have a deck 9 center aft coming up this fall, we will see if we like that.  We booked at final payment, so were lucky to even get an aft cabin at all.

• Like 7

It sure makes me nervous when I try to go to my cruise planner and my upcoming October sailing is not there. I am going to chalk this up to Royal IT and not my reservation gone. Nut it is unnerving.

Now it popped up. Geesh!

Edited by Sea Dog
  • Like 6

3 hours ago, mo&fran said:

We had an outside corner aft balcony on Celebrity Millennium for a trans Atlantic.

Biggest balcony we have ever had with multiple loungers.

That is the same class ship as  Infinity and Summit and Constellation.

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, singinalot said:

Im actually in NYC right now! nate’s at home battening down the hatches. Unfortunately our house is in the direct path on the coastline in New Port Richey. I was supposed to fly home Wednesday but the airport is now closed until Thursday so I rescheduled my flight and extended my hotel.

Any plans in place yet for maybe coming into to Tampa(TPA) on Friday? Doesn't look to good in that area as far a storm surge in your area.

My Aunt and Uncle live in Bradenton, this storm they are staying put. Their house is not in any of the Flood Zones though.

Crystal is your house in one of those flood zones? if so do you know what letter they gave your area?

Edited by Jimbo