Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

This is the email that I'm planning to send off to Mr. Bayley. Anyone have any suggestions for changes or additions? Also, can someone supply his email address. I'm too lazy to search.

Mr. Bayley,

I am writing this after 20+ years of sailing with RCI to make you aware of an ongoing health issue aboard your ships and it has to do with sound levels in some of the entertainment areas. I have found this to be an ongoing issue, particularly in the main theater and Studio B. I have heard this complaint from many people and I, as a physician, claim it is a health issue.

I recently completed the February 3rd sailing of Odessey of the Seas. After attending a show in the main theater, I believe the act was called The Rookies, where the sound was so loud that I found myself with hearing difficulties that didn't fully resolve until sometime the following afternoon. Though I have encountered uncomfortable sound levels in the past on your ships this is the first time I have had to deal with the aftermath for a prolonged length of time following the exposure.

The health issues on hearing from exposure to loud noise is well know. It takes little time to do a search to get information on decibel levels, pressure waves, and length of exposure to put the pieces together. Anyone who is controlling the sound boards in the ship venues should be well versed in this subject. If they are not the RCI needs to address its hiring protocols.

I am bringing this issue to your attention in the hope that you will rectify the situation. I would find it disappointing to say the least if RCI did not take seriously the harm that these sound levels can do to its guests.

Thank you for your attention to this matter.

• Like 2

@DaniDanielle Marietta, my sincere condolences to Charlie and you. Sending positive thoughts to your friend

@Sea Dog Greg, so sorry about all you're going through now. At least, Linda is doing better 😘

@aussielozzie18 Hope your DD is on the mend and her recovery will be full.

@Luckynana Maryann, "glad" that the break was a clean one, hopefully your youngest GS will make a full recovery.

On 2/14/2024 at 2:46 AM, Coralc said:

@dani negreanu This is a pretty cool story:

Hiker discovers rare 2,800-year-old amulet in Israel

Hiker discovers rare 2,800-year-old amulet in Israel (yahoo.com)

Thanks, Patti. Very interesting finding, and luckily the hiker reported the finding to the Antiquities Authority.

On 2/14/2024 at 4:28 AM, helen haywood said:

@dani negreanu Would love some photos of anything your resident chef has cooked recently!  I love to cook…read recipes…shop for ingredients…eat…😁

Marian, what can I tell you... the mood is not there. The only special meal was a repeat of the acorn squash, same stuffing, but more "decorative"....

image.thumb.jpeg.f157a1ac675bb420dcd80a86eb2f16bd.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.1f3bcc8907770923034b6d3f1ecc92c9.jpeg

On 2/16/2024 at 3:32 PM, bobmacliberty said:

Thanks for posting this.  Micheline loves visiting estates, and this looks like a great place to visit.  Margaret Greville must have been a very interesting person.  Adding this to the list for our next visit to London.

Thanks, Sue @sgmn. It will be on my list too.... sometime..... The name "Greville" ring a bell, the tiara used by Camila [now, Queen].

@firefly333 Jane, I wouldn't recommend the Termini station neighborhood. It is quite "seedy". Highly recommend this one, very central, walking distance to everything, bar the Vatican.

Argentina Residenza Style

https://www.argentinastylehotel.com/

@NHProud Judy and Debbie @Sunshine3601 

Laser -- when I was doing my annually "pilgrimage" to Germany to be treated by my cousin dentist husband, he always finished my "cleaning" with a laser treatment.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 4

36 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

This is the email that I'm planning to send off to Mr. Bayley. Anyone have any suggestions for changes or additions? Also, can someone supply his email address. I'm too lazy to search.

Mr. Bayley,

I am writing this after 20+ years of sailing with RCI to make you aware of an ongoing health issue aboard your ships and it has to do with sound levels in some of the entertainment areas. I have found this to be an ongoing issue, particularly in the main theater and Studio B. I have heard this complaint from many people and I, as a physician, claim it is a health issue.

I recently completed the February 3rd sailing of Odessey of the Seas. After attending a show in the main theater, I believe the act was called The Rookies, where the sound was so loud that I found myself with hearing difficulties that didn't fully resolve until sometime the following afternoon. Though I have encountered uncomfortable sound levels in the past on your ships this is the first time I have had to deal with the aftermath for a prolonged length of time following the exposure.

The health issues on hearing from exposure to loud noise is well know. It takes little time to do a search to get information on decibel levels, pressure waves, and length of exposure to put the pieces together. Anyone who is controlling the sound boards in the ship venues should be well versed in this subject. If they are not the RCI needs to address its hiring protocols.

I am bringing this issue to your attention in the hope that you will rectify the situation. I would find it disappointing to say the least if RCI did not take seriously the harm that these sound levels can do to its guests.

Maybe just me but I don't see your letter in your post

Here is his email address mbayley@rccl.com

@Jimbo has another one that he recommended on the WC thread maybe send to both addresses

Edited by Sunshine3601
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Here is his email address mbayley@rccl.com

@Jimbo has another one that he recommended on the WC thread maybe send to both addresses

You can't see it???? Does this show?

Mr. Bayley,

• Like 24
  • Thanks 3

4 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I can't see it either. Both Laptop and phone show a big, blank screen.

It must be written in invisible ink.😉

Edited by HBE4
  • Haha 5

3 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Mr. Bayley,

Now I see it.

• Like 1

DIL1 got admitted into the hospital last night.  Her H2O broke.  She’s only 36 weeks along. They texted us and DH has been giving them advice.  It was like he was on-call in the middle of the night all over again except he doesn’t  have to go in now.

Update now is:  She is in labor.  Stay tune.

Edited by FromSea2ShiningSea
  • Like 17
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Mr. Bayley,

Perfect.  You will (hopefully) get a better response to this issue being a physician with personal experience.   Although you mention that you have heard this complaint from other people, you may want to add that you would be willing to provide names of these other people should that be helpful to them.  It's easy for people to say that "others" have the same problem that they have when that's not necessarily true.  Offering to back up your statement with names may help give it more weight.

I would be happy to volunteer Micheline's experience where she can't be in most of their entertainment venues for more than a couple of minutes without triggering her tinnitus and causing pain.  I'm sure that plenty of other people here would be equally willing to share their negative experiences.  Thanks for doing this.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, FromSea2ShiningSea said:

DIL1 got admitted in the hospital last night.  Her H2O broke.  She’s only 36 weeks along. They texted us and DH has been giving them advice.  It was like he was on all in the middle of the night all over again.  

Im thinking of you and her and hoping everything goes smoothly.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, FromSea2ShiningSea said:

DIL1 got admitted in the hospital last night.  Her H2O broke.  She’s only 36 weeks along. They texted us and DH has been giving them advice.  It was like he was on all in the middle of the night all over again.  

Best of luck to your DIL!  I'm far from a medical expert, but we did have a OBGYN tell us that a baby really only needs 38 weeks and the last couple of weeks (up to 40) are just bonus time.  Not exactly what a woman wants to hear when she's a week overdue, but that stuck with me.  

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, FromSea2ShiningSea said:

ONLY 36 weeks is a plenty long enough gestion. Good luck!

• Like 6

22 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Mr. Bayley,

Thanks for doing this. I have experienced the loud sound levels on just about every cruise on various Royal Caribbean ships. Hopefully your experience as as physician will cause Royal Caribbean to address this issue with their sound and lighting techs.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Mr. Bayley,

I think this is a good letter. It expresses your professional concerns and is about something that could benefit their guests health. 

Now me joking. If RC was affiliated with Holland America I could understand the loud volume but we aren’t the same demographic of guests.😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 10

44 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Mr. Bayley,

I am bringing this issue to your attention in the hope that you will rectify the situation. I would find it disappointing to say the least if RCI did not take seriously the harm that these sound levels can do to its guests and your employee's(crew) that are on your ships.

I would add the above in red also.

• Like 5

50 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Mr. Bayley,

I think it is fine. I would just correct the spelling of Odyssey. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Luckynana said:

Have a great time with Deb and Andy, Jen!  Looking forward to seeing you and Dave, and Graham and Nikki!  Have you been on Beyond before?

First time!!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

Perfect.  You will (hopefully) get a better response to this issue being a physician with personal experience.   Although you mention that you have heard this complaint from other people, you may want to add that you would be willing to provide names of these other people should that be helpful to them.  It's easy for people to say that "others" have the same problem that they have when that's not necessarily true.  Offering to back up your statement with names may help give it more weight.

I would be happy to volunteer Micheline's experience where she can't be in most of their entertainment venues for more than a couple of minutes without triggering her tinnitus and causing pain.  I'm sure that plenty of other people here would be equally willing to share their negative experiences.  Thanks for doing this.

@Ocean Boy , Susan and I would also be happy to share our experiences as well.  Excellent letter. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Great suggestion. I will add it. Thank you.

I agree, adding Jimbo's suggestion and correcting the spelling of Odyssey you have a well written letter.    Please keep us posted if you receive a response.    Thank you for taking your time to do this😊

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

Love seeing this in my inbox. 😁

image.png.e42ae99bd535fb206779142f825d284a.png

One more sleep until Punta Cana. It's been a while since we've been to an AI but it seems very much like a cruise on land, but with bigger "cabins", and hopefully better food.  Live music and various activities throughout the day and a show every evening in the theater.

Have a wonderful trip!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, HBE4 said:

I can't see it either. Both Laptop and phone show a big, blank screen.

It must be written in invisible ink.😉

White font. If you highlight it, you can read it in OB's original post.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2